PDA

View Full Version : My Local UPS Store Will NOT ship a tube amp

geetarplayer
04-03-2012, 12:59 PM
Just found that out. It's not UPS policy... just this store's decision. They say they've had too many claims.

Gtrmike54
04-03-2012, 01:03 PM
I've shipped a number from here without a problem. I think they are independent franchises-maybe you need a new UPS store.

Gee, maybe if their service didn't suck so bad, they wouldn't have so many claims. Wow, what a concept!

cyclops620
04-03-2012, 01:03 PM
I believe it. I know I had a few claims opened at mine.

Rambergwest
04-03-2012, 01:45 PM
Take the tubes out (which you should do anyway) and then its not lying to say its solid state. Ship the tubes heavily wrapped and labeled by position (V1, V2 etc) via USPS and put insurance on them. Should be fine and get you were you want to be if you notify the recipient of the reassembly required.

EricPeterson
04-03-2012, 01:47 PM
Take the tubes out (which you should do anyway) and then its not lying to say its solid state. Ship the tubes heavily wrapped and labeled by position (V1, V2 etc) via USPS and put insurance on them. Should be fine and get you were you want to be if you notify the recipient of the reassembly required.

Why not just Ship the whole Amp USPS? I have had no issues shipping tube amps with them.

8len8
04-03-2012, 01:48 PM
I had a similar experience with a FedEx store wanting me to double pack my amplifier. It was twice the amount of packing compared to normal FedEx policy, but the store had its own rediculous policy.

Jon C
04-03-2012, 01:51 PM
I generally double box any amp I care about anyway, or close to it.

3th3r
04-03-2012, 01:52 PM
If you can, ship your amp directly from a UPS station, not from an independently-owned-and-operated UPS Store.

Or use the Post Office. I also have never had any problems with them.

dividedsky
04-03-2012, 02:12 PM
Or find one that actually knows how to do their job.

LowWatt
04-03-2012, 02:16 PM
Just found that out. It's not UPS policy... just this store's decision. They say they've had too many claims.

Well that makes sense. I've seen how UPS Stores often pack tube amps. The person buying your amp may have just dodged a bullet.

ronmail65
04-03-2012, 02:19 PM
It's just as well. I've had a few claims / problems with UPS - never an issue with FEDEX. Go with FEDEX.

UncleLarry
04-03-2012, 02:33 PM
Why not just Ship the whole Amp USPS? I have had no issues shipping tube amps with them.

USPS is OK as long as the entire package weighs less than 70lbs and/or has a circumference of less than 108 inches.

jimmyohio75
04-03-2012, 03:25 PM
It's just as well. I've had a few claims / problems with UPS - never an issue with FEDEX. Go with FEDEX.
Agreed......FedEx is much more consistent when moving fragile stuff. UPS damages almost 50% of fragile items. At least that has been my experience.

b3john
04-03-2012, 03:30 PM
If you can, ship your amp directly from a UPS station, not from an independently-owned-and-operated UPS Store.
This. Get a shipper account, package it yourself, print your label, slap it on the box, then either drop it off at the local primary UPS facility or have the brown truck pick it up. They'll bill you. Easy, peasy.

Or use the Post Office. I also have never had any problems with them.
I've not been so lucky, unfortunately.

nolenuttt
04-03-2012, 09:00 PM

Consider yourself lucky-

crunchman
04-03-2012, 09:19 PM
usps is cheaper anyway.I've probably shipped 100 amps over the years, you need
to pack them properly ! Don't half-ass it !!

bish0p34
04-03-2012, 10:08 PM
I've shipped a number from here without a problem. I think they are independent franchises-maybe you need a new UPS store.

Gee, maybe if their service didn't suck so bad, they wouldn't have so many claims. Wow, what a concept!

Wow...Oops has bad service:eeks ?

ANALOG GUY
04-03-2012, 11:02 PM
I've shipped large packages with Greyhound.

Never had a problem, 40% less than OOPS

Scott L
04-03-2012, 11:06 PM
Pack it properly, make the shipping label on UPS.com and insure for the right amount. It will be cheaper than at the store by a long shot. The stores charge at a " retail service" level. Doing on line is a lot cheaper. When done, drop it off at the store, they get $1 for accepting and receipting the box.

crunchman
04-04-2012, 08:36 AM
I've shipped large packages with Greyhound.

Never had a problem, 40% less than OOPS

Never Knew !!

teleking36
04-04-2012, 08:46 AM
It's ok because UPS sucks. Go to Fedex or USPS. You'll be much happier with the service. Prices are better, packages arrive quicker. I haven't used UPS in years.

Tuberattler
04-04-2012, 08:54 AM
Like they'd know the difference in tube and solid state...

dragonfly66
04-23-2012, 04:34 PM
Pack you amp properly and it will make it just fine.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=288817

Blue Strat
04-23-2012, 04:36 PM
I generally double box any amp I care about anyway, or close to it.

That's what should always be done. Most of the horror stories, and there are many right here, aren't about double boxed amps.

rsm
04-23-2012, 07:53 PM
Pack it properly, make the shipping label on UPS.com and insure for the right amount. It will be cheaper than at the store by a long shot. The stores charge at a " retail service" level. Doing on line is a lot cheaper. When done, drop it off at the store, they get $1 for accepting and receipting the box.

This is what I do.

And I've kept the boxes that amps have been shipped to me in (most have been serviceable), and I reuse them to ship the amps if I sell them. so far so good (as I knock on wood).

gtrmaker
04-23-2012, 07:58 PM
I'd like to know what percentage of the claims were bogus claims made by ebay buyers wanting to get some money back. Maybe it's gotten so ridiculous the shippers are fed up.

It's actually pretty hard to collect a claim against UPS. I tired it once years ago and have never shipped UPS since.

stratplayer80
04-23-2012, 08:39 PM
My wife and I own a UPS Store and I have shipped many tube amps and never have had one come back. That being said I know what it takes to properly package one. There are many out there who don't. Each individual store can make the policy on what they are willing to ship. At our store we no longer do international. We've been burned way too many times.

LJOHNS
04-23-2012, 09:12 PM
UPS broke a nice tube amp that I shipped last week. Filling my first claim asap. I have never had a problem until this one. I have always worried about shipping fragile items. Never again.

Endr_rpm
04-23-2012, 09:47 PM
I had a UPS guy tell me stuff should be packed well enough to survive being dropped 4 feet. wtf

They're not kidding. I shipped an Ampeg B15N, early 70s model, to a buddy in Chicago who had purchased it locally. Followed my standard procedure- removed tubes and packed with a schematic to put them back where they came from, each tube wrapped in small bubbble bubble wrap, all inside a cigar box. Head and cab each got 2 layers of large bubble bubble wrap, inside what amounted to a cocoon of packing tape. Double boxed.

Feeling pretty good about this, I took it to the UPS store. Signed it over, and the FIRST EFFING THING the chick behind the counter did was TOSS it about 4-5 feet onto the floor. I made a comment like "That's a 40 year old amp, you insensitive cud chewer!!" To which she replied "Well, maybe if you packed it better, you wouldn't be worried".

My comment above was my hyperbolic recollection. Her words are forever etched into my brain. Last time I will ship anything with them.

Happily, amp arrived in perfect condition and rocks the Chicago nightlife mightily.

fretshredder
04-24-2012, 06:09 AM
Signed it over, and the FIRST EFFING THING the chick behind the counter did was TOSS it about 4-5 feet onto the floor. I made a comment like "That's a 40 year old amp, you insensitive cud chewer!!" To which she replied "Well, maybe if you packed it better, you wouldn't be worried".

I always assume they will all just toss it around .. even if the store handles it well, at some point, it IS going to get tossed to the back of a van. Guaranteed.

The trick is to always pack with "crumple zones" .. just like they build into cars. I always try an make sure there is a minimum of 1.5" of foam or similar between the item and the outside world. Packaging from PC's is good, theres often and "inner box" supported on foam corners or something similar.

So yeah, I know they shouldnt toss it, but, somewhere enroute, they will, and that applies to ALL carriers.

Worst possible thing to ship in is a flight case ... they ALWAYS get tossed simply because they look indestructable ... the case survives, the item insdie usually loks OK, but he PCB is usually cracked and the heavy components snapped off.

Rockerduck
04-24-2012, 07:32 AM
I've shipped in Flight cases,,packed in a box. Flight cases save the amp as I've shipped on airlines too,,but encase it in a box with wrapping. All handlers will instinctively grab the handles and sling. Print your shipping label online and drop it off at a UPS. I had a UPS tell me I couldn't ship a box wrapped in brown paper and they would have to re wrap it. I said "fine" and left,looking at the shock on their face, they thought they were going to re wrap it. I went to another UPS and they took it.

dave12
04-24-2012, 08:51 AM
I realize we all care deeply about our amps and want them handled with care, but the reality is that if you're not shipping with the assumption that they (being any shipper, not just UPS) are going to treat your package like a piece of garbage at some point, then you're just asking for a problem.

Packages sent across the country touch too many hands for there to be a high level of accountability for which employee breaks a package (to some extent). I frequently ship and receive from all carriers, and I've received rough-looking packages from all 3 of the main carriers, so I assume that's how they handle my packages that I send.

Doesn't make it right, but it's just reality.

ian c
04-24-2012, 10:16 AM
My wife and I own a UPS Store and I have shipped many tube amps and never have had one come back. That being said I know what it takes to properly package one. There are many out there who don't. Each individual store can make the policy on what they are willing to ship. At our store we no longer do international. We've been burned way too many times.

its not so much the guys at the stores , or the sign above the door , but the guys out delivering .
ive seen footage similar to this on good day l.a.
and youtube has plenty of videos ....

zWMVpjxYJgg
Z1mhz1-biEY&feature=related
Qw-zxJI1YOo&feature=related

i once looked out of the window on a plane at dublin airport as the guys where carefully(ish) placing the cases onto the conveyor that took them into the hold .
i was thinking the guys out of sight in the plane would be throwing them everywhere to get loaded up on time .
i then watched as my guitar case was picked up and threw strait into the plane !!
they didnt even bother with the conveyor , just launched it :D

Blue Strat
04-24-2012, 10:19 AM
I don't expect them to babysit the thing, but they could use a little common sense. They ARE in the shipping business.

Yes, but it's become evident by now what the realities are. So pack everything to withstand a nuclear attack and you've done all you can do.:)

stephenyi
04-24-2012, 10:23 AM
Not sure if this is just coincidence but UPS just delivered my Morgan amp (which was shipped from a UPS Store) yesterday in this condition:

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb198/stephenyi/dag15/photo3.jpg

The seller has filed a UPS insurance claim and we are awaiting their response.

Blue Strat
04-24-2012, 10:26 AM
Not sure if this is just coincidence but UPS just delivered my Morgan amp yesterday in this condition:

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb198/stephenyi/dag15/photo3.jpg

So, for educational purposes, please describe, in detail, how it was packed?

stephenyi
04-24-2012, 10:31 AM
So, for educational purposes, please describe, in detail, how it was packed?

It was well-packed. From the damage, it looks like the amp took a very hard fall in order for the chassis to get separated from the amp cabinet.

Blue Strat
04-24-2012, 10:35 AM
It was well-packed. From the damage, it looks like the amp took a very hard fall in order for the chassis to get separated from the amp cabinet.

Would you mind describing how it was packed so that others might avoid damaged amps in the future?

78deluxe
04-24-2012, 10:40 AM

The thing is.....that UPS store has to rely on UPS to carefully ship that amp.

I don't blame them for not trusting UPS. :munch

ian c
04-24-2012, 10:41 AM
did it bust any joints on the actual cab ??
it looks damage free in the pic ...

jmontgomery
04-24-2012, 10:42 AM
Not sure if this is just coincidence but UPS just delivered my Morgan amp (which was shipped from a UPS Store) yesterday in this condition:

It's been my experience UPSs standard answer is the packaging didn't meet their standards and they're not paying. Good luck.

rick13
04-24-2012, 10:54 AM
I had a UPS guy tell me stuff should be packed well enough to survive being dropped 4 feet. wtf

Actually dropped off the back of the truck on the loading dock is closer to the truth. You have to pack as if your life depended on it. I always double box and use rigid foam to buffer the walls of the box. I can't tell you how many times I have seemn amps where it has obviously been dropped hard enough to tweak the base of the transformers a bit. You can usually straighten them back up with slight pressure. Just understand that with any shipping, the box is going to be dropped and jolted. Fragile means "kick me".
Rick

Blue Strat
04-24-2012, 10:57 AM
UPS have conveyors in their facilities that can be as high as 10s of feet. Stuff falls off them. Plan accordingly.

dspellman
04-24-2012, 11:11 AM
Here's the main problem with tube amps; they have very heavy transformers, and can suffer internal damage (I've seen chassis bend, chassis torn out of cabinets, transformers torn off of chassis, etc.) even if double-boxed and even if the outside of the box shows no damage whatsoever. Think of an egg inside a tin can. Put one inside, give it a good shake. Tin can remains the same, egg is scrambled. Best packing technique I've seen had stiff cardboard or stiff foam between the transformers and the cabinet, so that those transformers could NOT MOVE. After that, pull the tubes and bubble wrap them separately and you should be good.

And finally, if you have a brain in your head <G>, you will purchase and use impact indicators on the outside of the package, for both guitars AND amps. http://shockwatch.com.au/shipping_and_handling_monitors/impact_indicators/impact_indicators.htm
http://www.lamerholm.com/images/lamerholm-product-images/shockwatch.jpg

These not only notify the UPS personnel that they're essentially being monitored for good handling practices (which helps reduce the chance that the things will be tossed), but it also provides an obvious indication to UPS (and to da judge) that the package was mishandled even if it looks pristine on the outside.

stratotastic
04-24-2012, 11:47 AM
Like they'd know the difference in tube and solid state...

Maybe not, but they'll find out you lied to them when you submit your claim.

RAILhead
04-24-2012, 12:31 PM
I've considered using ShockWatch tags before, but I've never been able to determine if they would actually be beneficial in a claim. Just because they should be, that doesn't mean a shipping company is liable or bound to the reults automatically. I wonder what UPS and FedEx say about using them?

Here's the main problem with tube amps; they have very heavy transformers, and can suffer internal damage (I've seen chassis bend, chassis torn out of cabinets, transformers torn off of chassis, etc.) even if double-boxed and even if the outside of the box shows no damage whatsoever. Think of an egg inside a tin can. Put one inside, give it a good shake. Tin can remains the same, egg is scrambled. Best packing technique I've seen had stiff cardboard or stiff foam between the transformers and the cabinet, so that those transformers could NOT MOVE. After that, pull the tubes and bubble wrap them separately and you should be good.

And finally, if you have a brain in your head <G>, you will purchase and use impact indicators on the outside of the package, for both guitars AND amps. http://shockwatch.com.au/shipping_and_handling_monitors/impact_indicators/impact_indicators.htm

These not only notify the UPS personnel that they're essentially being monitored for good handling practices (which helps reduce the chance that the things will be tossed), but it also provides an obvious indication to UPS (and to da judge) that the package was mishandled even if it looks pristine on the outside.

ian c
04-24-2012, 12:41 PM
They're used on all the deliveries where I work.
The thing is, you can check for damage before you sign and unwrap it .....

slider313
04-24-2012, 12:41 PM
Screw the UPS store and do it yourself. Get an amp box from Smash or GC with foam corners; top and bottom, chock anything that may move in transit and insulate the interior with large bubble. Double box that in a slightly larger box with insulation. Take digital pics of each step. Insure the box. If there's damage and the claim is denied, file with small claims court. Save those digital pictures!

stephenyi
04-24-2012, 01:58 PM
UPS have conveyors in their facilities that can be as high as 10s of feet. Stuff falls off them. Plan accordingly.

That's my best guess as to how this happened. UPS has asked for additional pictures of the packaging and damaged amp, so I can share some more pictures tonight.

I'm hopeful that UPS will take responsibility since it was actually shipped from their store.

Blue Strat
04-24-2012, 02:07 PM
That's my best guess as to how this happened. UPS has asked for additional pictures of the packaging and damaged amp, so I can share some more pictures tonight.

I'm hopeful that UPS will take responsibility since it was actually shipped from their store.

You would think so, but "we've" been wrong before. Even so, it doesn't ease the pain of a destroyed amp.

There have been numerous reports of UPS stores not packing amps correctly. Maybe this was the case with the OP's store and now they've had numerous claims.

You either have to instruct them on how to do it or do it yourself and make it bombproof.

Blues Power
04-24-2012, 02:10 PM
ship it yourself. I cant understand why folks pay and pay for something that can be done by themselves.

how hard is it to bubble wrap the crap out of something fill it with peanuts and box it.
youll save a bundle too. and double box it of you want

LJOHNS
04-24-2012, 02:14 PM
Those Shock-Watch tags look like a very good idea! and never use UPS...

b3john
04-24-2012, 02:27 PM
how hard is it to bubble wrap the crap out of something fill it with peanuts and box it.
If you're going to pack with styrofoam peanuts, at least bundle them in small plastic bags (like you get at many grocery stores). I hate opening a package only to have static-charged plastic peanuts go everywhere.

Trout
04-24-2012, 02:27 PM

I used to go that route regularly, in fact, I had several custom plywood crates made to ship heavy over sized amps.

I routed a pocket for the shock indicators and flush mounted them.
It was REAL obvious that UPS ripped them off the crate, you could see the spots where the screw driver dug them out of the plywood.

I put one on the inside of a crate, that was the only one of 6 that arrived.

LowWatt
04-24-2012, 04:00 PM
I used to go that route regularly, in fact, I had several custom plywood crates made to ship heavy over sized amps.

I routed a pocket for the shock indicators and flush mounted them.
It was REAL obvious that UPS ripped them off the crate, you could see the spots where the screw driver dug them out of the plywood.

I put one on the inside of a crate, that was the only one of 6 that arrived.

Was it triggered?

supergenius365
04-24-2012, 05:44 PM
The only two amps I have ever received damaged were delivered by UPS. Didn't want to go through hassle of a claim. Fixed one out of my pocket and got the seller to pay to fix the second.

Sparky6string
04-24-2012, 06:37 PM
I have good experience with USPS. I have a guitar delivered slightly damaged so I took pics and filed a report asking for a measley $20 so that I could short cut the repair and do some myself. I didn't expect them to even honor that, but they asked for more info then sent me about $100. Hope I never have to do that again but they made it easy.

Trout
04-24-2012, 07:52 PM
Was it triggered?

Nope, it was not tripped, but it was a 25g Drop N tell.
http://www.uline.com/BL_1051/Drop-N-Tell

The crate was Pine & Ply with 2" of carpet foam padding as a liner.
Those have never failed to get goods to people though they cost ALOT to ship that way.
I used one to ship a Vintage Lead 100 to Japan like that.

I was just PO'd when they took the time to take them off of the box when mounted externally.

jimmyohio75
04-24-2012, 08:03 PM
UPS is the absolute worst......If I am interested in buying a guitar or amp I first ask the buyer how he plans to ship it to me. If he says UPS I tell him that I will not buy the item if he uses UPS. I will even pay OVER the selling price in order to get the seller to use FedEx instead of UPS. I have had too much gear destroyed by UPS. THEY SUCK!!!!!!!

b3john
04-24-2012, 09:22 PM
The only two amps I have ever received damaged were delivered by UPS. Didn't want to go through hassle of a claim. Fixed one out of my pocket and got the seller to pay to fix the second.

You made a seller foot the bill to fix an amp damaged by UPS? Because you didn't want to file a claim? Really?

ryhlick
04-24-2012, 09:23 PM
The bottom line is, if it is packed properly it will survive most situations. Most damaged items are not packed well enough. Not to stir a hornets nest, but I have shipped over 75 amps and a dozen guitars with no damage. Sometimes I lose my shorts on shipping, but at least they arrive in good shape.

Blue Strat
04-24-2012, 10:23 PM
You made a seller foot the bill to fix an amp damaged by UPS? Because you didn't want to file a claim? Really?

Can't speak for your poster but the UPS rule is the SHIPPER files the claim, not the recipient.

Blues Power
04-25-2012, 08:40 AM
If you're going to pack with styrofoam peanuts, at least bundle them in small plastic bags (like you get at many grocery stores). I hate opening a package only to have static-charged plastic peanuts go everywhere.

i guess thats a good idea but I aint the one thats going to un pack it so who cares what flies around the other guys apt so long as the amp survives the trip..

soundchaser59
04-25-2012, 08:49 AM

THIS!

"UPS STORE" and "UPS" are definitely NOT the same thing. ALWAYS go to the official UPS customer service counter to ship your stuff. Wait til you try to collect on an insurance claim from that "Store"....... good luck with that! UPS won't have anything to do with it.

b3john
04-25-2012, 04:19 PM
i guess thats a good idea but I aint the one thats going to un pack it so who cares what flies around the other guys apt so long as the amp survives the trip..

Plastic grocery store sacks with 30-50 styrofoam peanuts each will hold their shape during shipping a lot better than loose peanuts that will move around and settle.

bonchie123
04-25-2012, 04:41 PM
I prefer Fedex because I find their ground service is usually faster and they hit their estimates.

I also find their tracking more accurate. Recently, I had an amp delivered by UPS and the tracking did not update until it hit my front door.

I also find Fedex significantly cheaper where I'm at.

soundchaser59
04-25-2012, 10:47 PM
.....but I aint the one thats going to un pack it so who cares what flies around the other guys apt so long as the amp survives the trip..

Sorry, this is just plain thoughtless and self centered. You don't have to care about peanuts going all over the other guy's livng room if you don't want to, but you should care about all the places inside the amp where those peanut pieces will go. Flame away, I don't mind, but frankly this attitude sucks.

SonicBoom
04-27-2012, 11:13 PM
OP is lucky. They would only damage it or lose it anyway.

robertkoa
04-28-2012, 12:07 PM
Can you get around this by removing all the Tubes and sending them separately ?

PIA I know but at least they might do it that way..........

soundchaser59
04-29-2012, 01:30 PM
The bottom line is, if it is packed properly it will survive most situations.

Correct. Which is why, if you want UPS to be responsible for the item, you let them pack it.

If there is a claim, first question will be was it packed by UPS or by the customer?

If you pay up front to let them pack it, and insure it adequately, then there is nothing they can do but take the blame if it's damaged. They might ask you to prove its value, especially if you tell them it's worth $2000 bucks.

Retired_Colonel
08-22-2012, 03:09 PM
I agree...I do this for all my shipments. As an aside, I have received very nice amps directly from dealers that use manufacturer original packaging...and always surprised at how minimally protected they were.

Screw the UPS store and do it yourself. Get an amp box from Smash or GC with foam corners; top and bottom, chock anything that may move in transit and insulate the interior with large bubble. Double box that in a slightly larger box with insulation. Take digital pics of each step. Insure the box. If there's damage and the claim is denied, file with small claims court. Save those digital pictures!

Retired_Colonel
08-22-2012, 03:12 PM
Using myself as a sample size = '1', items I have received thru FedEx generally arrive in better shape than those received thru UPS. Maybe just me, though. And FedEx will deliver on Saturday!!

I prefer Fedex because I find their ground service is usually faster and they hit their estimates.

I also find their tracking more accurate. Recently, I had an amp delivered by UPS and the tracking did not update until it hit my front door.

I also find Fedex significantly cheaper where I'm at.