PDA

View Full Version : BuzzTone

BondoLonnie
08-24-2012, 11:00 AM
Hello,

My first distortion unit was a Jordan Boss Tone (Calf.) in the 60's. I remember it fondly. It plugged into my white Fender Mustang going into my Bandmaster amp.

A few years ago I picked up a Jordan Boss Tone on E-bay for about $150. I checked it out for a few weeks and decided to sell it because I was afraid the 40 year old circuit would give out and I would end up with an expensive, but quiet piece of nostalgia.

This week I ordered a Mahoney Buzz Tone Boss Tone Replica. It arrived today. It's really incredibly close to the original. The tone is great and it's a exact replica of the Jordan Boss Tone.

I know from reading the threads that almost everyone is aware of Chris Mahoney's terrific products but I wanted to add my two cents on this great pedal.

Bondo

Purplexi
08-25-2012, 02:51 AM
Thanks for the review! I was a Jordan Bosstone owner in 72, and I've been thinking about picking up one of Mahoney's to rekinder those amazing, and unique little buzz box sounds.

BondoLonnie
08-25-2012, 05:59 AM
I was playing the Buzz Tone last night with a Deluxe Memory Man and Verbzilla and was able to dial into some really, really nice tones. It was sounding a little like a cello or maybe a violin. Afterwards, I came upstairs and ordered his Cal Tone plug-in, the Randy California version.

With the Cal Tone he has three different circuits to pick from. Last night I was plugging the Buzz Tone into a floor Morley ABY switch so I could switch guitars easily with it and not have to worry about the unit scratching my guitars. For 3 or more the price drops from $50 to $40 each. Great little gizmos.

I'm new to this forum and don't know if you're suppose to be posting addresses but here's his address for ordering. He ships very quickly and provides tracking information.

sales@mahoneyguitargear.com

Someday people are not going to believe that they made effects that plugged into the guitar. It's hard to believe that in 50 years, effects have evolved from being single plug-in modules that attach to the guitar, to software programs like iRig and Guitar Rig 5 that give you hundreds of effects from your computer or cell phone.

It's great to have a little piece of nostalgia in my effects collection. I would love to know the story of what got Chris starting in reproducing these plug-ins. It's not a quest many people would pursue.

Have a good one.
Bondo

Gretsch47
08-25-2012, 07:36 AM
The Monsterpiece Angry Dick 2000 is also a Jordan Bosstone clone. It's a great sounding fuzz circuit for sure.

BondoLonnie
08-25-2012, 08:27 AM
I see you have a Gibson Skylark. My first amp was a Skylark. I remember the Tremelo on it.