PDA

View Full Version : Zoom G3: Use expression pedal AND tap tempo

MistaBusta
03-26-2012, 12:46 PM
I've seen many people complaining about the G3 limiting you to either expression and no tap tempo or tap tempo and no expression (it only has one jack on the back). Well, let me solve your problem for $5.

Go to Radio Shack and buy a 2 Female Stereo to 1 Male Stereo adapter. Plug the adapter into your G3 and your footswitch and expression into the adapter. Go to the screen for control switch functionality and set it to "tap".

I tested it today using expression for vibe speed and footswitch for delay time. Worked like a charm. Btw, the vibe in this pedal is almost worth the $199.

Now go set some tempos and wah to your heart's content.

yurka723
03-26-2012, 01:04 PM
Exactly what I have done. Thanks for posting!

SeeMoore
03-26-2012, 01:09 PM
And wah-wah too?!?!

weshunter
10-02-2012, 10:37 AM
can anyone confirm that this works?

RLD
10-02-2012, 11:55 AM
Looks like MistaBusta confirms it.
"I tested it today using expression for vibe speed and footswitch for delay time. Worked like a charm."

Where in the chain is an expression pedal plugged into the jack, functioning as a volume pedal placed?
I have a G3X and use the expression pedal for volume. I use it on the amp level so my reverbs and delays don't get cut off. If used as "output volume" it cuts off those fx's.
I want to use another exp pedal in the control jack for volume and use the attached pedal for other things.

dhbret
10-02-2012, 01:57 PM
This is good news. Will try it out tonight. Thanks!
Bret

birdie_in_texas
10-02-2012, 09:43 PM
I feel stupid, but I am confused by the description of the cable and adapter...

UncleLarry
10-02-2012, 10:00 PM
I feel stupid, but I am confused by the description of the cable and adapter...

The OP is talking about one of these...
http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb457/harrlj/Stereoheadphoneadapter.jpg

jmwreck
10-03-2012, 06:23 AM
or this
http://ak1.ostkcdn.com/images/products/3/P11144278.jpg

Akeldama
10-03-2012, 06:41 AM
Didn't work when I tried it. But that may be down to the expression pedal I used.

weshunter
10-03-2012, 06:43 AM
what exp pedal were you using?

ballhawk
10-03-2012, 12:51 PM
That has to be 1/4 in. stereo (as in, tip ring, ground) adapter right ? Hard to tell from the pictures posted but that's what they look like. But simple footswitch could be mono. What's different about an expression pedal vs. switch?

camstudio
10-03-2012, 12:59 PM
Tap tempo will measure an on/ off signal. Expression will be in a circuit measuring something (resistance, voltage?) across the potentiometer. Hence the need for the stereo jack. The splitter will enable you to send a stereo or mono signal. Genius :)

ballhawk
10-03-2012, 01:03 PM
I figured that out after I posted but thanks for confirming. It's like the old joke about a thermos. Put something cold in it and it stays cold. Put something hot in it and it stays hot. But how does it know?

camstudio
10-03-2012, 03:41 PM
Just been trying to set this up with mess of cables when I discovered something. I have been using a Boss FV-50L stereo volume pedal and a bespeco non-latch switch. The Boss pedal has a tuner out jack. You can get this to work by plugging the switch into the tuner out. The stereo outs need to be connected to the input and output 1 on the Boss. This must be what the tuner out is hooked up to. Works!

Edit: The tap tempo only works when the pedal is up.

Akeldama
10-04-2012, 06:15 AM
what exp pedal were you using?

M-Audio EX-P Expression Pedal

Rena Rune
10-13-2012, 12:22 PM
I have the same expression pedal. Can you get Control Switch and EXP pedal functionality? that would really expand the G3 for me a lot by giving me a 4th footswitch.

RLD
10-13-2012, 12:30 PM
Using a stereo splitter for the control input does not work on my G3X.
Tap tempo and exp pedal work separately but not via a splitter.
Apparently its different for the G3.

KenHR
12-26-2012, 03:21 PM
Argh got the Zoom FP02 for Christmas from the wife's family. Plugged a TRS male > 2 TRS female splitter into the Control slot, and plugged in the FP02 in one female jack and the footswitch (also Zoom) into the other...and neither work.

They work individually, and when I unplug one pedal from the splitter, the other works.

Damn, thought this would be awesome if it worked properly. I wonder if another splitter is in order...

Tribute2Johnny
01-05-2013, 01:16 PM
Would you need TRS cables all the way through that chain?

krueger
01-21-2013, 03:15 PM
Would you need TRS cables all the way through that chain?

I think so...

Here's what I've found out so far with a multimeter but without having access to a stereo splitter cable (TRS-male to two TRS-female) as suggested in the beginning of this thread.

Expression pedals seem to use the sleeve and the ring of the TRS jack on the G3. An expression pedal that is heel down has the least resistance, toe down most resistance.

To use the switch function you need to short sleeve and ring and then make a momentary connection between the sleeve/ring and the tip.

I suspect that if you use a stereo splitter cable as suggested above, a mono plug from a footswitch would short the sleeve and ring and make it act like the expression pedal was fully toe down all the time. But if you connect the switch with a stereo cable instead the sleeve and ring won't short and the expression pedal can be used. But then the switch only will work when the expresson pedal is heel down.

Anyone with access to both an expression pedal, momentary footswitch, splitter cable and trs-cables might verify this. I will myself as soon as I get the chance.

KenHR
01-22-2013, 08:26 AM
I did try, per someone's suggestion after my last post, with a TRS cable hooked to the Zoom fs. No dice there, either.

krueger
01-22-2013, 12:06 PM
Hi, I got this working tonight. I have a Zoom FP02 expression pedal and threw together a momentary footswitch from parts (normally open, unlatched). Stereo (TRS) splitter and two stereo cables.

1. Connect stereo-splitter to the Zoom control in
2. Connect momentary footswitch with stereo cable to splitter
3. Connect expression pedal with stereo cable to splitter
4. Put expression pedal heel down fully
5. Now whatever parameter controlled with footswitch can be used (tap tempo etc.)

The FP02 expression pedal uses sleeve and ring. If this hook-up won't work I would check if the expression pedal you are trying to connect uses the sleeve and tip. I guess all expression pedals that use a mono cable (TS) by definition do this. In this case you need to fix your own cable that connects the sleeve of the pedal to the sleeve of a stereo plug and then the tip of the pedal to the ring of the stereo plug.

krueger
02-07-2013, 12:53 AM
Hi, I got this working tonight. I have a Zoom FP02 expression pedal and threw together a momentary footswitch from parts (normally open, unlatched). Stereo (TRS) splitter and two stereo cables.

1. Connect stereo-splitter to the Zoom control in
2. Connect momentary footswitch with stereo cable to splitter
3. Connect expression pedal with stereo cable to splitter
4. Put expression pedal heel down fully
5. Now whatever parameter controlled with footswitch can be used (tap tempo etc.)

The FP02 expression pedal uses sleeve and ring. If this hook-up won't work I would check if the expression pedal you are trying to connect uses the sleeve and tip. I guess all expression pedals that use a mono cable (TS) by definition do this. In this case you need to fix your own cable that connects the sleeve of the pedal to the sleeve of a stereo plug and then the tip of the pedal to the ring of the stereo plug.

Update

I just got a Boss FS5U momentary footswitch to replace my homemade one. I found I needed to modify the stereo-cable connecting it to the stereo splitter in the above scenario. Simply snip the connection to the ring at one plug of the stereo cable.

dhbret
02-07-2013, 05:08 AM
So Krueger:
You're saying that this works as you explained. Just to make sure. I've been waiting since this thread started for a way to do it. Thanks for all the work you put in.
Bret

krueger
02-07-2013, 10:00 AM
Hi!

Yep, it works! I now have the Zoom FP02 and a Boss FS5U connected via a stereo (TRS) cable splitter. Both the footswitch and the expression pedal are connected via stereo cables. The only modification made is that I snipped the wire of the ring on the cable connecting the Boss. The Boss has switchable polarity, it needs to be normally open.

I just wish that there would be more options to assign to the footswitch, for example the ability to switch effects on/off. As of now it's the tuner/bypass, tap tempo and some reverb, delay input mute/hold variations that can be used (specified in the manual).

If you have some other expression pedal and/or footswitch you might need to adjust the cabling somewhat. The important thing to understand in all this is that the G3/5 has support for two functions, a momentary on/off that uses one side of the stereo cable and the variable resistance expression pedal that uses the other side. They must not short the each other out which is best achieved by modifying the cables by cutting the appropriate wire if needed. It is pretty straightforward if you have a multi-meter and measure what your switch and expression pedal are doing when you press them. I'm hardly what you would call electronics savvy but managed to figure this out by some simple trial-and-error with my multi-meter.

jmwreck
03-20-2013, 10:35 AM
Hi!

Yep, it works! I now have the Zoom FP02 and a Boss FS5U connected via a stereo (TRS) cable splitter. Both the footswitch and the expression pedal are connected via stereo cables. The only modification made is that I snipped the wire of the ring on the cable connecting the Boss. The Boss has switchable polarity, it needs to be normally open.

I just wish that there would be more options to assign to the footswitch, for example the ability to switch effects on/off. As of now it's the tuner/bypass, tap tempo and some reverb, delay input mute/hold variations that can be used (specified in the manual).

If you have some other expression pedal and/or footswitch you might need to adjust the cabling somewhat. The important thing to understand in all this is that the G3/5 has support for two functions, a momentary on/off that uses one side of the stereo cable and the variable resistance expression pedal that uses the other side. They must not short the each other out which is best achieved by modifying the cables by cutting the appropriate wire if needed. It is pretty straightforward if you have a multi-meter and measure what your switch and expression pedal are doing when you press them. I'm hardly what you would call electronics savvy but managed to figure this out by some simple trial-and-error with my multi-meter.

hi, I would like to ask you on your wiring configuration. I hope you can do some schematics for it. you mentioned that you use stereo, the tip, ring, and sleeve is connected to which lugs? there should be common for both the tap tempo switch and potentiometer, right? thanks

krueger
03-26-2013, 12:30 PM
hi, I would like to ask you on your wiring configuration. I hope you can do some schematics for it. you mentioned that you use stereo, the tip, ring, and sleeve is connected to which lugs? there should be common for both the tap tempo switch and potentiometer, right? thanks

I've tried to make some schematics from a very cool online schematic editor I found. I hope they make sense because I'm no electronics guy. It's really simple. Pedal between ring and sleeve. Footswitch between tip and sleeve.

V1 is what I use now. It's probably more complicated than it needs to be because I haven't modified the cable to the expression pedal. There is a 90k Ohm resistance between tip and sleeve inside pedal. Cutting the tip and sleeve on the TRS cable to the pedal will give v2 schematic.

https://www.circuitlab.com/circuit/kj3gv8/zoom-g3-switch-and-pedal-v1/

I suspect the simpler V2 would work too but haven't tried it.

https://www.circuitlab.com/circuit/4d2r8j/zoom-g3-switch-and-pedal-v2/

Please correct me if this is obviously wrong. Then it means I have failed to express the circuit correctly in the schematic. The contraption of cables I have at home actually works! ;)

CharlyG
03-26-2013, 01:03 PM
Mine didn't work, so I sold the G3 and got the G3X.

jmwreck
03-26-2013, 07:57 PM
I've tried to make some schematics from a very cool online schematic editor I found. I hope they make sense because I'm no electronics guy. It's really simple. Pedal between ring and sleeve. Footswitch between tip and sleeve.

Thanks, but looking at your schematics, where is the wiper of the pot connected? You have placed a 90kohm resistance between the tip and the sleeve, is it possible that way? but then the switch will actually bypass that resistance, which is ok to engage the tap tempo function.

Looking at your schematics, I have made some revisions but I'm not sure if it is correct.

http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r445/jmwreck/ZOOMG3EXPampTAP.png

krueger
03-26-2013, 11:50 PM
To be honest I have no clue on how to construct electronic schematics. I found the symbols for potentiometer and momentary switch and tried to express how the trs-plug that is going in to the G3 behaves. I measured this with a regular multimeter.

I use a normal trs splitter cable and two trs-cables. The trs cable connecting the pedal is unmodified. The pedal has a trs connector and has 90kOhm constant resistance between tip and sleeve and a variable resistance up to 90kOhm between ring and sleeve. The trs cable connecting the footswitch has been modified by cutting the connection to the ring.

That's it really, a stock Zoom FP02 pedal, a stock Boss FS-5U (set to normally open), a stock trs splitter, one stock trs cable to the pedal and one modified trs cable to the footswitch. Hook it all up and enjoy.

ashbass
05-13-2013, 09:21 AM
That's it really, a stock Zoom FP02 pedal, a stock Boss FS-5U (set to normally open), a stock trs splitter, one stock trs cable to the pedal and one modified trs cable to the footswitch. Hook it all up and enjoy.

In this final configuration does the exp pedal still need to be full heel down or full toe down for the foot switch to work?

krueger
05-14-2013, 11:05 AM
In this final configuration does the exp pedal still need to be full heel down or full toe down for the foot switch to work?

Yes, in between does not work.

Sirocco
05-14-2013, 03:33 PM
Any chance this might work on a zoom G5?

ashbass
05-14-2013, 04:55 PM
Any chance this might work on a zoom G5?

It worked on mine.

http://ashbass.com/AshBassGuitar/Zoom/Yadapter.html

isoneedacoffee
05-24-2013, 07:54 AM
I now have the Zoom FP02 and a Boss FS5U connected via a stereo (TRS) cable splitter. Both the footswitch and the expression pedal are connected via stereo cables. The only modification made is that I snipped the wire of the ring on the cable connecting the Boss. The Boss has switchable polarity, it needs to be normally open.

Hi Kreuger: I am new to the forum, and love this taptempo + expression option for the G3. My understanding is that the Zoom FS01 (http://www.amazon.com/Zoom-ZOO-FS01-Footswitch/dp/B000NAXDH4) (recommended for the G3) is unlatched and normally closed.

Why in this scenario do you say the footswitch needs to be normally open?

I would like the tap tempo to work when I push down on the switch, not as it rises up after the push. I'm not sure if I have a choice (after splitting the G3's output), but if so, what should I get: normally open or closed?

Sorry, I am just very confused!

Thanks!

krueger
05-26-2013, 11:12 AM
I got a switch Boss FS5U which can do both, mainly because I want to be able to use it with other gear also. I would recommend keeping your options open with a more general footswitch

isoneedacoffee
05-27-2013, 06:59 PM
Thanks. That helps!

isoneedacoffee
05-28-2013, 08:26 PM
I'm debating between getting the G3 and using this mod, or just getting a G3X.

It would seem that the only advantage of the G3 mod over the G3X would be having a separate expression pedal not attached to the unit, so I could get any that I want. Yet, my main worry is that with this mod I would have to pay attention to the position of the expression pedal (closed/open) if I want to engage the tap tempo, which is rather distracting

The G3X can do both (tap and expression), seemlessly, at the same time with the included expression and an external footswitch. The only thing keeping me from going with the G3X is its size/portabaility. I would like to take it back and forth with me from rehearsals to my home. I am also unsure about the durability of the pedal on the G3X.

I definitely will want to use both an expression pedal and a footswitch. Should I go with the G3 or G3X?

RLD
05-28-2013, 08:31 PM
I have the G3X.
Its built like a tank so have no worries about the pedal durability.