PDA

View Full Version : J Backlund

pima1234
06-10-2012, 11:07 PM
Who here is still enjoying their J Backlund?

(I miss Chattanooga sometimes!)

big mike
06-11-2012, 08:41 AM
Never played one but I think he's got some really cool designs.

pima1234
06-11-2012, 09:59 PM
I like mine. It's a very cool and original guitar. Can't come around to those Lace pickups other than the Alumitones in my Carvin. The hipshot tuners and trem are incredible. The guitar itself is quite solid (and heavy) but feels great and is obviously built very well.

Doctor Morbius
06-14-2012, 10:10 PM
I don't own one and could probably never afford one, but his designs are fabulous.

Krayon
06-21-2012, 10:58 AM
I got my JBD-400 back in March and Its been nothing short of awesome, I did go with the newly reissued Chrome topped EMG 58s and Man was that ever a great choice.

I've played 9 gigs with her so far and have been very happy, no problems to speak of, shes been nothing but fun to play so far.. the feel is very solid like a les Paul but lighter. the sustain is sick. the pickups are meaty with a strong mids tone, a little bit like a SD JB but not quite as middy, it can cut through the band well. cleans up nicely, but is not as sparklely as a strat of course, I may replace the neck pickup with a 89 to have the coil tap option for a more mellow clean tone.
also, this is the EMG X system so everything is plug and play, no soldering at all. and I can change my pickup from the top of the guitar, never have to open the back cavity at all. this one was very well thought out.

Mines about 6.5 lbs. and made from solid mahogany with a set mahog. neck and Ebony fingerboard with the "fang" inlays, and I love the fat sidedots/bars, easy to see on a dark stage, I went with the Red metallic and Ivory scheme and the engine turned stainless steel accent.

Mine has the hipshot Locking keys, roller nut and a tremolo, which has been just as good as any Strat Plus/Ultra I've ever had reguarding any tuning issues. but I love the ability to change strings so quickly and without useing any allen wrenches or other tools. for a Blues/Rock player like myself, its works just fine.

the fretwork is done by PLEK, so its action is just perfect for me, smooth, low and fast. and Bruce spent some time with me to set the acton just where I wanted it. A beneifit of living close enough to the shop to spend a day there.

The snakeskin case gets stares a plenty! I can't tell you how many guys ask "Whats in the case" before i can even get to the stage. and then the eyes pop when I open the case. not to mention all the extra looks and questions I get about her after the gig. I've caught more than a few local Musicains turning green over her.

One things for sure, This guitar more so than any other I've owned, will be such a huge boost to your ego :D now Les Pauls and Strats are boring comparitively.

AND Bruce just recently told me that starting July 1st they are going to start offering Korean made versions for less than 1K.
he said he would be posting some stuff in the forums about it just prior to July 1st

pima1234
06-21-2012, 10:41 PM
Good choice on the pickups. I can highly recommend the 89R for neck, but I'd like to try an 89rx if there is such a thing. I just wish there was some way to achieve that tone and total lack of noise without the coloration. Lace Alumitones come close.

You're description that the guitar's heft feels like a LP is spot on. It's almost like a Tele meets LP (JBD-800 model).

The Hipshot locking tuners and trem are the best I've ever played.

I'll keep my eyes and ears open for the outsourced versions!

TomRichards
11-27-2012, 03:59 AM
I own the first JBD-800B bass. Can't put it down.

CyberFerret
11-27-2012, 04:08 AM
I LOVE the designs - wish I could afford one. That and a Malinoski are two 'out there' guitars that I would love to own someday.

I haven't heard the latest on their venture to get an Asian plant going - anyone got any updates on that? Those versions would certainly be within a lot of people's price range as compared to the US handmade ones...

John Backlund
11-27-2012, 06:45 AM
I LOVE the designs - wish I could afford one. That and a Malinoski are two 'out there' guitars that I would love to own someday.

I haven't heard the latest on their venture to get an Asian plant going - anyone got any updates on that? Those versions would certainly be within a lot of people's price range as compared to the US handmade ones...

They have a manufacturer in Korea lined up to build a number of Retronix 800's (JBD-800 in the U.S. version), I believe it is the Un-Sung Musical Instrument Company. I know they've sent them the prototypes to copy some time ago but I don't know the time frame for getting the first batch back other than their delivery time mentioned in the Kickstart project, which I think was March 2013 for those who pledged the amount to get a guitar.

I'm hoping that a few other JBD guitars can also be produced as a lower priced Retronix model to make them accessible to more people (including me). It may be just wishful thinking on my part, but I'd love to see a Retronix JBD-100, 400, and maybe even that 'crazy-ass-lawn-dart-from-space' Marz 6 as part of the import line too. I'm assuming that the Chattanooga-based JBD shop will also still be able to produce the original hand-built, custom versions of these guitars for those who may want them.

GibsonLives
06-03-2013, 02:25 PM
These things look absolutely stunning, and the descriptions by owners of their feel and playability has my GAS bubbling over. I particularly like the JBD200. Any updates on a more affordable line? Any owners here care to share pics of theirs? Thanks.
Steve

airportbar
06-03-2013, 02:49 PM
I'm hoping that a few other JBD guitars can also be produced as a lower priced Retronix model to make them accessible to more people (including me). It may be just wishful thinking on my part, but I'd love to see a Retronix JBD-100, 400, and maybe even that 'crazy-ass-lawn-dart-from-space' Marz 6 as part of the import line too. I'm assuming that the Chattanooga-based JBD shop will also still be able to produce the original hand-built, custom versions of these guitars for those who may want them.

As the designer, you don't get free guitars?

pima1234
06-03-2013, 06:05 PM
They really are excellent guitars.