PDA

View Full Version : Replacing line 6 dl4

RickNew
07-15-2012, 03:45 PM
I've had a line 6 Dl4 for the longest time and have mostly like it. Have it set for a slapback echo (country) a longer delay for leads and the third would vary but rarely used. Don't really use the looper or exotic delays'

It has become unreliable and I'm looking to replace it. My question is what is the best way to get these two basic delays on my board. Is there a similar unit to the dl4 or should I set up two pedals with single sounds.

Thanks for any input

PS, I power my board with a voodoo pedal power 2

mowatsmith
07-15-2012, 03:55 PM
I'm sure you'd be pretty happy with any of the Strymon delays and a favorite switch.

phazersonstun
07-15-2012, 04:07 PM
The Strymon's are solid recommendation, & will do the 2 sounds you want well.
The Vox Delay Lab seems like a great direct replacement for the DL-4.

When I replace my DL-4 it most likely will be with an M9.

Drxgue
07-15-2012, 04:10 PM
If you're looking for a cheaper alternative, I'd heartily recommend TC Electronic's Nova Repeater or Nova Delay. The big difference in the two is the Delay's digital display of BPM/ms and programmable presets. I have the Repeater and love it dearly.

voorhiessa
07-15-2012, 05:35 PM
How bout an echo park and an analog delay (Luke a carbon copy)?

JUSTJOB
07-15-2012, 05:45 PM
The Boss DD-20 would be worth looking into as well. Dependable, easy to use, great sounding, versatile delay unit.

mikkvoxNT
07-15-2012, 05:47 PM
Visaul sound dual tap delay mabey

danonbass
07-15-2012, 06:01 PM
I've had a line 6 Dl4 for the longest time and have mostly like it. Have it set for a slapback echo (country) a longer delay for leads and the third would vary but rarely used. Don't really use the looper or exotic delays'

It has become unreliable and I'm looking to replace it. My question is what is the best way to get these two basic delays on my board. Is there a similar unit to the dl4 or should I set up two pedals with single sounds.

Thanks for any input

Ok Rick. Let's see, you only use two sounds, a slap back and and longer lead delay. Since you're not looking for crazy delays, and thus perhaps aren't a "delay guy" go the inexpensive but quality route. Pick up a used MXR Carbon Copy and a used Boss DD7. Use one for slap back and one for your lead sound. Pick up a small tap tempo switch if you'd like the tap tempo option on the DD7. They're both rock solid pedals and are on touring pros boards across the world. Only get another mega delay unit if you are really into using delay.

Dbwalker
07-15-2012, 07:33 PM
Aquapuss makes stellar slap back delay box , it has a thing, hard to describe, love it.

Echo park is an inexpensive alternative to the dl4 as weel. And sounds much the same ( but better in many ways.

NHBluesMan
07-15-2012, 07:36 PM
Visaul sound dual tap delay maybe

THIS ^

It's already knocked afew DL4's off pedalboards, including Brian Ray (touring with Paul McCartney) and Jason "Slim" Gambill (lead guitarist for Lady Antebellum)

the tone of the pedal itself is fantastic

eternally found
07-15-2012, 07:56 PM
Replaced my DL4 with my an El Cap and Favorite switch. Great replacement :D

ahcleinad
07-15-2012, 10:05 PM
El Cap + favorite switch is probably a good option. I currently run an Empress Superdelay, but that might be a little bit too much. Or like mentioned before a Boss DD-X + analog delay would also be awesome I think.

oxtone
07-16-2012, 12:22 AM
TC IB Modified Nova Delay - has 9 Presets, and sounds very good. I replaced my Boss DD-20, which I had for many years. The Nova sounds much better.

PanicProne
07-16-2012, 01:01 AM
I sort of replaced mine with an Empress Superdelay although I ended up with an m9 eventually (for longer looping and filter models mainly). I love the Superdelay (especially that reverse c everyone always talks about) but it all depends. If you really know what two sounds you want and have the cash for it I say it's almost always more fun to have "unique" pedals rather than a "multi". However, the empress is pretty darn cool.

alamere
07-16-2012, 02:55 AM
If you are looking to go all analog, the analogman delay is my recent choice and I also switched from a DL4 and set it up for two distinct delays just as you are noting.

The ARDX is two, all analog delays in one box.
If you are looking for sharper repeats the Strymon boxes certainly get a TON of high praise here..

fuzzface71
07-16-2012, 04:14 AM

Thanks for any input

If you like your DL4, and wanted it to be more reliable. Why don't you get a hotrod and mod all at once? Send it to forumite drasp! He does custom paint jobs. He can change the switches to more reliable ones. Fix the volume drop etc.. more info on his link. Seriously ended my delay search!

Here's mine.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v39/fuzzface71/GetAttachment-2aspx.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v39/fuzzface71/GetAttachmentaspx.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v39/fuzzface71/GetAttachment-1aspx.jpg

KilgoreTrout
07-16-2012, 03:11 PM
Well, if you're looking to keep it simple/reduce the footprint, the BBE Two Timer will do just what you need. I've recently picked up the Vox DelayLab, and I'm thinking that pedal was built to be a DL4 killer. Its just as easy to use, has more useable sounds (IMO), and a longer loop time. It also retails for a little less and has almost exactly the same footprint. Might be overkill if you just need a couple of basic delay sounds though.

wornoutjunkie
07-16-2012, 03:59 PM
If you're looking for a cheaper alternative, I'd heartily recommend TC Electronic's Nova Repeater or Nova Delay. The big difference in the two is the Delay's digital display of BPM/ms and programmable presets. I have the Repeater and love it dearly.

TC IB Modified Nova Delay - has 9 Presets, and sounds very good. I replaced my Boss DD-20, which I had for many years. The Nova sounds much better.

I Highly Agree with them, I have Nova Repeater and has an amazing tone and covers a lot of ground, but I've been looking for the new IB Nova Delay to cover two sounds: I only need a slapback and lead delay like you, but I maybe keep the Repeater for the medium delay and add a MXR CC for the slapbacks.

If you haven't tried TC electronics I would recommend you to try them, another option to replace a DL4 is the Vox Delay Lab, the Line 6 M9 and the Timeline are popular choices.

Good luck!

GovernorSilver
07-16-2012, 10:11 PM
After my DL-4 broke down, I got a Damage Control Timeline to replace it. It served me well, with a great sound of its own.

I finally got the DL-4 modded by R3FX after talking to a buddy who had his DL-4 modded by the same guy. Now the DL-4 is working again, and I use it a lot more than the DC Timeline. Go figure!

Leftyman
07-17-2012, 09:06 AM
There is an Empress Superdelay in the emporium right now for $250. Great price on a great, versatile delay pedal.

realdealblues
07-17-2012, 10:37 AM
I don't like anything from Line 6 other than their wireless units. All they're effects just sound "cheap" to me.

I had a Boss DD-20 but I didn't like having to bank up to get back to where I wanted to be, especially in the middle of a song. I need 3 different delays. I ended up picking up a DL-4 for a $100 because of it having 3 separate delays without having to bank up. Eventually I ended up saving up and buying 3 separate delay pedals.

I recently saw the Vox Delaylab and I'm now very interested in picking up one of those.

steam boat
07-17-2012, 10:47 AM
Go Timeline, its the real deal. When comparing it to the el cap, Ill take the TL's looper functionality over the el cap's sound on sound feature any day!

danonbass
07-17-2012, 10:47 AM
I don't like anything from Line 6 other than their wireless units. All they're effects just sound "cheap" to me.

I had a Boss DD-20 but I didn't like having to bank up to get back to where I wanted to be, especially in the middle of a song. I need 3 different delays. I ended up picking up a DL-4 for a $100 because of it having 3 separate delays without having to bank up. Eventually I ended up saving up and buying 3 separate delay pedals.

I recently saw the Vox Delaylab and I'm now very interested in picking up one of those.

So wait... You don't like Line 6 effects, and yet you bought a DL-4??

Also, I see the DL-4 on tons of pro boards. And tons of semi-pros boards.

fr8_trane
07-17-2012, 11:01 AM

Thanks for any input

The Line 6 M series has everything the DL4 had with higher fidelity and "dry though" versions of some of the DL4 delays that colored the tone excessively. Try the M5 on the cheap or go for the M9 for more options and versatility.

You already KNOW the Line 6 delays...why change yer stripes now. The mseries is an improvement in every way over the DL4

realdealblues
07-17-2012, 11:10 AM
So wait... You don't like Line 6 effects, and yet you bought a DL-4??

No, me finding out I disliked Line 6's effects came about as a result of trying many of their products. I bought the DL-4 having not tried it before. I did not like it and eventually bought 3 delay pedals.

I know lots of pro's use them, good for them. I still think they sound cheap and are made cheap. People mod them because the switches are junk, the volume drops when engaged, etc. They were great in theory and had nice features, but in the end the final product didn't impress me.

jason41224
07-17-2012, 12:20 PM
i'm a strymon fanboy, but if i wasn't a delay freak i would probably want something simpler that still sounds good (and is cheaper!!!). i like the Dual Tap Delay, that would be worth looking into.

english_bob
07-18-2012, 03:28 AM

I see dogshit on tons of pavements. And tons of shoes.

For a surprisingly long time, the DL-4 was the only thing on the market that did what it did- namely give you very easy access to several different delay sounds and provide a looper with a decent loop time and creatively useful features in one package. The fact that it's unreliable and is built to a standard that isn't exactly mil-spec could be overlooked to a certain extent by touring pros because replacements would never be terribly difficult or terribly expensive to come by. Let's not go over the hoary old "why do all the pros use BOSS etc when booteek haz teh toans?" thing again.

Out in the real world beyond the money-no-object monster bedroom rig nonsense of TGP, I think most players- even of the type that need three different delay sounds and a looper easily to hand (or foot...) would settle for the convenience and economy of having them all in one 200 pedal rather than spend 150 a piece on three different delay pedals and a dedicated looper to do the same job.

While the DL-4 does have a lot going for it, it has some serious shortcomings- aforementioned reliability/build quality issues, limited tap tempo functionality, joke "expression pedal" implementation, volume drops etc., so now that the market has opened up and serious competitors are available, it's no surprise some people are considering changing up.

phil esposito
07-18-2012, 05:36 AM
Here's why I can't shake my DL4:

1. It's cheap.
2. Setting and accessing presets are easy. I hate 'banks'...why so complicated?
3. It does trails.
4. It sounds decent.
5. It is mod friendly.

Here's why I don't like it:

1. It's big.
2. It sounds decent.

I really dislike banking presets. I'd like to try other awesome delay pedals; but they don't have easily accessible presets. The DL4 can't be beat there.

fr8_trane
07-18-2012, 08:10 AM
Here's why I can't shake my DL4:

I really dislike banking presets. I'd like to try other awesome delay pedals; but they don't have easily accessible presets. The DL4 can't be beat there.

Yes it can. The M9 is a definite upgrade from the DL 4. Its smaller, its easier to use (dedicated knobs for parameters), its higher fidelity and it has six available stomps.

phil esposito
07-18-2012, 09:30 AM
Yes it can. The M9 is a definite upgrade from the DL 4. Its smaller, its easier to use (dedicated knobs for parameters), its higher fidelity and it has six available stomps.

I totally agree but I'm considering stand alone delay units.

Roe
07-18-2012, 11:43 AM
I'm replacing my with line6 M5 and TC flashback

KilgoreTrout
07-18-2012, 12:30 PM
I totally agree but I'm considering stand alone delay units.

Well, the DelayLab has banks, but there are three presets per bank, so you can have 3 different settings one button push away, just like the DL4. I only use 3 delay settings live, so I don't have to mess with switching banks. Its nice to have them though so I can store other sounds that I like but don't necessarily use that often.

realdealblues
07-18-2012, 12:49 PM
Well, the DelayLab has banks, but there are three presets per bank, so you can have 3 different settings one button push away, just like the DL4. I only use 3 delay settings live, so I don't have to mess with switching banks. Its nice to have them though so I can store other sounds that I like but don't necessarily use that often.

Exactly why I'm hoping to pick up the DelayLab next week.

I also use 3 Delay settings live and I don't want to bank for them. But if I want to create some strange delays or something specific I can always bank up to some different stuff, but I'll still be able to have the 3 delays I use 90% of the time all in a row at the push of 1 button.

GovernorSilver
07-18-2012, 01:28 PM
I hang on to my DL4 for these reasons:

- While the looper feature set may be limited compared to more recently developed looper pedals, the looping features that it does have are so easy to use.

- The sound has always been good to my ears

- The mods installed by R3FX are a nice addition.

I do plan to add another delay though - the new Moog MF-104M

NHBluesMan
07-18-2012, 01:31 PM

this... except the M9 is most definitely NOT smaller- it's bigger by at least an inch both ways.

However, for what you get out of it, the size upgrade is well worth it

RickNew
07-19-2012, 09:16 AM
Great info here guys.... I haven't even thought about what's out there in delays for years.
please keep it coming!

marvelboy_04
07-19-2012, 10:03 AM
maybe just a couple of different delays set up to different settings? did you use the tap tempo?

richpjr
07-19-2012, 10:30 AM
Another choice vs the M9 is the Zoom G3.

RickNew
07-19-2012, 12:53 PM
maybe just a couple of different delays set up to different settings? did you use the tap tempo?

Rarely use tap tempo, not important to my playing