PDA

View Full Version : Volume pedal in effects loop?

Figaro
02-21-2012, 06:45 PM
Anyone use a volume pedal, like an Ernie Ball, in an amp's effects loop? I've heard it works like a master volume control?

SteveO
02-21-2012, 06:47 PM
It does, but standard 500K pedals don't play well with line-level signals. You would need the 25K model.

GCDEF
02-22-2012, 07:23 AM
I do, it does. Low impedance as SteveO says.

Pietro
02-22-2012, 07:26 AM
I am using it in the loop with my HD 500 right now. But I have that loop set to stomp and use the regular 500K model. Good results!

veldt666
02-22-2012, 07:31 AM
Me too, I started doing this 15 years ago, first with EB, & now with Boss FV500. Great control.

MartinCliffe
02-22-2012, 08:05 AM
Yeah, Morley Little Alligator. Works great. Being active, it's not impedance specific.

blackba
02-22-2012, 08:09 AM
I have tried with my Visual Sounds 10th anni Volume pedal on active mode with an Orange RV50 and didn't like it. Haven't tried it with my other amps with loops.

the short answer is it depends on the amp and the volume pedal. Active should be more likely to work in the loop.

boost
02-22-2012, 08:22 AM
I have tried with my Visual Sounds 10th anni Volume pedal on active mode with an Orange RV50 and didn't like it. Haven't tried it with my other amps with loops.

the short answer is it depends on the amp and the volume pedal. Active should be more likely to work in the loop.

+1. I've tried it on 3 different amps and I didn't like it. I have not tried it in the passive mode though. Shame really, because I do like all the features this pedal has. I looked inside to see if a pot swap would be possible to try a 25K. Not gonna happen.

tech21nyc
02-23-2012, 12:23 PM
It acts as a master volume and works OK with an amp but if your amp needs output stage distortion to sound good it will mess with that. If your amp is a channel switcher or you're using pedals and getting your sound from the preamp section this is the situation it will work best in.

As others have stated not all effects loops play nice with a volume pedal that is looking for an instrument level signal.

The other downside is that I've never found a volume pedal that has the right taper for a low impedance source. I have both a 250k and 25k EB volume and when running any low Z source to the 25K volume pedal the sweep is always abrupt. It makes it hard ti fine tune the volume.

Lance
02-23-2012, 01:15 PM
I use an EB in the loop of my Mark III, and it seems to work really well. I use a delay/verb pedal called a Muza FD900, because it has 4) presets. I run the EBV in to the Muza, and have both of those in a Fuch's tube f/x loop buffer. I seem to suffer very little tone loss, and it sounds great! Now I'm getting the squeaky EBV pedal. I would imagine some WD-40 will cure that.

windwalke9649
02-24-2012, 01:35 PM
Ive done both; i used to play a solo that had a lot of volume swells, so i put it in the loop, if i was using it because maybe a certain guitar sounds best w/the volume dimed, put it infront so you can control the preamp od. I use a lot of loopers/switching, so i can pull certain effects out of my chain, my old volume pedal was a tone sponge, so i took it out of the signal when i didnt use it.

windwalke9649
02-24-2012, 01:36 PM
BTW; you can always swap out pots if you're finding that you dont like the taper, or hook up different valued resistors to the pots lugs that will change the sweep; similiar to doing a volume kit mod on a guitar, but without the capacitor.

Gary Brennan
02-24-2012, 05:50 PM
Using a Visual Sound in the loop of a Glaswerks SOD 50, and a Fuchs Bassman mod, works fine for me. Also great because am doing post output stage wet only fx send.

gb

walterw
02-24-2012, 08:56 PM
The other downside is that I've never found a volume pedal that has the right taper for a low impedance source. I have both a 250k and 25k EB volume and when running any low Z source to the 25K volume pedal the sweep is always abrupt. It makes it hard ti fine tune the volume.
try this with your 25k EB pedal: slap a resistor across the two hot lugs of the pot to flatten the taper, so it doesn't do the thing of dropping off real fast from full-up. (i run mine after a bunch of buffered pedals into a clean amp.)

you can actually mount it to the board, as there will be two little solder holes in it that connect right to the two hot lugs of the pot.

IIRC, i put a 10k on mine, and that works nicely to smooth it out. a 6k makes it even more linear, but the trade-off i noticed was that swells up from "off" were a little too abrupt for my taste.

tech21nyc
02-28-2012, 09:58 AM
Thanks Walter, maybe I'll give that a try. Just to clarify a bit. I've used both high and low Z EB volume pedals in the parallel efx loop of my amp to mix in delays or reverbs and they work great. The issue of the taper really comes into play when the pedal is used for the master volume vs efx mixing.. I've had the same problem with using my acoustic guitar through the EB 25K. Very abrupt changes in volume.

I've also heard good things about this mod for the EB and I believe he's a forum member. http://www.thru-tone.com