PDA

View Full Version : GC discontinuing the Fryette SAS?

kramerxxx
05-05-2012, 06:40 PM
I spoke with a guy that said they had these discounted and were discontinuing them. I'm not sure if it was just THAT GC or if all GCs were stopping carrying that pedal or Fryette stuff in general.

Has anyone heard?

zorak
05-05-2012, 07:18 PM
GC was blowing them out. I purchased one for $119 at one of the locations.

6AM
05-05-2012, 08:09 PM
I'm pretty sure they've been long gone for a while.

drbob1
05-05-2012, 11:37 PM
People still see the occasional one, but in the main they're gone...

support
05-06-2012, 11:37 AM
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/fryette-s.a.s.-tube-distortion-guitar-effects-pedal/h71113000000000

splatt
05-06-2012, 11:42 AM
they're not gone, obviously;
my impression is that they're in some kind of regular demand, now.

FenderBigot
05-06-2012, 11:43 AM
Both of my local GC's have moved them to the "used" case and have a clearance price of $119 on them.

What do these sound like? Can they do a clean boost or does the gain knob have hair on it still if rolled fully CCW?

GovernorSilver
05-06-2012, 12:48 PM
GC was blowing them out. I purchased one for $119 at one of the locations.

I got one too for that price. The GC in my area wasn't advertising it either. In any case, I feel like it's a very good deal.

stephen sawall
05-06-2012, 02:16 PM
What do these sound like? Can they do a clean boost or does the gain knob have hair on it still if rolled fully CCW? A very small amount ....
If you do a search here I wrote a review awhile back....

Pointy Headstock
05-08-2012, 02:00 PM
I was in two different GCs last week and they both still had the SAS on clearance for $119. Fryette is brand new to the pedal area, so while their products are rock solid, I think they're learning some lessons specific to the pedal market segement. My personal theories are that:

1) The $199 price point was definately too high- especially for the traditional Fryette channel of smaller shops to stock. (Pricing the Boostassio and SAS at the same MAP is an additional "what are you guys thinking?" IMHO).

2) Due to 1) and/or some really optimistic initial sales forecasts, Fryette ended up carrying more inventory for longer than they wanted to. Cutting a deal with GC probably got them both short term cash in hand as well as great exposure by actually getting the pedal placed front and center in the GC display cases (albiet as a loss leader) It certainly got several of us to buy the SAS and talk about it :).

3) The quality of the initial runs of both the Boostassio and SAS aren't up to S. Fryette's manical detail standards. The SAS has a debatable issue with a sensative pot (which Fryette will "fix" for free if a user so desires) and both the SAS and Boostassio paintjobs are clearly NOT as dazzling as the prototypes and marketing photos. Offering users a discount because of some very minor issues (that have nothing to do with sound or reliability), is another win/win- it certainly got my loyalty and incented me to to go ahead and get a Boostassio as well (without the big GC price discount).

Regardless of 1, 2, and 3...I own both a SAS and a Boostassio and I'm super happy with each of them. They're fantasic sounding pedals and I hope that we see some additional pedals from Fryette soon.

neville5000
05-08-2012, 03:06 PM
I played one the other day. The GC in south Vegas still has several. I thought it sounded good, but I ended up wanting to hear it through my own rig so I passed. I played it through an Egnater combo and it had a very nice break-up. I need another OD pedal like I need another hole in my head.

Gas-man
05-12-2012, 07:56 PM
GC in my area had them at $119 AND honored a 12% off coupon.

Damn that Splatt and Pete Anderson for inducing this gas!

tradrad
09-18-2012, 08:24 PM
Both of my local GC's have moved them to the "used" case and have a clearance price of $119 on them.

What do these sound like? Can they do a clean boost or does the gain knob have hair on it still if rolled fully CCW?

very late in the game for this thread, but FWIW....
it is an AMAZING clean boost....better than a clean boost....more like a great tube pre/buffer....i use one right after my guitar and before a long line of FX/loopers....GAIN fully CCW, bias at noon, level to taste (around 9-10 oclock)
i'd be lost w/o it....it sounds THAT good.

just my .02
be blessed/d#

stephen sawall
09-19-2012, 03:29 PM
Recently I have been using mine in front of a NMV JMP style amp and getting great results.

Gas-man
09-19-2012, 04:41 PM
very late in the game for this thread, but FWIW....
it is an AMAZING clean boost....better than a clean boost....more like a great tube pre/buffer....i use one right after my guitar and before a long line of FX/loopers....GAIN fully CCW, bias at noon, level to taste (around 9-10 oclock)
i'd be lost w/o it....it sounds THAT good.

just my .02
be blessed/d#

This is how I use it too.

The marketing of this pedal is horrible--it is NOT "Distortion" or at least that is not where it shines.

I use it as a pre-amp/boost and everything just sounds better.

tradrad
09-24-2012, 08:48 PM
This is how I use it too.

The marketing of this pedal is horrible--it is NOT "Distortion" or at least that is not where it shines.

I use it as a pre-amp/boost and everything just sounds better.

yeah....strangely enough, i found this way of using it by accident....trying to make my crate V15 (i know....it's my 'leave at school' amp!) more responsive....using the SAS as the amp's 'front end' actually changed the way i looked at the AMP....and then the way i looked at the effect! :D
it's way more 'powerful' than the marketing implicates.
same goes for the boostasio....killin!

stephen sawall
09-28-2012, 12:36 AM
I tend to use the gain real low or off myself most of the time.