PDA

View Full Version : Line 6 M9 // Share Your Delay Settings? 2012 version...

tinkercity
05-29-2012, 01:26 PM
I know there are some pretty deep threads on the M9 and settings, but I was hoping to see some updated settings for delays. Not that an M9 will sound like a Timeline or an El Capistan, but just wondering what y'all are using these days.

Cheers!
M.

RockStarNick
05-29-2012, 02:37 PM
I just picked up an M9 a little while ago, and haven't dove in too deep. This would be a great thread.

tinkercity
05-30-2012, 11:10 AM
:munch

thekeefus
05-30-2012, 11:12 AM
I had a M13 and sold it. Just got a M5 that came in today, but I haven't had a chance to dig into settings yet.

tinkercity
05-30-2012, 12:00 PM
Basically looking to see what guys are using for delays to keep up with what the Stymon stuff does. Doesn't seem to be a lot of action fwiw.

weshunter
05-30-2012, 12:07 PM
i'm interested in this too

southbeck
05-30-2012, 01:23 PM
One standard digital delay, one slapback, one digital or analog with mod and long feedback.I don't see how a delay can get much better then the m9.

tinkercity
05-30-2012, 01:56 PM
Anyone have cool settings they love?

sunken.anchor
05-30-2012, 03:07 PM
I don't have exact settings right now, but here are some things I do:
I used to have a DMM and always ran the modulation in Vibrato mode. I have never really liked the way the M9's DMM model sounds, mostly because I could never dial in the modulation the way I wanted. Lately I have been much happier runing a pitch vibrato in front of the Analog Delay w/ Mod model.

The closest I have come to TimeLine's punchiness and lushness is by running a Boost Comp (w/ slight boost to the high end) into the Analog Delay w/ Mod model. The Boost Comp really makes things come alive.

For slapback, I prefer the Echo setting in the Reverb models to any of the delays except for maybe Multi-Head. I don't usually go for true slapback, though... more of a rockabilly thing... somewhere around 100ms to where you can actually hear the repeat(s).

To add some lushness to the Auto-Swell, I stick the Digital w/ Mod model after the Auto Swell. This makes it seem a lot more 3d.
But I have to say this--I have both the M9 and a TimeLine on my board, and the above "tricks" notwithstanding, the M9 sounds like a toy compared to the TimeLine. I prefer the M9's looper and auto-swell (as well as reverb, but a more fair comparison would be against the Blue Sky), but the sonic difference between the M9 and TimeLine was shocking to me.

WoweeZowee
05-30-2012, 03:16 PM
For slapback, I prefer the Echo setting in the Reverb models to any of the delays

This. Love the Echo reverb for when I'm trying to rip off Gilmour on slide.

weshunter
05-30-2012, 03:21 PM

i'm going to have to check that out, it never occurred to me

tinkercity
05-30-2012, 03:34 PM
I don't have exact settings right now, but here are some things I do:
I used to have a DMM and always ran the modulation in Vibrato mode. I have never really liked the way the M9's DMM model sounds, mostly because I could never dial in the modulation the way I wanted. Lately I have been much happier runing a pitch vibrato in front of the Analog Delay w/ Mod model.

The closest I have come to TimeLine's punchiness and lushness is by running a Boost Comp (w/ slight boost to the high end) into the Analog Delay w/ Mod model. The Boost Comp really makes things come alive.

For slapback, I prefer the Echo setting in the Reverb models to any of the delays except for maybe Multi-Head. I don't usually go for true slapback, though... more of a rockabilly thing... somewhere around 100ms to where you can actually hear the repeat(s).

To add some lushness to the Auto-Swell, I stick the Digital w/ Mod model after the Auto Swell. This makes it seem a lot more 3d.
But I have to say this--I have both the M9 and a TimeLine on my board, and the above "tricks" notwithstanding, the M9 sounds like a toy compared to the TimeLine. I prefer the M9's looper and auto-swell (as well as reverb, but a more fair comparison would be against the Blue Sky), but the sonic difference between the M9 and TimeLine was shocking to me.

Wow. I assumed the Stymon stuff sounded better but --- that much better?

Dig the settings. Keep Em' coming!

JacksonCarter
05-30-2012, 03:39 PM
i have several analog delays, a dd20, a timefactor, an m13, and 2 m9s... the M series delays are inferior by quite a bit to all the others, but definitely useable...

tinkercity
05-30-2012, 03:59 PM
i have several analog delays, a dd20, a timefactor, an m13, and 2 m9s... the M series delays are inferior by quite a bit to all the others, but definitely useable...

How would you say they are inferior? Legitimately curious :) It's funny, when I was writing this post, I said in my head "you're gonna wind up trying to buy strymon stuff at the end of this..."

dwolfggc
05-30-2012, 04:35 PM
I've had an m13, an m9, and now have an hd500 and a dd20. Just got a timeline.
Granted I've only had the timeline for two days but so far I wouldn't say that it makes everything else sound like a toy. In fact I would say that the dd20 and even the line 6 stuff holds up pretty well. Obviously the feature sets are different and each unit has its own unique sound but the basic delays sound good all around. just my opinion of course.

tinkercity
05-30-2012, 04:51 PM
Granted I've only had the timeline for two days but so far I wouldn't say that it makes everything else sound like a toy. In fact I would say that the dd20 and even the line 6 stuff holds up pretty well. Obviously the feature sets are different and each unit has its own unique sound but the basic delays sound good all around. just my opinion of course.

Thanks for the realistic post. Ya, I've thought the same thing. Wouldn't mind moving over to a Timeline, but I also use reverb and tremolo in my M9.

sunken.anchor
05-30-2012, 05:33 PM
Wow. I assumed the Stymon stuff sounded better but --- that much better?
Maybe "like a toy" was a little harsh and a bit hyperbolic. But the TimeLine sounds very noticeably better to me. That's not to say that there aren't some good sounds in the M9. As I said, the M9 is on my board and isn't leaving any time soon. Strictly in terms of the delay sounds, both units are useable, no question. But to me, the TimeLine sounds like a more expensive unit.

Some people have an "oh wow!" moment when they upgrade to nice cables or adding a buffer or taking a tone-sucking pedal out of the signal chain or whatever. For me, my "oh wow" moment came when I started to use the TimeLine compared to my experience with the M9, and before that, a DL-4. I did not expect to be that blown away, but I was.

I've said this before, but I think one of the biggest problems with the M-series is the default presets. Very few of them were "ready to use" for my personal tastes. (There are probably some exceptions, but generally speaking, this has been my experience.) I think Strymon put their best foot forward by making all the TimeLine presets really useable and great-sounding. I know that is really subjective, because not everyone is after the really soupy/atmospheric delay sounds, but I totally am. So for me, that's part of why the TimeLine seems SO much better than the M9.

So while the M9 is not a bad unit, I stand by my assertion that the TimeLine is better. :stir :D

tinkercity
05-30-2012, 08:13 PM
Man... Reading up on the Timeline and it's a dark hole lol. Afraid to fall in! As it stands, switching to a Timeline from an M9 would require a separate reverb pedal (wet) and a tremolo. Yikes! Not so sure it sounds thaaaat good ;)

Back to topic --- anyone have specific delay settings they LOVE? I'll post mine when I get near the board.

tinkercity
05-31-2012, 12:23 PM

mesa/boogieman
05-31-2012, 12:55 PM

I've never done this but I'm going to tonight!

I use very basic delay. Most time I use the tape echo with dry through (so it's not so pronounced since I don't have effect loop.) I set one at 100ms for slapback and another at 600ms (with the mixed turned up a bit) to get a good solo for guitar solos.

Lot of times for texture I use the standard U2/The Edge setting. Digital delay set to 8th note triplets and use tap tempo to synch with bpm of song that we're playing.

thekeefus
05-31-2012, 12:58 PM
I used a DL4 for about a decade, then a M13 for a little while. I finally moved over to a Timeline. I haven't had it for very long, but I would agree the difference between the M13 delays and the Timeline delays is pretty striking. I still have a M5, but not so much for delays. Too me the Line 6 delays sound thin and digital by comparison. I use the M5 for weird filters and such.

sascha
05-31-2012, 06:24 PM

+1 ... had a DL-4 and M9 in the past, moved to Timeline and hat to get a M5 in addition. The Timeline, while sounding more three-dimensional and less "cardboardy" then the Line6 boxes, just could not replicate what the Line6 "Tube Echo Dry Thru" and "Auto Volume Echo" models do.

UY45HV5IX5c

Ix-pXLgPLYY

Timeline and M5 are a very nice combination, complement each other well, can also be combined nicely:

7CvhY5r2vJY

tinkercity
06-01-2012, 01:41 PM
Thanks for those! You know, it's interesting that in listening to an M9 board vs. a Timeline board on YouTube does have a difference --- I can hear the original note and delayed note much clearer with the Strymon stuff.... Ughhhhh. No more pedals! :bonk

sascha
06-01-2012, 02:03 PM
IMO, on the Timeline, a.) the dry part of the signal is altered less and b.) the repeats will always come closer to the original note than on the Line6 devices. Which is not necessary always good. If you want clear, three-dimensional repeats of your original signal, Strymon wins. (Or Empress Superdelay, that doesn't have an analog dry path, but does pristine clear repeats equally well). If you want darker repeats and some moderate modulation, Strymon wins, too.

However, if you want a strong separation between dry signal = foreground and wet signal = background; if you want repeats that move away from the dry signals bandwidth a major step with every repeat (i.e. that go 80% -> 60% -> 45% -> 35% of bandwidth rather than 98% - 96% - 94% - 92%); if you want strong cutting of the low end similar to an old tube echoplex, without getting harsh and bright: Then the Line6 Tube Echo wins IMHO.

Edit: 500 posts ... woohoo ;-)

tinkercity
06-01-2012, 02:54 PM
IMO, on the Timeline, a.) the dry part of the signal is altered less and b.) the repeats will always come closer to the original note than on the Line6 devices. Which is not necessary always good. If you want clear, three-dimensional repeats of your original signal, Strymon wins. (Or Empress Superdelay, that doesn't have an analog dry path, but does pristine clear repeats equally well). If you want darker repeats and some moderate modulation, Strymon wins, too.

However, if you want a strong separation between dry signal = foreground and wet signal = background; if you want repeats that move away from the dry signals bandwidth a major step with every repeat (i.e. that go 80% -> 60% -> 45% -> 35% of bandwidth rather than 98% - 96% - 94% - 92%); if you want strong cutting of the low end similar to an old tube echoplex, without getting harsh and bright: Then the Line6 Tube Echo wins IMHO.

Edit: 500 posts ... woohoo ;-)

Totally. I am of course now jonsing for for clearer tones...

tinkercity
06-02-2012, 12:00 PM

stratchamp57
08-03-2012, 07:13 AM
Bump. More delay settings please!

Roe
08-03-2012, 07:38 AM
On my M5 I use basically the same settings as on my old DL4:
- time from 160ms (for slap back) to 4-500ms (quarter notes) to 1s
- 1 to 3 repeats most of the time, occasionally 7+ repeats

I like the EP1, EP3, Spaceecho (heads 1 and 3), Memory man

clark
08-03-2012, 08:20 AM
I've been a long time m9 user. had one and used constantly from when they 1st came out. I just got the m9 mod by jhv3. I use the m9 mostly as a delay box. I think the mod really upgraded the pedals sound, got rid of the digital cloud around the notes and makes it sound more pure. At gig volume levels, it seemed more lush to me too. Im going to start trying out more sounds now, like using the drives even, as the mod really has openened the pedal up for me. I played with a guy last week that had Timeline and had it cranked up for most of the set. Even though it did have some amazing ambiance , it didn't make me think I just had to go out and get one, although I definaty think it is a "step up" for some things. With that said, after the mod I'm very content with the m9 for features functionality AND tone. One man's opinion...

tinkercity
08-03-2012, 12:36 PM
OP here. I ended up moving on to the Strymon Timeline and Flint. Couldn't be happier tonally. There is a steep learning curve and a lot of work to get what you want, but it's worth it. The dry analog through tone is worth the price of admission IMHO.

stratchamp57
08-03-2012, 12:37 PM
OP here. I ended up moving on to the Strymon Timeline and Flint. Couldn't be happier tonally. There is a steep learning curve and a lot of work to get what you want, but it's worth it. The dry analog through tone is worth the price of admission IMHO.

Nice, glad you're enjoying it.

fretbuzzed
08-03-2012, 09:20 PM
i mainly use 1 scene with banks 3 and 4 set up for delays. I have bank 3 button 2 set up with tape echo for slapback around 120 milliseconds, bank3 button3 is tape echo set to dotted 8ths, bank 4 button3 is tape echo set to quarter notes, this way i can have a dual delay by stepping on bank 3&4 bottom buttons with 1 step. i also use them independently a lot so its a convenient spot. I have bank 4 button set up with dual dig delay with mod with a low depth and a fast rate, left side is set to dotted 8ths and the right is set to quarters for a clear pristine U2 effect. bank 3 button 1 is set to a sweep delay set to quarter notes just for some texture to add to the dual digital delay but i rarely use it.