PDA

View Full Version : Voodoo Lab Giggity vs Vintage fx Colordrive

fuzz-bruzz
03-06-2012, 01:02 AM
Hey guys, first post here

I was wondering how these two pedals compare, I'm using an MXR classic 108 fuzz with an artec delay and im hoping to use one of these (will probably get both due to gas haha) to boost my fuzz as it lacks a little bit of sustain on its own, I'm hoping to run my rig like this

Guitar>Fuzz>Maxon od808>(Giggity and/or Colordrive)>delay>amp

and for now im running into the clean channel of my Marshall DSL401, sort of like a hot clean sound with a tiny bit of grit. My favourite sort of tones are David Gilmour DSoTM and Eric Johnson AVM, so im thinking with the Giggity I can get a little bit more of a plexi feel out of the amp and give the fuzz some needed sustain and boost, and then the same sort of thing with a different flavor from the colourdrive, I use the Maxon to get some more mids out of the dirty channel of my DSL but i figure I can use it to get some more grit for the fuzz too, and BTW im using a strat with seymour duncan SSL-1 neck and middle and SSL-5 bridge pickups

Thank you in advance, Alex :wave

Guitar Josh
03-06-2012, 06:28 AM
Alex, these two pedals are like apples and Volkswagons.

ToneRanger72
03-06-2012, 06:43 AM
The thing to realize about the Giggity is that it's more of a tone shaper than a drive box - with the gain maxed out you're just past breakup, similar to an Xotic RC Booster but smoother.
The Giggity can give you the eq and smoother attack to get EJ sounds, but if you need more dirt then it's not going to give you much.
Then again you said the amp you're running already has some dirt - the Giggity can push that harder (it has an absolute TON of output,) so that may take you into old school Plexi range...

fuzz-bruzz
03-07-2012, 12:06 AM
Thanks for the response guys, yeah I knew they were totally different pedals, I was just thinking that if the Giggity can tone shape on some settings and for other settings really give the fuzz face a boost then I would go for it. I'm not really looking for dirt, just a bit of grit so the fuzz doesn't sound as tame I guess.

Cheers, Alex

bonchie123
03-10-2012, 01:30 PM
That 808 and/or fuzz + the Giggity should get you EJ tones easy based on the youtube video's I've seen.

You've got enough dirt boxes to get the gain levels you need. Shaping and boosting is what you need and that's what the Giggity is supposed to be for.

fuzz-bruzz
03-11-2012, 06:22 AM
Yeah shaping and boosting is excactly what I want to do, it seems they both boost in very different flavours but the Giggity seems more strident in EQ-ing to achieve marshall-y or dumble-y tones, the videos James Santiago has been putting out for VL are great, especially with the EJ fuzz face.

Alex

bonchie123
03-11-2012, 09:28 PM
I'm trying to figure out who even has the Giggity in stock. Anyone know?

fuzz-bruzz
03-15-2012, 04:04 AM
I'm trying to figure out who even has the Giggity in stock. Anyone know?

I've been checking around, sites like Sweetwater all say there new to the store and have been ordered, about a month ago there was maybe one or two Ebay store with them in stock but not anymore.

Cheers, Alex

fuzz-bruzz
03-30-2012, 02:13 AM
Scored a Throbak ODB of the emporium and it arrived today, this thing is sweet! It's definitely not what the Giggity claims to do (be very amp like), this pedal is very edgy when the gain is up but i've found it work the best when going after my fuzz face to provide a nice loud clean boost or just to add some needed sustain at low volumes, this thing is perfect! It's almost certainly reduced my GAS for the Giggity (for now hehe).

Alex.