PDA

View Full Version : Groove Tube Solo 75

goodtone
10-21-2005, 05:38 PM
MikeyG happened to mention that the Groove Tube amps are great on another thread and I agree . Seems that there isn't to much discussion about these amps. Their trio preamp and Solo 75 amps are real nice amps. The 2 channel Solo 75 amp can switch between Class A and Class AB. The clean channel is real clean. Almost 63 Bassman clean. Works with my Gretsch & Strat very nicely. The mean or gain channel is 80's brown. Both channels can be blended(clean & mean). Over all a nice amp. Sometimes they pop up on ebay at a reasonable price.

drbob1
10-22-2005, 01:25 AM
It's funny, I had a Soul-O 75 and was somewhat underwhelmed. That's when I was looking for Fender cleans and Marshall crunch in one box. I now have a Soul-o Satellite (basically a single preamp tube and the power section from the 75) and it's a killer clean amp-power switchable from about 15-75w, nice crunch when you wind it up and takes pedals very well. I'd be interested in trying another 75 if one turned up, but for now I'm running my PSA1 into the Satellite for crunch/drive and using the amp straight for clean...

Scott Peterson
10-22-2005, 01:40 AM
Well, two time owner of a GT Soul-O 45; I never got over selling my first one and bought another a few months ago to fill the hole in my soul-o. :D

Never tried a 75; but this 45 - which is nothing more than a single clean channel pedal platform - is such a killer amp for what it does. Top notch amp, small potatoes price. Goooood.

Gary Brennan
10-22-2005, 08:39 AM
I've had a Solo 75 head and 1x12 cab since '94. IMO, the clean channel is far superior to the scream on these, great headroom although it can be a bit bassy- I've never been able to put the clean's bass past 9:00, even with a tele. The clean makes it an excellent pedal platform, don't know how it compares to the 45. It has a great series/parallel loop, big output tranny too. These amps take a variety of output tube types, but put over 500 volts on them, which rules out lots of NOS choices. I bought this for the clean sound.

The scream channel has always seemed kinda harsh regardless of the brand or gain of the preamp tubes, it has so much gain it swamps the eq section (the clean ch. uses 1/2 of V1, the scream uses that and 2 additional tubes for gain). For me scream has been unuseable by itself, but at minimal gain and stacked with the clean it gives a good light crunch.

I understand that Voodoo amps says he's modded several of these to address the bass response. I'm tempted to talk to him about some tweaks- reeling in the scream, or duplicating the clean and using it for jazz tones. If anyone does any themselves, please post the experience.

gb

bluesdoc
10-22-2005, 10:40 AM
The solo 75 was my first 'boutique' (=expensive) amp, also, like Gary, bought around '94. I liked the sounds but the scream channel was impossible to control. The volume setting had a useful range of about 1mm. Groove tubes tried to address the problem, without success. I eventually brought the amp to Bill Krinard to fix and while chatting with him about it and their new Emerald 50 amps, I was cajoled into trying one. Within a week, the solo was gone and the Emerald was mine. Long time ago at this point............ :rolleyes:

jon

mad dog
10-22-2005, 10:45 AM
I've been wanting a Soul-O 45 for years, after hearing jazzman Bob Devoe play all night on one at a club. Such a solid, deep and musical clean sound. It's also one of the few smaller format amps (a not-too-spacious cabinet for that single 12" speaker) that does not sound boxy or restricted in any way. Would love to try one of these.

Distortion
10-22-2005, 10:54 AM
I bought my Solo 75 new in the mid 90's and it has been a great amp for what I paid for it.
It is set up for el34's and I prefer to blend the clean and scream channels together..
I have used it a couple of times in the studio and it is records very well.
Here is a shot of mine..

http://www.outlawguitars.net/images/05240032.jpg

DrJamie
10-22-2005, 11:05 AM
Should have kept my 45 too. Great cleans, and portable. (I know this is the 75 thread.) And, I basically gave it away. boo hoo.

BFC
10-22-2005, 02:14 PM
A good friend of mine had a phenomenal sounding 75, both clean and scream channels. I bought one based on my experience with his. Mine was an absolute dog. Not even close to sounding as good as his. Try before you buy if you can.

TheGrooveking
10-22-2005, 03:09 PM
I first found out about the Soul-O 45 at a Guitar Center when I was checking out guitars. The sales guy said plug into this, so I did. I left the guitar there, but took home the amp. I eventually bought a second one, because as they say, the Soul-O 45 was designed to take pedals and man does it. I also have the Soul-O 30 1-15 combo and that is another winner, everything they say in their advertisement is true. I alos have a Trio preamp and a D75 power amp. Groove Tube stuff is top shelf if you ask me. I know this thread is about the Soul-O 75, but that is just another amp on my short list of to get amps.

TheGrooveking

michael.e
10-22-2005, 03:11 PM
Anbody have any thoughts on the 150? I have a line on one for an incredible price. M.E.

BFC
10-22-2005, 03:17 PM
BTW, I did play through a Trio and Dual 75 rig for several years with a full time band in the mid '90s. That rig always sounded fantastic and never had one problem through hundreds of gigs. Heavy brute though. I don't think I would want to haul it around these days.

Mita
10-22-2005, 04:07 PM
I've had a lot of problems with mine... Sound was killer but every 6 months there was another problem with it.
It's problem now is when you turn it on it starts squealing until you hit it right over the gain dial . Also it eats thru tubes when it's on standby and switched to class a.
Then on the other hand it sounds absolutely great when recorded.
Has anyone else here have my problems or is it a so called lemon amp ??
Greetz
Mita

MikeyG
10-22-2005, 05:01 PM
If you're talking about the very recent thread, I said it was a great pedal amp.

It's a very good amp for the money, I wouldn't call it great. I loved the cleans and pushed cleans. The OD is pretty good, but not quite open enough for my tastes .... and it does like pedals pretty well. For what they cost used, they are a great value.

ssguernsey
03-10-2010, 08:46 AM
I've owned my Soul-O 75 since '94 and gigged heavily up to 2001 (2-3 times a year since then). Never had a problem. Here's the way I get close to "Howie's" tone. My PRS bolt-on into a Barber Small Fry (gain at 10 o'clock, dynamics wide open) in to a Zvex Super Hard On (based on an late '60's Neve console circuit design I'm told - aural enhancer extraodinaire!) into the 75 set on both channels (clean gain at 10 o'clock, low mids, vol up. scream gain at 10 o'clock, mids way up, vol at 9 o'clock, FAT switch on. I run an old Lexicon Alex in the FX loop for reverb but will be swapping for a VanAmps rev pedal. I have the separate head and custom 2-12 cab. I'll use a Weber attenuater if I need to "notch it back" for smaller clubs. Tweak the gain a little and I've got David Lindley tone to die for. Too bad GTs are no longer in production. In the boutique world they're very underrated.

PeeCee
03-10-2010, 10:21 AM
My rig used to be a Trio into a Dual 75. I really liked the Trio, but for some reason or another, at some point I dropped the Trio for a Soldano SP77 preamp, then I switched to a Mesa RectoPre. Later the D75 got traded out for a Mesa 20/20 (smaller gigs?!?). I used to run an Alex in the loop, too.

Finally, I gave up on rack gear altogether. Each move seemed to be an improvement at the time. But as I look back, the GT gear was probably the best rack stuff I ever had.

If I had to set up a rack again, I'd probably use the Trio and a D75 with 88s on one side and 34s or 66s on the other, a Lexicon and TC...

But that would be such a heavy bugger to haul around...

philooo
06-04-2010, 10:16 AM
The 75 and 150's are good sounding amps. it comes down to taste. It's better to change the screen resister values for extra insurance though - that's one part of the design best changed. I liked them when they were new, but I finally got around to grabbing a few last year. One is set up for more break-up and another is set for high headroom - good stuff. You should get the manual off the net - you will learn more about the amp itself from that than various replies. I find it very versitile between the channels or the both channels at one time option and the various ways to run the power section. The difference comes through on record nicely. The gain channel to some does not have enough gain but I like it because I can still hear the sound of the guitar (I always know I'm playing a Strat even with the gain maxed).
Hello there !
I'm happy to see some fresh information about this amp I own and I like a lot.
Would you mind explain the mod you performed in this amp ? What is the purpose ? What is the effect of the mod ??? Does it work in A/B or class A ? or both ?
These days I'm feeling this amp is too loud even in live situation and I'm looking for a way to make it sound good but at a lower volume. Any idea?

Atmospheric
06-04-2010, 12:45 PM
I've owned two 75s and played the 45 a bunch.

I wish I could have gotten a 75 without the Clean channel. For me, the Scream channel was all I needed - just work the guitar volume.

Ultimately, I sold mine because it was just too darned loud and heavy. I remounted a combo into a head cab and it was still 70lbs just for the head. But big iron=big tone.

I ended up buying a Soul-O Single hoping that I could get the Scream channel in a small single-channel package but alas, it sounded nothing like the 75.

Oh, the 75s run wicked hot. You really need that fan that comes with them.

I believe the 75s were designed by Red Rhodes (Velvet Hammer pickups). I think once he passed that GT lost the soul of their design group. I think the Soul-O Single was designed by one of their bench techs (at least that's what the bench tech told me when I had them service my 75).

Well, two time owner of a GT Soul-O 45; I never got over selling my first one and bought another a few months ago to fill the hole in my soul-o. :D

Never tried a 75; but this 45 - which is nothing more than a single clean channel pedal platform - is such a killer amp for what it does. Top notch amp, small potatoes price. Goooood.

philooo
06-08-2010, 06:27 AM
Hey philooo.

>>Would you mind explain the mod you performed in this amp ? What is the purpose ?
What is the effect of the mod ??? Does it work in A/B or class A ? or both ?

It's just a precaution for reliability and to help avoid shorter tube life. I forgot who told me this or where I got it from: "You could change the 470-1W screen resistors to 1k-1W flame-proofs. This will protect the tubes and allow use of any grade. It is not high-voltage killing the tubes it is screen-over-heating. Aspen copied Fender's mistake here."

>>These days I'm feeling this amp is too loud even in live situation and I'm looking for >>a way to make it sound good but at a lower volume. Any idea?

Hmm. Well do you have a 75? Or a 150. What tubes are in it? The amp can take different kinds of tubes. Class A can drop output. Have you read the manual (http://playingdead.net/soul-o.pdf)?

Hello and thanks for good information !

Yes I've read the manual many times.
My amp is the 75 w version
I will not try the class A mode because tubes get too hot. My Soul-o 75 does not have the fan. That's why I can't use this option.
My amp seems too be an old model with "solo" intead of "soul-o", with funny drawings on, and without "classic cone" speaker (celestion G12k85 instead).
Too bad because I'm sure the Class A mode must be interesting.
The tubes are 6L6 (not GT).

goodtone
06-08-2010, 06:47 AM
When I was in the midst of buying my solo 75 (allready placed a deposit) a Hiwatt DR504 was also available at the store as well. I still have memories of how great that amp sounded ! Oh the gas !

Joe F
06-08-2010, 10:32 AM
you can use any kind of fan back there - go for it! I think not using the Class A and Class A Gnarly is selling yourself short. Although I use a/b most of the time.

Two of mine are Solo and one is Soul-o. They had to change the name because some other product was using Solo in the market place, but the amp is the same.

Attenuator I suppose....

Gary Brennan
06-08-2010, 11:49 AM
If anyone here is interested, I have the GT rack fan that goes on the back of either the 75/150 watt head or combos to cool the tubes. It will also fit any standard rack, off/low/hi speed selection, and has a utility AC outlet as well. I think these went for about $100 back when, I would sell it for $60 shipped. Pics available, it's in decent shape.

GB

philooo
06-09-2010, 01:52 AM
If anyone here is interested, I have the GT rack fan that goes on the back of either the 75/150 watt head or combos to cool the tubes. It will also fit any standard rack, off/low/hi speed selection, and has a utility AC outlet as well. I think these went for about $100 back when, I would sell it for $60 shipped. Pics available, it's in decent shape.

GB
Hi!
Sure I'm highly interested because my amp lacks one.
An I'm ready to pay the shipment to europe for it.

But it has to be compatible with 240V AC... Maybe is it possible for you to check this for me ???

Thanks and regards,

bolaman
06-09-2010, 02:40 AM
I've had the Trio/Dual 75 setup since the nineties - killer sound, particularly the channel 1+3 setting. Great cleans and the amp is worth the pittance they can be picked up for just for the mean channel! I use mine with a TC 2290 and Peavey Valveverb ..who needs a Dumble!!

mullytron
06-09-2010, 02:48 AM
I've had the Trio/Dual 75 setup since the nineties - killer sound, particularly the channel 1+3 setting. Great cleans and the amp is worth the pittance they can be picked up for just for the mean channel! I use mine with a TC 2290 and Peavey Valveverb ..who needs a Dumble!!

I want the Valverb for my 75! My neighbor's old Quadraverb is not cutting it! Anyone tried an Intellifex with one of these?

Gary Brennan
06-09-2010, 11:07 AM
Hi!
Sure I'm highly interested because my amp lacks one.
An I'm ready to pay the shipment to europe for it.

But it has to be compatible with 240V AC... Maybe is it possible for you to check this for me ???

Thanks and regards,

This is not compatible for 240V as far as I know.

GB

mullytron
06-09-2010, 11:16 AM
If that fan fits the 75, i will kindly take 110 dibs!