PDA

View Full Version : HD500 and THR10 update

SatelliteNine
08-12-2012, 12:42 PM
So - an update. I don't post often, but my last couple questions have been in regards to getting a good boogie lonestar special-ish sound out of my HD500, and which small FRFR i should get.

In the interim, I stumbled across the yamaha THR10 on youtube. Picked one up, thinking I could return it if I didn't like it, and was pleasantly surprised that it sounded as good or better in person than it did in the youtube demos. Can't remember the last time that's happened. The vox and plexi sounds in particular are amazing.

Since any larger stages I (rarely, these days) play tend to have decent monitoring, I decided to hold off buying an FRFR and borrowed a speaker to dial in a few patches. I compared this to running my HD500 into the aux in of the THR10, and was pleased to discover that patches I made using the HD500 and THR10 tended to translate very well to larger PA/monitors. I actually preferred some of the tones built into the THR10, and used them as benchmarks to dial in a couple new sounds on the POD.

So I'm pretty happy with this little setup. I've got the THR10 for home practicing, and smaller rehearsals. It can (barely) keep up with a drummer using bamboos. POD HD500 for bigger direct setups. And the POD/THR combo for dialing in sounds at home, and for personal monitoring for places that have a quiet stage (ie churches) mandate. The THR provides a surprisingly nice amount of sustain/feedback with a little bit of volume :)

gurumonkey
08-13-2012, 09:45 AM
i have both and have experimented as you said. it's pretty awesome to use them both at the same time. The day myself and a friend had a bass going through the THR, then a split electric guitar and vocals patch running on the HD500, with the aux in on the 500 taking some drums from my ipod. a whole band! it was awesome. sounded impressive too!