PDA

View Full Version : Red Wing Boots??

lunchbox
02-12-2012, 01:00 PM
Anybody a fan of these shoes/boots? Specifically, I'm looking to get a pair of the Beckman Boots from the Heritage collection, but they are $320.00 new. It's a beautiful boot, but that is a lot of coin for some shoes.

El Caballo
02-12-2012, 01:02 PM
Over priced and over rated. I hike for a living and they've never lived up to the hype for me. I wear Timberlands and Rocky's.

Jiffy_Jeff
02-12-2012, 01:05 PM
I wear the chucka boots. Dont remember the model number.

They are awesome! Comfortable and affordable around $130. So durable and hold up so well I only have to buy a new pair every two years.

I have a pair like this below, and a pair of black for a more formal wear.

http://static2.slamxhype.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/3092837033_45b9663ebe.jpg

cbmccarthy
02-12-2012, 01:19 PM
Tried on a pair from the Heritage collection around the holiday season. Didn't buy then, but I do often think about the quality. IMO, the particular boot you selected from the Heritage line is worth every penny. You most likely won't have to replace them, just have them resoled in 5 to 7 years depending on your use. They'll age and look better with time.

I don't understand why people balk at the price if it's a common trend for standard department store boots to be replaced after 2 years or so. If you pay $80 for a pair (a conservative number, IMO), then you will spend $400 over 10 years. I would wager a pair of Red Wing Heritage will last at least 10 years with one resoling at the same price. And then you will probably be able to use them for another 10 years with one more resoling.

So instead of spending $800 over 20 years on 10 pairs of boots, you'll spend around $500 over 20 years for one pair of boots that are classic and will never go out of style, IMO.

maccampbells
02-12-2012, 01:43 PM
I have a pair of steel toed I got 20 years ago. I still wear them. You can see the steel on the right toe (countless things kicked and held up with it) and the upper is coming off. The soles are smooth as glass. Fit like slippers.

Wedge
02-12-2012, 01:46 PM
I dont kow about hiking but for service work and being on your feet all day, they are awesome. Extremely comfortable. They dont wear out like cbmccarty said, you just resole em and get a decade or two out of em if you want.

JPF
02-12-2012, 01:51 PM
I bought a pair of Eric Clapton Red Wings 10 years ago or so - they're still holding up beautifully.

cratz2
02-12-2012, 01:54 PM
I own a concrete company and am pretty rough on boots. They do certain things well... the soles seem to last just about forever. WAY longer than Rockports or Timberlands. The seams never have come apart on me in probably 8 pairs.

On the other hand, and it's probably a unique complaint, but the 'finish' on the leather doesn't last very long. While finishing concrete, I'm on my hands and knees a lot and the toe area seems to wear through almost instantly. I don't know much about leather finishes, but the Red Wings I wear seem to have a 'thin skin nitro' finish compared to others.

Overall, I'd say my experience is they are about 100% to 200% superior as good as Timberlands at about 25% higher cost.

Tele Wacker
02-12-2012, 02:03 PM
I'm on my 3rd or 4th pair of Wolverine Durashock lace up boots. Most comfortable things I have ever put on my feet.

aynirar27
02-12-2012, 02:05 PM
they are great work boots. poor choice for hiking boots. Personally, I favor Carolina boots for anything work related. Red wing boots are built very well though, and the stitching stays together great.

pak1351
02-12-2012, 02:21 PM
I don't really like the bulbous toe. I wear wolverine 6" plainsman steel toe boots for work and a pair of allen edmond cascade for casual winter wear

firefitz65
02-12-2012, 02:30 PM
Over priced and over rated. I hike for a living and they've never lived up to the hype for me. I wear Timberlands. what do you do, if you hike for a living ?

lunchbox
02-12-2012, 02:32 PM
Thanks, I'm just looking for them to wear to work and casually.

firefitz65
02-12-2012, 02:55 PM
Red wings are good boots and one of the companies that use high quality grain leather and other materials. My best advise to you is to try differnt brands to see what boot fits you the best. Just because they are high priced, doesn't mean they will fit your foot the best.

nitehawk55
02-12-2012, 02:58 PM
Was a thread on these not long ago.....

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1000496&highlight=red+wing+boots

Rkin1
02-12-2012, 02:58 PM
Check out Danner, better choice IMO.

pinhooker
02-12-2012, 03:11 PM
Need to know your desires for the boot, what do you want to do in it?

My boots are from nike, but i'm pretty damn sure we have different necessities for our footwear.

crazymike
02-12-2012, 03:14 PM
I dunno what your purpose for buying them is, but I'm a mechanic and I bought 1 pair of their shoes back in the late 90's and the stitching SUCKED. They lasted about 6 months and when I tried to return them I got a bunch of static about it.

The ones I bought were comparable to these:
http://www.redwingshoes.com/red-wing-shoe/3533-red-wing-shoes/3533-red-wing-mens-oxford-black

They said something about the grease and oil were deteriorating the stitches, so what they REALLY told me was that their "shop shoes" weren't really "shop shoes". They were comfortable and the stitching started fraying and breaking on the second par.. so they became "yardwork shoes".

I buy my work shoes from Costal Boot now:
http://www.coastalboot.com/cart.php?target=product&product_id=16226&category_id=317

I buy those exact shoes. They last about 3 years before the sole is worn out, they're just as comfortable as the red wings (I don't do boots.. I absolutely HATE footwear that encases my heels) and don't fall apart.

Redwings are good shoes, they're just not my choice for my situation.

T-bone
02-12-2012, 03:19 PM
Love em. For work on concrete floor I haven't found anything better. Still on my first pair that I bought 8 years ago.

Polynitro
02-12-2012, 04:35 PM
Thanks, I'm just looking for them to wear to work and casually.

I love my Redwing Gentleman Traveller but would not wear them hiking. They are more a fashion/style boot than true workboot. (think urban lumberjack)

I actually agree they are a bit overpriced, and the quality is good but not say trickers great but decent.

Bottom line they look much better than docs of similar style. They are made in USA, where most RW are made in China now and suck for quality and are aesthetically challenged.

cugel
02-12-2012, 07:57 PM
i bought some iron rangers and they are truly among the most comfortable shoes i have ever owned. nothing fancy about them just well designed and well made. usa made of course. the only thing is they are not for slippery slopes but on the other hand they dont track in mud. i would buy again in a heartbeat

otaypanky
02-12-2012, 09:34 PM
I own a concrete company and am pretty rough on boots. They do certain things well... the soles seem to last just about forever. WAY longer than Rockports or Timberlands. The seams never have come apart on me in probably 8 pairs.

On the other hand, and it's probably a unique complaint, but the 'finish' on the leather doesn't last very long. While finishing concrete, I'm on my hands and knees a lot and the toe area seems to wear through almost instantly. I don't know much about leather finishes, but the Red Wings I wear seem to have a 'thin skin nitro' finish compared to others.

Overall, I'd say my experience is they are about 100% to 200% superior as good as Timberlands at about 25% higher cost.

Working with concrete will certainly suck the life out of leather fast. The grit that works it's way in to the leather is highly abrasive and will cause it to wear even faster. Cleaning the leather will help quite a bit as will adding conditioner to replace the oils that the concrete pulls out.

DGTCrazy
02-12-2012, 09:39 PM
Redwing Boots were the ONLY boots I wore for my entire Fire Service Career (25 years)! I still have the pair I left with. My store in Northern CA had Fantastic Customer Service too.

TNJ
02-12-2012, 10:21 PM
I have a pair that have turned out to be my favorite winter boots!
Comfortable, warm (but not too warm), waterproofed, and get great traction on snow and ice.
Look great too!

S.
j

Dr. Tweedbucket
02-13-2012, 07:30 AM
I liked my Timberlines but the sole rubber blocks were hollow and they wore through in a short amount of time letting water inside :mad: There is no reason they should have been that cheap with the rubber. I guess they were trying to save weight.

I have some USA Redwings that are amazing boots. They are solid as a rock, leather is much higher quality but they just don't look as good as the Timberlines did, that's all.

In Absentia
02-13-2012, 07:49 AM
Check the Wolverine 1000 Mile boots. Similar boot, and great build quality.

mbargav
02-13-2012, 07:51 AM
Check out Danner, better choice IMO.

+1

I have a pair of Danner Mountain Lights. Terrific boots.

jackbart1960
02-13-2012, 07:51 AM
The US made ones are awesome and at that price point, as someone previous mentioned, you might look at Danners as well. These are great work boots but for technical hiking you never find anything but Asolo's on my feet.
Peace. J.J.B.

El Caballo
02-13-2012, 08:06 AM
what do you do, if you hike for a living ?

I'm a Land Surveyor and my primary clients are energy production companies. I survey pipeline routes, roads, and new well locations out in some of the roughest country in the US. Over the average 15 miles a week I hike I deal with mud, snow, sand, ice and rock on any given day. Both pair of Red Wings I tried were done in six months. Both from a blown out seam. Timberlands and Rocky's boots have been more durable in my experience. I thought maybe I had gotten a bum set so I bought another pair only to have the same experience. Red Wings may have been great for most people and that's fine, but it's unlikely I'll buy another pair.....YMMV

direwolf
02-13-2012, 09:34 AM
You gotta pay to get the good ones.
http://www.redwingsafety.com/intl/safety-boot/4425-safe-intl/4425-red-wing-mens-6-inch-boot-brown

I climb telephone poles for a living.

rockinlespaul
02-13-2012, 09:41 AM
Recently retired automotive mechanic.

Red Wings are the industry standard.

Best boot you can buy imho.

TimSt.L
02-13-2012, 09:44 AM
Im wearing redwings right now. I work construction. They are the best boots I've ever owned. And I got them from a redwing store, where they will condition your boots And give you laces for free for the life of the boot. you can also get them resoled. If you want to go cheaper, I had a pair of "Mack" brand boots. And although they don't hold up as long as others, they were by far the most comfortable pair I have ever owned. And they don't cost an arm And a leg.

BlackNight
02-13-2012, 10:25 AM
I've never liked Red Wing boots but they are nice and last a long time provided you take care of them. They started becoming popular with the whole hipster-americana/denim head/white collar lumberjack style about 5 years ago.

If you walk on a lot of pavement or sidewalk type surfaces it will wear away the soles way too fast. That is if you have that thick cream colored sole style.

FWIW I prefer Frye boots for casual wear. They have some alternatives you might like.

cratz2
02-13-2012, 10:30 AM
You gotta pay to get the good ones.
http://www.redwingsafety.com/intl/safety-boot/4425-safe-intl/4425-red-wing-mens-6-inch-boot-brown

I climb telephone poles for a living.

Those were the boots I wore for one season but found they were a little too warm so I went back to the 420 which is similar to what I initially bought from Red Wing.

I wonder if they use different 'thread' for different boots. I'm what I'd call pretty high impact on my boots and I've literally never had a single seam come apart. 9 or 10 pairs in 8 seasons, wearing them about 5 days a week for 9 months plus lesser use during the winter.

And I had a pair of hiking boots that I wore about 6 years while doing hiking-like activities and got maybe 50 uses a year out of them and they STILL have solid seams though I damaged one when I got my foot caught a few years ago. And the sole of that boot still looks brand new.

I went to a Rocky as those particular Red Wings never felt quite as solid as I'd like though I'm sure folks that are more used to tennis shoes or casual shoes would think they were fine. Just wearing boots all day during the work week, they felt a bit light duty.

El Caballo
02-13-2012, 11:10 AM
These have been the most solid boots I've personally tried. Typically with the amount of wear and tear I put my boots through this particular set has been among the better. They lasted me two years of daily wear and I only ditched them because the soles were worn out.

http://www.rockyboots.com/Product-Details/4511/1600FQ0006114/Rocky-Mobilite-Steel-Toe-Waterproof-Work-Boots/

They were out of stock at my local boot/work wear shop and I needed boots in a hurry (my second pair of Red Wings failed and my foot was sticking out of the side) so I ended up going with a pair Timberlands that were a decent price ($125) and so far no issues.

pinhooker
02-13-2012, 11:13 AM
These have been the most solid boots I've personally tried. Typically with the amount of wear and tear I put my boots through this particular set has been among the better. They lasted me two years of daily wear and I only ditched them because the soles were worn out.
http://www.rockyboots.com/Product-Details/4511/1600FQ0006114/Rocky-Mobilite-Steel-Toe-Waterproof-Work-Boots/
Rocky does make a very good boot. I have some coworkers that wear the S2Vs and love them.

Zuma
02-14-2012, 03:24 PM
For work, which can involve a lot of hiking, I like Vasque sundowners. I have a pair of Red Wing Gentlemen Travelers which are a nice boot for styling around the office. But for the some of the best in style and comfort I like Alden Indy boots.

mbargav
02-14-2012, 03:31 PM
But for the some of the best in style and comfort I like Alden Indy boots.

Indy boots are awesome; I've had mine for a few years now.

StevenS
02-14-2012, 04:43 PM
I just bought a pair of these a few weeks ago.

http://www.redwingshoes.com/red-wing-shoe/2412-red-wing-shoes/2412-red-wing-mens-8-inch-boot-brown

Excellent so far.

Very comfortable, warm (not too warm), and fairly light.

York
02-15-2012, 12:52 AM
I've worked in the construction/surveying business for years. I have always loved my Redwing boots. After a couple of years they are almost a like a natural part of the body. The Redwings I've had have always lasted a long time.

Kyle vs. Guitar
02-15-2012, 03:40 AM
I love 'em! I have the 8130 (black) and 8131 (red) moc toe boots, and 8112 Iron Rangers. Best shoes I've ever owned, I love mine.

I can't comment on work suitability since I wear mine casually, but I think they'll last a really long time with maintenance and the occasional re-sole. Quality is tops. Get some good jeans while you're at it.

shredtheater
02-15-2012, 04:00 AM
Neil Young used wear Red Wings back in the day :) I forget the album now. They looked great, id like a pair but they are expensive in the UK. They'd go great with some jeans and a check shirt. There very fashionable nowadays but equally, I think they will last you a long time. They are worker boots after all.

earthlydescent
02-15-2012, 11:36 AM
My Dad and I are 24/7 boot wearers. He went Red Wing twice and regretted it both times. His Timberland Pros normally lasted twice as long. Mine most recent pair of Timberland Pros lasted me ten years and still have life left (they ain't pretty though). And I'm really not nice to my boots. I'm a warehouser and I deal with a lot raw materials. And I did tree removal for a while too.

Both are really pretty comfortable boots though.