PDA

View Full Version : Pedal switching systems: Cusack PBTamer vs. Musicom Suggestions?

jccpraznman
09-05-2012, 12:53 PM
Hey guys, I front my band while carrying most of, if not all of the electric responsibility at the moment.

I had an Octaswitch setup a while back and decided to scale back, but now I'm looking to go back to some sort of switching system.

So here is my dilemma, as many lead guitarist/vocalists have said before, I want these pedals on at this time at this tempo but I don't want to stomp 8 times while I'm singing or transitioning into another song. I want to stomp once, get the desired pedal combination, and go back to playing/fronting the band.

I have a friend that has a PBT and he loves it.

I've been doing some research and the Musicom looks amazing but it is pretty expensive.

Has anyone used both of these. Looking to see what people have to say. Seems like your get more possibilites with the Musicom, but more flexibility to switch on the fly with the PBT, going from preset mode to mechanical mode.

Just wanted to see what some of you guys had to say.

Much appreciated.

mcdes
09-05-2012, 02:35 PM
The musicom does mid as welli, so if you don't need that, then the PBT will be fine.

rburkard
09-05-2012, 02:36 PM
Try a G-Lab GSC -3
Rene

sunken.anchor
09-05-2012, 02:39 PM
With the Musicom, you can use it in manual/mechanical mode, but you only have 4 loops available at a time. (You have to hit BANK UP or BANK DOWN to alternately access 1-4 and 5-8. It is doable, but it is not as streamlined as the PBT.)

jccpraznman
09-05-2012, 07:08 PM
What do you guys think is best "bang" for your buck?

jccpraznman
09-07-2012, 01:53 PM
I think I'm going to go with the musiccom, looks like it will best suit my needs. Thanks for your input gentlemen.

kingdavidy2k
09-07-2012, 06:04 PM
I ordered this a couple of weeks ago:
http://buzzelectronics.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=18_69&product_id=66
http://buzzelectronics.co.uk/image/cache/data/IMAG0398WEB-500x500.jpg

Programmable 8 loops. All individual switches can run in Preset mode or Loop mode.
Paid for it but haven't got it in yet. But will review it once I get it.

Standard version is like $215 + shipping from UK.
Mine cost me about $350 or something with upgrades: 2 leds for each switch, black color, extra send and return, etc...

onwingsoflead
09-07-2012, 06:48 PM
Shoulda gone PBT bro......

jccpraznman
09-07-2012, 06:55 PM
Well I haven't gotten anything yet, but The real motivation for the MUSICOMLab is the midi control for the timeline...but I'm thinking about possibly just going back to the dd20 and getting a memory lane and a cap for analog and tape stuff

The PBT is cheaper....

decisions decisions...

daz
09-08-2012, 08:04 AM
http://buzzelectronics.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=18_69&product_id=66

Programmable 8 loops. All individual switches can run in Preset mode or Loop mode.

Mine cost me about $350 or something with upgrades: 2 leds for each switch, black color, extra send and return, etc...

you didn't! This guy is a bozo. I bought a looper from them awhile back and his workmanship was so shoddy. Jacks drilled crooked; internal true bypass wiring was not done properly; parts were held together by electrical tape; and he left his fingerprints embedded in dried superglue when he glued the leds to the enclosure. He did have the decency to give me a partial refund. Never again!

tanee
09-08-2012, 04:49 PM

I actually wish there were more programable loopers that looked like this. Most programable loopers look like garbage.

kingdavidy2k
09-08-2012, 07:40 PM
you didn't! This guy is a bozo. I bought a looper from them awhile back and his workmanship was so shoddy. Jacks drilled crooked; internal true bypass wiring was not done properly; parts were held together by electrical tape; and he left his fingerprints embedded in dried superglue when he glued the leds to the enclosure. He did have the decency to give me a partial refund. Never again!

Gah! I wish I knew this...hopefully he's gotten better...

jccpraznman
11-29-2012, 12:37 PM
Ok I'm breathing life back into this thread.

I'm still looking.

I feel like the musicom has the upper hand because of presets and midi. I have a timeline, so being able to switch to an exact bank a/b with one switch plus other desired effects, sounds amazing to me.

However, does it lock you in and limit your freedom to what you can do with your sounds? I would only need about 5 or 6 sounds for worship/church stuff, and then band stuff is all going to be presets anyways.

Does the mechanical mode on the PBT make it more practical for on the fly stuff? I don't feel like there is a lot of buzz about the Musicomlab (possibly bc its so stinkin expensive), and the pbt has positive reviews, but would seem to only get me those 6 or 9 sounds, as opposed to banks of presets.

I'm really trying to find what setups guys use, that lead with electric and how they haven't compromised they're tones and playing, but also finding ways to make leading a lot easier.

BGrizzMayne
11-29-2012, 12:40 PM
I LOVE my Musicom because of it's small footprint and ability to use MIDI. The only downside is the price- but once you grab one, it becomes the heart of your board. I honestly don't think you'll regret biting the bullet and grabbing one, because it opens up a lot of possibilities. With that said, I'm sure there are other viable options as well.

jccpraznman
11-29-2012, 12:43 PM
Here is what I have:

EB VP > Tu2 > pulp n peel > WA Voyager > Fulltone Full drive 2 > Xotic EP booster > MicroPog > Strymon Timeline > DMB TT > Bluesky

Slidepiece
11-29-2012, 01:01 PM
I really cannot be happier with my Musicomlab. It's definitely expensive but well worth it if you want an excellent switching system. I've been searching for something like this for a long, long time. Always hated to tap dance especially while singing.

I sing and play all guitar parts in my band so I needed something to help me easily switch between rhythm sounds and lead sounds with delay etc. I have used this setup with a Timefactor, Modfactor and more recently the Timeline. I set it up so that each song has a preset so the only thing I need to do is sing, play and step on a button. Just worry about up to four different sections in a song. Intro, Verse, Chorus and Solo...boom.

http://www.joshpurnell.com/pedalboard-jp.jpg

When I'm with my band and we are working on new music I tend to take it out of preset mode and just select the pedals I need at the moment. Use the instant access mode or edit mode and it's easy enough to create new presets quickly. You could also setup a few generic patches to work with and tweak midi pedals on the fly if need be.

Ultimately, this is a fantastic switcher. If your band plays to a click and every song has a different bpm, there is really nothing better than just stepping on one switch for the pedals, amp channels and midi effects. Go for it!

BGrizzMayne
11-29-2012, 01:02 PM
Exactly- I sing harmony on almost every song and love having all my stuff in presets.

joshuathomasmurty
11-29-2012, 05:14 PM
Check out the Gigrig stuff. It seems like it would be perfect for what you need. Flexibility + presets and midi.

jccpraznman
11-30-2012, 09:19 AM
Thanks gents. I think I'm set on picking one up. I'm trying to wait and find one used.

It looks like they keep they're value, and rarely come up for sale.

Might be a while ha.

Slidepiece
11-30-2012, 09:21 AM
I ended up doing the same thing. Keep checking the emporium and ebay, one is bound to show up. Good luck!

jccpraznman
12-10-2012, 05:53 PM
To throw another wrench into things, I just found out about these:

http://www.disasterareaamps.com/shop/dpc-5

Seems cool, and very adaptable to a middle or small sized board. Not sure its worth $400 when you can pay a couple $100 more and get a musicomlab which is obviously bigger but like 3 times the horsepower with its capabilities.

I don't know, the DPC-5 still looks pretty cool though.

thoughts?

BGrizzMayne
12-10-2012, 05:59 PM
The DPC-5 is programmable, right? Looks like a very solid, small midi/looper solution, though there's no LED

jccpraznman
12-10-2012, 09:03 PM
I think so.. No big screen. Just different color led's to let you know which if your in bank 1 , 2, or 3. And then each bank has 5 presets.

Yes, from what I read it is programmable with midi.

Might be worth checking into a bit more.

willyboy
12-10-2012, 11:55 PM
This stuff from One Control I discovered from another post recently looks very interesting as well. http://www.one-control.com/crocodile-tail-loop.html

jccpraznman
12-12-2012, 10:14 AM
Yeah, I saw those. Looks cool, but I'm not sure I like the 8 switches running across the bottom unless it was in a mechanical mode like the PBT. Too risky for me to step on during a song and hit the wrong thing :-o

THe Musicomlab switches are fairly spread apart, doesn't seem like that'd happen too often, unless you have a really wide foot.

Cool switcher nonethless.

BGrizzMayne
12-12-2012, 10:49 AM
That's a good point. If you could control a DPC with a musicomlab, it'd be kind of cool to use the DPC-5 for all your dirt pedals, then be able to place pedals between dirt, and use the Musicomlab for modulation, reverb, trem, etc.

jccpraznman
12-17-2012, 05:11 PM
is there a global tap tempo button on the mkII? As in if you switch to a generic patch, like a worship setting, and you need to change the tempo for a song, can I do that? Or does it have to be locked in a preset?

jccpraznman
12-19-2012, 11:44 AM
Ok...I'm trying to fit my musicomlab on a pedaltrain pt2. Is it possible? Definitely looking to use all right angle patch cables, either lava or George L's. I think I can do it,but it may be super tight. I had a pt pro for a while and that was just to big for me. Any of you guys fit a musicomlab on a similar sized board? Pt2 is 24 x 12.5.

dbm
12-19-2012, 12:20 PM
I have nothing but good stuff to say about my musicomlab. Im in the process of setting up a monster rig using it as the basis. It will be controlling my amp, mobius, timeline, synth, and sampler presets. On top of that I plan on patching in the synth feed to where I can use my effects chain as an FX loop for the synth. So I can basically A/B between my pedalboard on my guitar or synth(including using the mod wheel for things like rotary speed etc, hellz yeah). I can only do this because I have a couple loops not currently being used, but hey.

The point is though that no matter what you end up wanting to do, the Musicom will likely be able to facilitate it given its relative flexibility and MIDI options. Hard to go wrong really.

jccpraznman
01-22-2013, 09:30 AM
Hey guys need your thoughts on this.

Ive got a friend who is willing to sell me a musicomlab efxIII(60 banks with 4 presets per bank)for $550 shipped. I also just finished chatting with Matthew of disaster area amps the other day and he said he could build me a DC 5(5 loops plus midi control) with 60 presets (12 banks of 5). The DC 5 is a lot smaller and doesn't have quite as much horse power as the musicomlab.

Musicomlab - $550 shipped, 60 banks with 4 presets per bank. Plenty of space between the preset switches. 8 loops, midi control out the wazoo, plenty of bells and whistles.

DC-5 Mod - $430 shipped, 12 banks with 5 presets per bank. Smaller, would fit better on a pedalboard. Switches are close together, I kind of have fear of stepping on the wrong presets during a set because of their close proximity. 5 loops and midi control.

Which would you choose and why?

Slidepiece
01-22-2013, 09:44 AM
With the DC-5 Mod can you control more than one midi device at a time?

Also, your rig might grow and expand and having the function switches on the musicomlab to control your amp channels is a nice bonus. I love the flexibility and total control the musicomlab can give you. There is a lot that little box can do if you need it. On a dark stage it is important to have that proper spacing between foot switches, that can certainly be frustrating.

If you're looking at a smaller setup you might be just fine with the DC-5. The 5 presets is nice but I've found I've not really had too many issues with songs having more than 4 sounds needed.

npfrs
01-22-2013, 10:52 AM
I got a Musicom last month. It has quickly become indispensable. Programming is a snap, so much so that the one time you might "miss" mechanical mode is really only a 30 second process of making a new preset.

BGrizzMayne
01-22-2013, 11:16 AM
I love my Musicomlab! Does everything I need....it's such a high price point but seriously worth it; the staple of every larger board.

BGrizzMayne
01-22-2013, 11:20 AM
Hey guys need your thoughts on this.

Ive got a friend who is willing to sell me a musicomlab efxIII(60 banks with 4 presets per bank)for $550 shipped. I also just finished chatting with Matthew of disaster area amps the other day and he said he could build me a DC 5(5 loops plus midi control) with 60 presets (12 banks of 5). The DC 5 is a lot smaller and doesn't have quite as much horse power as the musicomlab.

Musicomlab - $550 shipped, 60 banks with 4 presets per bank. Plenty of space between the preset switches. 8 loops, midi control out the wazoo, plenty of bells and whistles.

DC-5 Mod - $430 shipped, 12 banks with 5 presets per bank. Smaller, would fit better on a pedalboard. Switches are close together, I kind of have fear of stepping on the wrong presets during a set because of their close proximity. 5 loops and midi control.

Which would you choose and why?

The musicomlab in a heartbeat....I'm sure the DMC would be cool, but for a few more dollars, you get a LOT more features that will potentially future proof you. The musicomlab has function switching so you can channel switch your amp, or run a midi device out of the loop and tell it when to turn on/off.

I wish I could have gotten my Musicomlab III+ for 550! Rarely do you ever see these things used...probably because they are so awesome..

Sigmund
01-22-2013, 11:26 AM
The DPC can also channel switch and run a midi device :)

BGrizzMayne
01-22-2013, 11:32 AM
Can you switch multiple midi devices? Just curious if how many CC's you can send on the DPC

This is JMO, but for $120 more, you get more presets, 3 additional loops, the ability to send 4 midi CC's per preset, and a screen telling you which preset your own (albeit, you can't program a name for presets, that'd be cool)

A new Musicomlab III vs. a DC-5 Mod is a much different debate IMO, because they're in different price ranges. But if you find a good quality one for 550, that'd be tough to say no to

dbm
01-22-2013, 11:42 AM
Can you switch multiple midi devices? Just curious if how many CC's you can send on the DPC

This is JMO, but for $120 more, you get more presets, 3 additional loops, the ability to send 4 midi CC's per preset, and a screen telling you which preset your own (albeit, you can't program a name for presets, that'd be cool)

A new Musicomlab III vs. a DC-5 Mod is a much different debate IMO, because they're in different price ranges. But if you find a good quality one for 550, that'd be tough to say no to

When I contacted Musicom they said that you cannot send CC's on a a per preset basis....only PC's. The CC's are tied to the switch apparently. This was a bummer when I found it out. Other than that I friggin love mine.

BGrizzMayne
01-22-2013, 11:44 AM
Yeah, typo here. Meant 4 PC's per preset. Just curious, what exactly do you use the CC for/ what would be the advantage of sending one per preset?

(probably a dumb question)

dbm
01-22-2013, 11:54 AM
Yeah, typo here. Meant 4 PC's per preset. Just curious, what exactly do you use the CC for/ what would be the advantage of sending one per preset?

(probably a dumb question)

Well, I wanted to send a CC to Mobius or Timeline to disable them per preset. They share a loop and sometimes I want one but not the other. Not an issue if they aren't sharing though.

jccpraznman
01-22-2013, 12:24 PM
Could any of you guys post pics of your boards with the DPC-5 or musicmomlab? I'd be interested to see what they look like. I don't really want to go any bigger than a pt2...would consider a pt 3 if I did the musicomlab. Don't really want to do a pro.

I would super appreciate it.

sunken.anchor
01-22-2013, 12:49 PM
Could any of you guys post pics of your boards with the DPC-5 or musicmomlab? I'd be interested to see what they look like. I don't really want to go any bigger than a pt2...would consider a pt 3 if I did the musicomlab. Don't really want to do a pro.

I would super appreciate it.
Here's mine. The board is the same size as a PT-3. As you can see, I don't have things packed in very tightly at the moment.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-ECqwKCNbYaY/UO0IEygj0JI/AAAAAAAADIY/0RkITEj0cFA/s800/IMG_0984.JPG

With a 16" deep board, it's pretty easy to fit two rows of pedals behind a Musicom unit:
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-zT5WKsJtm9w/UO0H-SyvUrI/AAAAAAAADIQ/Klfud6TJNQU/s800/IMG_0979.JPG

dbm
01-22-2013, 01:02 PM
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j307/jbojangles/FinalBoard_zps1248f350-1_zps891e68aa.jpg

vertigo_
01-22-2013, 01:19 PM
The best part of DPC5 is you can control up to 2 strymon devices or 1 strymon and 2 factor pedals with it. And its not on the loop but on the midi channel so changing the present will have the delay spillover or reverb fade out from the pedals, which is awesome.....for the price, size, and awesome midi capability its dpc 5 all the way.

Also, dpc5 is coming out with a new firmware that will give it 60 presets - 5 presets x 12 banks

jccpraznman
01-22-2013, 04:21 PM
Dan guys this is crazy hard ha. Both seem awesome.

eenie meenie miney mo?

jccpraznman
01-23-2013, 09:04 AM
Ok I decided to do the DPC-5... just seemed more suited for my needs at the end of the day. No doubt the musicom is awesome... I just don't have a need for "all" that it does. So for price, size, and my needs I wen't with the DPC-5.

If I don't like it I can always go after a musicomlab later. Figured I'd try the DPC-5 first :)

jccpraznman
01-23-2013, 09:05 AM
Ok I decided to do the DPC-5... just seemed more suited for my needs at the end of the day. No doubt the musicom is awesome... I just don't have a need for "all" that it does. So for price, size, and my needs I wen't with the DPC-5.

If I don't like it I can always go after a musicomlab later. Figured I'd try the DPC-5 first :)