PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Chandler/Gilbert Arizona in two weeks- any suggestions?

Noah
08-29-2012, 09:48 AM
My wife and I are relocating to the Chandler/Gilbert area in Arizona in mid-September.

Any tips on the area or advice on anything local would be appreciated.
Good food, housing, meeting musicians, etc.

Need the name of a good guitar tech also.

I lived in Tempe (went to ASU) over 12 years ago so yes, I know about the heat.

Thanks!

Bluedawg
08-29-2012, 10:59 AM
Krishna Cafe for vegetarian Indian ... I don't miss the meat and a great buffet

There's now a Chompies at the Chandler mall for NYC style deli sandwiches and great bagels .... wish they could put one in my town or at least Tucson

save up and buy local with a Glaswerks amp :banana

:munch

acrane13
08-29-2012, 11:06 AM
I don't know of any guitar techs in your area but if you are willing to take a little drive, Billy O'Reilly at B&D guitars is a great tech and very honest guy. He is located in north phoenix off deer valley so its a bit of a drive. The only other place i take my stuff is Guitar Electronics off of dunlap. I have only ever had amps and rewiring done there and i dont know who their setup guy is.

mesa/boogieman
08-29-2012, 11:20 AM
Welcome to the East Valley. Gilbert is a very nice town to live in. Very family oriented. I have used 2 guitar techs in the valley that I both like. There is TJ at TJ's music on Country Club and Elliot. I take guitars to him since he's close by. I think the best shop in town is Guitar Electronics on 25th Street and Dunlap up in north PHX. They do really good work and they know their stuff.

The best restaurant in town (and I'm VERY biased) is the Aloha Kitchen on Alma School and Guadalupe. Great Hawaiian-style food. Good mexican can be found at Si Senor on Ray and Alma School and the best Italian food I've personally had in a long time is at Riga Tony's on Warner and McClintock.

EdmundGTP
08-29-2012, 11:52 AM
I've had limited experience with guitar/amp techs in the area. M-troniks in downtown Mesa did some maintenance on a tube amp of mine a while back and I have no complaints there. Small shop but a very interesting/diverse collection of guitars and amps.

Dr Vintage (Rick Norman) is local to the North Phoenix (last I knew anyway) and he did great work setting up and upgrading the electronics in my 335.

These days I do my own setups and equipment maintenance, so I don't really have the LATEST scoop on techs.

Between Tempe, Scottsdale, Chandler and Gilbert the options for good food are really almost endless.

These days you should be able to score a great deal on a house in Gilbert or Chandler. More so in Gilbert than Chandler seeing as it's slightly further from the "central valley region". Home prices increase significantly the closer you get to the Tempe/Scottsdale area.

Good luck on the move!

Bluedawg
08-29-2012, 11:59 AM
And save a day for driving to Tucson and visiting Rainbow guitars

http://www.rainbowguitars.com/

:banana

AndrewSimon
08-29-2012, 12:58 PM
I don't know of any guitar techs in your area but if you are willing to take a little drive, Billy O'Reilly at B&D guitars is a great tech and very honest guy. He is located in north phoenix off deer valley so its a bit of a drive. The only other place i take my stuff is Guitar Electronics off of dunlap. I have only ever had amps and rewiring done there and i dont know who their setup guy is.

+1 on Billy... by the way when I first met Billy he had his shop inside Guitar Electronics..... small world.

:agree

acrane13
08-29-2012, 01:37 PM
Yeah that is where i first met him as well. Then he moved his shop out to tempe and then moved back to deer valley. Lucky for me to because it is now just a 10 minute trip for me.

RichieD
08-29-2012, 03:56 PM
I've had good experiences with Rush Harley (yes, that is his real name) at Buchanan Music in Mesa. Also had good experience with TGP's own Sweetfinger, although his Phoenix shop was a bit of a drive for me.

So which part of Virginia are you moving from? I moved here from Vienna, Virginia.

As for food, I love me some Mexican food from a shop named Mango's Mexican Cafe. And just next door is Milano Music, a large locally owned music store. Another favorite is in Queen Creek, San Tan Flat (http://www.santanflat.com/#!) is an indoor/outdoor grill and saloon with live music Thrusday through Sunday.

Noah
08-29-2012, 04:22 PM
Thanks for all the help guys, I'm moving from Manassas, VA, although before that I lived in the Richmond area for several years.

I actually remember a few of these places. M-tronix was just starting up when I was out there and I remember Bob Buchanan from many many years ago. He used to have a shop at the bottom of Milano's and was really cool. I even went with him to the NAMM show when I was a teenager.

I'm excited to get playing again. I have a great bass player waiting so I just need to find a drummer.

Anyone know of good Asian food places out there? My wife is Vietnamese and loves the crazy spicy stuff.

...oh, and I do have an awesome Soultone 1x12 combo so I think that is local?

TheRockDoc
08-29-2012, 06:13 PM
Tell my old girlfriend I still say "go F* yourself"?

:)

musicman10_1
08-29-2012, 06:38 PM
Welcome to AZ.

John

AEROSNIFF
08-29-2012, 07:38 PM
There is only one place in AZ I want to live, it's call San Diego.

Teleplayer
08-29-2012, 07:43 PM
Noah - I sent you a PM

Sweetfinger
08-30-2012, 12:53 AM
Anyone know of good Asian food places out there? My wife is Vietnamese and loves the crazy spicy stuff.

My fave Thai place, Char's, was sold and remodeled as a Thai Rama. It's probably still good food (I've never had bad Thai food), but Char's had legendary decor.
Since I live in central Phx, I don't have much else for hot food in the east valley but I will say that the 11 spice Salmon at Sakana is pretty good. Sakana is a sushi place on Elliot just west of the I-10.
There are whole Vietnamese shopping plazas in Phoenix like the one that houses Da Vang:
https://plus.google.com/117837558889860839487/about?gl=US&hl=en-US

Dunno how "authentic" it is but I LOVE the Larb at the Thai Hut on Central and McDowell.

Noah
08-31-2012, 01:20 PM
Thanks for all the info! Everything is set now so we'll be out there the 17th!

Some funny responses here- San Diego is great, but I am going to Arizona so that post was useless...
don't think I'll be telling anyone to "F" themselves either, but I get it...I have some ex-gfs I hope to avoid also. Anyway, hopefully everything goes smoothly.

Also, I accidentally deleted my PMs when I was going through them the other night..thanks

bsteff666
08-31-2012, 03:01 PM
Its a dry heat.

Bluedawg
08-31-2012, 04:03 PM
Its a dry heat.

Now that the monsoons are almost over ....

:bonk

mynameisjonas
09-01-2012, 01:02 AM
There are tons of vietnamese places in the east valley. I only eat Pho about once or twice a year so I don't remember the names but some are good , some are ok. I'm in Gilbert and have lived in the east valley my whole life btw so feel free to PM if you have any questions about the area.

earthmud
09-01-2012, 11:25 AM
I don't know of any guitar techs in your area but if you are willing to take a little drive, Billy O'Reilly at B&D guitars is a great tech and very honest guy. He is located in north phoenix off deer valley so its a bit of a drive. The only other place i take my stuff is Guitar Electronics off of dunlap. I have only ever had amps and rewiring done there and i dont know who their setup guy is. Billy rocks and IMO the best tech in town and I've been to most of them over the last 10 years.

Noah
10-05-2012, 11:30 AM
Just thought I'd give a quick update. The move went well and I'm having a medium sized house built in Gilbert near San Tan Mall. The prices here have gone up but are still amazing compared to the D.C. area! We found some great Vietnamese Pho places already so the wife is happy(two good ones- Dragonfly and Khai Hoan).
I haven't had time to do anything guitar related yet, but will start looking for a band to sing or play guitar with soon.

Neer
10-05-2012, 11:33 AM
One of the best guitar repairmen in the business is Mike Lennon of the Apprentice Shop in Oro Valley.

mesa/boogieman
10-05-2012, 11:33 AM
Just thought I'd give a quick update. The move went well and I'm having a medium sized house built in Gilbert near San Tan Mall. The prices here have gone up but are still amazing compared to the D.C. area! We found some great Vietnamese Pho places already so the wife is happy(two good ones- Dragonfly and Khai Hoan).
I haven't had time to do anything guitar related yet, but will start looking for a band to sing or play guitar with soon.

Welcome to the state! My family and I just moved pretty close to where you are. Higley and Frye. Nice neighborhood and a lot less driving for us since we were living on Kyrene and Chandler Blvd.

gtrbarbarian
10-05-2012, 11:35 AM
Go to Sedona and Flagstaff to get into nature....

Or go to Tucson... and while you're there, El Charro has the best interior mexican food you'll ever have....and Lil' Abner's has the best steak and ribs.....

Two things I miss about AZ....

pjrhd28
10-05-2012, 11:40 AM
Cave Creek guitars up in Cave Creek--

Low profie and a bit of hike from where you live, but serious gear.

Rainbow in Tucson is good, too.

RichieD
10-05-2012, 11:47 AM
Just thought I'd give a quick update. The move went well and I'm having a medium sized house built in Gilbert near San Tan Mall. The prices here have gone up but are still amazing compared to the D.C. area!

Welcome!

Prices have gone up, but they are still nothing like they were 6 to 8 years ago. Be glad you didn't come then, or you'd probably owe more on your home that it is worth.

Gilbert is a nice place to live. I lived at Higley/Ray for a long time before moving a bit more east and south to get a more affordable, bigger house. Enjoy!

Blue Light
10-05-2012, 12:03 PM
Head up to Superstition Highway - 60 - and head east. Stay on 60 past Apache Junction, Gold Camp, etc, and head out into the country. It progresses in a northeasterly manner and takes you through canyons, old mining towns and whatnot. The Salt River Canyon is up there.

You could go all the way to Show Low and spend the night.

I haven't done this drive in years but when I lived in New Mexico I was always hurtling up and down that highway on my motorcycle. I have some sterling bright memories of that road.

The tour straight north to Sedona and all those rocks is a must some day, of course.

Or, hell, closer to home, just load up a picnic and go to the Lost Dutchman Park just north of Apache Junction:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f4/SUPERSTITIONS_AZ15.jpg/256px-SUPERSTITIONS_AZ15.jpg

EdmundGTP
10-05-2012, 12:05 PM

I can only speak for myself on this, but I think EVERYTHING here is amazing compared to the DC area..

Teleplayer
10-05-2012, 12:25 PM
I can only speak for myself on this, but I think EVERYTHING here is amazing compared to the DC area..

Different strokes/perspectives.

Boris Bubbanov
10-05-2012, 01:05 PM
I just wanna say my walk at Scott's Run along the Potomac, in Fairfax County, VA today was a little warm but it was spectacular. There's this upturned "reef" of rock, exposed high above the riverbed. Great long distance views.

+

I'm a bit surprised there's no batch of foreclosures to buy from in the Phoenix Area.

+

I admit it, Cochise Stronghold (SE Ariz.) is just right in January!

musicman10_1
10-05-2012, 01:57 PM
+

I'm a bit surprised there's no batch of foreclosures to buy from in the Phoenix Area.

You have to compete with the investors who have cash and can buy multiples in any neighborhood that strikes their fancy.

mark norwine
10-05-2012, 02:02 PM
watch out for rattlesnakes.

arothamel6360
10-05-2012, 02:11 PM
I'll second the recommendation for Rush at Buchanan's. He's a good guy and a great tech. He was even excited to teach me how to crown & level frets on his own down time.

I don't want to slander anybody, but avoid the "luthier" at Out on a String. (Located on the NE corner of Gilbert and Pecos) He took 6 weeks longer than promised to get my guitar back after a basic setup and a new nut, and the guitar hadn't even been touched.

Welcome to AZ!

mesa/boogieman
10-05-2012, 03:59 PM
watch out for rattlesnakes.

And scorpions!!! :omg

Been here for 8 years now and have yet to run into either. Here's hoping I never do :hide2

EdmundGTP
10-05-2012, 04:07 PM
I'll second the recommendation for Rush at Buchanan's. He's a good guy and a great tech. He was even excited to teach me how to crown & level frets on his own down time.

I don't want to slander anybody, but avoid the "luthier" at Out on a String. (Located on the NE corner of Gilbert and Pecos) He took 6 weeks longer than promised to get my guitar back after a basic setup and a new nut, and the guitar hadn't even been touched.

Welcome to AZ!

I'll throw in another recco for Rush. I just (literally this past weekend) had him do a fret level and crown on my latest strat build and it came out AWESOME! VERY fair in price and pretty good turnaround. He and the other guys at Buchanan's are great to deal with or even to just stand around and BS with.

Geosh
10-05-2012, 04:11 PM
Welcome to the neighborhood!!

Darren Mahoney (Mahoney Guitars) is a FANTASTIC guy if you need work done. He has done a couple setups for me and does ALL the work for a couple bandmates of mine. He does great work, pretty quick turnaround time, and has good prices too. He is over in Tempe near I-10 and Guadalupe.

dumbell78
10-05-2012, 05:04 PM
and the fact banks are still holding onto the rest of the REO inventory they have. They arent looking to flood the market again with REO homes.

Lived in Chandler for about four years, nice city overall. Really like the east valley more so than the west. You made a good choice as to where to live, best of luck to you!

You have to compete with the investors who have cash and can buy multiples in any neighborhood that strikes their fancy.

Teleplayer
10-05-2012, 05:16 PM
There's a ton of property out here they can't give away. A huge part of the "wealth" in the area was built/based on highly speculative real estate transactions.

Where was the next "big play" going to be.....hmmmm.......queen creek......casa grande.....

Noah
10-05-2012, 06:57 PM
I don't know about the property they can't give away, but the areas we were looking in were tough. Every house we tried to place a bid on was bought the same day for cash before we even had a chance. It was extremely frustrating.
After losing about a dozen houses to buyers with cash, I found a great area with new homes (only 2 were left) and got everything I wanted and tons of upgrades for the same price as the used homes we were looking at.

RichieD
10-05-2012, 07:56 PM
I don't know about the property they can't give away, but the areas we were looking in were tough.

My co-worker recently got divorced and he put his house on the market (as a short-sale since he was way upside down in it) and he had several offers on it, most over short-sale asking price. All of them were cash offers and all of them were investors.

Around my neighborhood there are several parcels of land which had started development during the housing boom but were abandoned when the market tanked. Most of them have re-started development. Perhaps there is a lot of available homes/properties, but I wonder if they are in areas which are not so desirable to live in.

arthur rotfeld
10-05-2012, 08:00 PM
pEjmPYvj-Xk

TheRockDoc
10-05-2012, 09:46 PM
don't think I'll be telling anyone to "F" themselves either, but I get it...I have some ex-gfs I hope to avoid also.

and here I thought you and I were buds... I only asked for ONE thing!

:)

EdmundGTP
10-06-2012, 12:13 AM
My co-worker recently got divorced and he put his house on the market (as a short-sale since he was way upside down in it) and he had several offers on it, most over short-sale asking price. All of them were cash offers and all of them were investors.

Around my neighborhood there are several parcels of land which had started development during the housing boom but were abandoned when the market tanked. Most of them have re-started development. Perhaps there is a lot of available homes/properties, but I wonder if they are in areas which are not so desirable to live in.

I've heard a lot of the same thing from people who have been looking for houses over the past couple years. Homes that are what most would consider to be "move-in ready" (require little necessary work; ruling out most foreclosures which typically sit unoccupied for upwards of a year and degrade), are in desirable locations, and are priced between 200-350K are being bought almost as soon as they become available on the market.

I've heard that the amount of houses available on the market at any given time is being closely regulated in an effort to control supply and help maintain property values. That along with a lack of manpower to process the large quantity of mortgage defaults, would explain why so many foreclosures are left to rot, unoccupied for sometimes well over a year before the bank will actually put it up for market.

I've been in my place since 2008 and saw local property values drop by almost 40% at the worst point, but they've crept back up to almost 80% of what they were 4 years ago already. Not sure if that will continue, but either way I figure I'll be in my place for at least another 3-5 years before I could break even on selling it.

Noah
01-03-2013, 12:19 PM
Just a quick update from AZ...got a great deal on a beautiful brand new house in Gilbert for at least half what it would have cost anywhere near the D.C. area. Got to pick out all the upgrades and interior stuff ourselves so that was fun. The house already went up in value since I bought it!

We spent Christmas with my family for the first time in 10 years and it was really great. I love the new job and so far everything has been almost too good to be true. Moving away from the D.C. area was the best thing I've ever done.

The only negative is I haven't found a band to sing/play with yet. I've been looking but craigslist hasn't been good. I did already know a great bassist so we have been jamming on all kinds of tunes...might play an open mic night or two soon for fun. Any guitarists in the area want to play?

I also checked out a some cover bands that had ads out, but my heart just wasn't in it. I can't sing/play 4 sets of music I don't even like and get up for work the next day at 5:30 am. There are a lot of...average classic rock bands and 80s/90s type metal type bands still around here. I've only seen one really great singer and he was doing an Elton John tribute thing.

I did notice the prices on the local craigslist are INSANE! i've never seen anything like this area for gear prices...just stupid asking prices. Sometimes way above even brand new prices. Weird.

arothamel6360
01-03-2013, 11:42 PM
I did notice the prices on the local craigslist are INSANE! i've never seen anything like this area for gear prices...just stupid asking prices. Sometimes way above even brand new prices. Weird.

Glad to hear you settled in well. Unfortunately, the music scene around here has a tendency to be less than great at times.

You'll likely become familiar with a few types of ads posted by about four different guys. They're all horders and are very delusional about asking prices. If you look often enough you'll be able to pick out which sellers to avoid with ease.

armadillo66
01-03-2013, 11:54 PM
Standard gear for living in Arizona, a snake hook and plastic 5 gallon bucket with a lid for disposing of porch crawlies, a good single action in 44 or 45 Colt caliber, and a metal detector with gold coil capability and a good spare tire, five gallons of water and a solar cell battery recharger always in your vehicle
Friends of mine living down there swear by these, especially the five gallon bucket & snake hook, the metal detector has paid for itself many times over in gold(they paid over $800 for a real good one) and their home made drybank rig gets them gold dust.

musicman10_1
01-04-2013, 07:05 AM
I've lived here since 1995 and I've never been able to figure out the music scene. Finding a band is difficult and I've just given up. My theory is that rehearsal space is tough to find and almost no one has a basement in their home and the garage is just too damn hot to practice in and so getting a band going it more difficult here than in other parts of the country. (I know that there are bands and that I've oversimplified the situation but . . . this the best excuse/reason that I've got.)

Craigslist is just a jungle. You can occasionally find a deal but it is rare and if you are trying to sell something then be prepared for total weirdness.

Bluedawg
01-04-2013, 09:20 AM
Moving away from the D.C. area was the best thing I've ever done.

I left the Baltimore area and moved to AZ in 2003 ... a great move for us ... especially since my wife's family is here

My music experience has been good ... but I am playing rythym guitar in jazz bands in Tucson and southeast AZ that don't pay much ...

I play in other bands that are more for charity work ... churches and stuff

Would love to do a blues rock or small combo jazz gig ... but I'm stretched thin as it is

I'll have to see about getting me a bucket and a snake hook .... no rattlers in my yard yet, but I've seen plenty of other harmless ones here and my neighbor has caught a few rattlers

Glad you are enjoying AZ

armadillo66
01-04-2013, 11:37 AM
Cave Creek guitars up in Cave Creek--

Low profie and a bit of hike from where you live, but serious gear.

Rainbow in Tucson is good, too.

Stop in at the biker bar and have a beer with Sonny Barger, tell him we said hello

Geosh
01-04-2013, 04:41 PM
...I did notice the prices on the local craigslist are INSANE! i've never seen anything like this area for gear prices...just stupid asking prices. Sometimes way above even brand new prices. Weird.

Yeah, its crazy. I hardly ever buy off Craigslist here anymore. Selling is just as bad, because people will big-time lowball anything you post regardless of how good a deal it is.

Bluedawg
01-04-2013, 05:40 PM
Stop in at the biker bar and have a beer with Sonny Barger, tell him we said hello

Last time I was in Cave Creek I think there were about 6 or more biker bars ....

Great place to cruise on the weekends whether you're on a bike or just out for a scenic drive

I love teh scenery up there

Noah
01-04-2013, 10:01 PM
Thanks for the tip on the biker bar, but I doubt I'll be doing that. I went into a biker bar 20 years ago near Prescott to use a phone when my car broke down and was not treated well (to put it extremely mildly). No more biker bars for me.

The local scene here is very weird...not sure if there is one actually.
I used to sing for a fairly popular band here around 10 years ago. We were voted best band in Phoenix in 1999 by AZ Republic, best new band in New Times, etc. We used to have the guys from the Gin Blossoms/Replacements and other bands up on stage with us. Brad Singer, the owner from Zia records saw us play one night and asked to be our manager.

Things were going well and we had great gigs in the valley area and Tucson, but then Brad passed away unexpectedly and the loss caused everything to fall apart. I took a job and moved away for 10+ years to work in Asia and other places.

I thought I'd be able to pick up some people quickly because I used to know so many musicians, but it hasn't been easy.

loudboy
01-04-2013, 10:23 PM
Thanks for the tip on the biker bar, but I doubt I'll be doing that. I went into a biker bar 20 years ago near Prescott to use a phone when my car broke down and was not treated well (to put it extremely mildly).

Wow - Pee Wee's on TGP!

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRF6-1wQWJ656yiEPDk8qx19nD0qPe-W6TSw62bhsDN-8RJuFTA

MandolinFan
01-04-2013, 10:34 PM
I am from the Coast, but we have a place in AZ to be close to the wife's family... in the cool months, of course.

The AZ music scene pretty much sucks. In my experience anyway. I've only been around it starting in the early 90's.

You had the Gin Blossoms go national and it created a swarm of clones that used nepotistic avenues to fill the clubs with one Hey Jealousy tune after another. A friend of mine called them "Mill Avenue Rockstars". There was a gang of about 10 posers who formed various line-ups and called themselves some cool name trying to keep it fresh. Yah, that worked. How many places are there left to play around there? Even the "Coolest" little dump to play in on Mill is history.

The corporate scene dried up in the 2000's, so the majority of decent paying gigs for weekend warriors has died off. So many players comp gigs, so the average rate is next to nothing. There's very little chance for someone who plays for a living to survive.

It's a small market. Few gigs = few good players.

The economy is picking back up again, so it should get better.

gtrbarbarian
01-04-2013, 10:38 PM
Find the bars and restaurants with mist hoses first....you're going to want some place to cool off.

During the summer, 10a- 4p stay indoors, it's 115F outside.

Be sure to take in a game at Bank One Ballpark.

Visit Tucson, Tubac, Sedona, and Flagstaff.

In Tucson, eat at El Charro, get their carne seca.
Also in Tucson, visit Lil' Abner's steak house, opened in the 1930's..best steak and ribs I've ever had, and I live in Texas.

Visit the many tequila bars in AZ...just like scotch, wiskey or fine wines, there is a culture with tequilas. All of AZ gets tequilas from Mexico and other latin countries. There are also some good micro breweries in AZ for your beer fix. Copper Canyon brewery comes to mind...I believe it's in Chandler....

Drive to San Diego or L.A. from AZ...great drive....or Las Vegas, which is only 250 miles away from Phoenix proper..

Noah
01-04-2013, 11:00 PM
I am from the Coast, but we have a place in AZ to be close to the wife's family... in the cool months, of course.

The AZ music scene pretty much sucks. In my experience anyway. I've only been around it starting in the early 90's.

You had the Gin Blossoms go national and it created a swarm of clones that used nepotistic avenues to fill the clubs with one Hey Jealousy tune after another. A friend of mine called them "Mill Avenue Rockstars". There was a gang of about 10 posers who formed various line-ups and called themselves some cool name trying to keep it fresh.

Yeah, I probably knew all those "Mill Avenue" rock star guys, but wasn't in that scene. I was playing mostly instrumental music through the mid 90s but I knew them all from working at a few local clubs. I"m not sure where your hostility comes from. To be honest nearly all of the guys I knew in those bands were nice people. When I did start a hard rock power-pop band in 1999 those same people were very cool about helping to get us gigs and stuff. The only one who was ever consistently a real jerk was the singer for one of the most popular groups.
I never got involved much in their world, but at least it was a strong music scene where people would go out and see the bands.
I disagree about the "swarm of clones" thing also. I can't remember any band that actually sounded just like the Gin Blossoms and I was working at the clubs 5 or 6 nights a week all through the 90s. I guess the Pisteleros might have had a similar sound, but that's because Doug Hopkins wrote the songs. There were bands that were considered a part of the "desert" sound like the Peirsons, Dead hot Workshop, Satellite and a few others, but nobody really copied the Gin Blossoms as far as I ever heard. There were more grunge/metal bands than anything during those years.

Bluedawg
01-04-2013, 11:00 PM
Find the bars and restaurants with mist hoses first....you're going to want some place to cool off.

During the summer, 10a- 4p stay indoors, it's 115F outside.

Be sure to take in a game at Bank One Ballpark.

Visit Tucson, Tubac, Sedona, and Flagstaff.

In Tucson, eat at El Charro, get their carne seca.
Also in Tucson, visit Lil' Abner's steak house, opened in the 1930's..best steak and ribs I've ever had, and I live in Texas.

Visit the many tequila bars in AZ...just like scotch, wiskey or fine wines, there is a culture with tequilas. All of AZ gets tequilas from Mexico and other latin countries. There are also some good micro breweries in AZ for your beer fix. Copper Canyon brewery comes to mind...I believe it's in Chandler....

Drive to San Diego or L.A. from AZ...great drive....or Las Vegas, which is only 250 miles away from Phoenix proper..

And don't forget Cielo Rojo Bacanora ... it's the Sonoran agave spirit ... as opposed to Tequila which is from Jalisco and is made from Blue Agave

http://www.wineinquirer.com/2011/07/the-sonoran-spirit/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacanora

fusionbear
01-05-2013, 12:00 AM
My Dad was born in Jerome, AZ and loved the heat. My oldest brother lives in Scottsdale, he also loves the heat. I just cannot get used to the heat... More power to you. Please pay attention to the post by armadillo66...

He is right on the money...