PDA

View Full Version : Good Acoustic Guitar in the $500 range

DylanGuitar
04-05-2012, 10:50 AM
Hi everyone. Sorry if this has been covered ad-nauseum.
I'm looking for a guitar recommendation for a student of mine. She is somewhat of a beginner and her price limit is around $500.

It's easy enough to hop over to guitar center and try the stuff they have, but there are so many new brands of guitars I was wondering if there were any superior values out there that might not be on the radar so to speak.

Thanks for any and all recommendations!

Dylan Schiavone

jacoblee83
04-05-2012, 11:00 AM
Breedlove has some guitars in that range that aren't too bad. I also like some Seagulls.

jeff25
04-05-2012, 06:53 PM
+1 on Breedlove. On a budget, I also like the new Washburn series and the Morgan Monroe guitars. They both have pretty nice ones in the $300-$400 range.

mgarrison99
04-05-2012, 07:08 PM
Art & Lutherie Cedar for $315 (my favorite, especially if you upgrade to the one with the built in preamp)
http://www.brindleysmusic.com/p-951-art-amp-lutherie-014309-cedar-antique-burst-dreadnaught-acoustic-guitar.aspx

Walden D550 for $300
http://holeinthewood.com/acoustic-guitars/dreadnought/walden-guitars-d550-natura-series-dreadnought-guitar

Yamaha makes a solid top called the FG700S for $200
http://www.buy.com/pr/product.aspx?sku=206721221&sellerid=31397457

I also like Washburns, but haven't really fallen for the D10S or D12S

Cream
04-05-2012, 07:34 PM
Recording King is another brand to check out. Solid woods at low prices.

d3nzi0
04-05-2012, 07:40 PM
I believe any acoustic with a solid top and preferably sides too will be a good choice so if you do decide to go to GC to try guitars out look for those first and you won't go wrong, at any price point.

Brand-wise I find the following good value:

yamaha
cort
ibanez
epiphone

Jirud
04-06-2012, 11:02 PM
Here is 10 of the best greatest acoustic electric guitars under $500 for everyone who are looking for a top acoustic electric guitar under $500.

Cordoba C5-CE Acoustic Electric Classical Guitar
Price: $399.99 & ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping.
Cordoba C5-CE Acoustic/Electric nylon string guitar is the perfect guitar! The finish of C5-CE is beautiful. Solid Cedar top having Mahogany back/sides and soft cutaway. Fishman Isys Plus Pickup. It seems along with sounds wonderful. The particular Fishman on-board tuner is effective too. Contains Cordoba gig case. 25.6 inches scale length, 1.96 inches nut width.

Epiphone PR-4E Acoustic-Electric Guitar Player Pack
Price: $199.00 & ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping.
The Epiphone PR-5E has performed stages and studios for many years. Today, its latest sibling, the real PR-4E, comes specifically within this value-packed acoustic/electric player pack. Associated with a Studio-10 acoustic amplifier with balanced in addition to line inputs (with regard to adding a mike) and Chorus, it offers a gig case, strap, cord, tuner, picks and training DVD. All you need to bring you actively playing out stay.

Fender T-BUCKET-300CE Dreadnought Acoustic-Electric Guitar
Price: $188.12 & ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping.
Jasmine ES33C includes mini jumbos, dreadnoughts, 12-strings, cutaways and acoustic/electrics by having popular body styles. Excellent for beginner/intermediate guitar that has an excellent tone. Only plugged ES33C into an amp once so far also it sounds excellent. Jasmine ES33C is a great value for the affordable price.

Takamine G Series EG340SC Dreadnought Acoustic Electric Guitar, Natural
Price: $342.02 & ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping.
Takamine EG340SC dreadnought has a solid spruce top for energetic range and a rich harmonic content. Mahogany back and sides increase resonance. High gloss finish offers longevity and long-lasting elegance. Contains the well-known Takamine under saddle pickup and TP4T preamp with 3-band EQ and integrated tuner.

Seagull Entourage Rustic CW QIT Acoustic-Electric Guitar Rustic
Price: $499.00 & ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping.
The Seagull Entourage Rustic guitar provides an outstanding worth for guitar players from beginner level to pro level. This guitar perfectly made Canadian-made acoustic-electric guitar features select pressure-tested solid cedar tops, wild cherry back and sides, cream double binding and a rustic burst custom polished finish.

Jasmine by Takamine ES33C Acoustic Guitar Pack
Price: $188.12 & ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping.
Jasmine ES33C includes mini jumbos, dreadnoughts, 12-strings, cutaways and acoustic/electrics by having popular body styles. Excellent for beginner/intermediate guitar that has an excellent tone. Only plugged ES33C into an amp once so far also it sounds excellent. Jasmine ES33C is a great value for the affordable price.

Luna Oracle Acoustic-Electric Guitar, Crane
Price: $349.00 & ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping.
Luna’s “Crane”, an addition to the Oracle Series, can take guitar players to new experience of both visual and performing excitement. There are some more items which makes this outstanding from other guitars in the same class, which includes a simple to use built-in tuning meter, being rewired with an amp connection, and the decorative laser etched details

Yamaha APX500 Acoustic Electric Guitar, Oriental Blue Burst
Price: $299.99 & ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping.
Yamaha APX500 places concentrate on playability magnificent thin profile which fits the body of guitarists. In terms of cosmetics, Yamaha APX500 includes a wonderful mother-of-pearl sound hole ring inlay, white fingerboard binding, white/black body binding, mother-of-pearl APX & Yamaha headstock logos and position markers. Yamaha APX500 is available in 5 wonderful color variations.

Jasmine by Takamine ES31C Acoustic Electric Guitar
Price: $159.95 & ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping.
The Takamine ES31C Jasmine Cutaway is the greatest sound in this price! Outstanding high quality make, comfortable along with a wonderful sounding acoustic electric guitar. The ES31C Jasmine is really a high-value Dreadnought which has a Nato body, impressive gloss finish, Spruce top and Rosewood fingerboard.

Ovation Celebrity CC28 Acoustic-electric Guitar, Black
Price: $316.17 & ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping.
The center soundhole of Ovation Celebrity CC28 gives a classic appearance, and it is slim neck comes with an electric-style profile; 20 hand-finished nickel-silver fret, and low factory-set action. A cutaway insures quick access for the entire fretboard. The op-4bt preamp gives guitarists with adaptable tone manage in different overall performance setting.

You can see and listen to the guitar sound examples at http://acousticelectricguitarz.com/10-best-acoustic-electric-guitars-under-500/

That's a bunch of good options for you. Hope it helps. Good luck!

Lapo
04-07-2012, 03:39 PM
Im surprised no ones mentioned the Bluridge BR 60. It sounds amazing. It sounded better to me than a 1000 dollar Martin id just played( Which i thought was a good guitar for 1000) Its a step up from the Breedloves, and Recording Kings Ive played. Get a newer one, ive heard Blueridge is making better guitars these days.

jo2012
04-07-2012, 07:19 PM
Any of the Martn X series guitars. I have a 000X1AE and it's amazing. Really clear pickup system.

Blazes
04-07-2012, 07:23 PM
Seagull Entourage Rustic + 10 ...

Stratty
04-08-2012, 05:43 PM
I played a Parkwood today.
http://www.parkwoodguitars.com/
I think it was PW320M. It played really well and felt really nice compared to some of the other choices in the price range. I'm comparing it to a couple Seagull's and A&L's that were there too.

Overall, I was pretty impressed by what it was: solid, felt great, sounded really crisp, not muddy at all like other lower-range guitars.

Wolf_Daddy
04-08-2012, 05:53 PM
For around $500, I've played nothing that compares to my Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-500M. All the Masterbilts are a good bang for the buck IMO.

I'll put it this way, I was not in the market for an acoustic when I bought mine. I walked into a local shop and out of sheer curiosity picked up a bunch of acoustics. As soon as I strummed a G chord on the Epi, I had to have it. The Masterbilts, IMO of course, are far better than the normal Epiphone range. Every player who has picked it up has commented on how much they like the guitar.

Pietro
04-08-2012, 05:53 PM
In that range, I'd buy Seagull. I know from personal experience that they last a long time, sound great, play good... made in North America, too!

googoobaby
04-08-2012, 06:12 PM
Yamaha FG720s or FG730s are very nice for the money.

Krayon
04-08-2012, 06:15 PM
In that range, I'd buy Seagull. I know from personal experience that they last a long time, sound great, play good... made in North America, too!

this

capos
04-08-2012, 07:01 PM
+1 the Ovation CC28. The body takes sometime to get a hold to (not everyone can get use to the fat curvy bowl immediately) but it is a very nice guitar. The electronic is pretty decent although it has this distinct quacky UTS sound to it. Neck is very comfortable. I'd recommend getting a stand because this thing cannot stand by the wall by itself.

trwigg
04-12-2012, 06:40 AM
Look for a Pre Fender Tacoma. Of course it will be used but you should be able to get one in that price range. I bought a PR18 LTD for $499. I can vouch for the "P" (parlor) style in Rosewood or Mahogany both woods are great on these guitars. Since Fender bought them I wouldn't one new, totally different guitars now. Good luck.

04-12-2012, 07:53 AM
Eastman, blueridge and Recording King have some great values.

pjblues
04-12-2012, 06:34 PM
Im surprised no ones mentioned the Bluridge BR 60. It sounds amazing. It sounded better to me than a 1000 dollar Martin id just played( Which i thought was a good guitar for 1000) Its a step up from the Breedloves, and Recording Kings Ive played. Get a newer one, ive heard Blueridge is making better guitars these days.

I'd 2nd this. I was looking for a Martin & played a D1GT that I really liked. After trying a few other guitars I picked up a BR-60. Very loud, balanced & alive sounding. I'd never played a BR before, but was very surprised.

Jazzydave
04-12-2012, 08:14 PM
Epiphones have really been impressing me over the last few years in that range. There have been a few that I've picked up and was pleasantly surprised to hear them singing back to me.

I'd highly suggest looking for used instruments in this price range...otherwise, you'll lose some serious cash as you walk out the door with that shiny new one.

sjaustin
04-12-2012, 08:43 PM
A used one.

TNO
04-12-2012, 08:49 PM
Entourage Rustic Mini Jumbo.

Ben Furman
05-14-2012, 08:56 PM
I bought a used Seagull Artist Portrait (spruce/mahogany) CW with QII electronics for just over $500. Nice guitar.

AD_
05-14-2012, 09:02 PM
Recording King is another brand to check out. Solid woods at low prices.
Came here to say just this. My local shop carries quite a few and they look and sound nice. Solid wood, not laminate, and they sound and play good.

K.E.P.
05-14-2012, 09:48 PM
Eastman, blueridge and Recording King have some great values.

These, plus Breedlove, or seagull. Buy used if possible.

DylanGuitar
05-14-2012, 10:54 PM
Thanks to so many great and detailed replies. I will probably go with one of the ones listed that CG carries, so I can actually play before I recommend my student buys it.

Thanks again everyone. Much appreciated!!

Dylan Schiavone

wolfpack
05-15-2012, 11:56 AM
My Art & Lutherie Cedar is one of the best sounding & least expensive ($250) acoustics I have ever played.

BigPapiFan
05-15-2012, 03:13 PM
Buy used and save 40 - 50% maybe more. There should be many options in that price range, although you might have to be patient.

Pearl-o
05-16-2012, 05:53 AM
I saw a used Taylor 210 in the emporium the other day for $500. Also, in my neck of the woods, I've been seeing pre-Fender all solid wood Tacomas going for 500. If your student doesn't want to buy used, then I'm another supporting voice for Seagull. I consistently find them in pawn shops for between 200 and 250, and snatch them up.

guitararmy
05-16-2012, 07:08 AM
I've owned both the Yamaha FG730 and the Epiphone Masterbilt AJ500 in both mahogany and rosewood. They are both nice sounding guitars in that price range. GC should have these models.....

GuitarKidd
05-16-2012, 07:10 AM
American Musical Supply has this Ibanez on clearance.

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-IBA-A300E-LIST
http://www.americanmusical.com/ItemImages/Large/54514.jpg

It has some great options and features at $289.00 I am so wanting to pull the trigger on this, but I opted for a new Ovation CC24 Koa from AMS as they are very comfortable to play for me and I love their necks and they have a tendency to stand out in a mix IMO.

Features of the Ibanez

Ambiance Body with Cutaway
Quilted Maple Top
Large, resonant arched backs for tremendous acoustic sound
Fishman Sonicore Pickup
Fishman Aero Blend Preamp with built in Mic
Onboard tuner
Gold Grover Tuners
Balanced 1/4 inch and XLR Outputs

rogerramjett
05-16-2012, 09:25 AM
Even if you have to buy it online, NO ONE is making better guitars in that price range than Seagull. See if you can play one somewhere - it'll explain itself.

clydes001
05-16-2012, 09:56 AM
I love my Seagull S6. It has a great sound. You can get one without electronics (or with in some cases) for under 500. Having written that, I will tell you that I really enjoy my Epiphone Masterbilt. Brand new it may be closer to that 500 mark, but they can be really nice instruments. The Masterbilts are all solid wood, too.

You'll probably find it easier to get a solid Seagull (due to quality control, etc), but if you try them out, the Epiphones may really be a great catch.

fred_
05-16-2012, 10:25 AM
My daughter and I test played Epiphone Masterbilt, Fender, Breedlove (a $1400 model, just for grins and to compare) and a couple of other brands i can't remember (Art and Lutherie was one...) and walked out of our local music store with a Seagull s-6. $379 new.

By FAR the best sounding of the bunch. Yes, even better than the expensive Breedlove. She loves it.

Went to her guitar lesson the next week, and it turned out her guitar teacher plays the same model at his house.

royd
05-16-2012, 12:52 PM
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Taylor Big Baby. I have recommended them to a number of beginners as a serious guitar that sounds good, plays well, and will hold up as a good knock-a-round guitar when your student moves on to a better instrument.

Also the Silver Creek instruments available via Musicians Friend. They aren't the most consistent, but the good ones are very, very nice for the price and the bad ones are still a reasonable buy.

A few folk have mentioned acoustic/electrics. In this price range, I would not go that direction. Adding electronics only takes resources away from an already challenged budget.

Cream
05-16-2012, 01:16 PM
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Taylor Big Baby. I have recommended them to a number of beginners as a serious guitar that sounds good, plays well, and will hold up as a good knock-a-round guitar when your student moves on to a better instrument.IMO, these are in serious need of a setup (which beginners often know nothing about). I'm playing one right now and it's virtually unplayable for beginners. It's un-setup. I use it to build finger strength because it's long scale length and the action is very high.

royd
05-16-2012, 01:26 PM
IMO, these are in serious need of a setup (which beginners often know nothing about). I'm playing one right now and it's virtually unplayable for beginners. It's un-setup. I use it to build finger strength because it's long scale length and the action is very high.

I've never run into a Big Baby that had that problem... a couple of my students have had them.

and isn't the scale a normal 25.5 inches?

thirsty one
05-26-2012, 07:10 AM
I saw a used Taylor 210 in the emporium the other day for $500. Also, in my neck of the woods, I've been seeing pre-Fender all solid wood Tacomas going for 500. If your student doesn't want to buy used, then I'm another supporting voice for Seagull. I consistently find them in pawn shops for between 200 and 250, and snatch them up.

I've got my eye on that one. That may be about as much guitar as you could get for that much $. However, I have heard nothing but good things about the Epiphone Masterbuilds. I'm gonna have to check those out as well.

IMO, these are in serious need of a setup (which beginners often know nothing about). I'm playing one right now and it's virtually unplayable for beginners. It's un-setup. I use it to build finger strength because it's long scale length and the action is very high.

I got one for my daughter and it isn't playable for her as a beginner, but what a great sounding instrument. I plan on getting it set up, but I really need to learn to do that myself to save some $. I'm thinking about getting her a lighter gauge set of strings.

I've never run into a Big Baby that had that problem... a couple of my students have had them.

and isn't the scale a normal 25.5 inches?

That is what I thought as well.

I would like to know what one could get in the $500-$700 range, but that should be a separate thread.