PDA

View Full Version : Does a tapped/split humbucker sound like a traditional single coil?

exodus
02-09-2012, 09:46 AM
Would a humbucker in a strat (bridge position) sound like a traditional single coil if tapped/split? (not sure of the right terminology here). All things being equal, I just wondering if you can have the best of both worlds here...

mark norwine
02-09-2012, 09:49 AM
IMO, not even close.

sfarnell
02-09-2012, 09:51 AM
Yes, in the sense that a P-90 is a "traditional" single coil. It does not sound like a strat single coil. There is usually a substantial volume drop when coils are split.

The best sounding HB pickups when split are the PRS DGT pickups. Seems like the volume drop is less and the bridge pickup when split does a pretty good imitation of a tele bridge pickup. But, to me, it still sounds more like a P-90.

taez555
02-09-2012, 10:39 AM
It depends what you consider a traditional single coil.

Splitting has its own unique sound. To give you an idea, I think I played just about everything here in split mode.
SVTWSfFNe4Q

Here's another video I made about series/parallel/single coil splitting. In the second half I have a whole bunch of sound samples, with different gain pedals, to hear the difference.
WxbaBWPTT2k

If you listen closely to some of the clean tone, you really can hear the difference between parallel and split, and how the the splits really do have that more traditional bright single coil sound.
I've never had any significant volume drops.

27sauce
02-09-2012, 10:42 AM
Yes, in the sense that a P-90 is a "traditional" single coil. It does not sound like a strat single coil. There is usually a substantial volume drop when coils are split.

The best sounding HB pickups when split are the PRS DGT pickups. Seems like the volume drop is less and the bridge pickup when split does a pretty good imitation of a tele bridge pickup. But, to me, it still sounds more like a P-90.

I think split coils sound more like shit than a P-90. I've never heard one that was even close to a P-90.

SNick
02-09-2012, 10:42 AM
I have had coil splits in 4 different brands of guitars. To me they just sound like a weaker version of the same humbucker. Not worth it for me. If you need a single coil sound get a Strat. or Tele.

Wayne Alexander
02-09-2012, 10:47 AM
Take a look at the Joe Barden Duo-Tone humbucker. It's a good humbucker in one mode, and a Barden S-Deluxe noiseless strat pickup in the other mode. There are good demos of it on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx9iQSckuOI&feature=player_embedded

Chicago Slim
02-09-2012, 10:54 AM

+1

The PRS Starla pickups, also sound good when split.

I've owned a lot of guitars with splitable coils, including other PRSi. Most humbuckers just sound weak. PRS seems to be getting better at it.

BlueHeaven
02-09-2012, 10:55 AM
Split coil buckers CAN sound good...given the right application. However, they will not sound "just like" a Strat, Tele, Junior, or whatever so don't expect that.

RCM78
02-09-2012, 11:14 AM
No, I've never played a slpit bucker that sounded like a real single coil. But I do feel the hotter the humbucker the better it sounds when split...

mark norwine
02-09-2012, 11:14 AM
Take a look at the Joe Barden Duo-Tone humbucker.

Excellent idea.

The Barden's secret is that it isn't split...it's tapped.

Instead of simply killing one coil (which is what splitting does), it gives you half of the windings on both coils. Still humbucking, yet very strat-like.

Of course it's a 6-wire pickup, and if you have no idea how to wire it, you'll have nothing but frustrations. But properly wired, the JB two-tone is about the best you'll find.

RCM78
02-09-2012, 11:19 AM
Excellent idea.

The Barden's secret is that it isn't split...it's tapped.

Instead of simply killing one coil (which is what splitting does), it gives you half of the windings on both coils. Still humbucking, yet very strat-like.

Of course it's a 6-wire pickup, and if you have no idea how to wire it, you'll have nothing but frustrations. But properly wired, the JB two-tone is about the best you'll find.

So it gives you a weaker version of the same pickup?

CharAznable
02-09-2012, 11:22 AM
If you unplug your HB guitar and plug in a Strat, it'll sound weak in comparison.

People expect a split coil to have the same volume when you're cutting the output in half.

That's the inherent limitation that you have to live with.

Personally, I like the split coil sound in my Mira and in my GFS Dream 180 equipped Gretsch 5120.

shredmiyagi
02-09-2012, 11:24 AM
Lace Dually is the best luck I've had with the SC/HB option. And it doesn't sound like a true SC nor HB.

The PRS taps are OK until you grab a Strat and realize what you've been missing...

CharAznable
02-09-2012, 11:28 AM
It certainly is no substitute, but it is handy.

mslugano
02-09-2012, 11:37 AM

A split humbucker will neither sound like a good single coil nor P90 (I've sure never heard anyone make THAT comparison) when split. Usually, the problem is that they sound too thin and lifeless.

There are a couple that do sound pretty good and one, as sfarnell points out, is the DGT (but I am not sure they are on the after market) or the Fralin Unbucker. Both the DGT and the Unbucker are wound in a way that one of the two coils is wound fatter/hotter than the other and when the two are split, you are hearing the fatter/hotter coil. Suhr humbuckers sound pretty good when split too but I don't think they use the DGT or Fralin technique...could be wrong.

Here's a good demo from our TGP friend Lance Keltner demonstrating a Verrilli S type with Fralin Unbuckers. For humbucking pickups, I think these sound fantastic.

SwzAt8_Ncnc&feature=related

dangeroso
02-09-2012, 11:44 AM
It certainly can. Try a Big Apple Strat if you can find one.

BlueHeaven
02-09-2012, 12:14 PM
If you unplug your HB guitar and plug in a Strat, it'll sound weak in comparison.

People expect a split coil to have the same volume when you're cutting the output in half.

That's the inherent limitation that you have to live with.

Personally, I like the split coil sound in my Mira and in my GFS Dream 180 equipped Gretsch 5120.

:agree Yep!

pepi
02-09-2012, 01:36 PM
I've found only one Humbucker that is close. A Seymour Duncan SH11 Custom Custom. Love this hummer split.

Stringrazor
02-09-2012, 01:41 PM
It depends. If everyone knows it's a split HB then nope not even close. If no one knows (stacked HB for example), then sure. :sarcasm

I got decent results with the split wiring of my Duncan Hot Rails pup.

johnh
02-09-2012, 03:11 PM
Not even close, for any split or tapped humbucker I've ever played. Or scratch that - maybe they do sound like single coils, but really lame single coils to my ears.

But I hear that the Fralin Unbucker is pretty good.

Rena Rune
02-09-2012, 05:12 PM
It always sounds weirdly out of phase or something, but it's a fine sound for plinky shit with lots of chorus/reverb or whatever. I don't understand why more guitars don't have it, it may not be a proper Single Coil sound, but it's still great.

Some guitars are particularly good at it, like the Fender Classic Player Jaguar, as it has a sort of fader that blends between a humbucking and coil split sound - basically if you blend in some of the humbucking sound, you get a thicker sound more like a real single coil, or can roll back one of the coils a little to get a slightly more jangly sound. Great stuff.

pbradt
02-09-2012, 05:20 PM
IMO, not even close.

^^^ this.

supa-fuzz
02-09-2012, 05:32 PM
I have a Duncan l'il 59 the bridge of an Esquire, one position is humbucker, the other position is split single coil which sounds like a stock Tele, I can't see why a similiar pickup in a Strat would not give similiar results where it would sound like a stock Strat in single coil mode.

Jesus freak
02-09-2012, 06:14 PM
IMO, not even close.

^ This, in my experience

exodus
02-09-2012, 06:23 PM
interesting comments. thanks for the info guys.

Figaro
02-09-2012, 06:25 PM
No, but 90% of your audience can't tell the difference.

Does a stacked single coil strat pickup sound like a humbucker? No, but 90% of your audience can't tell the difference.

The moral of the story is compromise...

HoboMan
02-09-2012, 06:51 PM
This a Dual Humbucker guitar.
Listen at 1:40 & you'll hear when I switch to splitting the coils.

f0qR1TeYMuI

adaytonguitarist
02-09-2012, 06:54 PM
No, not really. IMO

whiteop
02-09-2012, 06:58 PM
A tad weaker; not quite as much volume as a single coil IME

Baminated
02-09-2012, 07:02 PM
yeah, never dug it - it's always, "almost" - which is never "there"

HoboMan
02-09-2012, 07:04 PM
My Les Paul DC. Jump to 2:16 for some coil splitting strat quack.

E8CUzsw4O7Q

padavis
02-09-2012, 07:05 PM
Whichever Seymour Duncans Ryan Gadow put in the Classic Setneck in 2006 sound amazing split to me. I had a PRS CU22 that was okay at this but nothing near the Gadow. I've got a 79(I'm pretty sure its a 79) ES335TD with the coil tap and those sound kind of funky but not as good as the Gadow

jamdogg
02-09-2012, 07:12 PM
Split coil buckers CAN sound good...given the right application. However, they will not sound "just like" a Strat, Tele, Junior, or whatever so don't expect that.

This.

Dale
02-09-2012, 07:40 PM
Would a humbucker in a strat (bridge position) sound like a traditional single coil if tapped/split? (not sure of the right terminology here). All things being equal, I just wondering if you can have the best of both worlds here...

None I have will do that - at least like any of the strat single I have played.

clemduolian
02-09-2012, 07:48 PM
Unfortunately, there are far too few of them in existence for most folks to have any experience with them, BUT Taku Sakashta's optimized, split-able PAF style humbuckers are remarkable and sound incredibly good as single coils or as 'buckers.

EADGBE
02-09-2012, 08:31 PM
I don't think they do. I think a split humbucker is just too weak sounding by itself.

robertkoa
02-09-2012, 09:27 PM
Well -IF the Humbucker has an Alnico Rod magnet true single coil as one or two of it's coils- the Duncan Stag-Mag is one Humbucker that consists of two of these single coils together as a Humbucker- BUT doesn't sound exactly like most Humbuckers in dual mode as I recall, had one in Bridge of a BC Rich.

But of course NOW after this thread, hopefully someone will come out with something that has a Rod Magnet Alnico pickup on one side of the Humbucker and a nice slightly overwound PAF fat coil on the other side- so together it's like a fat PAF and true single coil when in "single " mode.

When I read that Kinman was working on Humbuckers- I asked if they might make a 3 coil Humbucker that when coil cut is still a Hum Cancelling Single Coil- that would be cool. A fat PAF that coil cuts to one (or more with different versions ) of his noiseless singles.

He said they are working on some things but didn't really tell me anything specific......

Oh yeah - I forgot to say I like to coil cut Humbuckers and though they sound different from " Strat " pickups they usually sound good IMO, I think there are LOTS of single coil sounds that are excellent, and unique that don't sound like a Strat........especially on different scale lengths and set necks, neck throughs etc.

fusionbear
02-09-2012, 09:51 PM
Well, I guess I 'll be the stick in the mud. I prefer the sound of my Suhr split humbuckers over a true single coil...

Rod
02-09-2012, 09:59 PM
The 2 best humbuckers that sound great split are the Zhangbucker Duane plus and the Railhammer hyper vintage. Both sound a lot like strat pickups when split. I use an on.on.on dpdt switch from Dimarzio that gives you humbucker series, humbucker parallel, and split coil. They work great for a Strat. 3 cool tones

johnfv
02-09-2012, 10:00 PM
Very much depends on the pickup but there are several humbuckers that I prefer wired in parallel for a nice fat single coil-ish tone (without the hum)...

mslugano
02-10-2012, 01:15 AM
Well, I guess I 'll be the stick in the mud. I prefer the sound of my Suhr split humbuckers over a true single coil...

Yea, my old Suhr T with two humbuckers sounded great though I think it would be hard to beat the tone of Unbuckers (see my post #16 with Lance Keltner's video). I'd like to hear the Fralin and Suhr back to back and I wonder if John uses something like Fralin's technique for getting such good tones.

Mig60
02-10-2012, 01:51 AM
I have a Dimarzio DLX Plus, and I use it split mode sometimes, not volume drop at all and it's very usefull for certain songs

=JL=
02-10-2012, 02:10 AM
Some sound pretty good split, (like the PRS DGT) until you plug in the real thing, then you realise that even a Squier Tele sounds better.
I just don't need a single guitar which sounds a bit like some other guitars, all in the same song. If you're playing pop medleys in a TV chat show orchestra (are you?) it's fine, but in my work I'm allowed to put one guitar down and pick another one up. :)

smallstoner
02-10-2012, 04:38 AM

I believe this is the main reason the split sound sounds so "weak" and "thin" to people--the fact that it cuts your output in half. The volume drop is huge and so it sounds like crap compared to the full HB sound. I think if you could properly compensate--maybe with a booster and/or compressor, it wouldn't sound half bad. I've been experimenting with this and I find the split sounds useful at adjusted volumes. You can get serviceable Tele tones from a split bridge and Strat sounds from a split neck if you can manage the volume drop. It definitely adds some high end sparkle, which I miss for clean tones with HBs. Not perfect, but not bad either, depending on what pickups you're using.

SNick
02-10-2012, 05:48 AM
I guess if it really sounded good every humbucker equipped guitar would have it. Not even the Marketing guys can sway a company to do it as a gimmick to sell more. That says it all. JMO

NoBrakes
02-10-2012, 06:30 AM
Generally I think higher output pickups work better just because one coil is closer in specs to a single coil. That's not real good if your a vintage output PAF type player, Your stuck with a hot humbucker sound.. I tend to like running a humbucker in parallel instead of splitting... still it's not quite the same. close enough for some things.

Chicago Slim
02-10-2012, 06:41 AM
Generally I think higher output pickups work better just because one coil is closer in specs to a single coil. That's not real good if your a vintage output PAF type player, Your stuck with a hot humbucker sound.. I tend to like running a humbucker in parallel instead of splitting... still it's not quite the same. close enough for some things.

I haven't liked the hot, 12k - 15k PRS humbuckers split. They still sound very thin. However, I've had good luck with the 5k Starla pickups. These are the first pickups that I'll actually use, in the split mode. The 5-way switch (parallel/series coils), does sound much better. But, I'm more of a Tele/Strat type, than a humbucker guy.

Pietro
02-10-2012, 07:28 AM
Anderson h2+ sounds very convincing split.

epluribus
02-10-2012, 07:38 AM
Going Out On A Limb Dept.: Tapped 'buckers don't sound like SC's? Kinda odd...that's what they are.

Trouble is, they don't sound like those SC's...Strat, Tele, P-90, whatever...because they're not. Nor will the guitar body suddenly morph and become a Tele or a Goldtop. A tapped humbucker will simply sound like the same guitar with whatever that single coil produces...which is likely to be a far different beast than switching to another guitar entirely.

The other issue has to do with output. Once you split, you just altered the gain structure of your entire rig, and rather drastically so. To get a valid comparison, stick a really transparent clean boost in front of the amp and set it so the output of the SC matches that of the HB. The usefulness of the tone changes dramatically in my book...cut the signal in a well-balanced rig, you get tone suck. Reset the gain structure, you get...different tone.

I think the better question is whether the change owing to the tapping is musically significant, to you or anyone else. Seems to me that, with most pups, the difference is interesting and fun to experiment with, but isn't especially dramatic or particularly useful. Just too small a change to the instrument as a whole to have much impact, IMHO natch. Except...

P-Rails. Haven't tried any of the fancier purpose-built splitters mentioned here, so I can't compare, but P-Rails are IMHO the only HB worth splitting from a usability/versatility standpoint. And no, they don't sound like a Strat or a Tele or a P-90, but the things they can do are very different one from the other, quite attractive in terms of sound and dynamic response, and audible to the listener. The eerie part is when you run 'em with the inner coils on, the way they're purported to sound like Strat 2 or 4. In my book, they don't. They just sound like a heck of a lot like a Strat.

Beyond that, however, I've not discovered much practical use for split coils, other than that they're immensely fun for us modders and tone-tweakers. Opinions to the contrary from successful splitters welcome as always. :beer

--Ray

BTW, the Cort Curbow comes stock with coil-split. You can twist the active EQ and get the same tones. Can't figure out what the split is good for other than turning the noise up. :)

Outlier
02-10-2012, 12:52 PM
I love the split coil sounds from my PRS CU 24 with 57/08's split. It doesn't sound the same as my strat but that isn't what I want from it. I'm seeing a pattern here where most of the people defending split coil are using PRS instruments. Maybe they are doing something right? There is a slight volume drop which is why the volume knob is your friend. If you just play with your volume cranked all the time and then split then you don't know what you are missing.

Bikedude
02-10-2012, 03:51 PM
I never thougt so until in the last 2 weeks I've been fortunate to come into 2 guitars that have HB's that sound very, very close to single coils when split. My DGT does it well, and my Hot Rodded RW Tele with the Fralin Un-Bucker sounds very close to a nice s/c when split. With the 5 way and Tonestyler Circuit it does sound nice.

AD_
02-10-2012, 04:25 PM
I really like the split coil sound from mine. It doesn't sound like a strat, but it isn't supposed to. It sounds like a quieter, less-muddy version of the same guitar.

stratplexi
02-10-2012, 05:07 PM
They don't sound like strat or a tele but they are useful sounds none the less. If you need single coil tones and don't want to swap out guitars, they work and nobody in the audience will really know the difference anyway. We are all tone geeks and analyze everything to death...its part of the fun. I personally love being able to split humbuckers. My Gibson Traditional Plus Les Paul came with coil taps and it does a convincing neck single coil tone. It does not chime like a Strat but it sounds fantastic. When going to single coil mode you drop some of the mids and add lower frequencies and higher frequencies. Everything is a little cleaner, more chime, more clarity, more lows, etc. I dig it...

Windup 43
02-10-2012, 06:10 PM
Split coil buckers CAN sound good...given the right application. However, they will not sound "just like" a Strat, Tele, Junior, or whatever so don't expect that.Exactly. I get some great sounds out of my Gibby SG Standard and Squier '51 w/ the coils split, very useful for cleans.

tjmicsak
02-10-2012, 08:21 PM
A HB split into a single coil is going to sound like a single coil.
But that single coil is in a specific place on a Strat or on a Tele, so unless you get close to those mounting angles and locations with any split HB single bobbin it is not going to sound exactly like either one of those guitars, any more than asking if those two guitars will sound the same with a single coil.

vortexxxx
02-10-2012, 08:50 PM
In my opinion most humbuckers don't sound like a good single coil when split but you can get some interesting sounds when splitting them.

FuzzGazer
02-10-2012, 08:51 PM
No, but split, tap, and parallel are equally valid tones. In fact I prefer a parallel'ed bucker to a single coil.

stilesg57
02-10-2012, 09:01 PM
I've got a set of Zhangbuckers on order that I intend to split. David has an option on his winds where he taps into a percentage of the opposing coil to bump up output to more conventional single coil levels. I've ordered mine with that option, I'll let y'all know how it sounds when I get them.

benxiwf
02-18-2012, 06:49 AM
To me, a split bucker is more like a lipstick single coil since it has a much lower output than the regular pickup. Great woody tone to be had on these settings. I have it on my Reverend Rocco and Fender Mustang Special. If you take some time to play and tweak your amp to these settings, some great sounds are to be had.

Seakayak
02-18-2012, 09:36 AM
The WCRs in my PRS have some good split tones, but after buying a G&L Legacy 2 weeks ago, those tones are not as appealing as they once were.

AllenL
02-18-2012, 10:24 AM
I believe this is the main reason the split sound sounds so "weak" and "thin" to people--the fact that it cuts your output in half. The volume drop is huge and so it sounds like crap compared to the full HB sound. I think if you could properly compensate--maybe with a booster and/or compressor, it wouldn't sound half bad. I've been experimenting with this and I find the split sounds useful at adjusted volumes. You can get serviceable Tele tones from a split bridge and Strat sounds from a split neck if you can manage the volume drop. It definitely adds some high end sparkle, which I miss for clean tones with HBs. Not perfect, but not bad either, depending on what pickups you're using.

The Sadowsky NYC guitars have a built in gain boost switch that can address this issue in split coil mode.

drew_fx
02-18-2012, 10:43 AM
I've got coil-tapped Bareknuckle Nailbomb's in my Les Paul. No massive volume drop here, just a difference in tone.

robertkoa
02-18-2012, 03:33 PM

True - but this is why I hope someone will make an asymmetrical Humbucker with a fatter Vintage type Alnico Rod Strat Pickup @ about 6.0 k and a slightly lower output but warm sounding coil so together it's kinda an overwound PAF sound- but when coil cut basically a Strat Pickup*

*Or even better a 3 coil pickup so it's still noiseless single coil in coil cut mode- this is what I asked Kinman about.....

Many pickups are not exactly the same output and resistance on both coils( especially stacks ) and you still get the hum cancelling and each coil can have a different resonant peak-Steve Blucher at DiMarzio has done a lot of this and he could build a 3 coil if he wanted to IMO that would be like an AREA 61 when coil cut but Humbucker side by side also , like I asked Kinman about.

Rod
02-18-2012, 04:23 PM
Well, actually, The Zhangbucker Duane + is about 9900 ohms... the slug coil is hotter than the screw coil.. by 1500 ohms... and split to a single coil it sounds unbelieveable

Zhangliqun
02-18-2012, 05:16 PM
Did the new batch get there yet?

Well, actually, The Zhangbucker Duane + is about 9900 ohms... the slug coil is hotter than the screw coil.. by 1500 ohms... and split to a single coil it sounds unbelieveable

tjmicsak
02-18-2012, 05:38 PM
If you go here
http://soundcloud.com/tjmicsak
you can hear a 57/62 Strat bridge comared to a split Duncan JB, the 57/62 neck compared to a twisted Tele in a Baja, and the 57/62s in the quack position 2 compared to a split JB&Kinman Hx combo (RWRP) and I believe a Tele Broadcaster on a Baja compared to the inner bobbin split of a Duncan JB.
They really arent too far off. The Steely Dan Jose was with old strings on the JB. It would have been ALOT closer with fresh strings.

robertkoa
02-18-2012, 06:28 PM

Thanks Rod- sounds like a good ( great ? ) one for an H-S-H build- I bet I'd love this one in the neck position.

Don't tell me it sounds great in single coil AND kinda Duane Allman-ish in Humbucker mode ?

@ tjimicsac above- I had a '59 a stack middle and a JB ( H-S-H ) in a BC Rich and they both coil cut quite well........

Rod
02-19-2012, 12:55 AM
Thanks Rod- sounds like a good ( great ? ) one for an H-S-H build- I bet I'd love this one in the neck position.

Don't tell me it sounds great in single coil AND kinda Duane Allman-ish in Humbucker mode ?

@ tjimicsac above- I had a '59 a stack middle and a JB ( H-S-H ) in a BC Rich and they both coil cut quite well........

Oh, yes it does... David's pickups [The Zhangbuckers] are unbelievable. They really are on a different tone field than what Dimarzio and Duncan do... He just sent me another 2 pairs of Duane+ and Duane necks that I used this weekend... One set went in my Warmoth L5S bolt on . Koa neck, Limba body...They just sound amazing... That guitar I put together 15 years ago and has been around the US many times with me in concerts, clubs ect... It's never sounded better.. or more balanced tone wise....

Rod
02-19-2012, 12:58 AM
Did the new batch get there yet?

Hi David.. I just sent you an email...... Many Many thanks... That Sluggo [wide slugbucker Duane + ] was just the ticket for my bright LP..[loved the guitar.. hated the high end].. sounds amazing... I really appreciate your work...

stratzrus
02-19-2012, 01:06 AM
I like the sound of the Fralin Unbucker tapped.

Check out this clip at 4:32...not a Strat sound but not wimpy like most.

ogcT8YICH70

I currently have a Fralin High Output tapped in the neck slot of my korina Explorer but I'd like to try the Unbucker.

mslugano
02-19-2012, 01:56 AM
I like the sound of the Fralin Unbucker tapped.

Check out this clip at 4:32...not a Strat sound but not wimpy like most.

ogcT8YICH70

I currently have a Fralin High Output tapped in the neck slot of my korina Explorer but I'd like to try the Unbucker.

That's a very good demo. This video and the one Lance Keltner did both show off the capabilities of the Unbucker nicely. If I ever get around to having a humbucker guitar built, I'll use the the Fralin Unbucker for sure.