PDA

View Full Version : POD HD500 humble attempt at two Dumble tones

OverHTheHill
12-17-2011, 05:27 PM
Clean and overdrive. Just put this quick thing together to demonstrate the two patches. Until line 6 add Dumble Models, there are a few ways that you can get close I think. Just for the record I never owned a Dumble, I'm just going by what I heard and the little knowledge I know about Dumbles.
http://soundcloud.com/overthehill/pod-hd-attempt-at-two-dumble

coderKen
12-17-2011, 05:44 PM
Sounds pretty good! Care to share those patches? Also, what kind of guitar did you record that with?

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

OverHTheHill
12-17-2011, 06:01 PM
Thanks. Sorry I forgot to Upload the Patches (must be really over the Hill). But here they are. The Guitar is a home made Strat with Kinman Woodstock Plus set.

Cumble Clean 45 is the Clean patch, I used the volume knob to clean up the sound so the patch at full is dirty but not quite uesable for that but it really cleans nicely to my taste.

Dumble overdrive is the second patch. Both of these utilize the new input impedence as of firmware 1.4 so they might not sound the same on earlier firmware.

http://line6.com/customtone/profile/OverHTheHill/

stratchamp57
12-17-2011, 06:51 PM
That sounds nice. :aok How do you go about copying amps like that?

OverHTheHill
12-17-2011, 07:06 PM
Glad you think it's good. The way I approach the POD HD is knowing that line 6 model the amps behavior including knobs and everything they can so if I'm interested in an Amp, I'll do some research (no engineering involved here. I try to make simple). The dumble has two overdrive stages from little that I gathered and uses 6L6 Power tubes (most american AMPS use them and the JTM45 also uses these). SO I figured I'll chain two overdrives and try out some amp that use 6L6 tubes. From there it's whatever sounds good and gives infinite sustain.
That sounds nice. :aok How do you go about copying amps like that?

Excelsis
12-18-2011, 03:56 AM
Why you have 3 reverbs and two of them have decay and pre delay at 0?
And that solo tone is soo smoth, just as I like, I'll try your patches when Ill get my HD back from friend... :)
Thanks...

OverHTheHill
12-18-2011, 05:28 AM
The reverbs are there to give the sound some depth. Using more than one reverb in a row is a different sound than using One reverb. When you use one reverb and set the mix high enough to be equal that of two or three reverbs you seem to loose some of the body of the sound. This in a way resembles real world applications because when you play your guitar in a room, the speaker inside the cabinet that's one reverb, the whole room is another reverb and inside that whole room there might be other objects that the sound goes through, couch, furniture etc. I'm not sure if that's a scientific way of looking at it, but one reverb usually doesn't account for these as little chambers that have their own reverbs, so using more than one reverb seems to do the trick sometimes, even one you're using the best reverb boxes ever made.

Setting the decay and predelay at zero using the line 6 reverbs still add depth. When you get the patch, try turning of the reverb and you will see that alot of the sound is gone. Thanks for chiming in.:)

Why you have 3 reverbs and two of them have decay and pre delay at 0?
And that solo tone is soo smoth, just as I like, I'll try your patches when Ill get my HD back from friend... :)
Thanks...

fatherjacques
12-18-2011, 03:15 PM
Here is a quick take on Robben Ford and Larry Carlton THAT ROAD SONG. My HD 500 guitar tone is panned left. I was pretty rusty not playing for months but I had fun trying to get that sound.

http://soundcloud.com/fatherjacques/that-road-robben-ford-test-pod

OverHTheHill
12-18-2011, 03:33 PM
Really nice. I'd like that patch if possible. thanks
Here is a quick take on Robben Ford and Larry Carlton THAT ROAD SONG. My HD 500 guitar tone is panned left. I was pretty rusty not playing for months but I had fun trying to get that sound.

http://soundcloud.com/fatherjacques/that-road-robben-ford-test-pod

fatherjacques
12-18-2011, 03:41 PM
I made a patch on my HD 500 that I tweak depending of the sound I want to get. This patch responds very well to volume and tone knob changes.

It is a mix of Threadplate and DR Z. I adjust the parameters to suit the guitar i use. In that case it was my Artist V PRS.

http://line6.com/customtone/profile/fatherjacques/

DRS
12-18-2011, 04:42 PM
Clean and overdrive. Just put this quick thing together to demonstrate the two patches. Until line 6 add Dumble Models, there are a few ways that you can get close I think. Just for the record I never owned a Dumble, I'm just going by what I heard and the little knowledge I know about Dumbles.
It sounds more compressed than many Dumble clips I've heards. Maybe more of a Boogie IIc tone? But it still a great tone and great playing.

OverHTheHill
12-18-2011, 07:26 PM
Thanks for that. I actually did notice that and it's really funny that you should say MarkIIC because this was my go to lead tone and I guess somehow when we edit sounds, we seem to end up in the same spot/ballbaprk no matter what amp we use:rotflmao. I actually made a request at the line6 website for a MarkIIC. I will definitely give this another shot with a different amp other than the twin because I was still missing some sizzle that I was trying to get.

It sounds more compressed than many Dumble clips I've heards. Maybe more of a Boogie IIc tone? But it still a great tone and great playing.

rbnum1fan
12-18-2011, 07:29 PM
I downloaded your patches last nite,good stuff!!!

fr8_trane
12-18-2011, 07:47 PM
Liked the 2nd clip alot. Good tone but not really dumbly to my ears. the patch is really interesting. I'm not a fan of the dist + real or simulated but somehow you make TWO stacked together into a clean fender sound good.

I have had better luck getting the smooth dumble tone using the bassman bright or Dr. Z as the base amp. The gibtone can also be interesting. You have to experiment with the cabs as i have yet to hear an amp besides the Dr. Z that sounds best with the default cab. 9 times out of 10 i end up with the Dr. z cab regardless of amp.

How did you record this? You are on the verge of feedback at 2:14 on the 2nd Ford clip. Did you run though a real cab and mic?

OverHTheHill
12-18-2011, 07:48 PM
Glad they worked for you. I will be uploading few more before the holiday now that I have a few days of free time. I downloaded your patches last nite,good stuff!!!

arthur rotfeld
12-18-2011, 07:58 PM
Good sounds!

guitarnet70
12-19-2011, 02:39 AM
Nice tonez!

mojotele65
12-19-2011, 06:59 AM

Nice job. I will be downloading your patches tonight.

OverHTheHill
12-19-2011, 12:14 PM
Thanks everyone hope you find the patches useful.

coderKen
12-19-2011, 12:56 PM
The Guitar is a home made Strat with Kinman Woodstock Plus set.

I know is a little off topic but, what do you think of the Kinmans? I'm considering putting a set of the woodstocks in my strat to replace my texas specials. I really like the sound of the texas specials but, I can't take the single coil hum anymore. I want a silent strat.

OverHTheHill
12-19-2011, 01:39 PM
Not at all.
The Kinman's have spoiled every other pickup I have as I don't play any of my other guitars. Not only they're quiter than my humbuckers or any other noiseless pickups, but to me they sound better. I've had Lace Silver, Dimarzio Fat strat, Seymour Duncan various pickups but nothing sounds as Hi Fi and responsive to your playing like the Kinmans. Not even factoring the noiseless aspect of the Kinman, I personally think they sound better than any strat pick and I would chose them now even if they had noise, but they don't and that's impressive.

I'm probably going to outfit every guitar I have with the other Kinmans set when I have a chance just to hear his take on the other sounds.
The woodstock Plus are the Hendrix Sound but they seem to be a compromise and work for most of what I do and that includes hard rock and metal.

I know is a little off topic but, what do you think of the Kinmans? I'm considering putting a set of the woodstocks in my strat to replace my texas specials. I really like the sound of the texas specials but, I can't take the single coil hum anymore. I want a silent strat.