PDA

View Full Version : Looking For A High Gain Overdrive Pedal - Any Suggestions?

binge
03-04-2012, 02:35 PM
Hi folks,

I'm looking for a high gain overdrive pedal. I've toyed around with distortions but, for the most part, I find them too harsh.

The overdrives I have are the Wampler Plexidrive, Wampler Ecstasy, Wampler Paisley Drive, Boss OD-3 and Boss SD-1. I do not consider any of these to be high gain.

When I stack the Boss SD-1 into the OD-3 I can get a good high gain sound, but I'd like a pedal that can do it on it's own.

I do not want a pedal that sounds like heavy metal eg Pantera, Rammstein etc.

I do not want a pedal whereby I'd have to wait for it to be built and I'm after something that is available in the UK / Europe.

The sounds I like are Chris Poland, Warren DeMartini, George Lynch, Joe Stump, Steve Stevens, Reb Beach.

I play through a Cornell Romany and it's very low volume and is very clean. I do not play gigs or play live.

My guitar is a Fender Jeff Beck Signature Strat with dual ceramic single coils.

Thanks!

dshobe
03-04-2012, 03:00 PM
How about the Elements by Dr. Scientist?

binge
03-04-2012, 03:11 PM
How about the Elements by Dr. Scientist?

Checking it out now....it sounds fuzzyish to me. I'm looking a the ProGuitarShop demo.

dshobe
03-04-2012, 03:14 PM
While your at it, check out the Holy Fire by Creation Audio Labs.

Class5
03-04-2012, 03:14 PM
Lovepedal Superlead or the VFE The Scream?

es125luv
03-04-2012, 03:15 PM
I am personally very impressed with the Carl Martin DC Drive. Plenty of gain on tap.

I also use the TC Electronic Dark Matter Distortion a lot. Do not let the name fool you, it is a not a death metal distortion by any means.

Other ideas are the CM Plexitone and the Rockbox Boling Point has a lot of gain on tap.

binge
03-04-2012, 03:20 PM
While your at it, check out the Holy Fire by Creation Audio Labs.

I read that it needs it's own power supply.... Out of the question I'm afraid.

Lovepedal Superlead or the VFE The Scream?

I had a Lovepedal Redhead and I hated it, I think it's the same as the Superlead, right? I also had the Purple Plexi and didn't like it at all. I'm not really a Lovepedal fan.

The Scream sounds good - it's like a turbo charged Tubescreamer, right?

MiguelO
03-04-2012, 03:50 PM
My two "go to" high gain OD's are the Rockbox Boiling Point and Tonemonk Seed of Life.

lspaulsp
03-04-2012, 03:50 PM
If you're not playing live, go to guitar center and get the black MXR distortion for $40. You'll get no respect from the snobs here but it's got plenty hi gain break-up for the bedroom and it's CHEAP. I bough some as presents when they came out on sale for $30. Two out of six are still on pedalboards I use my red one at home thru my 11R. The black one is still on my board. It was cool to see guys I played with open a pedal present.

If you just want to drop a couple of hundred that's cool. The new Dirty Little Secret will go from mild to wild.

binge
03-04-2012, 04:09 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I'm heading to bed now but will look back on this thread in the morning :)

mrpinter
03-04-2012, 04:26 PM
For me, the Subdecay Super Nova Drive does what you're talking about. It can get pretty gain-y and it has a very useful 3 band eq. Here is a pretty good demo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8pnQ1vAbj4) by Bobby Devito.

King Rat
03-04-2012, 05:06 PM
from my experience 50+ overdrives later haha

1. HBE Power Screamer
2. Menatone King Of The Britains
3. Frantone Brooklyn

they have been the only real stand outs for a high gain overdrive i've allowed to be on my board for long periods of time.

Whiskey N Beans
03-04-2012, 05:25 PM
Skreddy Screwdriver

binge
03-04-2012, 05:36 PM
from my experience 50+ overdrives later haha

1. HBE Power Screamer
2. Menatone King Of The Britains
3. Frantone Brooklyn

they have been the only real stand outs for a high gain overdrive i've allowed to be on my board for long periods of time.

Wow, youve played a lot of pedals!

Just before I go, is there such a thing as a high gain, turbo charged Tubescreamer?

Class5
03-04-2012, 06:15 PM

Just before I go, is there such a thing as a high gain, turbo charged Tubescreamer?

I'd say the VFE's The Scream is in that ballpark.

King Rat
03-04-2012, 07:04 PM

The middle position of the HBE is pretty turbo, more gain, more bottom end, tad more compression etc..

The TS9Dx is the turbo tubescreamer, and keeley has a modded version.

although i read recently at namm that ibanez or maxon just brought out a new one which is a bit of a cross with an SD9 which might be interesting...

tnt365
03-04-2012, 08:28 PM
Skreddy Top Fuel

Wagster
03-04-2012, 08:35 PM
Suhr Riot
SCNA7Z6tPnc

Carl Martin Plexitone (If your amp is set on the Darker side this pedal is hard to beat)
Ng4peS3MjrY

shredtrash
03-04-2012, 08:37 PM
Wampler Plextortion

matt5150
03-04-2012, 09:50 PM
The sounds I like are Chris Poland, Warren DeMartini, George Lynch, Joe Stump, Steve Stevens, Reb Beach.

We have similar tastes.

I really like the XActone Atomic OD followed by the Tone Freak Abunai 2 to get these tones.

Matt

LPMojoGL
03-04-2012, 09:59 PM
I like distortion.
But, if I wanted hi gain overdrive, and not distortion.
I'd be looking at Barber Direct Drive, SS, Small Fry...

Charlie_Pace
03-04-2012, 10:25 PM
Suhr Riot, duh.

johann
03-04-2012, 11:28 PM
Wampler Plextortion
Wampler Pinnacle
Suhr Riot
Lovepedal Superlead

richpjr
03-04-2012, 11:41 PM
Suhr Riot, duh.

This. The Riot is my go to high gain pedal.

Buzzard Luck
03-05-2012, 04:03 AM
The TC Electronic Dark Matter certainly deserves your consideration - it has a lightning fast response and enough gain for most purposes that's not too dirty.
Plus, it is neck pickup friendly, which some pedals are not.

AceBSpankin
03-05-2012, 10:20 AM
I have been through the White face Rat, Pinnacle Deluxe and the SLO,for a solution my high gains needs. They all were harsh on top and woofy/bloated on the low end side, with my rig that is!! I tried the Bearfoot HoneyBeest!! And I won't need to look any futher!! This thing totally kicks azz.... YMMV of course!!

Spark
03-05-2012, 10:27 AM
Riot - high gain for sure, but at non-gig levels I still hear a little bit of that TS squeak.

Wanj
03-05-2012, 10:45 AM
I've heard from some that Riot doesn't have a particularly great low end kick, they say its a bit lacking in the bass .

Is this really the case?

I wanna try something to replace my DS-2 as a distortion

hector
03-05-2012, 11:25 AM
Suhr Riot
Barber Dirty Bomb
Emma Reezafratzitz
TCE Dark Matter

plan-x
03-05-2012, 11:32 AM
Barber Dirty bomb has done my high gain needs for the last year or so. I've done the cap mod to cut down on the fuzzy characteristics and it just sings hair band high gain with a modern edge. No sweat pullin off Lynch. I am giving a new one a go, the Hermida Tiki drive has enough gain to compete in those areas. The EQ is a little bright and I just run the tone all the way down for a smooth and articulate shredder. I contacted Alf at Hermida and he's gonna make me one with a darker EQ curve. I like the Tiki drive b/c it actually has touch sensitive dynamics in high gain with no fuzzy characteristics and smooth voicing.

es125luv
03-05-2012, 09:29 PM
The TC Electronic Dark Matter certainly deserves your consideration - it has a lightning fast response and enough gain for most purposes that's not too dirty.
Plus, it is neck pickup friendly, which some pedals are not.

+1 (again...). I have found the best "boarder line" high gain overdrive tones from pedals that sell themselves as very high gain pedals.

The Dark Matter is very amp-like.

tjinca1
03-06-2012, 01:53 AM
Wampler Pinnacle Deluxe on vintage mode gets great high gain OD tones if you dont max out the gain knob.

WhoJamFan
03-06-2012, 04:40 AM
Barber Dirty Bomb, tons of gain and bass response on tap. NOT one of the many Marshall in a box pedals with the whispy high end when you crank your amp up. You can't lose at the price either, no 300+ dollar wait a year+ deal either.

HBob
03-06-2012, 08:32 AM
MI Audio Tube Zone. Seven knobs get you a ton of different tones and feel. I've had the version with six large knobs on the top for years now. Never gets old.

billfoma
03-06-2012, 10:03 AM
Catalinbread Super Charged Overdrive. Does 80s hair metal VERY well.

Progbusters
03-06-2012, 10:29 AM

A high gain turbo charged HBE Powerscreamer is the HBE Doomsday Device

lonetone483
03-06-2012, 11:04 AM
Ibanez Jet Drive from their 9 series. I was surprised at how much it sounded like my Fulldrive2 MOSFET with the boost dimed. Very nice overdrive indeed.

speedemon
03-06-2012, 01:25 PM
Not sure what your looking for, an OD or a distortion. In any case, some nice pedals I have found;

Radial Tonebone Hot British - "m" ish distortion that is smooth and does mid gain or molten metal. Swapping the 12ax7 will give you different textures from the gain. Voicing controls are very "logical".

Cusack Screamer - does the TS9 thing with more smoothness, some extra gain available and voice switch for doing multiple tricks.

+1 on Carl Martin Plexitone - nice "m" tones, gainy but not molten metal. Comes with built in boost which is nice feature.

Most of these pedals I have only seen in message board posts, where do people try/buy them? (no, I am not in the sticks...)

Good luck!

Randingo
03-06-2012, 01:52 PM
I think Steve Stevens uses the EWS Mini Brute Drive. Check it out as a fairly inexpensive and extremely board-friendly option.

JamesSGBrown
03-06-2012, 01:59 PM
Emma ReezaFRATzitz

rico1204
03-06-2012, 02:19 PM
Wampler Plextortion

+1...you've already got all the Wampler lo/med gain pedals. Stay in the family!

jlagrassa
03-06-2012, 02:22 PM
check out the Barber B-Custom Super Sport, nice gain tones in that pedal with out sounding like a metal pedal.... also very tweakable!