PDA

View Full Version : BEST Analog Delay pedal

davidkiddmusic
11-18-2005, 11:50 PM
Looking for very warm, preferrably Tap tempo, ANALOG Delay pedal, with potentially longer delay times if there is a pedal out there like this... ? Any suggestions?

I already have the Maxon AD999 so please mention something other than that if you would.

Thanks.

dk

e-z
11-19-2005, 01:09 AM
Memory Lane. Only 550ms of delay time but it has tap tempo and sounds great. I got one last week and I dig it.

andershoeg
11-19-2005, 04:29 AM
well....it's not really analog all the way, but the Carl Martin "Delayla XL" is a really nice pedal! Got it my self, and love it! But it IS NOT analog all the way!! Give it a try, anyway! The memory lane I haven't tried, but it looks like a nice pedal too!

andershoeg
11-19-2005, 04:31 AM
BTW, it has got 1.000 ms delay.

Eric Pykala
11-19-2005, 05:22 AM
If you can get by with 550 ms. (and I can), the Memory Lane is wonderful. It has its own unique coloration, and it sounds really good. I've gotten lots of compliments on my sound since I got it about a month ago, replacing my Gigadelay. It's really earned a place on my board, and that's where its staying!-Eric

Rid
11-19-2005, 05:45 AM
The Maxon is pretty good to put it mildly.
The rest is just how you want the colour of your sound.
But the Maxon has all one could ever need in a serious good delay.

bgmacaw
11-19-2005, 08:13 AM
I'd also say that the Maxon is the best you'll find, at least at a reasonable price.

If you want more than what it offers, I'd suggest the Line6 DL-4 or Echo Park. While they're digital modelers, not analog, they can get a warm sound while giving you a wider range of options than a straight up analog delay.

BmoreTele
11-19-2005, 08:34 AM
I only know of one analog delay with tap tempo - the Memory Lane. That's it's big claim to fame.

It may be a good analog delay, but there are a bunch of those. And it may do modulated analog delay, but there are others that do the same (EHX DMM, Ibanez AD202, Yamaha E1010). And it has the expression pedal input to control feedback, but so does the Moog. And it may have an effect loop, but so does the Moog. And I imagine an effect loop can be added to most existing analog delays.

It all depends on your specific needs/desires.

I am not knocking the ML, just saying that it is the only delay that meets the feature set you specified.

Glowing Tubes
11-19-2005, 09:20 AM
If you're a purist this may not be for you but for me the best delay pedal I have ever had is the T-Rex Replica. Really does not color your tone. Its analog in/analog out with some digital monkey business in between;)

RC

davidkiddmusic
11-19-2005, 09:41 AM
Andersonguy, I have one of those too. I like it for its features but it sounds a little too digital for me at the same time. I just wish I could find something with the sound of the AD 999 with the features of the Replica. I have both on my board but I guess Im just seeing if there was something out there that I didnt know about already.

Thanks a lot guys.

Shon Kornfeld
11-19-2005, 04:12 PM
AHEM

the thread is "BEST Analog Delay pedal" with 9 replies and no one mentions the Toneczar Echoczar? why, cause its a 6 month wait right now? too expensive? seems like the clear winner to me... yes the Memorylane seems nice, i owned a Maxon AD80 and 900 and they were cool too, but if were gonna talk about the BEST, in order id have to say check out:

Toneczar Echoczar
Moog Analog Delay
Diamond MemoryLane

57special
11-19-2005, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by ShonCAE
AHEM

the thread is "BEST Analog Delay pedal" with 9 replies and no one mentions the Toneczar Echoczar? why, cause its a 6 month wait right now? too expensive? seems like the clear winner to me... yes the Memorylane seems nice, i owned a Maxon AD80 and 900 and they were cool too, but if were gonna talk about the BEST, in order id have to say check out:

Toneczar Echoczar
Moog Analog Delay
Diamond MemoryLane

Actually, the Cornish TES costs over twice as much as the Echoczar, and it's a 6 month wait (at least before you can even get on the waiting list)!!!

threm
11-19-2005, 05:27 PM
I have DMM, AD900, MemLane, Echoczar. It`s all good for different jobs but if I had to live with just one ............

the Ecoczar

theelectic
11-19-2005, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by 57special
Actually, the Cornish TES costs over twice as much as the Echoczar, and it's a 6 month wait (at least before you can even get on the waiting list)!!!

Too bad it's digital, huh? Which negates it for the purposes of this thread :)

Matt_Scogo
11-19-2005, 05:33 PM
Booo-yaaa... to the digi not analog!!! hehehehe

57special
11-19-2005, 05:40 PM
Actually, I was commenting on price and waiting insanities (you can tell from the quote) brought up by someone else. However, i'll bet that the Cornish can sound as warm and 'analog" as you want, as i've heard it compared to an tape unit in quality of tone.
Lastly, three other people posted in this thread in reference to digital or partly digital units. Are you now going to nitpick on their posts?

threm
11-19-2005, 06:01 PM
I have a bunch of delays; digital, analog, tape, pedals and rack.

I`ll claim that it`s impossible to get a digital delay to sound as bouncy, big, bold and fat as the Echoczar.

I`m not saying the Echoczar is the only way
but for that type of sound

Ce n'est pas possible

Boogie92801
11-19-2005, 06:25 PM
Memory Lane.

theelectic
11-19-2005, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by 57special
Lastly, three other people posted in this thread in reference to digital or partly digital units. Are you now going to nitpick on their posts?

LOL I should, shouldn't I? :) Chill out man, it was a nudge/wink type of post - I thought the :) :) said it all.

Don't worry, you still win for name dropping the highest priced and best delay. OK? <--- JOKE!!! :) :) :)

davidkiddmusic
11-19-2005, 08:47 PM
(laughing to myself) You guys are out of control! I love it. Thanks for all the delay pedal tips. Im definately gonna check out the Toneczar.

Just as a side note, what do you guys think of the Trex Replica as a delay pedal setting aside the fact that its not analog.

:D ;)

Shon Kornfeld
11-19-2005, 09:57 PM
hey david why dont we hook up sometime, id love to hear the 10/20 (huge fan of the 9/15) and you can check out my Echoczar. PM me or something

davidkiddmusic
11-19-2005, 11:22 PM
I dig man. Sounds cool. I have had the 10/20 for a little bit now and to be honest, for me, its an amp I will be keeping in my collection for many years to come. It is my sound. I swear by it. I have a 9/15 as well that I am actually selling right now... I love it as well, but got too much new gear on the way to finance and this is the only thing I can let go of right now. Ill probably buy one again later though. Anyways, I'll PM you my info. We'll definately hook up sometime man. Sounds cool. Thanks.

~dk

Rid
11-20-2005, 04:20 AM
but if were gonna talk about the BEST
The EchoCzar is the latest hype, but it is a good delay and very special.
The Maxon is simple, it is a proven delay, best is not always a tons of features, sometimes simple is the cure.
Anyways it is futile to talk about best.
;)

Richard Guy
11-20-2005, 06:03 AM
The BOSS DM-2 and DM-3 do it for me.

JKoeth
11-20-2005, 08:19 PM
This is my very humble opinion...

To some, the word hype suggests that the thing in question is undeserving. Sometimes hype is actually true and well deserved. Most often it is not true and is simply a passing fad.

To me, the Echoczar is neither hype nor fad. It is an impressive design and there is nothing like it out there. The sound alone is deserving of the praise it has received. The man who desiged it even moreso.

The many features are bonuses that make it extremely versatile. If you will make use of it's features, it may be the best to you. It is the best I have found thus far and I will not be looking to add another delay to my setup for a very long time.

It is somewhat expensive compared to some other delays but I have found that more often than not, you get what you pay for in the boutique market.

If you can afford to wait, it will probably be well worth it to you.

I hold Ed in the same league as Bjorn at BJF, Sean at Lovepedal, Dean at Snake Oil Strings, Paul Cochrane of Tim/Timmy fame, Lehle, Teese, Keeley, Brian at Tophat, Tom from ADL and Scotty at Pro Analog.

He is at the top of his game.