PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Sound Amps Vintage 15 review

nbtrue
06-15-2012, 01:29 PM
I recently purchased a Vintage Sound Amps Vintage 15 (65 Princeton Reverb Style) and I'm so impressed I felt I should put out a review there. I'm not the greatest writer in the world so I'll do my best

I've owned quite a few amps in my days and I can pretty confidently say that it is my favorite amp I have ever owned. The thing has tone for days! It sounds incredible!! Takes pedals really well, but also sounds incredible just plugged straight into it. Its really the only amp I use now. I have one of the Eric Clapton Vibro-Champs that just came out and that thing definitely sounds great and is fun to play, but its kind of a one trick pony, plug in, turn it up and go to town. I also have a Super Reverb reissue, and it sounds pretty good for the reissues, but I really only use that for outdoor gigs at this point. I'm telling you I basically just use the Vintage 15 now. It sounds awesome, I can get nice cleans out of it or overdrive it to hell and back and it can handle it all. It gets loud enough to use at a jam session, and if I'm playing a gig I just mic it up. Super portable too. I could hop in a cab with it. Really I think it is the best sounding amp that I've ever owned (for me I prefer the tone of a good blackface amp). I'm not very good at describing sounds in words, but its just really warm and natural/organic sounding, with sort of a roundness to it??? Its got a real fullness to it too for only being a single 12". Again I'm horrible at describing sounds. I know those are very common terms, but thats what I can come up with. Its like the best sounding blackface I've ever heard. You know how people say that there are some old 60's Fenders that just have that magic tone? Well thats what it sounds like. Like the best 65 Princeton Reverb you've ever heard. I just hear it and its like the tone I've been always looking for. I can tell you 100% that this is the first amp that I have ever decided that I am never going to sell. This ones going to the grave with me hahaha!

One other thing I like about it is that I'm a bit more of a night owl than my wife, so she's goes to bed quite a bit earlier than me and thats basically when I do my practicing and I can turn it down and it still sounds good. I mean obviously it doesn't sound AS good as when its turned up, but its still got a good tone to it that I can be happy playing without getting yelled at hahaha!

I was really on the fence between getting the Vintage 15 or the Vintage 22 (Deluxe style) and I ended up going with the 15. I thought I may want the extra watts of the deluxe, but so far it hasn't bothered me. He does now offer a Vintage 20 which is still based on the princeton, just with 20 watts instead of 15 which I find interesting, he didn't offer that I don't think when I got mine. I'm so impressed with my amp though that I've already decided that I am going to get another one and maybe I'll just get the 22 then hahaha (although I've had my eye on replacing my super reverb too haha!)

What I was really impressed with was the customer service that Rick gives. Top notch all the way. I must have talked to him on the phone 10 times and he never rushed the call. On top of that I emailed him ALLLLL the time with questions and he always responded right away. He always took his time and listened to what I had to say. He always had great input too. I told him what my gear is, what style I play and he helped get the amp designed around what would work best for me.

Another thing that stands out about his customer service is that he will work with you to get you the exact amp you want. Example: I wanted the tolex on the amp to match my guitar, but what he had available was not going to work. He helped look for other examples on other sites and would email them to me. I ended up finding one on another site that I wanted to use, bought it and mailed it to him and he discounted the price on the amp for the difference.

Honestly I was probably a bit of a pain because I kept making different requests for different things that I wanted done to the amp, and he was always fine with it. He never said no. Literally the day he emailed me that it was done I decided I wanted to change the faceplate on it, and he was completely fine with it and got it done how I wanted in like 2-3 days and got it in the mail for me. Things like that really impressed me. Anything you want done to the amp he will make it happen how you want it. My amp is literally 100% custom one of a kind and exactly what I wanted.

Overall I couldn't be happier with the amp. It's by far the best sounding amp I've ever owned. If your looking to get a handwired remake of a blackface Fender I would give Rick at Vintage Sound Amps some serious consideration. I know that I'm going to be a repeat customer!!

Heres the pick that he sent me before he mailed it to me:

http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab72/nbtrue/Celtics-1.jpg

Zounds Perspex
06-15-2012, 01:38 PM
nice looking amp, and I'm sure it sounds good, too.

I have a Vintage Sound Vintage 40 - killer amp, it's getting used with the band even more than my '66 Vibrolux these days. Sounds fantastic and the few little hot-rod mods Rick made have given me some cool options to work with.

I'm thinking about putting together a little collection of different Princeton clones - I, too, am pretty solidly a blackface guy, but want a little variety within that sound for recording purposes, and the Vintage 15 is on my very short list.

fahrner
06-15-2012, 02:47 PM
Nice review. Great looking amp. Cool color.
Makes me want one.

jetstrat
06-15-2012, 02:49 PM
I have a Vintage Sound VS 50 head. 50 watt blackface with some mods. Incredible amp!!! Rick builds fantastic, toneful amps!!!

terrapin
06-15-2012, 02:50 PM
Very cool amp! Nice addition to have a separate Mids control on a PR circuit.

jimmybcool
06-15-2012, 03:05 PM
I am also a satisfied customer. I have the 22 Deluxe style. I also own two 66 BFDRs. All three are killer and have subtle differences (speakers, cabs, tubes, etc) but none is better than the other. Rick does great work.

nbtrue
06-15-2012, 04:58 PM
Zounds Perspex: I really want to replace my Super Reverb reissue with the Vintage 40 some day. Did you get yours with 4x10 or the 1x15?

Blues_N_Rock
06-15-2012, 08:44 PM
Nice amp nbtrue. rick is one patient amp builder. i asked him tons of questions but not once was he slow with responding (via e-mail). i have his super reverb model. great amp. heavy as hell though. he doesn't advertise fender brown amps but when he does (hopefully one day) i will definitely consider it. his normal channel in the super reverb model is somewhat configured as a brown/tweed amp (if you want), but i want that thick lush tremolo like a true brown princeton amp.

joesnewmatch
06-15-2012, 09:49 PM
I've been on vacation for about 10 days, about 15 minutes from VS. Emailed VS about checking out the amps locally when I got to town. I am very interested in PR style amps. Leaving tomorrow. No response all week. What a shame. I would have liked to have tried one just like the OP. Sounds great on paper, but I've never seen or heard one in person. Enjoy!

Vintage Sound
06-15-2012, 10:08 PM
If this is Joe, I responded last Friday? See below:

Fri, June 8, 2012 5:20:50 PM
Re: WEBSITE MESSAGE: Store?

View ContactTo:Joe XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Hi Joe,

I have a couple of finished amps in the shop and a distributor in Pensacola. I am about 10-12 miles from Navarre. Give me a call in the morning for directions if you have time and I would be happy to have you come by the shop.

Thanks,
Rick
Vintage Sound Amps, Inc
850-261-8108
Check out our new website at:
www.vintagesoundamps.com (http://www.vintagesoundamps.com/)

To: vintagesoundamps@gmail.com
Sent: Fri, June 8, 2012 5:09:59 PM
Subject: WEBSITE MESSAGE: Store?

Subject: Store?

Message Body:
I'm in Navarre for a week. Do you have a store or show room in the area? Thnx. Joe

--
This mail is sent via contact form on Vintage Sound Amps http://vintagesoundamps.com (http://vintagesoundamps.com/)

Vintage Sound
06-15-2012, 10:16 PM
BTW, it has been mentioned that we don't advertise Brown Face amps. There is not a big market for them, but we are a complete custom shop. I have built Brown Face and Tweed Amps, as well as the Black Face. I will build pretty much any old vintage Fender circuit you can come up with - with or without my modifications. I am even currently building two 59 Marshall Plexi style amps for two studios in Nashville. Of course, most of the forum members know it was basically a Fender style Bassman circuitry tweaked up by Jim Marshall. Very cool amp!

If anyone ever contacts me via email, and does not get a response within 24 hours or less (much less), assume either I didn't get your email or you didn't get my reply. I try to make sure that I respond within a timely manner. I am accessible.

I want to thank everyone for their kind words and support. I do monitor the forums to make sure that my customers stay happy and that I resolve any issues they may have.

Thanks again, everyone.

Rick - Vintage Sound Amps, Inc.

joesnewmatch
06-15-2012, 10:37 PM
[QUOTE=Vintage Sound;13309377]If this is Joe, I responded last Friday? See below:

I never got your email, or I would have contacted you! Must have ended up in junk or spam. I cannot believe this!

:mob

Anyway, thanks for responding--I'm leaving early in the AM, driving the family back home. 'll have to catch you next year, unless I get to town sooner (or you get a So Fla distributor). Joe

MadFrank
06-16-2012, 02:55 AM
Those are beautiful looking amps!

DJ_61
06-16-2012, 04:29 AM
My VS ended all my amp quest. And Rick knows his stuff....

sascha
06-16-2012, 06:35 AM
Love my VS112p (called Vintage 15 now). Sometimes I miss the mid knob that the OP's amp has, but mine not ... might get it modded.

Here's some vids I made with mine:

Qll_1HP4Q_E

8BH9fgCSuEM

7CvhY5r2vJY

jimmybcool
06-16-2012, 06:57 AM
If I am not mistaken or misremember my Vintage 22 has brown on the dry channel (which isn't actually dry).

I was going to have Rick make me a Vibroverb(ish) amp when I stumbled into a 64 for a stupid low price and bought that. Still contemplating a Vibrolux Reverb(ish) amp.

Zounds Perspex
06-16-2012, 07:53 AM
Zounds Perspex: I really want to replace my Super Reverb reissue with the Vintage 40 some day. Did you get yours with 4x10 or the 1x15?

4x10", Diaz mod, bias points, channel one with the brownface/blackface voicing, trem and reverb both channels, dwell and presence controls for the 'verb on the back of the chassis. killer.

eventually I'd like to get a Vibrolux-ish thing with the first channel higher gain voicing.

Crow
06-16-2012, 08:22 AM
Rick from Vintage Sound is really awesome to work with. The quality is unbelievable...truly a perfectionist.

marsos52
06-16-2012, 09:31 AM
i have had my
VSA (pro-reverb ) for years already and it just keeps getting better and better

great amps and rick is great to work with

Blues_N_Rock
06-16-2012, 01:26 PM
4x10", Diaz mod, bias points, channel one with the brownface/blackface voicing, trem and reverb both channels, dwell and presence controls for the 'verb on the back of the chassis. killer.

eventually I'd like to get a Vibrolux-ish thing with the first channel higher gain voicing.

Are the dwell and presence control standard features of the SRs or a custom request?

Vintage Sound
06-16-2012, 02:08 PM
By Request, no additional cost.
Thanks
Rick
Vintage Sound Amps, Inc.

edwardz
03-25-2013, 12:42 AM
Ordered a Vintage 35 from Rick last month. I can hardly wait to get this baby! Been thinking about buying a smaller amp too. This thread may have sealed it for me to buy a Vintage 15 or 20.

wreckmark
01-25-2014, 08:13 PM
Just pulled the trigger on one of these little baby's! Anybody grabin' and goin' with these...these days??

spiral
03-10-2014, 11:48 AM
Love my VS112p (called Vintage 15 now). Sometimes I miss the mid knob that the OP's amp has, but mine not ... might get it modded.

Just outstanding playing and tone. I love the 175 vid. Wow.

Do you have a 12" speaker in your VS?

kingdavidy2k
04-10-2014, 04:10 PM
I'm thinking of getting a Vintage Sound.
It came with 6V6 but can handle 6L6?
Is it 20w when 6L6 is used and 15w when its on 6V6? or is it 20w for either tubes?

Also, has anyone played side by side to Tone King Imperial?
My friend had one and it sound fantastic.
The pros on the VS20 to me is that it's swappable tubes, Mid and Dwell control and slightly cheaper.
The cons is I never played one and don't have a dealer nearby (Sydney, Australia)

Anyone can chime in?
Thanks,
David

majorminor
04-10-2014, 05:11 PM
I'm thinking of getting a Vintage Sound.
It came with 6V6 but can handle 6L6?
Is it 20w when 6L6 is used and 15w when its on 6V6? or is it 20w for either tubes?

Also, has anyone played side by side to Tone King Imperial?
My friend had one and it sound fantastic.
The pros on the VS20 to me is that it's swappable tubes, Mid and Dwell control and slightly cheaper.
The cons is I never played one and don't have a dealer nearby (Sydney, Australia)

Anyone can chime in?
Thanks,
David

I currently own a Vintage Sound 35 watt Vibrolux. Basically a Vibrolux in a Deluxe cabinet with a 1x12" speaker. I had the Vintage Sound 20 briefly before sending it back and ordering the 35 watter. I like the 20 ALOT but just wanted more clean headroom and low end thump. I owned a Tone King Imperial for awhile since sold.

All I can tell you is the Vintage Sound amps will look and sound like Vintage Fender amps from the 60's. If that great clean and sparkly single channel approach floats your boat it's a safe and less expensive way to go and cheaper than a vintage Fender. The Tone King Imperial is more versatile than the Vintage Sound 20 because it's a 2 channel amp with both a clean and dirty channel. I found the clean channel to be pretty awesome on the Imperial, though maybe a little too bright and snappy with some guitars for my tastes - but didn't care for the crunch side much. If you've heard the Tone King and it rocked you world I guess I would go that route. It's a fine amp and is more versatile than the Vintage Sound.

The Vintage Sound 20 is 20 watts with 6V6 tubes. It's a blackface Princeton circuit with a beefier OT and an efficient 12" ceramic speaker.