PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Gretsch Hollow Body?

Stratoben127
12-15-2011, 07:02 AM
Well I was watching a video of Crosby Still Nash and Young doing Down By The River and they were all playing either big Gretsch Archtops or Gibson Archtops. I'm pretty interested in a nice Gretsch type of guitar and primarily would like a white falcon with filter'trons like Neil's but I just bought an LP and don't have the $$. I also really like the 335. Is there a good guitar that is sort of a combination of the two? Maybe the double cut Electromatic? I think an Epi Sheraton with some TV Jones pickups would give a similar vibe but again I'm into the Gretsch thing a bit more. I think it's unique unlike my Strat and LP. Sooo suggestions? It doesn't need to be a Gretsch but sort of that vibe. Like a Gretsch 335 sorta thing.

Stratoben127
12-15-2011, 07:22 AM
I'm also playing through a Fender amp with pedals and it needs to be sub $1000. Maybe a Hanson Chicagoan or an Eastwood?

sonicD
12-15-2011, 08:00 AM
First thing you need to do is figure out if you want a real hollowbody like the Falcon, or a semi-hollow like the 335. Two completely different styles of guitar, with different tonal response and feel.

If you want the hollow, there’s a fair number of “under a grand” choices – Gretsch’s own Electromatic line, the Ibanez Artcore line (which seem to get consistently good reviews), and the new Epiphone Swingster Royale, which is a pretty blatant knock-off of a Falcon, albeit in a slightly smaller body.

(btw, that Epi Royale line's also got a couple semi-hollows in it...)

Lot’s of stuff out there. Play as many as you can and go with the one you like best.

OM Flyer
12-15-2011, 09:42 AM
I'm pretty interested in a nice Gretsch . I also really like the 335. Is there a good guitar that is sort of a combination of the two?

IMO, not really, given the hollow vs semi difference. But the thinner G5122 has less of the hollow sound of the G5120, so it might get the job done.

Also take a look at a Reverend Club King RT - it's a semi-hollow with a solid spruce top and Gretsch-style pickups:

http://www.molletmusic.com/images/products/large/club_king_rt_page.jpg

chequepoint
12-15-2011, 09:44 AM
If you look, you can pick up the Tennessee Rose with Filtertrons/Bigsby/F Holes for ~$1000. I see them a lot down here.

Stratoben127
12-15-2011, 10:18 AM
I'm actually really interested in Reverends. I was on their site yesterday just checking out the solid bodies.

440gtx6pak
12-15-2011, 10:29 AM
Well I was watching a video of Crosby Still Nash and Young doing Down By The River and they were all playing either big Gretsch Archtops or Gibson Archtops.

That comment made me search for it on Youtube.
What an amazing performance even with (or maybe despite) the hippie antics. But great none-the-less.

8jxs0ybnsEQ

440gtx6pak
12-15-2011, 10:43 AM
As to the guitar why not just get a cheaper Gretsch? It is possible with coupon deals over the phone to get these for about $600 to $650. If you want this tone, you have to stick with fully hollow in general.

Below is the cheaper version of the 6120, and the 6120 is to Gretsch what the Les Paul is to Gibson in terms of icon status, so it is a good place to start.

Gretsch 5120:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gretsch-guitars-g5120-electromatic-hollowbody-electric-guitar

Stratoben127
12-15-2011, 11:26 AM
Ha! That's the video that started this. Love it. Had to watch it in the bathroom during my English test just now (I'm 14).

Stratoben127
12-15-2011, 11:48 AM
That 5120 doesn't seem to have the classic Gretsch pickups. What are they?

L_Totti
12-15-2011, 12:08 PM
I've had some Electromatics (and still have the Steel) and they're great , but I don't think they're as attractive as the 'real' Gretschs. Eastwood makes a beautiful Gretsch-style semi-hollow (the Classic 6 IIRC).

Stratoben127
12-15-2011, 12:17 PM
That was actually the Eastwood I was looking at. Have you played it?

L_Totti
12-15-2011, 12:23 PM
That was actually the Eastwood I was looking at. Have you played it?

Not yet , but the demos sound very nice.
lShygMyiBAs

440gtx6pak
12-15-2011, 12:55 PM
That 5120 doesn't seem to have the classic Gretsch pickups. What are they?

They are humbuckers. TV Jones does make nice Filtertrons that will fit. They are called 'English-Mount' and they also have proper mounting rings that are compatible. But add those and now the cost becomes prohibitive.

My solution was I bought a used 6120 with stock Filtertrons for $1,500, but I think that is out of your pricing. The factory Filtertrons in the higher end Gretsches, made in the last few are actually pretty good now and comparable to TV Jones.

sonicD
12-15-2011, 12:57 PM
Eastwoods seem to get a mixed reception around here. Do a search on 'em. Kind of a shame, 'cus I've always wanted an Airline MAP and they do such a good looking reissue.

The Reverend Club King's very nice for a semi-hollow. Mine's the P90 loaded version, nothing much Gretsch-ish about it. I'm guessing that with RevTrons in it, it would ratchet up the twang factor pretty good. The neck feels very Strat-like, but flatter. It's got a LesTrem on it now, which I like a lot, but I've always wondered how it would do with a Bigsby...

Pa'ani
12-15-2011, 02:44 PM
I recently acquired a Gretsch 5120 that was totally modded and upgraded by a fellow TGP'er.
It had a fret dress and bone nut installed and complete setup, TV Jones Pickups installed, a Tru Arc Copper bridge, and a 1 inch Bigsby spring all the work was done at True-Tone Music Santa Monica, CA. What an incredible job that they did, it plays and sounds absolutely phenomenal.

I've installed a set of Sperzel locking tuners that made it totally complete and no tuning issues at all.
I've played and tried several of the shelf Gretsch 5120 at GC and they were not set up at all, they felt terrible and sounded really anemic and bad.
Now after some great upgrades and mods this Gretsch 5120 really shines and will definitely keep up with it's big brother Gretsch 6120 series and other models.

SPROING!
12-15-2011, 03:49 PM
I played some of them Eastwoods and they look better than they sound. Oughta be priced about $200 cheaper.
The newest 5120s have a rebuilt gretschbucker that's a lot closer to the real deal than the ones they made even six months ago. A big improvement.
If you want gretsch, there just really ain't no substitute for the real thing.
And a big part of that is BIG body and hollow. Semis don't get there.

Stratoben127
12-15-2011, 05:44 PM
What about some of the big Ibanez Artcores?

Bob Pollock
12-15-2011, 05:54 PM
The Gretsch 512X series are very good guitars for the money, but the humbucking pickups are just that, generic humbuckers. The TV Jones pickup upgrade brings them very close to Pro Line territory.

Stratoben127
12-15-2011, 06:59 PM
I've seen the full TV Jones mod kit. I think I'll do that. Just like Neil's that he traded for Old Black!

LoFi
12-15-2011, 07:18 PM
The biggest difference between the Electromatics and the Pro series besides the electronics to me is the neck shape. 5120's have a much thicker neck, not as comfy as a 6120 IMO.

chequepoint
12-15-2011, 09:58 PM
As to the guitar why not just get a cheaper Gretsch? It is possible with coupon deals over the phone to get these for about $600 to $650. If you want this tone, you have to stick with fully hollow in general.

Below is the cheaper version of the 6120, and the 6120 is to Gretsch what the Les Paul is to Gibson in terms of icon status, so it is a good place to start.

Gretsch 5120:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gretsch-guitars-g5120-electromatic-hollowbody-electric-guitar

It fascinates me that people recommend these Electromatic guitars whenever anyone is looking for a Gretsch, but I never see anyone recommend an Epiphone when someone is looking for a cheap Gibson. The only thing I can figure is that its the headstock.

vortexxxx
12-15-2011, 10:00 PM
You can't go wrong with a White Falcon. I'm not really a fan of Electromatics. The pickups aren't so great.

Stratoben127
12-16-2011, 04:43 AM
Having money to live would go wrong of I bought the White Falcon.

Waxhead
12-16-2011, 01:25 PM
Well I was watching a video of Crosby Still Nash and Young doing Down By The River and they were all playing either big Gretsch Archtops or Gibson Archtops. I'm pretty interested in a nice Gretsch type of guitar and primarily would like a white falcon with filter'trons like Neil's but I just bought an LP and don't have the $$. I also really like the 335. Is there a good guitar that is sort of a combination of the two? Maybe the double cut Electromatic? I think an Epi Sheraton with some TV Jones pickups would give a similar vibe but again I'm into the Gretsch thing a bit more. I think it's unique unlike my Strat and LP. Sooo suggestions? It doesn't need to be a Gretsch but sort of that vibe. Like a Gretsch 335 sorta thing.

I recommend you go an Electromatic and upgrade it with TV Jones Classics.
Electromatics are THE best value for money mid-priced guitars available today imo.

Buying a non Gretsch guitar like an Eastwood will not get you close to the great Gretsch sound.
There's far more to Gretsch than just the PUPs :)