PDA

View Full Version : 500T Humbucker in a PRS?

jekylmeister
05-21-2012, 09:23 PM
I've got a PRS Custom 24 which is somewhat subdued, volume wise, compared to my LP and Explorer. Has anyone put a Gibson 500T into the bridge position of this PRS? I love this pickup on my Explorer and am fantasizing that it might give it some serious ooomph. I don't dislike the pickups in my PRS at all, but I love the rock sound that this 500 gives me while talking to the Marshall.
Advice?

jekylmeister
05-22-2012, 06:41 PM
Come on guys! Nothing? I'm not that innovative.

Joe Pazuzu
05-22-2012, 06:48 PM
Come on guys! Nothing? I'm not that innovative.

It sounds like someone lowered the pickup height on your PRS.

I say this because my PRS CU24 cuts through the mix considerably better than either my LP or SG. The Dragon/HFS pair are a lively set of pickups.

First thing is check the pickup height in relation to your strings. The lower the pickups relative to the strings, the less output you'll get out of the pickups.

I assume you are using either the neck or bridge pickup with volume and tone maxed on the PRS to make the comparison.

SFW
05-22-2012, 06:50 PM
If you're interested I have a 500T that I would trade you for your PRS pickup..

Ruraltom
05-22-2012, 06:52 PM
I'd probably try a 498 before a 500.

That being said, the PRS HFS (Hot Fat and Screams) is a great pickup for those needs and keeps it in the family....

jekylmeister
05-22-2012, 07:38 PM
My pickup height is fine, thanks.
If I were to put a 500T in there, I'd certainly keep the original in case I need it in the future to make it stock.
I don't know....the 500 is bad ass. As I said, I think the HFS is a great sounding pickup, but, again, the output and raw punch of the 500 really speaks to me.
On the other hand, I've got a well equipped PRS, as well as a LP with Burstbuckers, and an Explorer with these hot monsters in it. I should have pretty much everything covered. Not sure why I can't be satisfied with the variety.......
FWIW, the PRS is my 'strat' go to guitar, with whammy and coil split. It's very versatile, but I'm adolescent enough to dig the power chords coming off those Gibson HB's.....
always was a power chord guy. How else can I do Paul Kossoff justice?

Guitarworks
05-22-2012, 09:07 PM
I like the 500T's aggressive sound. I've had a couple guitars with those in the bridge. I got a great recorded sound in the studio with them as well. I suspect it would do well in your PRS.

sleepingtiger
05-22-2012, 09:36 PM
The original Tremonti pickup is very similar to a 500T. I remember reading an interview where he said that prior to his signature PRS, the 500T was his favorite pickup.

Tony

jekylmeister
05-22-2012, 09:41 PM
You know, I don't want to stoop to cliche' , but that 500, talking to my Marshall half stack, is something that defies argument. They are simply communicating with each other and it's a seriously nice groove. I don't know how else to describe it. It makes the sound that you find in wikipedia under "ROCK". I've had a number of guitars and when I brought this one in and plugged/played it, my other guitarist in the band said "that sounds right". nuff said.

Joe Pazuzu
05-23-2012, 11:02 AM
You know, I don't want to stoop to cliche' , but that 500, talking to my Marshall half stack, is something that defies argument. They are simply communicating with each other and it's a seriously nice groove. I don't know how else to describe it. It makes the sound that you find in wikipedia under "ROCK". I've had a number of guitars and when I brought this one in and plugged/played it, my other guitarist in the band said "that sounds right". nuff said.

Why not put the 500T in one of your Gibsons and leave the PRS alone?

I don't think you've really learned to appreciate the PRS you have. It's not a Gibson, it's not meant to sound exactly like a Gibson. PRS has a vibe of its own, with roots in Gibson.

The 500T is a ceramic pickup. Its raunchy. If you like that, great, but please put it in a LP or SG.

johnmfer
05-23-2012, 12:16 PM
I tried googling it, but what are the specs on a 500T (what wire used, wound to what DC resistance)?

EDIT: I'm seeing possibly 15K. That would indicate 43AWG wire. Add a ceramic magnet, you know what you have? PRS HFS. 15K, 43awg, ceramic. You'll likely not notice much of a difference at all.

IMHO the HFS is a very hot and aggressive pickup, I can't imagine needing anything hotter, ever. Maybe there's something wrong with your wiring, a bad pot or some portion of the hot signal touching the ground that shouldn't be.

Joe Pazuzu
05-23-2012, 03:32 PM
I tried googling it, but what are the specs on a 500T (what wire used, wound to what DC resistance)?

EDIT: I'm seeing possibly 15K. That would indicate 43AWG wire. Add a ceramic magnet, you know what you have? PRS HFS. 15K, 43awg, ceramic. You'll likely not notice much of a difference at all.

IMHO the HFS is a very hot and aggressive pickup, I can't imagine needing anything hotter, ever. Maybe there's something wrong with your wiring, a bad pot or some portion of the hot signal touching the ground that shouldn't be.

HFS has a ceramic magnet? How about the Dragon II?

I know it's a very mean pair of pickups. To get more "aggresive" you'd need to go with active pickups.

Most Gibson people tend to hate the 500T.

AParrotLooksAt4O
05-23-2012, 04:05 PM
Go with a '57 Classic. Can get the vintage PAF tones in spades and still has enough output to handle "modern" stuff. Win/Win IMO

rschleicher
05-23-2012, 04:23 PM
I guess one question is what year your CU24 is. The 2010 and older ones mostly have Vintage Bass and HFS Treble pups - the HFS is a fiarly high output pup with ceramic magnets and a winding resistance in the 15k range.

But 2011 (and 12) CU24's have 59/09 pups which are more vintage/PAF-sounding (alnico magnets and winding resistance in the 8-9k range). Then there are some 2010 and older limited-edition CU24's that might have something else. (The Dragon II's were mostly on CU22's, not the CU24's.)

As a side comment - HFS treble pups are pretty inexpensive on e-bay, but the 59/09's command a pretty high price.

Joe Pazuzu
05-23-2012, 04:27 PM
I guess one question is what year your CU24 is. The 2010 and older ones mostly have Vintage Bass and HFS Treble pups - the HFS is a fiarly high output pup with ceramic magnets and a winding resistance in the 15k range.

But 2011 (and 12) CU24's have 59/09 pups which are more vintage/PAF-sounding (alnico magnets and winding resistance in the 8-9k range). Then there are some 2010 and older limited-edition CU24's that might have something else. (The Dragon II's were mostly on CU22's, not the CU24's.)

As a side comment - HFS treble pups are pretty inexpensive on e-bay, but the 59/09's command a pretty high price.

When it comes to PRS, what is "vintage"? Copied pickups from Les Pauls from the 50s? To me, that is a dumb idea. PRS guitars don't sound exactly like their Gibson counterpart, why try to make them sound more like Gibson, then their own PRS sound? The CU24 came out 30 years after the Les Paul, are they trying to share in the Les Paul's history?

Vintage PRS should mean something like PRS was in 1985, not what Gibson was in 1955.

johnmfer
05-23-2012, 05:57 PM

Not sure about the Dragon 2. But yes, HFS is ceramic.

http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae168/vintageprsguitars/pickup3.jpg

Joe Pazuzu
05-23-2012, 06:15 PM
Not sure about the Dragon 2. But yes, HFS is ceramic.

http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae168/vintageprsguitars/pickup3.jpg

Insane numbers on the HFS Treble and Dragon Treble (15K & 19K). No wonder my PRS sounds like it does vs my LP and SG.

I can't imagine someone wanting higher output than that. Only options would be "distortion" pickups and active pickups.

Might be interesting to see a similar list for the new PRS pickups. I have no experience with the narrow field pickups.

58/07? Who comes up with these names? Even "Dragon" was better. More "traditional"? PRS has been around since 1985. I don't get the push to sound like Gibson.

Kelly
05-23-2012, 06:23 PM

I know it's a very mean pair of pickups. To get more "aggresive" you'd need to go with active pickups.

Most Gibson people tend to hate the 500T.Most PRS people hate Dragon IIs, including me...

Joe Pazuzu
05-23-2012, 06:30 PM
Most PRS people hate Dragon IIs, including me...

Interesting. They were the standard for PRS for years. Now we have the push to sound more like Gibson, which I don't understand. I don't really get the narrow field pickups either. If they don't catch on now, they will be viewed as a folly years hence. Some might say the same thing about the shadow birds.

I guess I prefer the old school PRS.

jekylmeister
05-23-2012, 07:49 PM
Wow, it's amazing how these threads go down rabbit holes.......
To Joe: I fully appreciate what my PRS does. I totally dig the HFS and its sound. I have no complaints about its sound. I AM a Gibson guy and I totally dig the 500 in the bridge position of my Explorer, which is where this all started. My Custom 24 is a 2000 model.
I probably won't change out the pickup, but simply wondered what it might sound like.
Thanks for all the great comments.

DRS
05-24-2012, 09:45 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but I remember reading that the rout depth in a PRS guitars is too shallow for a Gibson HB.

johnmfer
05-24-2012, 10:41 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but I remember reading that the rout depth in a PRS guitars is too shallow for a Gibson HB.
You might be right. I just measured a PRS pickup and a Gibson pickup, the Gibson had 14mm long legs but the PRS was only 10.

On my Custom 22 I have the pickup lowered all the way down to where it's just barely hanging on the screw threads, but the top of the pickup is still above the top of the mounting ring. If the legs were 4mm longer, the top of the pickup would be mashed against the strings. I love that guitar dearly, but wish the PRS pickup legs were more like 0 mm so I could actually adjust the pickup.