PDA

View Full Version : HD500 vs GT100 vs Zoom G5

ThijsvB
05-18-2012, 01:12 PM
Hey guys,

I'm truly stuck here. I made the desicion to purchase a multi-effects unit. But I just can't make up my mind about them and I don't know a store nearby that has all three of them. So I would like to ask you if someone has had some experience with them.
My situation right now is that I don't have effects of any kind. I have a Laney tfx2 amp with built-in effects, but I really want to start playing with effects more. I know that the Zoom G5 is a lot cheaper than the HD500 and the GT100, but I know a store that has a discontinuance sale. So maybe I can order one of those there relatively cheap.
I also thought about buying a new amp. I was looking at a vox AC30, as I really dig the tone. But I don't really know if it's a good decision to put a multi-effects unit in front of a beautiful sounding tube amp, because it might influence the tone more than I'd like it to.
Another thing that I have to think about is that I'm going to college next year and I may not be able to really use an amp. So in that case a multi-effects unit would be a better option, because it enables me to play with headphones.
I really don't know what to do here, so I hope that you guys have some good advice for me!

Thanks in advance

tjinca1
05-18-2012, 01:15 PM
Look in the multieffects category

pbecker314
06-28-2012, 07:27 AM
Hey guys,

I'm truly stuck here. I made the desicion to purchase a multi-effects unit. But I just can't make up my mind about them and I don't know a store nearby that has all three of them. So I would like to ask you if someone has had some experience with them.
My situation right now is that I don't have effects of any kind. I have a Laney tfx2 amp with built-in effects, but I really want to start playing with effects more. I know that the Zoom G5 is a lot cheaper than the HD500 and the GT100, but I know a store that has a discontinuance sale. So maybe I can order one of those there relatively cheap.
I also thought about buying a new amp. I was looking at a vox AC30, as I really dig the tone. But I don't really know if it's a good decision to put a multi-effects unit in front of a beautiful sounding tube amp, because it might influence the tone more than I'd like it to.
Another thing that I have to think about is that I'm going to college next year and I may not be able to really use an amp. So in that case a multi-effects unit would be a better option, because it enables me to play with headphones.
I really don't know what to do here, so I hope that you guys have some good advice for me!

Thanks in advance

Since you're considering a new amp and effects box, I highly recommend that you take look at the new Line 6 DT25 tube amp combined with the HD500 preamp/effects floorbox. Not sure whether your system is intended for home use or live performance, but in my case, my emphasis is on getting great tone at live shows. The DT25/HD500 system is giving me the best stage tone I've ever been able to achieve. It is certainly a bit pricey, but you can get both pieces for around $1300 or a little less if you hit a good sale. That's what I did and now I'm selling my old rig :-)

Some people like the new Zoom G5 better, I bought that too and compared it side-by-side with the HD500/DT25 and to me there's no question about it. I returned the G5 yesterday. To me, it's definitely a decent floorbox, but the integrated HD500/DT25 system takes things to a whole new level IMHO.

Pete

Will Chen
06-28-2012, 07:48 AM
I currently own the Digitech GSP1101 and Line 6 HD500. Just sold off a Boss GT-100 and previously owned the G3. Here's my take:

In the amp modeling department, I think the HD500 is probably the most realistic from a combined feel and tonal perspective (though the GSP won out in a couple of blind tests I've down over in the modeling forum). The best amps in the box IMHO are the Fender models, but pretty much all of them are totally usable. The compression, delay, pitch, and filter effects are very nice and the looper is well integrated. That said, the modulation effects are mediocre at best and the drives with the exception of the Screamer and Tube drive are pretty harsh sounding. Extremely flexible unit, but very hard to learn.

I couldn't get a competitive direct tone from the GT-100 in comparison to the HD and GSP (and my blind test confirmed it), but others seem to have done pretty well. However, the unit is wonderful with an amp. By and large the effects are great, and there are a number of extremely usable drive options including customizing your own drive (by starting with a generic model and controlling pre/post EQ, gain available, etc). Extremely flexible unit and surprising intuitive to dial in.

The G3 was very impressive in most regards especially considering its price. I hear there's an update coming to allow 6 effects rather than the 3 the initial release offered (my biggest complaint about the unit was the lack of simultaneous effects) and some newer amp models. The original amps didn't offer a very good clean option but I hear the new amps in the G5 sound great clean. I don't think the effects are quite at the level of the GT-100, but much better in general than the HD500. However, pitch effects are mediocre IMHO. Again, I've heard a demo with harmonizing using a G series which sounds great, but in a side by side comparison pitch effects are better on all the competitors units.

Of the choices you mention, if headphone operation is more important I'd definitely go with the HD. If effects are more important, I'd go with the GT-100. For the best balance, the G probably wins out.