PDA

View Full Version : Boutique SS amps?

El Jefe
02-23-2012, 02:34 AM
None of us have prejudices against transistor pedals, so why not SS amps? All the SS guitar amps out there are either low end, made to be totally clean, or are old school and didn't have much thought put into how the power stage would sound when it clips. So.....suppose someone took the same meticulous approach that pedal builders use for tuning overdrives and fuzzes and applied it to making an all-transistor amp designed to sound good when the power section overdrives. Build it with high quality parts, maybe even throw in a nice verb and trem circuit.

It has to be possible, there's nothing magical about vacuum tubes. What's the output transistor equivalent of a JFET? A really huge JFET?

stratzrus
02-23-2012, 02:49 AM
http://www.pritchardamps.com/pritchardamps.cfm

bassinface
02-23-2012, 06:39 AM
Yeah, why do bass players get to have all the ss fun?
I have a randall/aims ss amp that is ruling my world.
Lets bring on the 70's. srsly.

tonegangster
02-23-2012, 06:43 AM
SS amps don't have crystal lettuce. :rotflmao

gregsguitars
02-23-2012, 07:04 AM
They are NOT boutique by any means but the Fender red knob Princeton Chorus is a killer SS amp....

voodoo364
02-23-2012, 07:09 AM
Roland Blues Cube BC-30 is the one the best amps I've ever had. Two channels Fenderish/Marshallish...for the money...incredible. Just because an amp has tubes does not mean it's always good...

charley
02-23-2012, 07:24 AM
Check out Acoustic Image, Henriksen, Evans, and Quilter to start. +1 for Pritchard too.

teemuk
02-23-2012, 07:25 AM
All the SS guitar amps out there are either low end, made to be totally clean, or are old school and didn't have much thought put into how the power stage would sound when it clips.

Not all. There are several boutique solid-state products ...and on that note, several threads about them. In just recent months two new boutique amps have appeared from Quilter and AMT. Didn't Retro Channel appear last year and before that there's been Pritchard, Blue Note, Henriksen, etc...

Perhaps take a bit time to research the topic, better yet, actually buy some of those products to keep the industry rolling. If there's no market there's little point to manufacture $$$ items.

As a final note, the quoted sentence doesn't even apply to many "non-boutique" products made out of typical household brands; Vox, Peavey, Roland, etc. Several companies put a lot of effort into designing nicely clipping power stages (T-Dynamics, Valve Reactors, Roland's Tube Logic Stuff, etc.), and you don't need to be "boutique" for that.

Frank Speak
02-23-2012, 08:11 AM
The only "boutique" SS I'm familiar with is the Retro Wreck.

DRS
02-23-2012, 08:59 AM
+1 Pritchard. There's a Pritchard thread going close by.

Humancapo
02-23-2012, 09:06 AM
AER, but's it's a clean platform designed mainly for acoustics. There are many excellent sounding non-boutique SS amps, it just comes down to the player to make them sound great.

cribcage
02-23-2012, 09:28 AM
Check out Acoustic Image, Henriksen, Evans, and Quilter to start. +1 for Pritchard too.

+1 for that list. Henriksen's website has a great explanation (http://www.jazzamp.com/amp.asp) why they build their amps that way.

NAV1147
02-23-2012, 09:45 AM
i think in the next 1 to 2 years, you might see a couple of real high end SS amps coming out. Now that Matrix amplification has created such an amazing, warm tube like power section thats small and light weight. I ran a friedman brown eye preamp section into a Matrix GT800 and it sounded very close to the real power section of the Friedman.

El Jefe
02-23-2012, 01:09 PM
http://www.pritchardamps.com/pritchardamps.cfm

I've seen that, it's not really what I'm talking about. I mean more like a single channel, NMV amp. Not a modeling/multi-channel/tons of knobs thing. Picture more like a plexi, but SS. There's got to be a way to make a 100w SS power section that overdrives like tubes.

Henricksen/Polytone = made for clean/mostly clean jazz tones. Not what I'm talking about.

Acoustic Image = Their website says "transparent, high fidelity" = Definitely not what I'm talking about. I mean an electric guitar amp that overdrives and can rock and doesn't look like a studio monitor.

I'm picturing something that looks like and feels like a vintage tube amp. Simple circuit, few components. Open it up and you'll see full size parts, no PCB, clean solid core wiring, etc. Everything you'd see in a tube amp but with transistors instead of tubes. That rules out the Peavey/Roland/etc stuff too. I've been down that road years ago and they weren't nearly up to snuff. Ok for clean sounds, but the distortion always sounded like a bad overdrive pedal being fed through a DI into a PA.

Brian Johnston
02-23-2012, 01:14 PM
Pritchard amps are not 'modeling' amps. They are analog amps with 'voicing' capabilities, so that you can achieve tones similar to Fender, Marshall, etc.... they are not 'digital,' which uses the term 'modeling.'

ripoffriffs
02-23-2012, 01:14 PM
Retro-Channel RR1. Available for $995, less if used.

I've seen that, it's not really what I'm talking about. I mean more like a single channel, NMV amp. Not a modeling/multi-channel/tons of knobs thing. Picture more like a plexi, but SS. There's got to be a way to make a 100w SS power section that overdrives like tubes.

El Jefe
02-23-2012, 01:28 PM
Fair enough, I was being sloppy with my terms. You get what I mean though about simplicity? Plus, and this is just my opinion, the Pritchard amps are just nowhere close in terms of aesthetics.

Oh and:

Perhaps take a bit time to research the topic, better yet, actually buy some of those products to keep the industry rolling. If there's no market there's little point to manufacture $$$ items.

So I'm supposed to buy SS amps that don't appeal to me so that someone will then build one that does? :huh

El Jefe
02-23-2012, 01:31 PM
Retro-Channel RR1. Available for $995, less if used.

Now we're getting closer! Still not quite though.

"Master: The RR1 Master is like a fader on a recording console. You will notice that the feel of the amp does NOT CHANGE regardless of the level of the Master Volume control. This is one of the most wonderful things about the RR1. You can obtain realistic tube amp feel and tone at ANY VOLUME level."

That's what I don't want. I want either no master, or one that acts like it's controlling an amp with limited headroom - ie, non-linear and very capable of clipping the power section. Not a big fan of their talk about no user-serviceable parts and "modules" and whatnot either.

DRS
02-23-2012, 01:45 PM
El Jefe
The Retro'Channel is closer to what you want, I guess. But you can order the Pritchard configured the way you want.

jay42
02-23-2012, 01:52 PM
Isn't Pritchard the guy who launched Deja Vu amps in the late 80's? I always wondered how that went and if it's the same guy, why the name change.

02-23-2012, 08:42 PM
solid state:
http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/5750/k704.jpg

teemuk
02-23-2012, 09:03 PM
dN2To3CSuGE

HO8DWdv0ByU

FH4Czw-KV_0

rah3
02-23-2012, 09:05 PM
Pearce made great amps.

-RAH3

Ben Furman
02-23-2012, 09:26 PM
I want either no master, or one that acts like it's controlling an amp with limited headroom - ie, non-linear and very capable of clipping the power section. Not a big fan of their talk about no user-serviceable parts and "modules" and whatnot either.

That's what the gain control is for. The point is you can set the level of saturation and then get that at any volume for any venue. It's set up like a NMV amp on the front side, so you get "power section" distortion along with the build in preamp gain. Should we assume you don't like the power scaling concept for tube amps either?

Pritchard uses different terms, but it's the same deal. Volume + Watts.

As far as modules go, why would you want to service it anyway? They'll send you a free replacement. :huh

Isn't Pritchard the guy who launched Deja Vu amps in the late 80's? I always wondered how that went and if it's the same guy, why the name change.

Yes. Check his website or Google for the story.

HO8DWdv0ByU

:dude

I never get tired of that one!

El Jefe
02-25-2012, 03:04 AM
That's what the gain control is for. The point is you can set the level of saturation and then get that at any volume for any venue. It's set up like a NMV amp on the front side, so you get "power section" distortion along with the build in preamp gain. Should we assume you don't like the power scaling concept for tube amps either?

Actually, yes. I don't want options. I want the amp to make me do things, like turn up too loud and get crazy. I want it to be a partner in crime, a thing that I can't resist even though I know it's irresponsible and dangerous.

Am I alone in this?

And good god I want to play things other than classic rock bluesy riffs. All these demos sound the same.

Blix
02-25-2012, 03:54 AM
Now we're getting closer! Still not quite though.

"Master: The RR1 Master is like a fader on a recording console. You will notice that the feel of the amp does NOT CHANGE regardless of the level of the Master Volume control. This is one of the most wonderful things about the RR1. You can obtain realistic tube amp feel and tone at ANY VOLUME level."

That's what I don't want. I want either no master, or one that acts like it's controlling an amp with limited headroom - ie, non-linear and very capable of clipping the power section. Not a big fan of their talk about no user-serviceable parts and "modules" and whatnot either.

You don't want an SS amp that clips the power section, solid-state distortion is the most unmusical sound you can think of.
The RR is pretty much what you describe : "one that acts like it's controlling an amp with limited headroom"
It's "simulation" a Trainwreck type of amp, and they are well known for truly musical distortion, not your typical preamp-distortion.

teemuk
02-25-2012, 04:57 AM
You don't want an SS amp that clips the power section, solid-state distortion is the most unmusical sound you can think of.

That's a very generalising, blanket statement.

As I wrote earlier, there are plenty of solid-state amps, which have been designed to overdrive the power amp section nicely.

Pignose 7-100 is basically pretty much about power amp overdrive and it's heard on plenty of classic guitar albums. Pritchard amplifier include extensive design effort on overdriving power amp nicely. Peavey T-Dynamics design is third example of extracting very convincing "tube PP amp like" clipping from solid-state power section. From 1982 we can pick up the Dynacord GS824, which's gain knob was solely about overdriving the power amp and power amp alone, not to mention several old G&K amps, Sunn Alphas, then in 1990's followed by Roland GC-408, H&K Quantums, Trace Elliot Road series and so on an so on. The list is damn long when you really start to look into it instead of buying the BS generalisation that solid-state power amp overdrive always sounds poor.

ekp
02-25-2012, 07:58 AM
i think in the next 1 to 2 years, you might see a couple of real high end SS amps coming out. Now that Matrix amplification has created such an amazing, warm tube like power section thats small and light weight. I ran a friedman brown eye preamp section into a Matrix GT800 and it sounded very close to the real power section of the Friedman.

Actually, I have been building and selling great solid state amps for years. They have retired many boutique tube amps.

Have a great day, Eric

ekp
02-25-2012, 08:12 AM

Back in those days, I was chatting a lot with Paul Bechtoldt, a writer for Vintage Guitar. He suggested that I change the name. And I thought that it was appropriate because the amps changed from the original goal of replicating the classic amps to having their own interpretations of classic amps plus other tones. This came about in the course of doing the research of what were the tube sounds and how to produce them. So, when I conjectured another effect, I would exaggerate that effect so that it would be heard and then backed it off until it sounded good. This process to years and involved a lot of tweaking. Ultimately they had their own sound and became Pritchard Amps.

And by the way, I can be reached at 304-258-9113. I am quite happy to chat with players about potential Pritchard amp purchases.

Have a great day, Eric Pritchard

Lex Luthier
02-25-2012, 07:50 PM
Pearce made great amps.

-RAH3

Yep, and they were a small company too. (pre-Boutique?) Love my Pearce amps as much as my tube amps.

uitar99
02-25-2012, 08:01 PM
A buddy of mine gigs with an old H and K SS single 12 combo he picked up used in a pawn shop 10 yearts ago. Thing looks like shit and sounds as good as any tubbe amp it goes up against. Go figure

rgee27
02-25-2012, 08:09 PM
I bought a Randall RG80-112-SC from Gene Baker ...SS amp that is an awesome inexpensive combo for jams etc...very tube like in tone and response. Plus the snake skin tolex rocks! Think they were from the late 80's? Definitely a pawn shop prize if you can find one.

Jerrod
02-26-2012, 09:00 AM
Actually, yes. I don't want options. I want the amp to make me do things, like turn up too loud and get crazy. I want it to be a partner in crime, a thing that I can't resist even though I know it's irresponsible and dangerous.

Am I alone in this?

And good god I want to play things other than classic rock bluesy riffs. All these demos sound the same.

Are you alone in wanting a solid state amp with all of the disadvantages of a tube amp? Probably.

THebert
02-26-2012, 09:54 AM
For what its worth, my good buddy has lots of killer amps including two-rock, kendrick, etc. And he told me he heard a pritchard at a show once and thought it was fantastic. And this was from a boutique perspective.

ekp
02-27-2012, 04:50 AM
For what its worth, my good buddy has lots of killer amps including two-rock, kendrick, etc. And he told me he heard a pritchard at a show once and thought it was fantastic. And this was from a boutique perspective.

Thanks for the kudos.... His opinion is no fluke. A lot of guys have retired their tube amps for a Pritchard.

Have a great day, Eric 304-258-9113

jmcorey
02-27-2012, 04:59 AM
Roland Blues Cube BC-30 is the one the best amps I've ever had. Two channels Fenderish/Marshallish...for the money...incredible. Just because an amp has tubes does not mean it's always good...

I had that one, and it wasn't all it was hyped up to be. Found the dynamics completely flat. Also ridiculously heavy.

On the other hand, the Tech21 Trademark 10 and the trademark 60 were a lot more dynamic and usable.

I had also a Fender Princeton 112+, widely regarded as a piece of junk, that had sparly cleans. Its dynamics are OK. If I ever get it back from my brother, I night try a speaker swap in it. Very light and take pedals OK, with the right speaker it sould be a pawnshop prize.

levous
02-27-2012, 07:20 AM
....suppose someone took the same meticulous approach that pedal builders use for tuning overdrives and fuzzes and applied it to making an all-transistor amp designed to sound good

Tech21 Trademark 30/60. HAvent played one but just received my "British" character pedal and genuinely impressed! Tech21 had been building analog tube modeling for decades and are incredible quality.

It has to be possible, there's nothing magical about vacuum tubes. What's the output transistor equivalent of a JFET? A really huge JFET?
There IS something magical about tubes. They introduce tremendous amounts of signal distortion but clip in a very organic way. It's like pushing fluid through a high pressure, flexible hose vs. hitting it with a hammer. It's the same argument for vinyl vs digital. Ever clipped on your digital daw? Sounds terrible. Same thing on tape? Totally different. Are we innovating such that using tape in the studio is undesirable? Yes. Some purist will continue to use old technology to great effect but the vast majority will be adapting.

Until recently, I considered my amp a sound volume increaser. I now see it for what it has the potential to be: a musical extension to my instrument. The operative word being "musical". When I strike a note a certain way with te right amp, something magical happens.

I don't believe emulating tubes with solid state is the future. Digital modeling of tube amps is exploding in a good way. 11rack and kemper plus guitar rig and amplitube and ampkit are making "inspiring tone" accessible.

No one will ever replace a tone wood guitar with plastic. Tube amps will never be "obsolete". However, affordable alternatives are coming. Real ones. Presently, you have to chose whether you prefer the smell of a hot tube or the versatility of a modeler. The price is not compelling, yet. Tube amps can't get less expensive so its up to the digital market to compete and compete they will.

Our kids will likely carry their entire rig in their phone and never exprience lugging a twin reverb up 3 flights of stairs. Pity

Brian Johnston
02-27-2012, 01:57 PM
Having used various tube amps, I am a firm believer in Pritchard (SS) amps. They are not digital modeling amps... just a darn good amp with darn good sounds. Two different animals and that should not be confused, to say the least.

ekp
02-28-2012, 05:28 AM
Tech21 Trademark 30/60. HAvent played one but just received my "British" character pedal and genuinely impressed! Tech21 had been building analog tube modeling for decades and are incredible quality.

There IS something magical about tubes. They introduce tremendous amounts of signal distortion but clip in a very organic way. It's like pushing fluid through a high pressure, flexible hose vs. hitting it with a hammer. It's the same argument for vinyl vs digital. Ever clipped on your digital daw? Sounds terrible. Same thing on tape? Totally different. Are we innovating such that using tape in the studio is undesirable? Yes. Some purist will continue to use old technology to great effect but the vast majority will be adapting.

Until recently, I considered my amp a sound volume increaser. I now see it for what it has the potential to be: a musical extension to my instrument. The operative word being "musical". When I strike a note a certain way with te right amp, something magical happens.

I don't believe emulating tubes with solid state is the future. Digital modeling of tube amps is exploding in a good way. 11rack and kemper plus guitar rig and amplitude and amp kit are making "inspiring tone" accessible.

No one will ever replace a tone wood guitar with plastic. Tube amps will never be "obsolete". However, affordable alternatives are coming. Real ones. Presently, you have to chose whether you prefer the smell of a hot tube or the versatility of a modeler. The price is not compelling, yet. Tube amps can't get less expensive so its up to the digital market to compete and compete they will.

Our kids will likely carry their entire rig in their phone and never experience lugging a twin reverb up 3 flights of stairs. Pity

There is something magic about tubes - and the circuits that they work with. Further, that magic is not and has not been studied by the engineers of yore. Their desire was and still is to produce an amplifier that replicates its input without any embellishments. Musicians, and particularly guitar players pick their amplifiers based upon the embellishments, warm, fat, full-bodied, resilient, red wine not white, like flesh not glass, etc.

The tests that engineers use to test amps fit the notion of "without any embellishments." When I was developing Pritchard amps, my belief was simple. If it can be heard, it can be measured. For example, the triode characteristic produces a second harmonic that is 30 db below the fundamental and a third harmonic that is 50 deb below the fundamental for some input level (according to the Radiotron Designers Handbook, 1957). That can be measured with equipment that was available decades ago.

The output stage is where the bulk of the action is. It produces expansive harmonics which counter the deadening harmonics of clipping - at least for a while. The output stage interacts with the power supply to produce sag, which, in turn, produces compression.

But then there is one huge difference between solid state amps and tube amps - the beer test. It happened years ago at a gig. A guy knocked over his beer on one of my amps. The beer followed gravity down into the amp. But, because of the design of the chassis, missed all of the electronics. In a Marshall, beer down the vent slots would have produced instant death to those hot tubes as the glass tried to contract where the beer touched it, built up excessive stress and cracked. That would let in air, which would then burn up the heater and keep those electrons from traveling from cathode to plate. Bye, bye tone.

So there is magic in tubes, but with a lot of effort, it can be replicated, even exaggerated into an amp that has more of the tube character than tubes AND be lighter AND far more reliable.

Have a great day, Eric

bbenhull
02-28-2012, 01:10 PM
Interesting conversation, let's keep it going...

MIM#1
03-01-2012, 01:03 PM

I've got one coming in the mail right now! :banana
Probably gonna drop my weber California into it.

strattitude
03-01-2012, 01:45 PM
It sounds very cool! Lightweight, reliable and great tone, most important things to me. I don't really care whether its SS or tube or what name it has, it just has to inspire me to play.

If there was any way to try one out here in Denmark I most definately would. Since it's a lot of money, I wouldn't get it without trying first.

QuilterLabs
03-02-2012, 07:40 PM
When I was developing Pritchard amps, my belief was simple. If it can be heard, it can be measured. For example, the triode characteristic produces a second harmonic that is 30 db below the fundamental and a third harmonic that is 50 deb below the fundamental for some input level (according to the Radiotron Designers Handbook, 1957). That can be measured with equipment that was available decades ago.

I have to concur with Eric on this one. Pat Quilter (our founder) often says that an electron has no idea whether it is in a tube or a transistor. Tubes behave the way they do for a reason, and that reason can be studied experimented with and ultimately re-created with incredible results. For us the proof is in artist after artist who swears up and down that we are lying and somehow managed to slip a tube inside our tiny little case. Or when they tell me they don't even touch their other amps anymore and they are selling them off on ebay or craigslist. The reality is that a good design can do it. The problem most people have is actually an illustration of how early opinions can carry forward for generations even though technology changes.
Early on when solid state amps were created, they built simple linear solid state amplifiers or tried to substitute tube components for solid state components. Some did better than others using different transistor types but the results ultimately left us cold, and lifeless. Word of course got out. "Solid state sucks... Tubes are awesome..." (I am being tongue in cheek here...)
This of course became the accepted "norm". Although technology and components have marched on providing us with a far greater pallet of components and design technologies, the world is still kind of stuck with that perpetuated myth. If this happened in the world of recorded music, we would all still be rolling in the streets with our Sony walkmans. Although they were great, technology finally moved along. The advantages were so tremendous that ultimately the idea that tape was better than digital was simply absurd.
Same thing has happened here, although some are more stubborn than others. Here is a funny story for you though that shows the reality.

I was manning our booth (we sponsored Deke's guitar show.) at Deke Dickerson's Guitar Geek festival and while I was there someone came up and was interested in the Quilter MicroPro 200. As the fellow started asking questions his friend came up and started saying, "It's a cheap crappy amp man. Just ignore this dude. (Me) Come on, let's go." (You know what I am saying, just ratchet the language up to inappropriate levels and add some vitriole to the dialog to understand what was really happening.) Later that night, Freddie Roulette (Famed slide player) got up to do his set and he was playing through one. The sound was just awesome. The place was just hoppin. As I went in to check it out I ran into the guy again who promptly high fived me and said "It sounds F-g awesome! I am sooooooo wrong man! I am eating my words!" Once you get past the stereotypes, you begin to realize the awesome dynamics and power that can be achieved and you realize that not only is it easily the equivalent but in many ways is even better. That said, I am not here to sell you, just trying to point out that technology has changed, and as Eric notes, there is more science than magic at play here. The magic is when you add your guitar and your playing and you hear the possibilities... Well said Eric.

As far as tube amps being replaced with modeling, I would have to ask why is it that the biggest modeling company is now selling tube amps designed by Bogner? Modeling is okay but it often lacks the dynamic feel and rich harmonic presence that a good tube amp or a next generation solid state amplifier can give. We often find people that bring their modeling pedals to a jam wind up plugging straight in by the end of the night. There is nothing quite like the responsiveness, the tone, and the rich dynamics of playing through a well built analog amplifier. Regardless of whether it is tube or analog solid state.

By the way, my name is Chris Parks, and I am happy to chat with you too. Feel free to give me a ring. (714)773-2853 or email me at chris@quilterlabs.com

Jerrod
03-02-2012, 08:41 PM
I have to concur with Eric on this one. Pat Quilter (our founder) often says that an electron has no idea whether it is in a tube or a transistor. Tubes behave the way they do for a reason, and that reason can be studied experimented with and ultimately re-created with incredible results. For us the proof is in artist after artist who swears up and down that we are lying and somehow managed to slip a tube inside our tiny little case. Or when they tell me they don't even touch their other amps anymore and they are selling them off on ebay or craigslist. The reality is that a good design can do it. The problem most people have is actually an illustration of how early opinions can carry forward for generations even though technology changes.
Early on when solid state amps were created, they built simple linear solid state amplifiers or tried to substitute tube components for solid state components. Some did better than others using different transistor types but the results ultimately left us cold, and lifeless. Word of course got out. "Solid state sucks... Tubes are awesome..." (I am being tongue in cheek here...)
This of course became the accepted "norm". Although technology and components have marched on providing us with a far greater pallet of components and design technologies, the world is still kind of stuck with that perpetuated myth. If this happened in the world of recorded music, we would all still be rolling in the streets with our Sony walkmans. Although they were great, technology finally moved along. The advantages were so tremendous that ultimately the idea that tape was better than digital was simply absurd.
Same thing has happened here, although some are more stubborn than others. Here is a funny story for you though that shows the reality.

I was manning our booth (we sponsored Deke's guitar show.) at Deke Dickerson's Guitar Geek festival and while I was there someone came up and was interested in the Quilter MicroPro 200. As the fellow started asking questions his friend came up and started saying, "It's a cheap crappy amp man. Just ignore this dude. (Me) Come on, let's go." (You know what I am saying, just ratchet the language up to inappropriate levels and add some vitriole to the dialog to understand what was really happening.) Later that night, Freddie Roulette (Famed slide player) got up to do his set and he was playing through one. The sound was just awesome. The place was just hoppin. As I went in to check it out I ran into the guy again who promptly high fived me and said "It sounds F-g awesome! I am sooooooo wrong man! I am eating my words!" Once you get past the stereotypes, you begin to realize the awesome dynamics and power that can be achieved and you realize that not only is it easily the equivalent but in many ways is even better. That said, I am not here to sell you, just trying to point out that technology has changed, and as Eric notes, there is more science than magic at play here. The magic is when you add your guitar and your playing and you hear the possibilities... Well said Eric.

As far as tube amps being replaced with modeling, I would have to ask why is it that the biggest modeling company is now selling tube amps designed by Bogner? Modeling is okay but it often lacks the dynamic feel and rich harmonic presence that a good tube amp or a next generation solid state amplifier can give. We often find people that bring their modeling pedals to a jam wind up plugging straight in by the end of the night. There is nothing quite like the responsiveness, the tone, and the rich dynamics of playing through a well built analog amplifier. Regardless of whether it is tube or analog solid state.

By the way, my name is Chris Parks, and I am happy to chat with you too. Feel free to give me a ring. (714)773-2853 or email me at chris@quilterlabs.com

Thanks for adding to the broad brush generalizations.

Ben Furman
03-03-2012, 12:54 PM
Glad to see your participation in the thread, Chris. Welcome to TGP. I own a Pritchard amp and would love to try one of yours. The Matt Blackett demo sounds great.

QuilterLabs
03-04-2012, 07:50 AM
Thanks for adding to the broad brush generalizations.

Yeah, sorry. Sometimes the frustration boils over a little.
You are right though. We are making progress everyday!
Hearing is believing.

Tubevalvemaniac
02-23-2013, 04:09 AM
Who knows me will tell you that I am tube-valve-maniac in full extent of appreciating tube as core of the best sounding guitar amps.
Also, I used to play and not love few SS amps in between. Roland JC-120 is not my thing, as well.
Out of curiosity and being ready to take a loss, I 've ordered Gold Estoc in a bit unuaual for me speaker configuration 2x10". More like experimentation amp to say at least.
My Gold Estoc was in studio and played daily in company of Bogners, Two Rock, Fender, Vox, Dr Z and other renowned and well respected tube amps.
I left to fellow guitar players to see it and eventually try it. In most cases noone ever heard of name Pritchard.
Due to its look, most of guys praised ringing warm cleans and fine saturated sounds of that 'nice 2x10" tube combo' and it is easy to imagine their surprise when I revealed that amp is SS. What can be more convincing??
I might blind myself, but it wouldn't work easily with some sasoned players that don't buy BS easily. For most of guys Gold Estoc amp is simply surprisingly good.
3 years later I bought more typical 1x12" Sword of Satori and frankly speaking this one makes more of studio job than half dozen of tube amps of the highest calibre.
I don't call it SS, SS vs tube lost relevance here. Kudos to Eric and I hardly believe that there is anyone who played his amps for some time that would not share same enthusiasm.
Why there is not more praises on TGP?
Simply, most of Pritchard owners are guys who already played for years and this is usually one of the last purchases they intend to make (simply no need to search for 'that sound' anymore). People are rare bird on forums compared to wider audience of players who come to learn something.
Pritchard lacks appeal of some boutique brands, but his shop is as much boutique as it can get, he is passionate, clever and honest. For me SS niche means only Pritchard and I warmly recommend his amps independently of preference for tube or SS.

Ben Furman
02-23-2013, 09:47 PM
Simply, most of Pritchard owners are guys who already played for years and this is usually one of the last purchases they intend to make (simply no need to search for 'that sound' anymore). People are rare bird on forums compared to wider audience of players who comes to learn something.

This is largely true. There are very few owners, and most of them don't participate actively on forums. I've personally said as much as I can on the topic.

For better online presence, Eric needs some professional YouTube demos. That is simply the culture we live in.

rgee27
02-23-2013, 10:12 PM
Retro Channel RR1!! Awesome tube type tone and sensitivity !

ekp
02-24-2013, 07:13 PM
Who knows me will tell you that I am tube-valve-maniac in full extent of appreciating tube as core of the best sounding guitar amps.
Also, I used to play and not love few SS amps in between. Roland JC-120 is not my thing, as well.
Out of curiosity and being ready to take a loss, I 've ordered Gold Estoc in a bit unuaual for me speaker configuration 2x10". More like experimentation amp to say at least.
My Gold Estoc was in studio and played daily in company of Bogners, Two Rock, Fender, Vox, Dr Z and other renowned and well respected tube amps.
I left to fellow guitar players to see it and eventually try it. In most cases noone ever heard of name Pritchard.
Due to its look, most of guys praised ringing warm cleans and fine saturated sounds of that 'nice 2x10" tube combo' and it is easy to imagine their surprise when I revealed that amp is SS. What can be more convincing??
I might blind myself, but it wouldn't work easily with some sasoned players that don't buy BS easily. For most of guys Gold Estoc amp is simply surprisingly good.
3 years later I bought more typical 1x12" Sword of Satori and frankly speaking this one makes more of studio job than half dozen of tube amps of the highest calibre.
I don't call it SS, SS vs tube lost relevance here. Kudos to Eric and I hardly believe that there is anyone who played his amps for some time that would not share same enthusiasm.
Simply, most of Pritchard owners are guys who already played for years and this is usually one of the last purchases they intend to make (simply no need to search for 'that sound' anymore). People are rare bird on forums compared to wider audience of players who come to learn something.
Pritchard lacks appeal of some boutique brands, but his shop is as much boutique as it can get, he is passionate, clever and honest. For me SS niche means only Pritchard and I warmly recommend his amps independently of preference for tube or SS.

After putting in 15 years of research, obtaining a substantial batch of patents, and producing amps the are truly appreciated, I find that many like what they hear until they find out that it is solid state. And then their minds close around the exaggerated claims made by the big amplifier companies - it sounds just like tubes. Well, for 30 years or more those solid state amps did not. But those companies did not do their homework.

Brian Kellner was doing a gig and an absolute tube enthusiast wondered about his new amp, a 2-12 Gold Estoc. Brian suggested that he listen to it for the first set and come back during the break, which he did. So he is really curious after listening to it until he looked at the back and realized that it was a "tranny." That was the end of that. Then, it did not matter how great the amp sounded.

Thank you for your kind words. I do appreciate your enthusiasm and appreciation.

Have a great day, Eric