PDA

View Full Version : Roy Buchanan - PBS Documentary (YouTube)

zappateer1
01-19-2012, 06:48 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3ZfQ47sISo

Just in case you folks weren't aware that it was back up. A present set of uploads of the same documentary are now down (the account was deleted).

It's the 1971 PBS documentary, 'Introducing Roy Buchanan'.

The source of his cracking version of 'Misty' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5_kkK8Y2Ts)

markophonic
01-19-2012, 08:03 AM
I haven't seem that in years...

Roy never seemed comfortable in his own skin.

I could listen to him do volume swells for days

84Bravo
01-19-2012, 01:14 PM
Thanks for posting this. I saw it when it orginally came out and always wondered why it was never shown again. I was able to see Roy play a few times and meet him, for which I'm always thankful. He's one of those guys who plays two notes and you know who it is. Nobody else like him.

Lespaulsignature 74
01-19-2012, 03:32 PM
First time I ever saw this! I do remember a PBS documentary titled Roy Buchanan, The worlds greatest unknown guitarist...or something like that. Anyway, I remember the first time I heard Roy's ...The Messiah will Come Again, my jaw dropped. I regret that I never got to see him perform.

MORE BARN
01-19-2012, 05:14 PM
Wish he had done more of his own vocals. To me it always seemed as if it was a better fit-regardless of technical ability-than just pasting studio session guys over his stuff.

zappateer1
01-19-2012, 05:40 PM
First time I ever saw this! I do remember a PBS documentary titled Roy Buchanan, The worlds greatest unknown guitarist...or something like that.

From Wikipedia:

'Buchanan's life changed in 1971, when he gained national notoriety as the result of an hour-long PBS television documentary. Entitled Introducing Roy Buchanan, and sometimes mistakenly called The Best Unknown Guitarist in the World, it earned a record deal with Polydor and praise from John Lennon and Merle Haggard, besides an alleged invitation to join the Rolling Stones (which he turned down).'

mmrxcsr01
01-19-2012, 09:30 PM
Barn, be careful what you ask for. Roy had a voice, but it was on guitar. Listen to Billy Price's vocals on the tunes he did with Roy, and appreciate the guitar....

uberdave
01-20-2012, 02:45 AM
Damn, thanks so much, I've heard 'bout this for over twenty years.
First person to tell me about Roy, was Walter Trout. I quess Walter spend
some time watching Roy play in the D.C. area as youth. Thanks again.

Rad Skronker
01-20-2012, 02:51 AM
I've never seen this doc before.

It's great to get a look into who Roy was.
He definitely had a lot on his mind and you can tell it weighed him down.

Thanks for posting the link.

guitarjazz
01-20-2012, 03:09 AM
That was a life-changing show . Too bad PBS can't put it out on DVD.

gmann
01-20-2012, 07:09 AM
That was a life-changing show . Too bad PBS can't put it out on DVD.

I'm curious, why can't they? Don't they have the rights to it? It seems like it would be a win-win for everyone involved.

DRS
01-20-2012, 09:49 AM
I'll watch this later:)