PDA

View Full Version : How deep into your YAMAHA THR10 do you get?

msteeln
07-11-2012, 05:01 PM
These have been out a while now, enuf to work themselves into or out of serious use, and I'm a cheerleader but still curious about the bottom line. Where have you taken the ultimate abilities of these units to know the real pros and cons of what they do for you?

chandlerman
07-11-2012, 05:13 PM
Mine is fantastic, but mine and many others have battery power issues. See this TGP thread:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1077873

msteeln
07-11-2012, 05:39 PM
Mine is fantastic, but mine and many others have battery power issues.Been keeping up on this thread today, and while I'll probably never have an issue with it, users deserve an easy fix.

Beyond that, I'm curious where users have been taken it's positives and what other negatives may have been found.

daacrusher2001
08-24-2012, 01:38 PM
So I just discovered this device and the discussions and videos...wondering if anyone has plugged it into a powered monitor using the headphone jack?

If that works reliably, it'd be worth a shot. I just need it for home practice mostly, but if I could run it into my Carvin monitor, that'd be cool - see no reason I couldn't, I play the iPod through there.

Anyone?

pepi
08-24-2012, 04:09 PM
I've been running mine into my mod EPI 5 watter and 2x12. The lead models is freaking heaven

opaline
08-24-2012, 04:36 PM
Hi all, first time commenter and haven't gotten my profile together yet but.......in regards to the question about powered monitors I have not but have plugged my THR10 into my 200 watt per channel home stereo system after having it touch a preamp tube in an ART preamp and cranked it up and it sounds, well, it sounds like I'm gonna get evicted.

Beautiful hi-fi sound out of the high-gain channels when you let it rip, it takes a bit of an eq tweak but I got the low-end up where it belongs and it sounds good. Also ran it through a tube pre to warm it up and into my 1967 Bandmaster head/cab and it didn't sound as good but that's probably down to speaker/eq voicings.

opaline
08-24-2012, 05:42 PM
As far as "deep", the controls are so rudimentary on the amp itself that you pretty much have to have the software open to really do much, and the being able to switch between different cabinet variations (2x,4x, Brit, American, etc...) does make a very big difference in sound that plausibly sounds like the changes it claims to make.

The big leap would be if they allow aftermarket hacks to peep the code, the software is all upgradable via download on their website so it's a small step from that to allowing others to reach into the USB port with expression pedals, footswitches and even different attempts at more VCM amp profiles or software synth modules, the possibilities are endless. I would love to have rotovibes and reverse gated reverbs and crackpot attempts at all the Electro-Harmonix synth-Pog wackiness and stompbox emulations and would gladly pay for downloadable apps.

No battery issues with mine but I use the ones they recommend. Some electronics are veeeery touchy about minimum voltage levels and instead of playing neat-sounding bias tricks like fuzzboxes do they will just go dead.

daacrusher2001
08-24-2012, 05:48 PM
I have a Carvin powered speaker that I use for my HD500. It has a mini mixer on the back and an input for my ipod (or other mp3) - I was thinking it'd work well running through the Carvin so I could use it with our drummer if I wanted to.

The videos sound great. My biggest worry is that it would sound super thin with those small speakers - although, for home, it's probably fine

GAT
08-24-2012, 06:19 PM
A patient gave me a $200 gift card to GC and they had a $50 off offer yesterday so I picked one up for my office.

First, it sounds great as an iPod player. Second, I'm actually blown away at the tones and at the dynamics when using the guitar's volume pot.

Today I had a Gustavsson Fullerblaster delivered to my office and the amp worked great. I can get it down to whisper volumes and it still sounds great.

In fairness, I'm only using the Brit mode and a hint of delay, but that's all I'm after.

One question, is there anyway to tweak the EQ on the iPod part? I would like to add a bit more high end.

daacrusher2001
08-25-2012, 04:32 PM
So I tried one today at GC - luckily they had the THR10 in stock.

Clean was really good, crunch was pretty good - didn't care for the other settings much. Speakers, when driven with the gain on the amp, seemed flub out a bit...

At lower volumes it was cool, the reverb sounded three dimensional

hard to tell in GC if it was loud enough because the usual 14yr old shredders and super high gain metal heads were cranking the Line 6 amps...but, it sounded decent considering the size/power/speaker size

I tried a Roland Cube 40XL right after and then a Mustang ii and Mustang iii. For the money, the Mustang iii seemed like the best deal. I could play it low or loud...although, truthfully, at low volumes the Yamaha sounded better. But I could drag the mustang to a gig and use it...

On the other hand, if it's just for playing at low volume at night, no other expectations except maybe using the ipod with it on the deck, the Yamaha was a good option

I have to say, tho...I wasn't "amazed" by it

msteeln
08-25-2012, 05:41 PM
The headphone out to the house system should be no problem for gigs, and for external cabs, as some know they have to be self-powered, otherwise the sound will be crap.

opaline, your comments open up an interesting conucopia of possibilities, I liked the thot of a tube preamp, been considering that myself.

I think the more users delve into these amps, the more they'll find favorables. I hope to hear more pros/cons/ideas about all aspects.

slackandsteel
08-27-2012, 07:00 PM
So I tried one today at GC - luckily they had the THR10 in stock.

Clean was really good, crunch was pretty good - didn't care for the other settings much. Speakers, when driven with the gain on the amp, seemed flub out a bit...

At lower volumes it was cool, the reverb sounded three dimensional

hard to tell in GC if it was loud enough because the usual 14yr old shredders and super high gain metal heads were cranking the Line 6 amps...but, it sounded decent considering the size/power/speaker size

I tried a Roland Cube 40XL right after and then a Mustang ii and Mustang iii. For the money, the Mustang iii seemed like the best deal. I could play it low or loud...although, truthfully, at low volumes the Yamaha sounded better. But I could drag the mustang to a gig and use it...

On the other hand, if it's just for playing at low volume at night, no other expectations except maybe using the ipod with it on the deck, the Yamaha was a good option

I have to say, tho...I wasn't "amazed" by it

I wasn't amazed either, in fact, was pretty disappointed when I first tried it using the presets without the editor, and noodling around with the controls. However, after playing with it quite a bit I'm getting some really nice clean sounds now using the bass model of all things, and am on the verge of a great tone on using the crunch model.

Haven't been able to dial in much with the Lead, Brit Hi or Modern models. I've tried a bunch of the presets in the Library and did not like any of them much. Guitars are Strat and Tele with lower gain pickups.

The level of the reverb is ridiculously over the top and is difficult to dial back except with the software editor. I'm not much into chorus, flanging or phasing so can't comment there but will say the trem can be dialed in quite nicely for some great, rootsy Americana tones.

My biggest gripe with the THR10 is that it is fairly easy to overdrive it (not sure if it is the amp or the speakers) into an very unpleasant sound when turning up the guitar volume knob, even on the clean settings I've created (note - I am using compression to boost those). I like what I'm hearing so much that I just want to hear it loud, and that's when I run into the clipping.

All in all, I'm very happy with it and glad I bought it. I'm looking forward to using on casual gigs in front of the PA.

daacrusher2001
08-30-2012, 10:50 AM
fwiw, I talked to Yamaha yesterday about the battery issue. They are working on it and working on some other improvements. The guy said a newer version is at least a year off, and he wouldn't give me any insight on what improvements they were considering

I was shocked someone called me back! I never expect good service anymore. Good job Yamaha!

msteeln
08-31-2012, 09:57 AM
I talked to Yamaha yesterday about the battery issue. They are working on it and working on some other improvements.Awesome news, thanx!

succor
08-31-2012, 10:56 AM
fwiw, I talked to Yamaha yesterday about the battery issue. They are working on it and working on some other improvements. The guy said a newer version is at least a year off, and he wouldn't give me any insight on what improvements they were considering

Thanks for sharing. Did you get the idea that they're investigating a fix/update for current THR10 units, or is it that they'll just make the next medel better?

daacrusher2001
09-01-2012, 04:42 PM
The way it was stated was - "the engineers know about it and are working on the problem". I didn't ask about a fix for the existing units, but then he talked about newer models in about a year...with some improvements.

So...hard to tell...if you email their support guys they'll call you back. I was amazed at that - he called me three times as he missed me the first two...