PDA

View Full Version : Electro Harmonix

Papa Van Smack
04-14-2012, 09:24 AM
What is the general consensus on this company?

Are the Memory Man and Big Muff still getting a good following?

Are their any other pedals that are noteworthy?

AXXA
04-14-2012, 09:44 AM
EHX is awesome. I think most people probably like them, they have some unique and classic stuff available. Obviously, they are known for their 'quirky' effects, but many of them are quite useful.

The Deluxe Memory Man and Big Muff will likely always have a strong following. 2 classic effects, used by MANY people.

I love the Micro POG, POG2, Big Muff w/ Tone Wicker, Memory Boy, Cathedral and actually most of their pedals. And of course the good old LPB-1! The Ring Thing is quite impressive as well.

Jet Rink
04-14-2012, 09:55 AM
What is the general consensus on this company?

Are the Memory Man and Big Muff still getting a good following?

Are their any other pedals that are noteworthy?

Awesome pedals.

And you're serious, yes? You've not heard of EH? And no - I'm not being smart - it's just that they are fairly "mass produced" and have been around forever.

Big Muff is still my fave fuzz of all time. I will never get rid of that box. And mine's not an original one by any means. Such great value.

Stratoben127
04-14-2012, 10:03 AM
I've loved EHX since I got into pedals. My first pedal was a Big Muff that I sold to eventually get a Fuzzface but I may try one out again. I have a Stereo Electric Mistress and a Memory Boy on my board now. Those two pedals can get so lush and trippy it's unbelievable. I have the mistress set for a vibe sound and the delay set for a short, slightly modulating echo type of sound. They make great, simple pedals that are sure to give you a kick.

Papa Van Smack
04-14-2012, 10:04 AM
Awesome pedals.

And you're serious, yes? You've not heard of EH? And no - I'm not being smart - it's just that they are fairly "mass produced" and have been around forever.

Big Muff is still my fave fuzz of all time. I will never get rid of that box. And mine's not an original one by any means. Such great value.

Yes I'm being serious. I've known the name for a long time....but in my own journey through gear, I've never paid much attention. So I was more or less looking for feedback on here as opposed to reading ultimate-guitar.com reviews....which seem to be spammed by manufacturers.

JamesSGBrown
04-14-2012, 10:06 AM
They have some great stuff at great value. Stuff like the Freeze and Cathedral. Plus they have Effectology!!

OMTerria
04-14-2012, 10:09 AM
EHX is one of my favorite brands. I could be really happy rock an all Electro Harmonix board. I bet you could get some beautiful and CRAZY sounds out of it.

willc68
04-14-2012, 10:11 AM
EHX are one of the great pedal makers.
Lots of usable and fun stuff.
They seem a bit more willing to take chances than most.

04-14-2012, 10:19 AM
the stereo memory man w/hazarai is excellent. but they have a lot of nice stuff, afforable and interesting effects. just go to their web site or watch bill ruperts demos.

cmath
04-14-2012, 10:21 AM
EH is still popular.The muffs and the memory mans are great.
I like the small clones and the POG and I'm curious about the freeze.

How will this feedback be useful to you?

hanales
04-14-2012, 11:32 AM
Let's see.

Created some of the most iconic pedals in history? Check.

Keeps prices within reach of the gigging/young guitarist? Check.

Continues to innovate, updating the original line, offering "classics", AND new things never seen before? Check.

Still ran by the founder? Check.

My favorite effects company, hands down.

cookedbutok
04-14-2012, 12:04 PM
I love EHX's creativity and business model, they make some of the coolest pedals that i've played...very unique.

Here's my only drawback to EHX: Of the 5 pedals I've bought of theirs, 4 were so unbearably loud that I couldn't use them live.

They were loud in 2 ways: 1) white noise, every pedal came with a hiss or fizz when engaged, which i'm not unaccustomed to in other pedals, this was just over-the-top loud. 2) Their footswitches make the loudest click in the history of mankind (akin to the noise of snapping an elephant's femur). Those two things made the pedals a quick return for me. If they make a pedal that I can't live without, I'll bite the bullet and pay to have to pedal upgraded in those departments...but, i'll have to pass til then.

One add'l note, I played a POG2 and the pedal had neither of those issues, just wasn't what I need. maybe on the high end ones they beef up some of the components.

stratsnboogies
04-14-2012, 01:09 PM
Deluxe Memory Man, YES!

Officer Bukowski
04-14-2012, 01:40 PM
They've gotta be my all around favorite brand.

I recently picked up this old Small Stone (traded the newer one) and it's the coolest modulation pedal I've heard. I love it!
http://i825.photobucket.com/albums/zz176/Dub-T-123/photo-365.jpg

I can't get enough of the Muff either and I'd really like to scoop up a nice DMM.

golgonooza
04-14-2012, 01:48 PM
Electro-Harmonix has always been my answer whenever anyone asks "If you were compelled to use pedals from only one effects maker, excluding all others...?"

cheers!

CRWolf
04-14-2012, 07:14 PM
I love Electro-Harmonix's approach to creating pedals. My feelings towards them echo what most people have already said, including the reliability issues. I've had two switches go bad in pedals that are only a few years old and are two of the lesser used pieces on my board. I still love their stuff.

rspencer
04-14-2012, 07:39 PM
I can't get enough of the Muff

That's sig-worthy, right there. :)

If I had to own 1 dirt pedal, it would be a Big Muff.
Actually, I do use 1 dirt pedal...and it's a Big Muff.

Shish
04-14-2012, 08:16 PM
had 6 different EHX pedals, sold all of them. Ring Thing looks like the only one that still worth trying, the rest are boring as hell.

ruger9
04-14-2012, 08:20 PM
Very cool stuff BUT... their tube based pedals can be noisy. And EHX admits it. I had a noisy Wiggler, sent it back to them for repair, and was told "it ain't broke, it's just noisy... like all of them are. Thanks for your repair fee." :nono

DMM rocks.

Micro Q-Tron very fun.

Holy Grail pretty good.

Cathedral had too many digital artifacts for me.

Like any company, it's hit-or-miss...BUT they sure aren't afraid to try some wacky stuff!

SillyWabbit
04-14-2012, 08:45 PM
I have always wanted to try out a ravish sitar. I really respect the memory man/memory boy and think it's one of the best delay pedals at that price point.

III
04-14-2012, 09:18 PM
EHX is awesome. I think most people probably like them, they have some unique and classic stuff available. Obviously, they are known for their 'quirky' effects, but many of them are quite useful.

The Deluxe Memory Man and Big Muff will likely always have a strong following. 2 classic effects, used by MANY people.

I love the Micro POG, POG2, Big Muff w/ Tone Wicker, Memory Boy, Cathedral and actually most of their pedals. And of course the good old LPB-1! The Ring Thing is quite impressive as well.

Indeed... quirky and useful.

When I first started looking at EHX, I wasn't too impressed (power supply, reliability, noise and enclosure wise), but I think they've been doing it right for the last few years... love my POG2 and Cathedral... and they haven't broke down yet, having owned 'em for a few years now. Lusting for a Ring Thing and Ego Boost... DMB, LPB-1 and Big Muff with Tone Wicker would be fun to own too.

bahklava
04-14-2012, 10:06 PM
I own ten pedals. Two are permutations of the Big Muff - the Bass Big Muff and the Big Muff with Tone Wicker. One is the Micro POG, and one is the Bass Blogger (it was $30, okay?!). Needless to say, I love the brand.

jonnyelsinore
04-14-2012, 10:52 PM
I have a little big muff that I removed the silkscreen off the top and changed the knobs. People always ask, "what's that pedal!?" They're always amazed it's just a muff.

Led Sabblin
04-15-2012, 12:46 AM
their new stuff is weird, freeze, ring thing, superego, pog even though lot of people like it i don't like the digital stuff they are doing and i wouldn't buy it but i wonder how the new versions of the talking pedal and the crying tone will be

x-ray specs
04-15-2012, 02:52 AM
One thing I really love about Ehx, besides their great effects, is they don't go around copying everyone else. They like to innovate, something it seems is lost on many others. Ehx sets the bar, others try to follow......... if they can. Muhahahahaha.

Windup 43
04-15-2012, 02:53 AM
I've owned a bunch of EH stuff, still have the DMM, Small Stone and Mini Qtron- really classic stomps. I'd love to get another Micro Synth eventually, loved that thing...

Theroyalconsort
04-15-2012, 04:49 AM
Electro Harmonix.

Like all decent manufacturers they have some truly fantastic pedals and some really dont cut it.

Very strong on innovation and every now and then they REALLY nail it. (How cool is the POG guys).

Always one to keep an eye on.

mhuxtable
04-15-2012, 07:13 AM
EHX is probably the most creative and envelope pushing mass production pedal company around.

Their most recent offerings (Ravish Sitar, Freeze, Super Ego, treadle-less wah/expression/etc) prove that.

But their classics still stand the test of time.

I could easily have an all EHX board

lareplus
04-15-2012, 07:20 AM
great company, great pedals. . .no one is more willing to push the envelope.

scott757
04-15-2012, 08:04 AM
I have a Memory Man w/ Haz that I really like. I'll be buying a Nano Holy Grail at some point. I do really like how creative they are.

BurgundyMist
04-15-2012, 08:09 AM
I like EHX pedals, big box DMM is one of the oldest pedals I currently have.

sascha
04-15-2012, 08:30 AM
Don't have a single EHX pedal on my board currently ... still, I like them a lot. My band mate plays a Memory Boy Deluxe, a Cathedral and my old LPB booster. The LPB is a really nice booster, I gave it to him cause my Okko Twinsonic has a built-in booster. Memory Boy Deluxe is the best low-cost delay on the market IMO, at least if tap tempo and expression pedal control of feedback level are must-haves for you (they are, for me). The normal reverb sounds of the Cathedral are average IMO, but the tap tempo reverse reverb is great, as is the built-in Freeze function (same as in the dedicated Freeze pedal AFAIK).

I also really like the sound of the old Electric Mistress (non Deluxe), the HOG and the POG II.

Dr H3rtz MD
04-15-2012, 08:56 AM
I am such a huge electro harmonix fan boy. I'm consciously trying not to buy any more for risk of my board becoming an electro harmonix demo board.

I love that they both push the envelope - POG, freeze, etc. - and play tribute to their incredible pedals of yesteryear - the dmm with tap. While othe big (bigger) brands rest on their laurels - Ie, the constant stream of tube screamer reissues - or even ignore their past - why boss doesn't reissue the dm2 is beyond me. Plus they're affordable and getting better - smaller enclosures, boss style power jack, etc.

hydroquebec
04-15-2012, 09:55 AM
Same here! It got so bad that I think 80% of my PT-Pro was filled with EHX pedals. I've had a DMMXO, Big Muff Pi, SMMH, Cathedral, Worm, Holy Stain, Soul Preacher, Polychorus, POG2, etc.

Now all I've got from EHX is a big box DMM, but that's only because I've gotten into so many other builders.

falconerpdx
04-15-2012, 01:44 PM
I've owned the Stereo Clone Theory(highly underrated), big box Microsynth, Russian Big Muff, SMM w/Hazarai, big box Graphic Fuzz, Holy Stain, big box Switchblade, and Big box Deluxe Electric Mistress. The russkie big muff and the holy stain didn't work for me at all. The rest all sounded and performed great in the right circumstances. Currently, only the Graphic Fuzz is on my board. Great pedals and the prices are reasonable especially used.

justnick
04-15-2012, 01:45 PM
I love a lot of their stuff.

The DDMM with Hazarai is amazing.

But I keep having their stuff break on me.
Which is a drag.
I appreciate they are building to a very reasonable price point but...

Is it just me?

n

Abandoned
04-15-2012, 01:55 PM
I personally think they are creative and have cool ideas. But their quality of production absolutely stinks. I have bought and seen half a dozen of their pedals... and all of them cosmetically have been disgusting... Literally.
Scratches all over there paint jobs, painted over dents in the pedal housings, etc.

hacker
04-15-2012, 03:59 PM
I currently own only the Deluxe Memory Man-big box with built in power chord, and I love it.

In the past, I have owned and really enjoyed the Holy Grail Reverb (the original one-sounded great with my vibro-champ), Small Stone Phaser, Electric Mistress. All great pedals. I have tried the Muff w/Tone Wicker and that may be my next pedal purchase-very nice sounding.

The American-made stuff has absolutely killer build quality. My DMM has top-quality pots, jacks and its own little transformer in there. Why? I don't know.

Officer Bukowski
04-15-2012, 06:20 PM
I love a lot of their stuff.

The DDMM with Hazarai is amazing.

Which is a drag.

Is it just me?

n

Yeah I had a Memory Man w/ Haz and it was truly amazing but the bypass switch would sometimes just cut out all of my sound when I stepped on it which is obviously really bad for live use.

Funny though, my 70s Small Stone has the original bypass switch and it still works perfectly. I don't even notice any "tone suck", but I don't seem to be particularly sensitive to that type of thing.

Footbutt
04-15-2012, 06:28 PM
i have a love/hate relationship going on with EH.
my POG2 does amazing things, yet has proven itself unreliable.
i love my small stone nano, though. simple phaser at its best.

cubistguitar
04-15-2012, 07:04 PM
I like the company and their interest in being unique, but everytime I buy one it is noisy then it breaks, no more interest in EHX, well I lust after every POG2 I see, but just let me have it for a weekend, i will probably be trying to flip it.

piperman
04-15-2012, 07:12 PM
Definitely some of the coolest pedals around, and I have quite a few at this point. But, I am always a bit wary of the build quality.

Footbutt
04-15-2012, 07:33 PM
Which is a drag.

Is it just me?

n

nope. the digital stuff seems to have a lifespan of a sneeze. at least that's been my experience.

SetFiretotheHive
04-15-2012, 08:38 PM
AWESOME company....i use my freeze all the time, such a cool pedal.

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/561349_881631167195_28407550_37296601_1411085113_n .jpg

AXXA
04-15-2012, 11:59 PM
I'm sure a company that large is bound to have some duds pass QC, but I've never had an issue with any of their stuff. I've had about 20 EHX pedals over the last couple years, from the cheapest to the more expensive ones, not one problem ever. I still have 7-8 of their pedals, and they're all still sounding great! I wish I had kept more of them.

Led Sabblin
04-16-2012, 12:50 AM
read it somewhere else but have to agree that there's some great sounds in too big of a box that have a tendency to be built kinda poorly (sliding switches on DMM for example)The winner of the major companies over Boss, DOD, MXR

soundchaser59
04-16-2012, 03:51 PM
I loved the sounds I was geting, but I never could figure out how to get rid of the hiss and hum I always got from EHX pedals, so I let all of them go and never bought any more.

monkmiles
04-16-2012, 04:08 PM
I've always been a fan of EHX and think I'll always own a QTron and a Wiggler.

muffinMan74
04-16-2012, 04:43 PM
I have the reissue 16-Second Digital Delay from the mid-oughts, along with its companion footcontroller....absolutely nothing quite like it, especially the sweep on stretched reverse, nobody would think to make something that sounds that weird and cool. I also have an Iron Lung-- again, why no one except EHX ever thought to do this, put a vocoder in a stompbox for guitarists, is testimony to their creativeness.

I've had a few duds over the years too -- the initial run of XO Stereo Pulsars, tried to own & keep 2 of them and besides the volume drop the jacks weren't seated quite right and had intermittent failure. I also tried the #1 Echo & Soul Preacher, both of which had immense noise issues, and which went right back or never even left the store.

Anytime I see them with a newsflash I know there's a chance it might contain something truly innovative, unlike so many others that just release dirtbox variation #4783. I can easily overlook a fair amount of their offerings that fail to impress or interest me in anticipation that, once again, they might redefine what a stompbox can do.

nevernamed
04-16-2012, 05:08 PM
been huge on EHX for about 10 years now. these guys have some unique effects that really stand out from the rest, and they've been well made in my experience too.

sub rosa
04-16-2012, 06:19 PM
I like EHX, and have had a few of there pedals over the years. Build quality and reliability have been a let down for me though.

supergenius365
04-16-2012, 08:12 PM
I really want to like EHX for all the reasons people list here. But for some reason, and I know it might all be in my head, every EHX pedal I have tried produces some kind of frequency that gives me a headache. Literally a headache. The Micro POG is the only one I have kept without issue. It,however, doesn't have the second octave generator which caused me to trade away my original POG.

stratguy23
04-16-2012, 08:25 PM
Ya, EHX is a very cool company, I have owned a lot of their pedals and still own quite a few. Definitely check em out!

rsm
04-16-2012, 08:50 PM
My fav effects are TC Electronic, Source Audio and JangleBox...but, I have a EH BigMuffPi with ToneWicker that is the least expensive pedal I use regularly, has killed fuzz GAS for me, and has survived any other fuzz I've tried. For me, my fuzz tone = EH BMPwTW