PDA

View Full Version : To the users of Grolsch washers for strap locks...

mtmartin71
02-28-2012, 05:20 PM
How long do they tend to last for you? I just tried this suggested "trick" for my Gibson SG at a gig and it worked perfectly for me. Easy, simple, and effective. I'm thinking I'd want to use it for other guitars I have with the same smaller strap pins as the Gibsons come with. This will allow me to use my Gibson leather strap safely on more guitars. I did try to buy a pack of washers from a brewer but got washers that are tougher and not as flexible as the Grolsch ones. I don't mind buying Grolsch 4 packs to get new ones, but I just wondered how long before they wear out?

crzyfngers
02-28-2012, 05:24 PM
i've been using mine for about 3 years. still as good as new.

MGBlues
02-28-2012, 05:25 PM
Had a pair on my Strat for months without issue...

I just keep buying the beer every so often... Got a nice supply of them now.... And a belly! :)

uncle psychosis
02-28-2012, 05:32 PM
I've had mine on my guitars for years. But I don't ever take the straps off. One strap and set of washers per guitar.

g-mane
02-28-2012, 05:32 PM
I always lose them before they're worn out, so I don't know how long they really last.

romo
02-28-2012, 06:32 PM
I've been using them for 3 or so years. One of my washers is a little stretched and doesn't work so well on those tiny Gibson strap buttons. It still works great on Fenders.

fjblair
02-28-2012, 06:35 PM
I don't drink Grolsch, do you have to buy the beer to get the washers?

peskypesky
02-28-2012, 06:37 PM

nope

http://www.amazon.com/BrewCraft-Grolsch-Bottle-Replacement-Washers/dp/B004NXUJ06

http://www.amazon.com/Grolsch-Gaskets-25-Count/dp/B0064OE7IW/ref=pd_sbs_k_1

http://www.brewps.com/flip-top-bottle-washer-grolsch-washer.html

http://www.ritebrew.com/product-p/864249.htm

mtmartin71
02-28-2012, 07:41 PM
nope

http://www.amazon.com/BrewCraft-Grolsch-Bottle-Replacement-Washers/dp/B004NXUJ06

http://www.amazon.com/Grolsch-Gaskets-25-Count/dp/B0064OE7IW/ref=pd_sbs_k_1

http://www.brewps.com/flip-top-bottle-washer-grolsch-washer.html

http://www.ritebrew.com/product-p/864249.htm

One thing I would say though...the washers in those pictures don't look or feel like the ones off the actual Grolsch bottles. I just bought some that look like these. Haven't tried them yet, but the actual washers from a Grolsch bottle feel like they'd work better.

lshines
02-28-2012, 07:47 PM
but does anyone have a pic of these in use? I assume that the strap goes on the button, and then the grolsch washers go on..therefore to the "outside" of the strap......

Hey, as an engineer, one has to work with all possiblities, test, etc.....

DavidLM
02-28-2012, 07:47 PM
I don't drink beer and didn't care for Grolsch when I did.

So I use black rubber washers from Lowes. The black is more subdued and blends in better IMO.

Don A
02-28-2012, 07:49 PM
You got it right.

but does anyone have a pic of these in use? I assume that the strap goes on the button, and then the grolsch washers go on..therefore to the "outside" of the strap......

HoboMan
02-28-2012, 07:52 PM

Sounds like it would be hard to change guitars during a gig.
I have my wireless transmitter attached to one strap and need use that one strap for all of my guitars.

Polyester
02-28-2012, 07:54 PM
I hereby volunteer to send you four of them, for the low low price of a 4-pack of Grolsch. :)

CharAznable
02-28-2012, 07:54 PM
Better beers come with washers to.

Nothing on my guitars but the washers from Ueriges Doppelsticke.

Only way to maintain the crystal lattice for those haunting mids.

crzyfngers
02-28-2012, 07:59 PM
I have my wireless transmitter attached to one strap and need use that one strap for all of my guitars.
actually they pull off pretty easily if you stretch them a little when you pull them off. of course you compromise the integrity of the rubber by repeated removals.

Glowing Tubes
02-28-2012, 10:00 PM

Yeah, I had wondered about this as well.. Seems so simple. I don't drink much Grolsch so may have to hit the hardware store.

walterw
02-28-2012, 11:37 PM
you don't find that time-consuming between songs? and is this one strap the exact right length for all your guitars?

my guitars all have their own straps (held on with grolsch gaskets, i'm drinking one as i type this), and my wireless stays on my belt; when changing guitars, there's only one thing to detach (the wireless cable plug), instead of three (the cable and two strap buttons).

GibsonSGgirl
02-28-2012, 11:56 PM
I bought a set of Grolsh washers but I never could get them stretched to fit over the strap button. So I gave up. I couldn't find any of the beers in my local grocery store, so I've given up till I can find the actual beer--maybe the washers on them will be more pliable and not so stiff/rigid...

vintage66
02-29-2012, 12:15 AM
I bought a set of Grolsh washers but I never could get them stretched to fit over the strap button. So I gave up. I couldn't find any of the beers in my local grocery store, so I've given up till I can find the actual beer--maybe the washers on them will be more pliable and not so stiff/rigid...

You probably have to go to a liquor store-it's the bigger bottles with the metal wires. I don't leave my staps on with the guitars in the case so it's a bit of a pain-most have Schallers but I use'em with my Nash. Luckily I like Grolsh.

bluesjuke
02-29-2012, 12:28 AM
As far as wear is concerned just keep an eye out for overstretched, dryness, or cracks developing.

fjblair
02-29-2012, 09:38 AM
I hereby volunteer to send you four of them, for the low low price of a 4-pack of Grolsch. :)

Forget it pal ;)

It's off to the beer store for me. I love beer so I figure drinking a few Grolsch won't kill me. I'm just used to light beer not real beer.

2HBStrat
02-29-2012, 11:14 AM
These work, too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bread_clip

g-mane
02-29-2012, 11:44 AM
You can get washers from the hardware store for pennies. A couple of bucks will get you enough to last a year or more, depending on how fast you lose 'em. ;) Take a strap button (or your guitar!) or a Grolsch-style washer to match up the size, and you're in business. They are invisible against a black strap, as well.

rmconner80
02-29-2012, 11:52 AM
The bottles are call flip tops and you can find much better beers than Grolsh in these anachronistic bottles. That said, I can't attest to the elasticity of washers on other brands so you may need to drink through quite a few to find the right quality ;)

newswede
02-29-2012, 11:58 AM
As noted, the other washers (grommets actually) are not the same. Very close...I even bought what I thought were authorized ones in bulk but don't seem the same. They last forever.
Also note, depending on the guitar, they can work the strap pin screw loose. It happened so often on my Strat I stopped doing it. After I went back to the good old Dunlop plastic ones I've never had a problem.

buddastrat
02-29-2012, 12:01 PM
I had one break, they usually last, but maybe it was a cold winter night. Can't remember. they work well. But gotta dump the skunk beer. Basically Grolsh are overpriced rubber washers. Better to go to the hardware store and then stop off and pick up some GOOD beer!

nnick
02-29-2012, 01:12 PM
I've had mine on my guitars for years. But I don't ever take the straps off. One strap and set of washers per guitar.

This is what I do. I have had the same ones on for about 2 years and they are still like new.

I went to a brewing supply store and bought a package of 20 for under $2 if I recall correctly.

DaBlizzardofOz
02-29-2012, 04:12 PM
The bottles are call flip tops and you can find much better beers than Grolsh in these anachronistic bottles. That said, I can't attest to the elasticity of washers on other brands so you may need to drink through quite a few to find the right quality ;)

I just got some from Moosebachen Wheat Beer. Liked it much better than the Grolsh. Just be aware that the other type I bought from them had a washer that was glued in & useless for straplocking.