PDA

View Full Version : Voodoo Lab Giggity VS EQ Pedal?

wcmiller
07-25-2012, 08:29 PM
I'm trying to exercise a little honesty here. I need NO MORE PEDALS!!

Want...different story....

I really like the demos I've heard of the Giggity. I especially like some of the clips where it dials in a little top end chime for cleaner sounds.

I'm curious to learn from anyone that has used a Giggity to what degree does it succeed and distinguish itself as compare to a really good EQ pedal like my Empress Para EQ in terms of what it brings to the table?

Thanks kindly. I'm hoping you will tell me that all of the voicings found in the Giggity can be recreated by a great EQ.

Cheers.

traynor_garnet
07-26-2012, 06:14 AM
Interested too. Bump.

TG

Santiago
07-26-2012, 12:20 PM
"I'm hoping you will tell me that all of the voicings found in the Giggity can be recreated by a great EQ."

Great question! Well, the main reason Giggity exists is because there are certain things you can't do with just EQ. Believe me, I tried! It's like saying you can make your Pro Tools recordings sound more tape like just by turning down the treble.

It's the Sun-Moon 4-position preamp voicing selector that changes the gain structure and high-end, along with the separate Body and Air circuits, that makes it all work. Sounds like you've got a great EQ pedal already, so if you're just trying to add uncolored treble, you're probably gonna be fine with what you already have.

Hope that helps clear it up a bit!

JS

fritferret
07-26-2012, 12:32 PM
i think the giggity is a great pedal, but it's not an eq pedal. w/ the giggity, while it sounds great, it does change how your amp responds and the dynamics shift some. w/ a eq pedal, a good anyway, you can dial back or boost certain freqs without really changing your core tone. the giggity can be transparent, but it still changes the tone and the response, but it can make your amp sound like a completely different and really nice amp. if you ever have to use back line amps, a giggity should be in your gig bag. if you get to use your own stuff, i'd for a nice eq w/ active controls.

Rory_Rules
07-26-2012, 05:51 PM
i think the giggity is a great pedal, but it's not an eq pedal. w/ the giggity, while it sounds great, it does change how your amp responds and the dynamics shift some. w/ a eq pedal, a good anyway, you can dial back or boost certain freqs without really changing your core tone. the giggity can be transparent, but it still changes the tone and the response, but it can make your amp sound like a completely different and really nice amp. if you ever have to use back line amps, a giggity should be in your gig bag. if you get to use your own stuff, i'd for a nice eq w/ active controls.

Having owned a Giggity and a Fromel Shape EQ, fritferret is right on the mark!

MoPo
07-26-2012, 11:08 PM
I've only ever used cheaper gnarly eq pedals in the traditional manner - as a way of pushing a beast of an amp into howling, or lying on its back with its paws in the air and my foot on its throat.

The giggity is different. It's a shaper pedal. It can go to extremes or a gentle nudge. I play with so many unknown rigs, there hasn't been a show in a few months where I haven't been glad it was there to shape things in one way or another. I just wish it could have two different settings - like a favourite switch and a fallback setting. I tend to go for a midway point to cover different sounds. It would be amazing if I could go for two completely disparate points instead.

lux_interior
07-27-2012, 05:30 AM
I think it's pretty easy to tell from the video demos that it offers a bit of saturation as well, apart from touching a limited but useful range of frequencies. An eq pedal doesn't offer saturation of its own, and controls an extended range of frequencies either by (mainly) being a graphic one or a parametric one.

jms6668
08-09-2012, 08:13 AM
"I'm hoping you will tell me that all of the voicings found in the Giggity can be recreated by a great EQ."

Great question! Well, the main reason Giggity exists is because there are certain things you can't do with just EQ. Believe me, I tried! It's like saying you can make your Pro Tools recordings sound more tape like just by turning down the treble.

It's the Sun-Moon 4-position preamp voicing selector that changes the gain structure and high-end, along with the separate Body and Air circuits, that makes it all work. Sounds like you've got a great EQ pedal already, so if you're just trying to add uncolored treble, you're probably gonna be fine with what you already have.

Hope that helps clear it up a bit!

JS
Giving one a whirl now, sounds great.

Can it be run at higher volateges, 12v, 18v?
Is there a way to increase the mids without increasing the bass?

harpinon
08-09-2012, 08:34 AM
I needed a front end buffer but went with a Giggity instead. Buffers the signal, but also has the EQ feature to tweak it. Its not as good as an EQ if you need specific controls of the mids. The top dial can affect the mid tones, but you get step settings rather than sliders.
It is dead quiet where EQ's can be hissy.
I love it. Between an EQ or a Giggity.... get the Giggity.