PDA

View Full Version : Zoom B3

camstudio
08-06-2012, 09:59 AM
Just un-boxed my new Zoom B3! Trying it out tonight!
Not had much luck growing another set of arms yet though ;)

travisvwright
08-06-2012, 10:02 AM
lol even though I own a G3 I hadn't heard of this and thought, "What is this an organ modeler?" Let us know what you think.

Rod
08-06-2012, 04:29 PM
I think this is the bass version

camstudio
08-07-2012, 12:39 PM
Had about an hour flicking through the presets last night. I have an old de-fretted Sunn Mustang P sytle bass. This is the first piece of dedicated bass kit I have bought. I am also planning on using this as an extra general purpose unit (probably for acoustic, drum machine and fx loop of tube amp) along side the G5 I recently got. I probably ended up with this because I was impressed with the G5. I have not had Zoom units since the 1010 which did me proud for many years when I started home recording.
It is safe to say that this is to bass as the G3 is to guitar.
It sounds really nice. Very immediate stable sound latency wise. Effects seem usable and the tracking type effects seem pretty stable too. Not tried pitch shifting yet or expression pedal.
I generally hate eq's on multi's but the one on here seems to do a great job in shaping the sound. Wide range af bass tones, I was playing it through hi fi separates and definitely felt that bass amp vibe in the room. Tuner was very stable. Looper is cool as. Looking forward to setting up loops on this then jamming along with the guitar!
Think this suits all my needs. I got it for 140, bargain!

Jesus freak
08-07-2012, 07:39 PM
I was at a Filter show last week and snaped this blury pic of the bass players board
He has 2 B3's on it!
http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee470/hp333999/a56527ad.jpg

bluesdoc
08-07-2012, 07:46 PM
^ for that 'B3' tone :D

jon

camstudio
08-13-2012, 10:55 AM
Have been playing around with this again. I have spotted a couple of cool features.
There is a wet dry balance control for each patch which is assignable to expression pedal.
There is also also a balance control on all the amps that lets you mix between the cab sound and pre cab/ post preamp sound!
So you can get dry, pre amp and cab sounds all running at the same time.
Genius!
If they implemented the wet dry input balance on the G series that would enable blending in the dry guitar thing that folks have been talking about.

toneseek
08-13-2012, 12:24 PM
I was at a Filter show last week and snaped this blury pic of the bass players board
He has 2 B3's on it!

cool photo! thanks for sharing!

Sorefingers
08-23-2012, 08:11 PM
He has 2 B3's on it!

Hey man...nice shot. :rotflmao

camstudio
09-01-2012, 05:30 PM
A wee update. I keep gravitating to the Bassman model on this. I like the fuzz and HD reverb. I have the fuzz mixed in about 20.
The cab pre amp mix is a really cool feature. I had phones on today and when you mix the cab in full it really sounds like a bass in a room. I had the mix around 50/50 and you get a nice thicker sound.
The 4 voice synth is very cool. You can get a sort of Sy-borg zappa sound out of it. Slowgear effect and the detune chorus gets some nice pad sounds with it.
All the synths have a kind of velocity triggered filter going on which can be a bit nippy at first but cool when you get into it. Some are more configurable than others.
The organ sound is good on the low E but sounds a bit neurotic on the higher notes.
You can get some really cool stuff with the looper. Still not got anything recorded yet. Will post something sooner or later.
I can see why people love the G3 format so much using this. The size and battery operation make it perfect to have just sitting around.

RIP Hal David

camstudio
09-02-2012, 06:38 PM
I had my Tele into the B3 today for a short while trying out the synths. Wow, I did not make it past the 4 voice synth again. Set it to a minor 7th and did a couple of layers with the looper, some chords doubled with the synth and jammed. I also set the expression pedal to the dry/wet mix balance. You can bring it right back to the dry guitar and blend in the synth.
My next project when I get a chance is to run an A/B box with a bass and guitar into the B3 and then into the G5 and use the looper. Set up a bass patch or two and this guitar patch above on B3. When the guitar is selected I just roll back the expression pedal and send the dry signal through to the G5 and blend in some synth if I want. Switch to bass and use the B3 amps/fx. Maybe even sample the B3 drums through the G5 effects onto the looper.
I may never leave the house again :phones

Jesus freak
09-02-2012, 09:46 PM
:aok

Sorefingers
09-02-2012, 11:43 PM
I had my Tele into the B3 today for a short while trying out the synths. Wow, I did not make it past the 4 voice synth again. Set it to a minor 7th and did a couple of layers with the looper, some chords doubled with the synth and jammed. I also set the expression pedal to the dry/wet mix balance. You can bring it right back to the dry guitar and blend in the synth.
My next project when I get a chance is to run an A/B box with a bass and guitar into the B3 and then into the G5 and use the looper. Set up a bass patch or two and this guitar patch above on B3. When the guitar is selected I just roll back the expression pedal and send the dry signal through to the G5 and blend in some synth if I want. Switch to bass and use the B3 amps/fx. Maybe even sample the B3 drums through the G5 effects onto the looper.
I may never leave the house again :phones

I've never been into synth and weird mods much before, but you can totally lose yourself in some of these pedals in the B3. I ran my bass and guitar through a POG2 then into the B3 or vice-versa and pooped my pants a little.

I do need to get an expression pedal, though. You using the Zoom brand?

I sold my Line 6 M13 after getting my B3, for what it's worth.

camstudio
09-03-2012, 08:25 AM
Hi Sore fingers, I have an old Boss FV-50L stereo volume pedal that works fine with a stereo to 2x mono cable. It did the trick with my old FBV shortboard as well. I sold my HD300 for the B3 after getting the G5. I'm not a massive synth guy myself. When I jam with others I tend to stick to wah, delay, clean and mild dirt. The 4 voice synth is more like a single note chord harmonizer than a synth really. When I mess about with solo stuff I like to use pad type things. I'm hoping to not bother with the computer synths and just use this set up for jamming out ideas.

camstudio
10-02-2012, 04:13 PM
I have a clip here from messing about with the G5 into the B3 idea. My first attempt was B3 into G5 but this time I switched it around and recorded some of it. I set up the loop with drums and guitar onto the B3 looper, swapped to bass then back to guitar. The file has been edited and I was not set up to record when I created the initial loop.

http://soundcloud.com/cam-watson/zoom-bass-1