PDA

View Full Version : slide guitar simulator pedal

JasonAz
04-19-2012, 04:29 PM
Does such a thing exist? Think of it.. you play one pitch..then when you play a higher pitch and instead of hearing the 2nd note, the pedal would make it sound like the first note is sliding into the 2nd, creating a slide guitar sound

midwayfair
04-19-2012, 04:41 PM
Certain delays will do this sort of. I think the Rebote/Echobase etc. if you turn the mix past unity and the time all the way down. I have one that gets sort of close. It doesn't sound particularly good, though.

You're basically talking about a very complicated effect that involves fast pitch tracking but also needs to be delayed so that it knows where your next note is before it slides up.

Otherwise: Digitech Wammy.

Pinelake
04-19-2012, 04:46 PM
The only thing I have close to that is an old Corcidin glass bottle
:bonk

JasonAz
04-19-2012, 04:53 PM
Its just hard to get a slide off and on during a song...thats why this would come in handy

adamhand
04-19-2012, 04:54 PM
The Electro Harmonix HOG can do something like this with it's Freeze Gliss mode.

Pinelake
04-19-2012, 06:05 PM
Yeah, I do understand and sorry to sound like a smart a$$. Slide is so filled with nuances, that I have a hard time imagining a pedal really doing it justice. But a very cool idea.

AllmanFan
04-19-2012, 07:17 PM
No disrespect to the OP...but dumbest thing Ive ever heard of and I hope it doesnt exist. Just my .02 cents.

cheameup
04-19-2012, 07:40 PM
yeah EHX Hog in gliss mode with expression peal around half down depending on how fast you want the sldie to be

its the only pedal I've seen that can do it

itkindaworks
04-19-2012, 07:51 PM
Volume pedal?

rushcentrale
04-19-2012, 09:43 PM
no way

standingzero
04-19-2012, 10:24 PM
volume knob or pedal w/ delay.

works every time

ltsmash1200
04-20-2012, 07:23 PM
If the only reason is because it's too hard to put on and take off a slide, you could try something like the above, or do what Joe Bonamassa did. His tech velcroed a magnet to the back of the headstock on his guitar. Using a metal slide, he can get it on and off VERY quickly.

methc
04-20-2012, 07:28 PM
Keep the slide on your middle finger. Use your other fingers to play power chords or whatever...

Stratobuc
04-20-2012, 07:29 PM
Whammy bar - works great for Jeff Beck (who also plays really good slide).

wingwalker
04-20-2012, 07:37 PM
:facepalm:facepalm:facepalm:facepalm

nl128
04-20-2012, 07:38 PM
http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h418/nl128/images-1.jpg

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h418/nl128/images-2-1.jpg

hoolahan slide from dunlop, once you get the hang of it. It works really well.

no disrespect to the OP but, I hope nobody starts a thread asking about a pedal that plays the guitar for you LOL

Stratobuc
04-20-2012, 07:42 PM
:facepalm:facepalm:facepalm:facepalm

Check out Michael Lee Firkins, after you get your face outta your mitt.

Jman21
04-20-2012, 08:02 PM
Hey thanks for posting this. Awesome stuff

DRGUN
04-20-2012, 08:06 PM
you could do it with a midi hookup. my old 10$ casio keyboard has portamento which is what youre describing.

Occam
04-20-2012, 08:11 PM
No disrespect to the OP...but dumbest thing Ive ever heard of and I hope it doesnt exist. Just my .02 cents.

Agreed. People find a way everyday to make this work. It's easy to get in the mindset of having pedals solve our playing issues but this USA case of play more, stomp less.

Rick Towne
04-20-2012, 08:56 PM
You can use the Will Ray ring slide for one string slides, or use the velcro on the slide to velcro on the back of the headstock like John Jorgenson or put the velcro rest for the slide on the pickguard like Johnny Hiland.

Lolaviola
04-20-2012, 09:42 PM
The effect you are describing is called portamento and is available on all synthesizers. I think you can get some pm effects on some of the new guitar synth pedals like Electro Harmonix....

MjCartney
04-20-2012, 09:58 PM
I've heard this is going to be a feature on the new Klon KTR.

phazersonstun
04-20-2012, 11:07 PM
I've heard some players simulate slide with the whammy bar & it sounded pretty convincing.

When I think slide, I automaticly think of some one like derrick trucks.

You could probly get a pedal rig to give you portamento, but that alone is not going to sound like slide. It's too vocal & filled with too many subtle nuances to automate.

As far as getting to the slide live, I keep mine in an old case for a clamshell phone on my strap sitting just above my LP's toggle switch. Before that I kept them is a swirly gig on a mic stand & keep a few extras there in case I drop one taking it off.

papersun
04-20-2012, 11:14 PM
Digitech Whammy. :bonk

Seegs
04-21-2012, 01:37 AM
Its just hard to get a slide off and on during a song...thats why this would come in handy

Check out the Jetslide...real easy to use and they sound great...

Chow,
Seegs

AngelsThanatos
04-21-2012, 02:16 AM
Pigtronix Mothership synth. I know it has a feature called glide. Not quite the same sound as a slide... It sounds soooo cool. I still want one!

sascha
04-21-2012, 04:01 AM
The Electro Harmonix HOG can do something like this with it's Freeze Gliss mode.

EHX Superego also has this gliss mode, cheaper and smaller than the HOG.

However, it will rather sound like a strange synthesizer on portamento than like slide guitar.

Daka3
04-21-2012, 04:34 AM
It will sound like a singing cheese. may I, in all respectfulness, suggest learning how to play a little slide? It's really a great tool to have in your box, and no pedal or gizmo can duplicate the sound of a good slide player. Micro-intervals, ornamentations, intonation - it's all very subtle and enchanting.

wingwalker
04-21-2012, 06:11 AM

Searched several clips on UTOOB...didn't hear anything that was overly slide like but I assume you are talking about his use of his vibrato bar.

My only thing about that is first it's not a pedal which is what the OP asked for.

My reason for a face palm is the thread is asking for a gizmo to allow the player to add a technique to his arsenal w/o having to put in the work...

As a new slide player that's been working at it almost 2 years now trust me when I say 2 things about playing slide guitar.

One-There are NO short cuts or easy ways out.

Two-The payoff is SO rewarding and worth the time and effort it takes.

hanales
04-21-2012, 07:36 AM
Searched several clips on UTOOB...didn't hear anything that was overly slide like but I assume you are talking about his use of his vibrato bar.

My only thing about that is first it's not a pedal which is what the OP asked for.

My reason for a face palm is the thread is asking for a gizmo to allow the player to add a technique to his arsenal w/o having to put in the work...

As a new slide player that's been working at it almost 2 years now trust me when I say 2 things about playing slide guitar.

One-There are NO short cuts or easy ways out.

Two-The payoff is SO rewarding and worth the time and effort it takes.

It's a tone, not a technique. I use a small ring slide and its still annoying during songs, so I leave it off most of the time. I personally would love to be able to slide notes here and there without it.

I really don't get why people are so against something like this here, some of the responses are really blowing my mind. I want to be able to make MORE sounds with my guitar, not be stuck in some box because its not the way things are done.

splatt
04-21-2012, 07:37 AM

use a vibrato bar, learn to use it in combination w/your LH phrasing & expression;
of course, that takes practise.....
ya can't quite "buy" that method of achieving this effect.

or?
buy a pedal like the Digitech WhammyDT;
it still takes practise, though it's a very different (more externally mechanical) kind of practise.

phazersonstun
04-21-2012, 10:16 AM
It's a tone, not a technique.

It is most assuredly not just a tone. You can't dial it in. It's a tone that requires a very specific technique to achieve. It just happens to be a difficult technique that takes some time to develop. Worth the effort IMHO & very useful to have in your bag of tricks.

I really don't get why people are so against something like this here,

I'm not against it at all.
If you can find a pedal to achieve the tone you're after, by all means go for it. I wish you luck. I'm just unaware of any way to convincingly emulate slide playing other than what I've heard some guys do with a whammy bar.

drolling
04-21-2012, 11:25 AM
It is most assuredly not just a tone.Yeah, I don't know about Youtube clips, but it's all over his only CD out that I know of, called Chapter 11. Great record, BTW. Don't know why the guy's not more famous

I'd love to see exactly how he does it, but sounds like it's basically the guitar's vibrato bar. A cool technique in any case!

I've got a lot of slides, AND a lot of pedals.. Some of them really can specifically enhance the slide sound - like a compressor. But I've yet to hear one that does what I think the OP's asking for

DigiTech Whammy's probably come closest, tho. I've got their 4th iteration, and 'octave +/-' & 'dive-bomb' are the best suited modes for that effect, IMO. Still sounds more like a digitized version of a Floyd Rose than a standard trem, and even less like a conventional slide-type sound, tho'

papersun
04-21-2012, 12:25 PM
^ I was joking. ;)

Rena Rune
04-21-2012, 12:29 PM
Not the same sound, but the Bendcho on the Zoom G3 can do something similar. It's a guitar Portamento sound. What you want is one that goes from the last note to the next though, which is very hard but not technically impossible. Basically when it detects a change in note, it would use a delayed signal of the last note and pitch shift it up until it reaches the current note. You'd have to adjust your playing for it of course, and it would have a fixed time more or less(or possibly adjustable with foot pedal).

Some of the synth sounds on my Korg Pandora already work like this.

Could be a cool effect to glitch the hell out of.

V
04-21-2012, 12:43 PM
Um...the Whammy?

stratmaniac
04-21-2012, 01:03 PM
If you keep your slide somewhere handy, like on the mic stand or whatever works, you can usually time it right and it's no problem. I've even kept mine in my pocket on occasion (is that a slide in your pants, or are you just glad to see me?) Let a chord hang or even (say it ain't so) stop playing for the couple of seconds it takes to grab the thing.

As guitarists, we don't have to constantly fill every nook and cranny of the song with "stuff". Space is nice, and the audience won't miss those two or three seconds. I had a friend who felt he didn't have time to change pickup settings while playing. I would disagree, but to each his own.

But if you can develop some faux-slide technique, that's cool too. Or re-arrange the part with something that isn't slide. Whatever works, especially in the trenches. Buying a pedal to simulate the sound of a cheap piece of pipe, a socket or a wine bottle neck would probably be my last choice.

splatt
04-21-2012, 01:14 PM
DigiTech Whammy's probably come closest, tho. I've got their 4th iteration, and 'octave +/-' & 'dive-bomb' are the best suited modes for that effect, IMO. Still sounds more like a digitized version of a Floyd Rose than a standard trem, and even less like a conventional slide-type sound, tho'

it sounds either like slide, or more likely, a vibrato bar (w/some dripping fx);
if it's the vibrato bar,
that would be a technique (that results in a sound) that is not all that difficult
for the willing to achieve.

as far as the Whammy pedal goes, setting up the pedal for 1/2 step, whole step or m3rd bends would likely be the way to go,
in conjunction w/physical glissandi.

it's not a "big deal", in any case, imo;
just time, concentration & some work.

ymmv, of course.

splatt
04-21-2012, 01:18 PM
Could be a cool effect to glitch the hell out of.

i do that, sometimes
--- pretty often, in fact ----
using either a hexe revolver or an EDP.

V
04-21-2012, 06:54 PM
the new whammy that's coming out should be pretty good for this. It's polyphonic.

But, keep in mind a lot of the character of slide playing is also the open tunings used.

splatt
04-21-2012, 06:56 PM
the new whammy that's coming out should be pretty good for this. It's polyphonic.

the WhammyDT, already on the market for a while & very (multi!)-flexible,
is fully polyphonic..... and sounds phreaking great.

AllmanFan
04-21-2012, 07:10 PM
:rollI've heard this is going to be a feature on the new Klon KTR.

:roll

BenTimages
04-21-2012, 07:13 PM
Check out the Jetslide...real easy to use and they sound great...

Chow,
Seegs

The Jetslide and Swivel Slide are useful (take a bit of getting used to), but IMO, glass slides sound so much better and so just worth the extra second or so it takes to put one on or off your finger. At a recent Zappa Plays Zappa concert, the guest guitarist, a local called Brett (couldn't catch the surname) ripped it up playing slide, laying the slide over at +/- 45 degrees so much that I guessed he must've been playing in standard tuning. Sure enough, he pocketed his slide and kept on jamming with Dweezil.

But somewhere I imagine somebody might invent a slide simulator pedal. More's the pity, cos I doubt it'd ever sound as good as glass on steel. Or even steel or ceramics on steel.

BenTimages
04-21-2012, 07:16 PM
If you keep your slide somewhere handy, like on the mic stand or whatever works, you can usually time it right and it's no problem. I've even kept mine in my pocket on occasion (is that a slide in your pants, or are you just glad to see me?) Let a chord hang or even (say it ain't so) stop playing for the couple of seconds it takes to grab the thing.

As guitarists, we don't have to constantly fill every nook and cranny of the song with "stuff". Space is nice, and the audience won't miss those two or three seconds.
Yep.

foureyes
04-21-2012, 07:39 PM
I get a pretty good slide sound with this pedal...
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk60/foureyesmusic/100_1370.jpg

V
04-21-2012, 08:26 PM
I get a pretty good slide sound with this pedal...
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk60/foureyesmusic/100_1370.jpg

winner

BenTimages
04-21-2012, 08:28 PM
Can't wait for the 4 knob version to come out!!

sascha
04-22-2012, 03:37 AM
the WhammyDT, already on the market for a while & very (multi!)-flexible,
is fully polyphonic..... and sounds phreaking great.

AFAIK, EHX HOG and Ring Thing both can do expression pedal controlled polyphonic pitchshifting, too.

On a more general note: To my ears, simulations/emulations of existing instruments most of the time sound more interesting when they are used as something new (= what they actually are) rather than as a carbon copy of an existing thing. And the more inaccurate the emulation, the more interesting it can get :-)

Fender Rhodes, Wurlitzer Piano and Hohner Clavinet were once introduced to the market to emulate piano sounds. The Univibe was meant to replace Leslie speakers, the Strat's whammy bar should enable players to get pedal steel like tones. Today, we have lots of digital devices that try to do accurate emulations of Rhodes, Wurlitzer, Clavinet and even whammy bar (see above). We have lots of analog univibe clones and digital models, probably more often used amongst guitar players than "real" (=more accurate) leslie emulations like Neo Ventilator or Strymon Lex. The most iconic whammy pedal tones are not slide guitar or whammy bar wannabe tones, but the sick digital glitching by Radiohead (My Iron Lung) and the synth-like octave up madness in Tom Morello solos.

drolling
04-22-2012, 05:32 AM
it sounds either like slide, or more likely, a vibrato bar (w/some dripping fx);
if it's the vibrato bar,
that would be a technique (that results in a sound) that is not all that difficult
for the willing to achieve.

as far as the Whammy pedal goes, setting up the pedal for 1/2 step, whole step or m3rd bends would likely be the way to go,
in conjunction w/physical glissandi.

it's not a "big deal", in any case, imo;
just time, concentration & some work.

ymmv, of course.No, David you're absolutely right! My Whammy IV's actually packed away at the moment. Like so much of the stuff I've accumulated 'round here, I never really mastered the nuances of this box & moved on to newer toys years ago

Your recommendations to achieve this effect with Wh4 are much better than mine were. I'd actually forgotten completely about about dropped D mode, which is a lot easier to work with than the multi-octave settings I suggested
Thanks!

BTW, it seems I need to look into that DT version. Sounds like a significant improvement!