PDA

View Full Version : Humbucker wiring question

cnb
08-21-2012, 03:26 PM
I'm shielding and rewiring an SX Tele-Deluxe clone at the moment, and I'm a little stumped on the wiring. I've got my new pickups into the pickguard. They are Entwistle HDN pickups, with red, white, green, black, and bare conductors. I see that black is hot, green is negative, and bare is ground (red + white not needed ATM)

I want to wire with just a volume and tone control and a 3-way switch. I want to avoid soldering to the back of pots because it infuriates me. If I shield my guitar, can I just solder all the grounds to the copper foil instead of the pots? This is the diagram I'm looking at: http://cdn.seymourduncan.com/pdfs/support/schematics/2h_1v_1t_3w.pdf

I'm really trying to keep this as simple as possible, however if there are any really easy mods to do to this wiring scheme I'd be interested. I do have a treble bleed in my parts box, so I'll probably toss that in.

Jef Bardsley
08-21-2012, 06:21 PM
If you're shielding the cavity, then you can just run the grounds to the pot lugs, which are much easier to solder.

Wesley Owens
08-21-2012, 06:53 PM
I think I would avoid soldering all the grounds to the shielding. As thin as that stuff is, I would expect a mechanical stability issue in the long run. Plus, if you ended up with a bad connection between the pot and shielding, you could lose your volume and tone control.

What is it that infuriates you about soldering to the pot? Is it doing it or how it looks? If it's how it looks, you could run some sort of solid ground bus wire from one pot to the other, soldered to the sides, and connect you other wires to that. Or take a star ground type connector that you would use in an amp chasis, solder it the the back or side of the pot, and solder your wires to it. Actually, now that I think of it, I might try some different ideas to make wiring to the pot look better on my next couple builds.