PDA

View Full Version : Why don't car dealers have "loaners" anymore?

jcmark611
08-02-2012, 02:35 PM
I'm having to take my car (which is still under warranty) in for a recall. While there I'm getting some regular maintenance done to it as well (oil change, clear coat, tire rotation) all in all we are talking about 6 or 7 hours of solid work. The earliest I can leave my car at the dealer is 1:30pm. They then ask me if I want to drop it off and pick it up the next day OR just wait.

I was floored.

So then I asked, "You want me to stay there? I don't have alternative means of transportation." "Yes sir, we will do the clear coating first and just make sure not to get fingerprints on the car during the rest of the process."

I'm still amazed.

I asked what will happen if they don't get it finished that day. "Oh, don't worry sir, we will get it done that day. You won't need alternate transportation."

What the is going on here? Why not just offer me a loaner or something so they can take their time and do the job right? It can't be that hard, can it?

Peteyvee
08-02-2012, 02:37 PM
You went to the wrong dealership?

strumminsix
08-02-2012, 02:43 PM
Mine does and my car is out of warranty and 7 years old. ( Hyundai )

dascher
08-02-2012, 02:44 PM
Not related to this thread at all but I love the kimock quotes. Was thinking about using my favorite quote for a sig, it was something like "That might be the dumbest sh*t I've ever heard and this is where I go to read dumb sh*t"

67blackcherry
08-02-2012, 02:45 PM
My Audi dealership does.
They gave me a 2010 A4....and then proceeded to tell me my 2007 A3 is out of warranty...things are going to get interesting rather quickly...

LesMesa
08-02-2012, 02:48 PM
Both dealerships I take my cars to have loaners. Time to change!

chrisr777
08-02-2012, 02:49 PM
I have an extended warranty. If it takes more than 24 hours to fix my car they pay for a rental. Otherwise, they have shuttle to take you home and pick you up.

jcmark611
08-02-2012, 02:50 PM
Both dealerships I take my cars to have loaners. Time to change!

Do all dealers have the Auto Butler? Will the other dealer get upset that I'm only using their service center and didn't buy my car from them?

Pat Healy
08-02-2012, 02:50 PM
Partly my fault. When I was 16, I had to take my parents' car into the shop. The dealer gave me an old car as a loaner, a gigantic 1974 Olds Delta 88, which I proceeded to wreck. Quite amazing how a car like that will swat a Ford Ranchero out of the way like it wasn't even there. At any rate, that particular dealer modified their loaner policy after that.

EthanB
08-02-2012, 02:51 PM
The dealership where I work also provides loaners. Benz to Benz owners, Lincoln to Lincoln owners, Mazda to Mazda owners, and Mitsubishi to all others.

EthanB
08-02-2012, 02:52 PM
Do all dealers have the Auto Butler? Will the other dealer get upset that I'm only using their service center and didn't buy my car from them?

No... we love it when people service with us. :)

Thinline_slim
08-02-2012, 02:54 PM
Mine gave me a loaner but I was out a car for 3 days.

I was driving home on an interstate doing 75....ish, and I heard a BOOM! (much like a gunshot) Scared the hell out of me! Then it sounded like my car was getting nailed with hail (not a cloud in the sky). I looked in my rear view mirror and it looked like a bunch of rocks were bouncing off my roof....

My sunroof (something that I find completely worthless on a vehicle) exploded. Literally exploded.

Warranty covered it plus painting the roof due to the glass scratches. They gave me a loaner for a day then got me a proper rental vehicle.

amigo30
08-02-2012, 02:55 PM
My VW dealership has given me a loaner just for an oil-change and basic maintenance. My Jeep dealership? I think the only way I'd get a loaner there was if I offered to do something that's illegal in every state except Alabama.

gregc
08-02-2012, 03:06 PM
I always get a loaner at my MINI dealership.

Matt Jones
08-02-2012, 03:11 PM
The Nissan dealer offers a loaner but I always bring my bike and ride it into work when I have the car serviced.

elterrell
08-02-2012, 03:23 PM
The Volvo guys are pretty alright -- the guys there let me pick out the loaner I want. Maybe I am there too much.

mwc2112
08-02-2012, 04:19 PM
Some do loaners, some don't. My wife drives an '02 Infiniti and they give her one for anything, including oil change if she doesn't want to wait. I have an '08 Honda and I don't get one where I take it (although they probably would for overnight work).

Frankee
08-02-2012, 04:42 PM
There's one out in my driveway right now.

donthasslethehoff
08-02-2012, 05:05 PM
when I got my trunk monkey installed it was hassle free

tiktok
08-02-2012, 05:15 PM
I'm having to take my car (which is still under warranty) in for a recall. While there I'm getting some regular maintenance done to it as well (oil change, clear coat, tire rotation) all in all we are talking about 6 or 7 hours of solid work. The earliest I can leave my car at the dealer is 1:30pm. They then ask me if I want to drop it off and pick it up the next day OR just wait.

I was floored.

So then I asked, "You want me to stay there? I don't have alternative means of transportation." "Yes sir, we will do the clear coating first and just make sure not to get fingerprints on the car during the rest of the process."

I'm still amazed.

I asked what will happen if they don't get it finished that day. "Oh, don't worry sir, we will get it done that day. You won't need alternate transportation."

What the is going on here? Why not just offer me a loaner or something so they can take their time and do the job right? It can't be that hard, can it?

Some dealers have loaners, can't recall the last one I went to that didn't have at least a shuttle pick-up/drop-off service if you don't wait to wait while they worked on your car.

All those things are expensive though.

Mr. Kite
08-02-2012, 05:31 PM
Just rent a car.

KCWM
08-02-2012, 05:51 PM
The Ford dealers around where I used to live stopped offering them. The one closest to where I live now gave me one last time I had to have my car serviced for something that took a while.

bigdaddy
08-02-2012, 05:53 PM
WTF is a clear coat and why did you buy it?

tennisplayer
08-02-2012, 05:57 PM
What kind of car? Mine gives free pick up and delivery service.

sacakl
08-02-2012, 06:10 PM
I go to a Honda dealer and my wife goes to a Subaru dealer. We even have older cars long past the warranty and get loaners every time.

CharAznable
08-02-2012, 06:10 PM
Buy an It's Time! approved car and you'll get a loaner every time

jcmark611
08-02-2012, 06:22 PM
What kind of car? Mine gives free pick up and delivery service.

Ford Focus.

WTF is a clear coat and why did you buy it?

Keeps the paint looking good as it's a candy color. It's only $20.00 a year and they detail the car while they do it. Bought it because my car was literally on it's last legs.

Doug's Tubes
08-02-2012, 07:07 PM
They do, but they only have so many to go around. So they will have to decide which 5 customers out of 40-50 for the day get the loaners.

SGNick
08-02-2012, 08:09 PM
I always get a loaner at my MINI dealership.

The Mini/BMW dealer has never offered me a loaner.

Then again, they're also assholes most of the time.

jcmark611
08-02-2012, 08:14 PM
They do, but they only have so many to go around. So they will have to decide which 5 customers out of 40-50 for the day get the loaners.

I was making an appointment for next Wednesday.

Doug's Tubes
08-02-2012, 08:19 PM
I was making an appointment for next Wednesday.

Yep, but the $3,900 warranty transmission job will trump your recall.

bigdaddy
08-02-2012, 08:23 PM
They all have a big lot full of laners. They call it the used car department. Go for a test drive then ask if you can take it home to show the wife and bring her back (7 hours later).

JDC
08-02-2012, 08:26 PM
Same as someone above said. When my car was within its warranty period, the dealership bought me a rental if they had my car overnight.

Since there are no more Saturn dealerships and my car is WAY out of warranty (even if there WERE still Saturn shops) I, daresay, I'd be SOL these days.

Bazaboy33
08-02-2012, 11:13 PM
For the same reason that they no longer wash 'n' vac your car when you have it serviced...Gotta cut costs somewhere.

Mangy71
08-02-2012, 11:22 PM
If my dealer needs to keep the car overnight they will give me a rental car...if it will be done the same day I have to wait or they will give me a ride to and from work (shuttle service).

Noone You KNow
08-03-2012, 12:04 AM
Partly my fault. When I was 16, I had to take my parents' car into the shop. The dealer gave me an old car as a loaner, a gigantic 1974 Olds Delta 88, which I proceeded to wreck. Quite amazing how a car like that will swat a Ford Ranchero out of the way like it wasn't even there. At any rate, that particular dealer modified their loaner policy after that.

This probably why they don't provide loaners anymore. BTW, if they do supply loaners, don't expect one for your $39.95 oil change.

Hendrix99
08-03-2012, 12:51 AM
Honestly, I think most of the dealers give loaners to the more top of the line models customers are dropping off and leaving the others with shuttle service. If ever need any maintenance on my 2012 Touareg, the local VW dealer gets me right into a loaner, no problem at all. The guy bringing in his 8 year old Jetta not so much. I think they favor customers with higher end cars as far as dealing out the loaners. Right or wrong, that has been my experience. The body shop is a whole different animal, strictly through insurance for rentals (which has been an nightmare thus far in my experience).

billywade
08-03-2012, 06:20 AM
Kind of along the same lines as the previous post. I think if you buy a nice car the dealer treats you pretty decent for the first few years hoping that you'll be a repeat customer (thus - loaner cars). After it becomes obvious (or probable) that you're not interested in an upgrade the loaners typically give way to shuttle service.

jefesq
08-03-2012, 10:13 PM
audi's under warranty, new audi loaner