PDA

View Full Version : Boss Pedals: Your Favorite Mods/Upgrades?

ChampReverb
03-15-2012, 10:34 PM
Alright, I've got several older Boss Japan(?) pedals hanging around just collecting dust.

The pedals I have are:
CE-3 Chorus
CS-3 Compressor Sustainer
BF-2 Flanger
FZ-2 HyperFuzz
FT-2 Dynamic Filter

I know a number of people out there offer (DIY?) mods / parts upgrade kits. Do you recommend certain mods or kits over others?

I see Monte Allums, Fromel, Analogman, Keeley. Who else should I consider?

Or, should I just leave them all stock and wait for the archeologists to arrive in a few years? The pedals are all pretty clean with barely any nicks or scratches.

Thanks,

-bEn r.

LouRossi
03-15-2012, 10:45 PM
Brian Wampler modded my DF-2 & SD-2 years ago. I think a book was published with his mods?

walterw
03-15-2012, 10:48 PM
big fan of the allums "opto-mod" for my CS-3. (that's "opto-mod", not "octo-mom"!) that lowly pedal is now the sweet, clear, chewy linchpin to my tone through clean amps.

his mod for my CS-2 was also lovely.

leonardrock
03-16-2012, 03:27 AM
BD-2 with a Monte Allums "Blues Stack" mod.....I think I'm the only dude on TGP that owns one. Totally beats the Keeley. Get a used BD-2, send it off to Merv Jones (who installs for Monte) and enjoy the best kept secret in OD.

soundchaser59
04-28-2012, 08:42 PM
BD-2 with a Monte Allums "Blues Stack" mod.....I think I'm the only dude on TGP that owns one. Totally beats the Keeley. Get a used BD-2, send it off to Merv Jones (who installs for Monte) and enjoy the best kept secret in OD.

That really is an awesome mod, better by far than any other Allums BD2 mod. I wish he could/would adapt that mod to the OD3.

cam.man67
04-28-2012, 09:18 PM
I personally am not a fan of Keeley. I've had 2 Keeley DS-1s, and a Keeley TR-2. The two DS-1 just sounded muddy, and the TR-2 I had to send back to Keeley (who I thought was a little rude, IMO) three times for repairs on the depth/volume pot.

Monte Allums I've had better luck with. Had an Allums SD-1 that was pretty good, and modded an MT-2 that sucked less than a normal MT-2. ;)

gpro34
04-28-2012, 09:21 PM
I love the boss dc3, but most guys probably do not and will not get it...

FenderBigot
04-28-2012, 09:52 PM
Keeley phat BD2 mod took a good pedal and made it great. Only one I've ever used.

lareplus
04-28-2012, 11:53 PM
I hate to say it but I just don't like Boss pedals all that much. . .They should get it right the first time, but there is a reason why there are so many mod companies.

I was in a little guitar store today and played a few of the pedals in the Boss display and just wasn't at all impressed. . .the gear was good, not one of those little cheapie amps. . .and it was lackluster city. I wish it were otherwise because the pedals are durable and nicely laid out. . .but oh well. .

NakedInTheRain
04-29-2012, 01:49 AM
I hate to say it but I just don't like Boss pedals all that much. . .They should get it right the first time, but there is a reason why there are so many mod companies.

I was in a little guitar store today and played a few of the pedals in the Boss display and just wasn't at all impressed. . .the gear was good, not one of those little cheapie amps. . .and it was lackluster city. I wish it were otherwise because the pedals are durable and nicely laid out. . .but oh well. .

yeah it's pretty strange huh. most of their older MIJ stuff is totally killer. but a lot of their newer drives are lame.

for the record i have a ce-2, hf-2, ph-1r and hm-2 and they're all awesome at what they do.

champion ruby
04-29-2012, 02:26 AM

Well they do get it right the first time apart from what I consider their gimmick pedals. My biggest problem with boss pedals is most have died on me even though they're "built like a tank."

forum_crawler
04-29-2012, 06:07 AM
I have never had a boss pedal die on me. I have had to send other pedals for repair, but never a boss or mxr/dunlop.

Boss has a good variety of pedals, very good for middle of the road. Most people here are not fans of boss, myself included, but then again, I am no fan of ZVex pedals, Klon, and many other favourites here.

I do see many more big names using boss pedals than any other manufacturer.

Screamin Willie
04-29-2012, 06:50 AM
I have installed Monte Allums BD-2 H2O mod (that was before there was a Blues Stack), CS-3 Opto mod, and just yesterday, installed a TR-2+.

All three are great.

Willie

Laurie
04-29-2012, 08:48 AM
There are at least 4 flavours of CS-3 and they respond differently to modding. Which one do you have? If you open it up and look for the VCA chip - it will have either THAT or dBx on it. What part number is it?

CE-3 and BF-2 - there are a few mods out there. Wampler has a couple in his book. While they are not particularly expensive pedals, the Boss community generally doesn't mess with these pedals.
FZ-2 - generally no one mods these. Considered to be a classic in Boss circles. it will only go up in value.
FT-2 - No mods that I've seen for these. Not much love either.

soundchaser59
04-29-2012, 01:23 PM
Out of the 100+ Boss pedals I've had in my life, the only one that ever did not work was a used one that simply needed a new switch installed under the stomp, and that was a $5 dollar repair. Another used one had scratchy pots, and those cannot be cleaned because they are sealed, that one got returned to the seller and refunded. Otherwise, no issues at all.

I love the BD2 Stack mod, and the TR2 mod was good, OD3 modded was good, but I sold those.

I still have a Pedalhacker modded BF2 that I cant part with, and I'm tempted to have another go with an Allums modded OD3. The CS3 mods were good but never, imo, made the pedal completely usable because it left the attack issue unresolved.

I still have an NS2 on my board also.

leonardrock
04-29-2012, 06:42 PM
I love the BD2 Stack mod, and the TR2 mod was good, OD3 modded was good, but I sold those.

Soundchaser, so you also have an Allums BD-2 with the Blues Stack?!?

soundchaser59
04-29-2012, 07:45 PM
Soundchaser, so you also have an Allums BD-2 with the Blues Stack?!?

Had.....

I sold it because I still was not totally happy with the sound I got from the gain. The stack mod really hit the spot on the level and tone aspects, great for a clean or semi clean boost or OD use. The gain was drastically improved, but still a bit too fuzzy for my taste, even after the mod. I think I got more use out of the OD3 for what I was doing, and it didn't seem quite as fizzy.

But after I installed the stack mod, the improvement was quite obvious. I had 5 or 6 BD2's that I installed Allums mods on, all within a few months of each other, so I had a pretty good reference at the time. The stack mod was very noticeably better than the other BD2 mods.

joe_k
04-29-2012, 07:51 PM
monte allums mods are great.

EADGBE
04-29-2012, 08:09 PM
I like their DD-5 digital delay.

leonardrock
04-30-2012, 12:31 PM
Had.....

I sold it because I still was not totally happy with the sound I got from the gain. The stack mod really hit the spot on the level and tone aspects, great for a clean or semi clean boost or OD use. The gain was drastically improved, but still a bit too fuzzy for my taste, even after the mod. I think I got more use out of the OD3 for what I was doing, and it didn't seem quite as fizzy.

But after I installed the stack mod, the improvement was quite obvious. I had 5 or 6 BD2's that I installed Allums mods on, all within a few months of each other, so I had a pretty good reference at the time. The stack mod was very noticeably better than the other BD2 mods.

Interesting, I do agree that the gain knob dimed is still a bit fuzzy and yes, a little bit of fizzy artifacts remain. This hasn't been a problem for me since the overall range of improvement is still spectacular. Having played it stock for 6 years, the thing really sounded so much better. It really was an awesome day when I got it back from Merv Jones.

I'm more and more interested in the OD-3 these days....can you point me to some good mp3/video resources for the Allums OD-3? That might be my next modded Boss box.

-=solewheelin
04-30-2012, 02:13 PM
Pulling the clipping diodes in my DF-2 greatly improved it's sound.

FT-2 is great if used with expression pedal. It's a poor mans MF101 in a way :) (except it's not as hot sounding).

otherone
04-30-2012, 02:14 PM
Analogman Hi-cut mod of DD2 or DD3...simply awesome

gtrman20
05-10-2012, 11:52 PM
I have a Keeley modded SD-1 and it is a sweet pedal, it can go from a boost all the way up to a very useful heavy OD. It has a toggle that changes the sound up. I picked it up used on the Bay a few years ago for $75 shipped and its never left my board. Stock this pedal is just ok but with the mod, really great tone. I also had a Monte Allums SD-1 with the GT mod. This was also a really great upgrade but I decided to keep the Keeley I already had. Bang for your buck these modded SD-1 pedals are hard to beat.

Anyone using a Boss OD-3, I have heard a lot of great things about that pedal as well ?