PDA

View Full Version : Can someone tell me , what "F spaced Humbuckers" means?

stratneck
01-08-2012, 09:52 PM
and also, in order to have a split coil tap knob, do they have to be two leads
or four leads..... Thank you for you advise, I am knew in the world of HB...

SteveO
01-08-2012, 09:57 PM
"F" spaced pickups have a slightly wider pole spacing to accomodate the wider saddle spacing on guitars with trem bridges. I have heard it referred to as both "Fender spacing" and "Floyd (Rose)" spacing about equally over the years.

As for coil splitting, it is much easier with a four-conductor lead, as one of the coils is shunted to ground to remove it from the circuit.

John Coloccia
01-08-2012, 10:00 PM
"F" spaced means the pole pieces are a bit further apart to better match the spacing of modern electrics. I believe it used to mean "Floyd", but really anything wider than ABOUT 2 1/16" (about) is approaching F spaced territory. I've seen plenty of Les Paul style guitars that might benefit from F spaced bridge pickups.

You need at least 3 leads to split a humbucking pickup. 4 is typical. No way to do it with 2 without modifying the pickup although depending on the pickup, a good tech may be able to modify it.

halfnote
01-08-2012, 10:58 PM
I like 2" string spacing best..... Dimarzio's suit me just fine.

TattooedCarrot
01-08-2012, 11:04 PM
Duncan calls theirs, trembuckers.

wes37
01-08-2012, 11:22 PM
Fender guitars are wider at the bridge than Gibson, so a Gibson humbucker wouldn't cover the spread correctly (note EVH's crooked pickup that tried to compromise). F-spacing just means that it is designed to fit the spacing of Fender-type guitars.

XmasTree
01-09-2012, 12:25 AM
Dimarzios F spacing actually fits modern 24.75" scale gibson style guitars perfectly.
...i bought a "normal spaced" Super Distortion and it was TOO SMALL for a regular 24.75" w/ TOM bridge!!!!!

what a crock of shit that is!! ....i don't understand what Dimarzio is thinking
SOOO.....as far as Dimarzio goes, EVERYTHING is F spaced besides 50s Gibsons

stratneck
01-09-2012, 07:22 AM
But... How many Fender guitars you see w/ Humbuckers ???... Most of HB users are LP,SG,
Hamer's and I can go on.....It is a crock of shit !!..

Flyin' Brian
01-09-2012, 07:53 AM
But... How many Fender guitars you see w/ Humbuckers ???... Most of HB users are LP,SG,

So overnight you went form not knowing that it existed to it becoming a crock of shit. Interesting.

Fenders with humbuckers may not be the norm, but many players have proven that it's far from a crock of shit.

I modified a Strat Plus to a Big Apple Strat. I've had it forever and it's one of the most versatile guitars I've ever owned.

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h159/brian329/Gear/DSC01152.jpg

donnievaz
01-09-2012, 08:42 AM

WTF? Ever heard the term Superstrat? There are millions of trem equipped Fender style guitars out there that use these. How is it a "crock of shit"?

John Coloccia
01-09-2012, 08:56 AM
Just pretend the "F" means "Frickin wider than without the 'F' ", and that will remove all confusion. Has nothing at all to do with Strats, trems, Floyds, Gibsons, whatever. At one time it made just a little more sense. Now it means that if your spacing at the bridge is wider than about 2 1/16....or even at 2 1/16, use wider spacing. If you have tight spacing, like 1.9", then use normal spacing. How this can be controversial is beyond me.

stratneck
01-09-2012, 11:59 AM
Man!!! I did not mean to ruffle ant fedders..... How sensitive we are !....I am a Strat and Tele player, just got a nice HB guitar, and want to drop some different pup's, and all I here, is F spaced and what have you.....So, that is the reason I asked.... And the fact remains, that is a very low percentage of Strats /w HB....My two cents.....

A-Bone
01-09-2012, 12:05 PM
Man!!! I did not mean to ruffle ant fedders..... How sensitive we are !....I am a Strat and Tele player, just got a nice HB guitar, and want to drop some different pup's, and all I here, is F spaced and what have you.....So, that is the reason I asked.... And the fact remains, that is a very low percentage of Strats /w HB....My two cents.....

If by "Strats" you mean specifically Fender-produced Stratocasters with stock humbucking pick-ups, then the percentage is comparatively small -- meaning more literal Fender Stratocasters are produced and sold with single coil pick-ups.

However, if you are looking at the entire constellation of Strat-styled instruments from the plethora of companies, you cannot reasonably claim that the percentage of S-style guitars with a humbucker or humbuckers is low, at all.

This is not a matter of opinion, but of observable reality.

stratneck
01-09-2012, 04:32 PM
What I meant, was Fender- produce Strats.... I know there are Other brands, that lean more towards HB o combo of the two...

rockinlespaul
01-09-2012, 04:41 PM
So basically, when you come across a Les Paul and the strings are not directly over the polepieces and are instead on the outside of them, a F spaced pickup would benefit. Correct?

b3john
01-09-2012, 04:45 PM
OBTW, different Fender bridges have different widths. Best to measure for your particular application.