PDA

View Full Version : Charcoal Frost Metallic color question

ChaseTMP
07-24-2012, 01:42 PM
I'm having a custom guitar (Dan Ransom) finished in Charcoal Frost Metallic and the painter is using a 1965/66 Ford/Linclon color code of M1744. Whenever I do web searches on the color; the vintage Fenders, look very black. There seems to be a moderate variation of the color throughout different builders, as well.

Any experts, have any information of how and why many of the guitar's finishes look slightly different and especially; why the vintage examples look so dark. Does the choice of wood have an impact, even though the color isn't translucent?

FWIW; I'm having a Jazzmaster(esque) semihollow body made with a Rickenbacker style sound hole, spruce top and an alder back.

jimshine
07-24-2012, 02:13 PM
Something to remember about old car finishes. The old colors were mixed using pigment dispensers that were not very accurate. It used to be if you had to have collision touchup on your car, most times you could see a difference in the work because the machines alone could not color match the paint 100%. Great shops would have a guy that specialized in color matching. He would mix the paint and tweak it by eye until it was a good match. The best guys at this job never had to worry about employment.

Years ago all this all went digital, and now computers color match. But what is the "master" color? Well, they would mix up and tweak what they believed the color was intended to be and made that the "master". Chances are if you brought back todays color and sprayed it on anything of the same color formula of the time, they would not be a 100% match. Todays is an "idealized" version of the color.

IPLAYLOUD
07-24-2012, 02:22 PM
Builders will sometimes "warm" the clear coat with a touch of yellow to give it an aged look...yellow and charcoal will have a greenish tinge.
On a vintage Fender, if it got a clear coat (not all did), you'll have this greening.

It's also hard to shoot a picture of CFM. Not easy to capture the correct shade. The Metallic in if acts like a million little mirrors reflecting light.
Same with many bursts...hard to shoot.

treeofpain
07-24-2012, 02:36 PM
I owned a 1965 Jaguar in Charcoal Frost Metallic a few years back. The unfaded color under the guard was pretty much like the color describes - a deep charcoal color with metallic elements. It actually had a bit of a blue tint to it.

Most of the body had changed to a color very much like Sherwood Green Metallic, which I loved.

Guitarworks
07-24-2012, 02:38 PM
Seems to be a perfect color match on my computer monitor. It is dark, but there is noticeable deep gunmetal blue in it. Take a look...

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedisplay.cgi?type=paint&paint=9344&ditzler=32390&syear=1965&smanuf=Ford&smodel=Lincoln&sname=Charcoal Frost

ChaseTMP
07-24-2012, 02:59 PM
^ Thanks, I saw that page as well, but as you can see; the computerized "chip" is quite different than the one on the bottom right (lincolnlandinc.com), which is significantly darker.

The builder is in San Francisco and I'm in LA, or I would have popped by to check things out. In all actuality, it's too late for for me to change anything, I guess I'm bracing myself ready for potential disappointment (I'm hoping for the lighter CFM).

K-Line
07-24-2012, 08:21 PM
Charcoal Frostis adark gray metallic basically. Has a blue hue toit in direct light.