PDA

View Full Version : Cheap delay for rockabilly slapback?

Laroosco!
10-31-2005, 09:09 PM
I might have an audition coming up with a pretty big rockabilly band.

Of course I'd love to have a TTE but I neeed something cheap that will ddo the slapback thing. A friend of mine told me the DD5 does it great for him.

I've always heard that one of the Danelectro delays does a great slapback, but can't remember which one.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

MrMunky
10-31-2005, 09:27 PM
You should get a DD-20 -its only slightly more expensive than a DD-5.

http://www.inrerocknroll.com/tunes/Slap.mp3

though I suppose if that's all you need, almost any delay will get the job done. Very few won't do a 125 msec single repeat. Some cheaper analog delays might be a bit dead sounding, whereas the high end sparkle of the slapback is pretty distinctive & Tape delays don't lose that much high end.

decay-o-caster
10-31-2005, 10:14 PM
I've used a Maxon AD80 and a DanEcho to do slap back. That's really what both of them do best, sez I. IMHO, YMMV, etc.

erksin
10-31-2005, 10:24 PM
Ibanez AD-9..?

Laroosco!
10-31-2005, 10:43 PM
I mean CHEAP. Trying for under $100.

:D

SOcular
10-31-2005, 10:54 PM
If you have a chance to play one in a store, try a SPF (Smart People Factory) delay. It is digital delay, and is designed to simulate more of an analog than a tape-sound, but you can get some really nice slap-back. Less than $200.

I actually use a cheapo Ibanez delay with a touch of reverb from a Fender tube amp. It can actually get you there, with the proper amount of tweaking. If I add some tube tremolo, I can get the old Duane Eddy stuff.

Cliff.

SOcular
10-31-2005, 11:02 PM
Sorry, didn't see the less than $100 part. Try an Ibanez DS-7 on 2.5-3 on time, repeat, and level and mix in some reverb. If you don't have reverb, increase repeat and decrease level. Use analog setting.

jeak
10-31-2005, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by Laroosco!

:D

The Guyatone MD3 is $99 brand new. And I hear it's quite good.

Tim Bowen
11-01-2005, 01:29 AM
Laroosco, I no longer use the purple Dan-Echos with live electric guitar rigs, but not because they won't do the job (they will). I just have other delays that better fill the bill. Among el cheapo "analog-voiced" digitals, the Dano is a champ in my book. The 'Hi Cut' treble rolloff is invaluable for dialing into pushed amps, or for different applications. You can set a good rockabilly slap on the Lo side of the 'Lo-Hi' speed switch, switch to the Hi side, back off the highs and mix, and get a very useful general ambience longer delay tone.

Ibanez EM-5 Echo Machine is warmer sounding than the Dano, but lacks the flexibility in the high end on the repeats that the Dano offers. *Stock* BOSS digitals (I have a DD-3) sound a bit harsh and pristine in the repeats with a pushed tube amp for my tastes. Doing a hi-cut mod on that pedal is on this week's agenda, hopefully I'll finally manage to get around to it.

If you search 'net comments on the Dano, you'll no doubt encounter accounts of jack problems and noise issues. While I can't nay-say these accounts by default, I will say that I currently own five of the purple Danos, each of which were bought when that unit was initially introduced; I've never encountered the first of such problems, after use at hundreds of gigs. Maybe I'm lucky. Dano bypass is less than great, as you might expect (seems to attenuate bass a bit).

Per your stipulations, I'll skip commenting on pricier units! Best of luck with the potential rockabilly thing.

Yngtchie Blacksteen
11-01-2005, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by jeak
The Guyatone MD3 is $99 brand new. And I hear it's quite good. It is, I love mine. Although I feel the H2O is better for slapback delay, due to a warmer echo. That is, if you want the chorus as well. Although that one might be too expensive, so I'll put my money on the MD3 for a versatile and inexpensive delay pedal.

paulydangerous
11-01-2005, 04:00 AM
DD-2 or a MIJ DD-3 will do it for a 100.00

BmoreTele
11-01-2005, 04:35 AM
Arion SAD-1 analog - getting harder to find on Ebay - about $75
Ibanez DE7 - very good analog sim - $70 new

derek_32999
11-01-2005, 12:47 PM
i agree with the sad-1, ibanez em-5, dano (the only one i have tried was the reel echo and it was great to me but i dont know how much they go for used)

webb
11-01-2005, 04:18 PM
Check out the rocktron short timer. Very good delay and you can get them
for under a hundred new.

Have fun
webb

drolling
11-01-2005, 04:31 PM
The 'other' Dano you may be thinking of is the 'PB&J' mini-pedal. Tiny plastic thing that costs even less than the Dan-Echo, I've had mine since they came out a few years back w/no problems whatsoever. It's got a switch that toggles between two speeds and when the time knob's set @ 12 O'clock and the repeats at zero, the fast speed gives you slap-back & the slow speed does that 'dotted eighth' note trick popularized by Albert Lee & Danny Gatton. A very cool, cheap pedal that was obviously designed by musicians.

amz-fx
11-01-2005, 06:38 PM
the Daphon E20 on Ebay does a really good slapback for just a few $$$

regards, Jack

Luke V
11-01-2005, 08:10 PM
Arion sad-1, try music. friend

derek_32999
11-01-2005, 08:27 PM
not musiciansfriend the sad-1 are discontinued check ebay and forums for sale.... do NOT get the SAD-3 :) i havent tried it but it isnt the same animal :)

Jon Silberman
06-21-2008, 01:34 PM
The Guyatone MD3 is $99 brand new. And I hear it's quite good.
Mine broke today after a couple of years of very light use on a board where I don't even stomp on the pedals to engage them but use a LoopMaster. No more for me!

Blues Wail
06-21-2008, 01:45 PM

:D Rocktron Short Timer. Great for what you are looking for!:banana

LowWatt
06-21-2008, 03:49 PM
The dano you are looking for is the BLT Slap Echo. It goes for $30 new. I'm a 16 year player and I spend if I think it will make even the slightest improvement, but the BLT stayed on my board for 2 years. I only got rid of it because I needed more flexibility.

You can't adjust the delay time. It is a one-trick pony. It really is crank the knobs to 10 and go. But it does that SUN studios early rock and roll slap back as good or better than any pedal short of a tape delay. Seriously.

You can get them used for $20 all the time.