PDA

View Full Version : Keurig filled with ants - What to do?

hackenfort
04-26-2012, 11:41 AM
Yesterday morning I noticed a couple of very tiny ants on the counter, never had them in the 12 years I have been here. Found they had taken over the water tank and housing of my Keurig coffee maker. Cleaned every thing with soap & water, what could went in the dish washer.

This morning I re-assembled, filled with water, just a few hours later there back.

I googled this and it seems more common that I had dreamed.

Any idea's on how to stop this, they are no where else just in the Keurig.

Thanks!

In Absentia
04-26-2012, 11:43 AM
Quit brewing with ants!

KeithC
04-26-2012, 11:53 AM
Ants know coffee! A little protein with your coffee shouldn't hurt you :)

hackenfort
04-26-2012, 12:10 PM
Just got off the phone with Keurig, they told me to discard the unit and buy a new coffee maker. DUH while I love the single cup, I won't be paying a premium price for a Keurig again!

No help at all, and worst part they know this is a problem that many people are having.

Tuberattler
04-26-2012, 12:14 PM
An aquatic ant farm... what's not to love. Value added, it also attracts interesting insects.

tele_phil
04-26-2012, 12:22 PM
Have this guy over for coffee :-)

http://www.vibrationdata.com/Resources/anteater1.jpg

Hard2Hear
04-26-2012, 12:23 PM
Put some vaseline around the base of your coffemaker. ants won't crawl through it. Works for my hummingbird feeders that were previously ant infested.

GCDEF
04-26-2012, 12:23 PM
Just got off the phone with Keurig, they told me to discard the unit and buy a new coffee maker. DUH while I love the single cup, I won't be paying a premium price for a Keurig again!

No help at all, and worst part they know this is a problem that many people are having.

I seriously doubt ants in your house is a Keurig problem. Wash it out and call an exterminator.

overunderdrive
04-26-2012, 12:24 PM
I would run some full-strength white vinegar through there, dry it out, and then give it a rest for a few days in a different location.

the vinegar is a harmless cleaner--it will actually de-calcify the coffee maker--the ants won't like the odor, and drying it out will start you at square one.

make sure you run some fresh water through it before using it again.

edit: here's a mechanical issue and fix that may be at the root of the problem: http://www.fixya.com/support/t12560016-ants_in_keurig

semi-hollowbody
04-26-2012, 12:28 PM
I would do the Keeley ant mod on the Coffee maker...worked for me

;)

bigdaddy
04-26-2012, 12:32 PM
Use a real coffee brewing method?

Nurk2
04-26-2012, 12:55 PM
Use a real coffee brewing method?

Verily. Were there ants in my french press, I'm certain I would have noticed them, and found them easy enough to remove.

VCuomo
04-26-2012, 02:10 PM
I would run some full-strength white vinegar through there, dry it out, and then give it a rest for a few days in a different location.

the vinegar is a harmless cleaner--it will actually de-calcify the coffee maker--the ants won't like the odor, and drying it out will start you at square one.

make sure you run some fresh water through it before using it again.

edit: here's a mechanical issue and fix that may be at the root of the problem: http://www.fixya.com/support/t12560016-ants_in_keurig:agree And you're supposed to do this every few months or so anyway to de-scale the Keurig (the de-scaling procedure is documented in the booklet that came with the Keurig).

The Keurig is not the source of the problem - the ants just like the coffee grounds and, if you use flavored coffee, any sugar that might be in the used K-cup in the maker (throwing away the used K-cup right after you use it might also help to cure the ant problem). You need to find the source of the ants (their "nest") and get rid of it. And you might want to call an exterminator before the problem gets really bad.

overunderdrive
04-26-2012, 02:23 PM
You need to find the source of the ants (their "nest") and get rid of it. And you might want to call an exterminator before the problem gets really bad.

if he is on the west coast, there is no getting rid of the problem.

we lived in San Diego for a few years, and like everyone else, had our share of Argentine ants.

when I did some research on solving the problem, I was dismayed to learn that there is a SUPER COLONY of Argentine ants that runs from Mexico all the way up the coast to San Francisco.

You can take an ant from San Diego, drop it into line in San Fran, and it will just keep on keeping on.

since they first arrived from Argentina via ship, there are no natural predators in North America.

those ants aren't going ANYWHERE

Trout
04-26-2012, 04:03 PM
Here in the Midwest especially this time of year those tiny tiny ants are a royal PITA. Keeping them out of the house is an annual event.

All you green types and eco types please read no further.
If you have pets or kids do not even bother reading this.

Head over to your local garden center and get a bottle of Malathion concentrate & a 2-5 gallon sprayer.

Go around the entire house/foundation and spray the concrete or cinder blocks with a good wet coat.
Around doorways, door sills & patio door tracks repeat once the first coat dries.

They will die and be gone in 2-3 days tops.
Those tiny ants are extremely vulnerable to Malathion and even the smell seems to kill them.
Last year we had some coming in our front entrance, I sprayed, went back an hour later and the entire colony of 100,000 were sitting there dead.
It looked like someone spilled pepper on the porch!

The coffee maker, After the outside treatment is complete its
No problem.

Spray a hand towel outside the home and hang it up to dry.
Once dry, lay it flat on the counter under the coffee maker. You can clean up the bodies in the morning.

Malathion is a vegetable garden safe product though there is always reasons to avoid such products.
http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/household/brands?tbl=brands&id=19022016

Edit, my brother had them go after his dishwasher, we basically did the same thing, slide the towel under it, wait 24 hours, vacuum up the bodies.

Luecack
04-26-2012, 04:06 PM
First world problem.....

try running water and baking soda through it

stratman34
04-26-2012, 04:16 PM

Too bad you didn't record this call for posterity.

Peteyvee
04-26-2012, 04:32 PM
Yeah, but they're real handy to have around if you have a wasps nest...

if he is on the west coast, there is no getting rid of the problem.

we lived in San Diego for a few years, and like everyone else, had our share of Argentine ants.

when I did some research on solving the problem, I was dismayed to learn that there is a SUPER COLONY of Argentine ants that runs from Mexico all the way up the coast to San Francisco.

You can take an ant from San Diego, drop it into line in San Fran, and it will just keep on keeping on.

since they first arrived from Argentina via ship, there are no natural predators in North America.

those ants aren't going ANYWHERE

OlAndrew
04-26-2012, 05:13 PM
you can cut down the local numbers for awhile, though.

We were having ants invading the hummingbird feeders around our house.

Put out little piles of NutraSweet around the feeders, and in a few days, there were VERY few ants.

Or, you can use some of those baits that are made of sugarwater and boric acid. (If I remember right) We've used those with great success. Find em in health food stores and some hardware stores.

hackenfort
04-27-2012, 05:40 AM
cleaned it up again, it sat overnight - no ants anywhere.

Thinking about it this all started this week, also this is the first time I put a have ever put flavored coffee in the machine.

Thanks to those who offered helpful ideas, I appreciate it!

Kevin

Blue Strat
04-27-2012, 06:20 AM
I seriously doubt ants in your house is a Keurig problem. Wash it out and call an exterminator.

It's 2012. EVERYTHING is someone else's fault. :D

cram
04-27-2012, 06:36 AM
I believe it's required to comment with this cartoon -

9JQTf4W_BbE

(classic voice right there)

As for the keurig... We've gone through this at home and with two units gone through, I've realized the way we consume coffee here the kkups are not the way for us. The drip or plung units are more reliable and taste better. The machines don't have all these silly moving parts.

And I'll say this definitively: I've never had an ant problem with non keurig units :)

hi-fi-dave
04-27-2012, 06:58 AM
Have you tried having chocolate with the ants??? I hear chocolate covered ants are quite good

:)

Trout
04-27-2012, 07:02 AM
cleaned it up again, it sat overnight - no ants anywhere.

Thinking about it this all started this week, also this is the first time I put a have ever put flavored coffee in the machine.

Thanks to those who offered helpful ideas, I appreciate it!

Kevin

That is great, but remember, they found their way to the device. You still need to determine the entry point into the home.

These ants send out scouts just like most varieties, once a food source is located, they return in large numbers.

We once had them find a doggy biscuit in a second floor sewing room on a desk. No less than 200 of them!

Ever since we started the annual treatments along the foundation the problem has stopped. Our home is just under 8 years old, we never thought that we would have an ant problem when we bought it.

Birddog
04-27-2012, 07:04 AM
I believe the small ants are probably sugar ants. Had a problem with them 2 years ago and someone suggesting buying some old fashioned 20 Mule Team Borax (soap) and sprinkling it around the infested area (or placing it in small tins / on a piece of paper towel) and along wall and counter edges. In a week, our problem was completely gone. The Borax is apparently deadly to the ants, who carry the granules back to their nests and do the dirty work of destroying the nests for you.

This really works.

GuitarKidd
04-27-2012, 07:14 AM

BINGO!!!

Tell him what he's won Johnny... A year supply of Rice-A-Roni, the Sanfrancisco Treat.

Nurk2
04-27-2012, 07:42 AM
I've found that Terro, inside and outside the home, is completely effective. I use the bait on their trails, and a can of the dust along walls inside and outside. It's been a warm spring and I've seen NOTHING so far this year. Also, because the active ingredient is nothing more than borax, it's much much safer than pesticides.

hackenfort
04-28-2012, 06:58 AM

The Keurig isn't the root of the problem, but it did attribute to it.

Now that I have removed the flavored K-cups, which one member mentioned may be attracting them.

I'm back to regular coffee now and happy to say I'm ant free again today.

I should have noticed that my problem started the morning after I used them for the first time.

PS I do have the base of the house sprayed each spring for bugs, seeing the ants still found their way in, I'm thinking that has been a waste of money.