PDA

View Full Version : Opinions of the Peavey 16FX?

mtmartin71
01-03-2012, 09:57 AM
We've got a Yamaha board right now and we're using this for small club work where pretty much all the places we play do not have a sound system. The biggest limitation of that board is it only has a couple of unique submixes for output so I have to share and can't dictate levels. We're now looking close at this Peavey 16FX which would have the control we'd want. I just don't have a lot of good history with Peavey. My impression is it's not far removed from Behringer (a brand I don't view highly).

Anyone have any good experience with the Peavey stuff? Any alternatives? My bassist is telling me this is the only mixer with 4 sub mixes for monitors fitting the current mixer rack footprint.

Charlie_Strat
01-03-2012, 11:34 AM
I had it a couple years ago. I was just a fine mixer, not impressive but far better than anything Behringer. I'd never use a case for it so I lost some channels due to dust and other crappy "bar-stuff". I would say it's on the same level than the MG Yamaha mixers (musically)...

I believe that Allen & Heat has a rack size mixer with 6 aux sends...

Jerry
01-03-2012, 12:31 PM
Allen & Heath Mix Wixard !

mtmartin71
01-03-2012, 12:56 PM
Allen & Heath Mix Wixard !

Is it the Allen & Heath MixWizard3 16:2? That one is $999 which is only $100 more than the Peavey. There's one in there for $1999 which is overkill for our needs. Sweetwater reviews on the Allen & Heath were all VERY positive.

modulusman
01-03-2012, 01:55 PM
I bought a used 16fx and had a problem where the mains cut out completely. This was a known problem that some of the boards had. Sent it back to Peavey and they fixed it for free even though it wasn't under warranty. The new ones that were manufactured in the last year have the problem fixed IIRC. I really like mine and had used another older 16fx and 32fx that worked fine.

BigGee
01-03-2012, 08:43 PM
I've been using my 16fx board for gigs & band practice. It's held up great, hasn't had any problems, and I really like the 4 aux sends. Some of the digital output features are nice, but I don't care for the effects.