PDA

View Full Version : Jersey girl guitars

samdjr74
05-22-2012, 08:48 PM
Hi All,

So Stashman's recent emporium thread has me drooling over the keyboard as usual but the one that sticks out is the Jersey Girl.

I know they are made by 2 people somewhere in Japan and I also know that new they can cost more then my 1st and 2nd car combined. So I'm wondering, besides the used market is their anyone else doing something similiar?

And when I mean similar I mean the inlay work, it reminds me of Native American art work.

I'm just so fascinated by these guitars I even got my wife excited about it!!!

Sam

stashman
05-22-2012, 10:03 PM
Great article on Jersey Girl guitars here:
http://nipponscape.com/2009/03/03/jerseygirl/
and they are sold here:
http://www.bostonguitar.com/products-page/jersey-girl-guitars/

Pedro58
05-22-2012, 10:10 PM
I've admired their stuff for years. The website is the only place I've seen them.

rcalcutta
05-22-2012, 10:16 PM
Stashman has me thinking about that guitar too. He is a very dangerous person.

samdjr74
05-23-2012, 05:32 AM
Well I have a pretty nasty exam I need to take next week for work. If I pass and Scott still has the Jersey Girl I might need to pick her up as a reward to myself.

beorn
05-23-2012, 09:28 AM
If I pass and Scott still has the Jersey Girl I might need to pick her up as a reward to myself.

Just don't name her "Snooki."

Bryan Jeppson
05-23-2012, 10:05 AM
If they were really Jersey Girl guitars, all the inlays would be fake leopard skin. Trust me, I have to walk among them.

samdjr74
05-23-2012, 11:45 AM
Ok, off topic rant.

And it's not an angry rant at anyone here, just a rant about the crap on TV.

I am from an Italian brack ground. I was born and raised in NJ and still live here today. I do not hang out in a tanning booth to match the color of small chocolate makers in Willy Wonka's factory. I don't "fist pump" I don't have teased or frosted hair and I don't drive an iroc z even though I did own a black Trans Am which was just mean.

Snooki and the rest of the NJ shore cast can go back to NY where they came from. I don't think any of them are from NJ.

Ok, rant over, back to guitars.

Just don't name her "Snooki."

snarkle
05-23-2012, 12:36 PM
I've been drooling over Stashman's guitar, too, but don't feel that I deserve a reward at the present moment...although my birthday is coming up.

If it were an "Audrey" it would already be on its way here.

http://www.geocities.jp/jerseygirlhg/aindex.htm

"Kalexer" belongs to a friend of mine with a VERY fine guitar collection, and ranks with the best of them.

r9player
05-23-2012, 12:41 PM
I've been drooling over their guitars for a long time, never had the money to get one. Closest I got was one of their pedals.

beorn
05-23-2012, 04:39 PM
I am from an Italian background. I was born and raised in NJ and still live here today. I do not hang out in a tanning booth to match the color of small chocolate makers in Willy Wonka's factory. I don't "fist pump" I don't have teased or frosted hair and I don't drive an iroc z even though I did own a black Trans Am which was just mean.

"Right there with you," said the sixth-generation Texan who does not ride a horse, shoot varmints, or vote for Republicans.

urizen
05-23-2012, 05:39 PM
For me, it's Grace (w/ P-90s)!!

Rod
05-25-2012, 07:32 PM
Samdjr. That whole Snooky show has really unfairly stereotyped Italian American New Jersey folks. The Sopranos didn't help either.

samdjr74
05-25-2012, 07:53 PM
Agreed but fictional shows about mobster based in NJ is ok and "entertaining" where as reality shows based on a bunch of drunk kids who purposely over act is another thing. I know the town of Sea Side is still kicking themselves for letting mtv in to tape this garbage.

Samdjr. That whole Snooky show has really unfairly stereotyped Italian American New Jersey folks. The Sopranos didn't help either.

grooveht
05-26-2012, 08:49 PM
I come from Paramus, and would more happily take the Sopranos stereotype than the Jersey Shore one. Am I far off on that one?

beorn
05-26-2012, 09:30 PM
I come from Paramus, and would more happily take the Sopranos stereotype than the Jersey Shore one. Am I far off on that one?

The Jersy Shore stereotype seems unaware of any larger, more interesting reality than itself.

I'm not sure the Jersey Shore stereotype has learned to tell time, even.

The Sopranos, on the other hand, featured a dinner scene in which Dr. Jennifer Melfi sat down with her husband and discussed the extent to which mobsters of Italian descent misrepresented all Americans of Italian descent to the larger culture.

samdjr74
05-27-2012, 03:58 AM
Good point, I remember years ago a co-worker of mine, who was young and clueless asked me if I was mobbed up. He was from West Virginia and never met anyone from "Jersey" before and heard that all Italians where in the mofia. Now I don't remeber if I was having a bad dayor if this guy just put me in a bad mood but I lost it. I started biting his head off stating my displeasure with the stereotype of my ethnic background and not only am I not in the mob but I'm not aware of any of my family memebers who are. I then asked him if his parents were siblings as he was from West Virgina, he didn't seem to like that one too much....

The Jersy Shore stereotype seems unaware of any larger, more interesting reality than itself.

I'm not sure the Jersey Shore stereotype has learned to tell time, even.

The Sopranos, on the other hand, featured a dinner scene in which Dr. Jennifer Melfi sat down with her husband and discussed the extent to which mobsters of Italian descent misrepresented all Americans of Italian descent to the larger culture.

beorn
05-27-2012, 09:51 AM
I then asked him if his parents were siblings as he was from West Virgina, he didn't seem to like that one too much....

Heh. I see West Virginia is to the northeast what Alabama is to the southeast.

You can actually see, in the very first scene of the Sopranos pilot, the collision of stereotype and reality. You have a sociopathic, murderous mobster waiting to see the super-educated, culturally-informed psychiatrist who drives a Saab.

Both are Italian Americans. But it's the mobster who needs help, and the psychiatrist from whom he hopes to get it.

ib2010
05-27-2012, 03:17 PM
Jersey Girl guitars have always had something interesting going on. Kudos to the builders for having a cool attitude to their work.

samdjr74
05-27-2012, 03:46 PM
I like the fact that they are hand made by two people. To me that really means something.

Jersey Girl guitars have always had something interesting going on. Kudos to the builders for having a cool attitude to their work.

scott
05-27-2012, 04:19 PM
Love these guitars...Im not fond of the wood covers on the trems but the overall vibe is so cool. I love how hes got that art deco thing going on with the pickups. Super unique and artsy(in a good way:-)

mototpsychel
05-28-2012, 05:55 AM
Ok, off topic rant.

Snooki and the rest of the NJ shore cast can go back to NY where they came from. I don't think any of them are from NJ.

Ok, rant over, back to guitars.

Oh Jersey is so misrepresented, were not like that all. These stereotypes are so unfair to us. Must be those New Yorkers.

Right, dump it all on NY. Typical of the mindset of the rest of the country (in general) towards NY. Seems to these old eyes that you're guilty of the very thing your crying about.

OK, reply rant over, back to guitars.

I did play a Jersey Girl and visually they have much more of a visceral impact than the pictures can even hint at. Acousticaly, it plays like a top level guitar, but I did not have the opportunity to plug it in.

Regards, from a life-long New Yorker.

samdjr74
05-28-2012, 09:54 AM
No offense towards NY, all I'm saying is that the entire cast of the NJ shore is from NY except for 1 person I think. So the NJ stereotype that is portrayed on the show is complete crap in a sense that none of them are from the Garden State.

Oh and just one last thing, Devils rule, Rangers suck!!!

:Devil

Oh Jersey is so misrepresented, were not like that all. These stereotypes are so unfair to us. Must be those New Yorkers.

Right, dump it all on NY. Typical of the mindset of the rest of the country (in general) towards NY. Seems to these old eyes that you're guilty of the very thing your crying about.

OK, reply rant over, back to guitars.

I did play a Jersey Girl and visually they have much more of a visceral impact than the pictures can even hint at. Acousticaly, it plays like a top level guitar, but I did not have the opportunity to plug it in.

Regards, from a life-long New Yorker.

HGuitarCraft
05-28-2012, 05:20 PM
Maybe I'm just silly, but I'm pretty confident that, in comparison to the epicness that is Jersey Girl guitars, stereotypes don't matter much... I mean, I'd much rather be from Chi-cay-go by da lake and play-een a Jersey Girl than just about anything... XD

mototpsychel
05-28-2012, 05:53 PM
No offense towards NY, all I'm saying is that the entire cast of the NJ shore is from NY except for 1 person I think. So the NJ stereotype that is portrayed on the show is complete crap in a sense that none of them are from the Garden State.

Oh and just one last thing, Devils rule, Rangers suck!!!

:Devil

I've never watched the show, know where they come from, or care.

Same with hockey.

urizen
05-28-2012, 06:00 PM
I pity the poor OP; he innocently solicited comments on a guitar and watched his thread get pulled through the Bizarro membrane and into an alternative, competing (and oddly self-sustaining) narrative* that had/has nothing to do with his first post.

* the score is 14 off topic to 11 on topic (I'm not counting this one---but my prior was on the Jersey Girl Grace model, which is a thing of beauty in black---like a re-imagined non cutaway electric L-5).

Telefan
05-28-2012, 06:53 PM
I pity the poor OP; he innocently solicited comments on a guitar and watched his thread get pulled through the Bizarro membrane and into an alternative, competing (and oddly self-sustaining) narrative* that had/has nothing to do with his first post.

* the score is 14 off topic to 11 on topic (I'm not counting this one---but my prior was on the Jersey Girl Grace model, which is a thing of beauty in black---like a re-imagined non cutaway electric L-5).

I've been thinking exactly the same thing. Those Jersey Girls are wonderful - it's fun just focusing on them!

samdjr74
05-29-2012, 05:44 AM
Just joking, didn't mean any malice by it

I've never watched the show, know where they come from, or care.

Same with hockey.

samdjr74
05-29-2012, 05:52 AM
I think part of the derail was my rant about the NJ Shore. But let's get back on track.

So when I first saw a Jersey Girl guitar I thought that they were made in the mid west by someone with Native American roots. I was surprised to find out they are made in Japan. Considering they are hand made I really don't have an issue with their country of origin but I was wondering of anyone else does this type of inlay?

New, I think they are out of reach of many buyers and I hardly ever seem them come up for sale on the used market which means 1 of 2 things, either people love them and don't let them go or there aren't many around to begin with. Even doing a search on here will bring up a few threads talking about them but very little info on how they play and I've only found one video of a sound clip, which by the way sounded great even though it was recorded with a camcorder mic.

I've been thinking exactly the same thing. Those Jersey Girls are wonderful - it's fun just focusing on them!

snarkle
05-29-2012, 10:44 AM
I guess it's okay when the OP derails his own thread...it's not like I haven't done the same!

Back to the guitars: the one I played was immaculately built and immaculately set-up. As I noted, it was an "Audrey", so more or less a single-coil Les Paul. The Jersey Girl pickups were in the P-90 camp, but a little sweeter and more Strat-like than the usual P-90s; more Lollar than vintage Gibson, you could also say. The ash body probably contributed to the Fenderish vibe, too.

I loved everything about that guitar, and should probably stop pestering the owner to sell it to me.

:)

samdjr74
05-29-2012, 12:57 PM
Good to know, thanks for the info.

Hopefully if all goes well I'll be buying one tomorrow, have my fingers crossed.

I guess it's okay when the OP derails his own thread...it's not like I haven't done the same!

Back to the guitars: the one I played was immaculately built and immaculately set-up. As I noted, it was an "Audrey", so more or less a single-coil Les Paul. The Jersey Girl pickups were in the P-90 camp, but a little sweeter and more Strat-like than the usual P-90s; more Lollar than vintage Gibson, you could also say. The ash body probably contributed to the Fenderish vibe, too.

I loved everything about that guitar, and should probably stop pestering the owner to sell it to me.

:)

snarkle
05-29-2012, 01:06 PM
Hopefully if all goes well I'll be buying one tomorrow.

Are you buying Stashman's?

HGuitarCraft
05-29-2012, 04:30 PM
Speaking of Jersey Girl guitars... here's one in action! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ht_rpWr7nbU&feature=relmfu

It's so... tasty...

samdjr74
05-30-2012, 04:36 AM
That's the plan. It's a treat to myself if I pass this exam at work, which takes place in 5 hours.

Are you buying Stashman's?

samdjr74
05-30-2012, 04:37 AM
Very cool, I saw this one as well as a couple others by the same guy. But other then that I haven't found anything else on youtube related to these guitars.

Speaking of Jersey Girl guitars... here's one in action! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ht_rpWr7nbU&feature=relmfu

It's so... tasty...

Telefan
05-30-2012, 08:02 AM
That's the plan. It's a treat to myself if I pass this exam at work, which takes place in 5 hours.

I'm sending you good vibes on that test. That's some incentive you're giving yourself. Right on!

samdjr74
05-30-2012, 08:27 AM
Thanks, one hour til the test

I'm sending you good vibes on that test. That's some incentive you're giving yourself. Right on!

snarkle
05-30-2012, 02:07 PM
Good luck with the test!

samdjr74
05-30-2012, 02:20 PM
Thanks, I took it a few hours ago and passed

Good luck with the test!

HGuitarCraft
05-30-2012, 11:03 PM
Time for a new guitar! Yay! :) I don't know about y'all, but I can be operantly conditioned with guitars...

Telefan
05-31-2012, 12:04 PM
Thanks, I took it a few hours ago and passed

Right on!!!!!!! I'm happy for you.

snarkle
07-06-2012, 03:14 PM
So...how did the Jersey Girl work out for you?

samdjr74
07-06-2012, 06:42 PM
"Snooki" is doing fine hanging out in Jersey lol

Seriously it's an incredible guitar. Plays great, sounds like no other single coil I've ever had, hot but warm and controllable, and the 5 way really gives me a lot of range.

Not one bad thing to say about her which I usually have some complaint about a guitar but not this one.

But I still need to find out where they came up with the name Jersey Girl when they are all the way over in Japan????:bonk

So...how did the Jersey Girl work out for you?

stashman
07-06-2012, 06:45 PM

Seriously it's an incredible guitar. Plays great, sounds like no other single coil I've ever had, hot but warm and controllable, and the 5 way really gives me a lot of range.

Not one bad thing to say about her which I usually have some complaint about a guitar but not this one.

But I still need to find out where they came up with the name Jersey Girl when they are all the way over in Japan????:bonk

Glad to hear that you're still enjoying her.
Scott

BG Loft
07-06-2012, 11:25 PM

She seems to be in the "right city" now..

samdjr74
07-07-2012, 01:55 PM
Thanks Scott, this one is a keeper and I have no plans of letting her go

Glad to hear that you're still enjoying her.
Scott

emjee
07-07-2012, 07:16 PM
:worthless

stashman
07-07-2012, 07:20 PM
I'll jump in - Here's Snooki!
http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr209/stashman61/P1000780-1.jpg
http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr209/stashman61/P1000784-1.jpg
http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr209/stashman61/P1000781-1.jpg
http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr209/stashman61/P1000782-1.jpg

samdjr74