PDA

View Full Version : PROBLEM with volume swell, EVH vol. pot with Barden p/up tele

ManUBobby7
01-29-2012, 04:41 PM
I used the EVH speed pot with my Antiquity 2 loaded strat - NO PROBLEMS

I use it with my tele with Joe Barden pickups in it and when i do a volume swell and there's a volume "bump" or glitch half way thru. My luthier put in a capacitor and it smoothed it out, but now the volume STARTS at 60% and goes smoothly to %100.

He's out of ideas. The EVH volume pot in question is 250K, i read bardens don't work well with 500K pots.

BTW I had the volume knob routed closer to the bridge like a strat incase you're wondering how I do the Jeff Beck volume swells on a tele.

So please someone with the right know how help me out, its an amazing sounding guitar but cant live with volume kicking in at 60% instead of a gradual increase.

Thanks in advance, Bob

ManUBobby7
02-01-2012, 06:32 PM
No one had this problem with a workable solution eh? .......

snakestretcher
02-01-2012, 07:08 PM
Faulty pot?

Tone_Terrific
02-01-2012, 07:12 PM
The response of a pot depends on its taper.
Various types have been available, commonly, audio and linear.
The response/feel can be altered by using a RESISTOR across the hot to middle lug...experiment freely...50k to 100k..as a starter point.

ManUBobby7
02-02-2012, 11:49 AM
Could you expand on that a bit, so I'll know what to tell my Luthier, I'm quite the layman. Thanks by the way, very helpful. This tele if I can get it working properly, has become my fav, with the bardens and all. Thanks, Bob

Tone_Terrific
02-02-2012, 06:37 PM
http://www.jt30.com/jt30page/potfix/

Here's a page that sort of explains the principle.
I'd run it from hot to middle but you can't hurt anything by trying all the variations.
Somebody around tgp likely can explain it with graphs and equations.

ManUBobby7
02-02-2012, 07:05 PM
The response of a pot depends on its taper.
Various types have been available, commonly, audio and linear.
The response/feel can be altered by using a RESISTOR across the hot to middle lug...experiment freely...50k to 100k..as a starter point.

http://www.jt30.com/jt30page/potfix/

Here's a page that sort of explains the principle.
I'd run it from hot to middle but you can't hurt anything by trying all the variations.
Somebody around tgp likely can explain it with graphs and equations.

Thanks, I'll show that to him. My strat works fine with the EVH 250K pot - gorgeous swells - I'm thinking its because the barden pickups in the tele are so powerful its causing an overload or something .... IDK, thanks again

Tone_Terrific
02-02-2012, 08:33 PM
Thanks, I'll show that to him. My strat works fine with the EVH 250K pot - gorgeous swells - I'm thinking its because the barden pickups in the tele are so powerful its causing an overload or something .... IDK, thanks again

I reread your original post and by that description you can't overlook the possibility of a defective pot, either, as was mentioned.
A substitute could be just clipped in to test.
Tele's are easy to work on, there.

ManUBobby7
02-03-2012, 10:13 AM
I reread your original post and by that description you can't overlook the possibility of a defective pot, either, as was mentioned.
A substitute could be just clipped in to test.
Tele's are easy to work on, there.

The blend pot i had installed isn't giving me the neck pickup now too. Man its one thing after another. I just hope its not a faulty neck pickup, because the bardens are only 2 months old, and the FIRST neck pickup was faulty ... what are the odds eh?

ManUBobby7
03-28-2012, 01:02 AM
PROBLEM SOLVED!! Simple solution that was overlooked. The joe Barden pickups were too high and close to the strings. Lowering the pickups got rid of the extra hotness of the signal that would over load when using the volume swell. Incidently, I also got the guitar tech to put the adjustent screws outside the pickguard, so I can adjust it on the fly.

FYI if anyone is interested, Barden pickups really need to be tweaked height wise, they can sound tinny and too hot if installed at too high a height. Be patient , theyre great pickups :D