PDA

View Full Version : Budda Superdrives.....which one?

Papa Van Smack
09-01-2012, 06:30 PM
Overall volume isn't of huge importance to me. But knowing the voicings will be different with the different tube types at the different wattages offered, how would one go about deciding which one to purchase?

I'm interested in the 18, 30, and 45.........naturally I've read plenty about each, I'd be interested in hearing from current or former owners and to which they chose and why.

carbz
09-01-2012, 06:47 PM
I bought the V20 on a whim. I like the look of it...LOL. For some reason that series doesn't get much praise but I played an 18 and a 30 a while back before I bought mine and honestly there wasn't that much difference from what I remember. I do realize that more so when playing loud the kind power tubes do contribute to the sound but probably not as much as people think. I am sure you've played amps that had whatever power tubes in them and you come to find based on the sound they were different then you thought. If your looking for a combo the speakers are very efficient and they are very very loud amps. Like pretty much all tube amps the Budda really needs to be turned up to really appreciate it. Hope this helps. FWIW the used Budda's are probably in the top five amps of the best deals around.

Papa Van Smack
09-01-2012, 06:51 PM
I appreciate that, good info.

HoboMan
09-01-2012, 07:14 PM
The only one I've played is the SD45 that I own.
I did a lot of research & asking around before I made my purchase.

I know it's a matter of preference but the SD45 seem to be the favorite of most of the people who've tried multiple models.

I ended up going with the SD45 because I wanted the headroom on the clean channel.
The MV works really well and I'm able to get very good tones with the MV barely turned on.
With the MV working that well at low volumes I know that this amp will cover all of my needs where ever my band plays. Many time I don't know how big a place is until I get there.

skhan007
09-01-2012, 07:16 PM
The only one I've played is the SD45 that I own.
I did a lot of research & asking around before I made my purchase.

I know it's a matter of preference but the SD45 seem to be the favorite of most of the people who've tried multiple models.

I ended up going with the SD45 because I wanted the headroom on the clean channel.
The MV works really well and I'm able to get very good tones with the MV barely turned on.
With the MV working that well at low volumes I know that this amp will cover all of my needs where ever my band plays. Many time I don't know how big a place is until I get there.

+1.

The SD45 was head and shoulders above the rest of the Budda amps, IMO.

shanesiegle
09-01-2012, 09:51 PM
it depends on what you are playing of course. I have the 30 and I LOVE it. I am in a cover band at the moment and we go from old country to metal and with an overdrive I can cover it all very, very well. the 18 is a little more rock and roll and the 45 has more low end and is a bit more old school. I don't know if it matters but Since Dave Friedman co-designed the amp with Jeff Bober I take his opinion into account and he said the 30 was the best :)

Vallu
09-02-2012, 01:43 AM
Haven't played the others, but i own a budda sd 30, and i love it.

Papa Van Smack
09-02-2012, 08:05 AM
Would you think a 1x12 combo or a head w/ an avatar 2x12 cab w/ mixed speakers would be best?

shanesiegle
09-02-2012, 08:08 AM
Heads and cabs sound better but its more to carry around.

HoboMan
09-02-2012, 08:12 AM
Would you think a 1x12 combo or a head w/ an avatar 2x12 cab w/ mixed speakers would be best?

I run my SD45 into an Avatar 2x12 loaded with CL80s.
LOVE IT!

LPMojoGL
09-02-2012, 09:03 AM
I've only played the 18 (owned it) and the 80.
The 18 is kinda dark and has a smaller sonic footprint than the 80, which sounded more open and definitely bigger, louder. I'd choose the 18 if I wanted a blues rock amp where I could overload the power amp tubes, and the 80 if I wanted a modern hard rock machine.

ford
09-02-2012, 09:15 AM
I like the 30 the best... just a great, great, great, great sounding amp...

You really can't go wrong with any of them I'm sure...

spinner75
09-02-2012, 10:04 AM
I've only tried the 80 as that's the one i have. I have to say though that i've had a lot of amps and the Superdrive 80 leaves me speechless every time i plug it in. It's simplicity at it's best and nearly impossible to not get an amazing tone.

CraigSuperLead
09-02-2012, 10:49 AM
I'd go for a 45. There's nothing wrong with the 18 or 30, but the 45 is just a fun amp. It's very touch sensitive and sounds huge.

Braunzo
09-02-2012, 10:55 AM
I run the SD45 through a Mesa 2x12 and it slays...

It's like a chewier version of the old Marshall sound with a bit more balls. It's very dense sounding. I hate using the word heavy because it's not as tight and aggressive as a Rectifier. But it's heavy in the Jerry Cantrell or Kim Thayill sense of the word.

By far my favorite amp yet. I was dead set on a Bogner Shiva as I played one I really really enjoyed. Then my friend had a SD45 that he let me borrow as he was thinking about selling it. And it's been with me ever since. I've gone back to a few of my other amps at gigs to see if I dig that as much. But the Budda stands tall. The other amps are great for other applications, but man that Budda just has a feel. It's a little looser feeling but when it responds, it hits you in the chest.

Papa Van Smack
09-02-2012, 05:53 PM
I knew you'd show up Braunzo....lol. Great info guys.

Probably my final question, I hope.......I'm a guy who really likes compression, or at least my idea of compression. That would lead me to think maybe the 30 would be worth looking into. I'm already sold on getting a 2x12, no combo.

The styles I like to play are zz top, GnR, Joe B, and more or less throwing that dripping wet lead over anything I can. I mention zz top because that does involve some sag.....which from what I've read here would indicate the 45. Then again, I suppose the 45, and then buying a high quality compressor would give me the best of both worlds.

Braunzo
09-02-2012, 06:15 PM
If you really want to add a compressor that's cool... I don't think it needs a ton of help in that area. The amp cooks pretty hot out of the gate so you get some natural compression from the amp at square one.

I'm looking at getting a compressor for the sheer fact that I'm obsessed with a few specs of Gilmour's sound. I don't think I need, but I want to try one out for the hell of it.

SoCalSteve
09-02-2012, 06:32 PM
I've got the 18 and love that compression.

Never had the pleasure of playing the higher wattage models.

carbz
09-02-2012, 06:33 PM
Don't count the combo's out. Surprisingly it very much competes with a stack IMO. I really don't even need an amp of this magnitude for what I do but that combo could tear down a wall if I ever need it. I literally had to change the stock speaker because the amp was so Ffffing loud. Just nudging the master up a little I swore I was hearing a massive stack. It is by far the biggest sounding combo I've experienced playing. I had VHT Pittbull 45 1x12 combo a few years back and thought that was massive sounding. This 20 watt Budda with the stock speaker takes that up a notch.

shanesiegle
09-02-2012, 09:39 PM
I knew you'd show up Braunzo....lol. Great info guys.

Probably my final question, I hope.......I'm a guy who really likes compression, or at least my idea of compression. That would lead me to think maybe the 30 would be worth looking into. I'm already sold on getting a 2x12, no combo.

The styles I like to play are zz top, GnR, Joe B, and more or less throwing that dripping wet lead over anything I can. I mention zz top because that does involve some sag.....which from what I've read here would indicate the 45. Then again, I suppose the 45, and then buying a high quality compressor would give me the best of both worlds.
The 30 has plenty of sag as does the 18 since they have tube rectifiers. The 45 would be the least compressed of the three. The tone you want is the bread and butter of these amps.