PDA

View Full Version : Best DIY pedal kit?

SirGilmour
09-09-2012, 08:16 PM
I searched around a bit and DIY does not work in the search. I came across General Guitar Gadgets and a few others but am wondering who has HIGH quality kits for any type of pedal. thanks for any input.

P.S. If someone posts a link to an existing thread Ill delete this one.

Cheers

ToneBum
09-09-2012, 08:41 PM
buildyourownclone.com is great (BYOC)
and there's also Madbean http://www.madbeanpedals.com/

Empros
09-09-2012, 08:45 PM
BYOC is awesome. High quality components and I'm always hearing great things about them. I built the Leeds Fuzz kit from them and it's really great. A friend of mine has the phaser and loves it, I don't think you could go wrong with any of their kits!

candletears7
09-09-2012, 08:56 PM
BYOC. I could totally rock an all BYOC board. The classics with a fresh twist, some original (ish) designs and combinations up there too. Awesome pedals.

SirGilmour
09-09-2012, 09:01 PM
Sounds like BYOC is popular! Thanks for all of the replies so far! Can't wait to build my first pedal!

candletears7
09-09-2012, 09:29 PM
You should sign up at the BYOC forum. What kinda sound are you going for for your first pedal?

SirGilmour
09-09-2012, 09:47 PM
You should sign up at the BYOC forum. What kinda sound are you going for for your first pedal?

Hmmmm......I was thinking a phaser or another dirt pedal. Just checked out BYOC and I am really impressed. I can't wait to order something! Have you done a phaser?

cj_wattage
09-09-2012, 10:56 PM
Have you done a phaser?
I built the BYOC Phase 90 and it was great. I also did their CE-2 clone, and it's still on my board a couple years later.

And their flanger is the closest thing I can find to my old Ross flanger. It's an *excellent* project.

candletears7
09-09-2012, 10:57 PM
The Phaser is quite good. I have built a few of the 2 knob versions and a Fully Loaded with all the mods. The regular 2 knob is fine, it pretty much sounds exactly like a Phase 90, nice and fat.

For sure CJ, the Flanger is one of the best I've had or played. So musical.

SirGilmour
09-09-2012, 11:26 PM
Great! Now I don't know whether to build a phaser or a flange! They don't sell the two knob phase any more.

SirGilmour
09-09-2012, 11:38 PM
How hard is the Phaser or flange? its going to be my first build but i am very mechanically inclined and can follow directions well. Ive soldered up guitars and cables before also. Thanks for any info

candletears7
09-09-2012, 11:46 PM
Huh, didn't realise that.
You could get this:

http://www.buildyourownclone.com/phaseroyal.html

and only put the speed and depth controls on the outside, and leave the rest as internal trimpots. Or, build it as is.

SirGilmour
09-09-2012, 11:49 PM
Huh, didn't realise that.
You could get this:

http://www.buildyourownclone.com/phaseroyal.html

and only put the speed and depth controls on the outside, and leave the rest as internal trimpots. Or, build it as is.

That's the one I was thinking. How difficult is it?

candletears7
09-09-2012, 11:59 PM
Not really difficult, so much as building pedals is a test of patience. And patience is a test of taking your time, planning your build and making sure that your soldering is neat and clean.
Check out this thread:

http://www.buildyourownclone.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6401

It's the Bible, and Stephen is a jedi!

Kit builds only really progress in difficulty based on the number of components. More components and flying leads off the pcb means more things can potentially go wrong, so take your time, neat and clean, and enjoy the building process. Rushing a build, making it messy and unreliable, and then having to trouble shoot through 100 different connections is no-one's idea of a good time.

Out of 10? I'd put the fully loaded phaser around 6 or so in terms of complexity. The simpler kits like the fuzzes or 250+ are like 3, very simple, but sound damn good! :)
My toughest build so far has been a modded small clone build, simple in terms of parts count and connections, but I suspect the opamps are giving me a hassle due to static or something else. Frustrating and rewarding!

Mr. Tyler
09-10-2012, 12:09 AM
I'm looking forward to getting my BYOC British Blues OD enclosure clearcoated. my girlfriend painted it green, with a sparkly crown. Pretty classy. I feel like it's real transparent, not much coloration at all, just more hair the hgher it goes. It's been a bit since i had it all together, though. Once i remembered to put the op amp into the socket, it worked on the first try, and i'd had very little soldering experience.

Coldacre
09-10-2012, 12:49 AM
BYOC are AWESOME! their clones are bang on... you cant tell the difference between them and the originals when you close your eyes (and listen with your eyes not your eyes!).

the OD2 is my favourite, the TS808 clone. also the Shredder & Ram's Head (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wy2kiZBadtk) are fantastic

78deluxe
09-10-2012, 08:35 AM
Hmmmm......I was thinking a phaser or another dirt pedal. Just checked out BYOC and I am really impressed. I can't wait to order something! Have you done a phaser?

I actually have 2 of the Phase Royals BYOCs.

Nice phaser, not sure I'd recommend it for a 1st build. Not the hardest build, but not the easiest either. Quite a few components, knobs and switches in a small area.

GuitarGuy510
09-10-2012, 08:56 AM
Another vote for BYOC, had a few of their pedals now and they were all great! :aok

cj_wattage
09-10-2012, 09:22 AM
In my opinion, the BYOC analog delay is their most challenging build. It's got a ton of parts and requires adjustment at several bias points. Not impossible for a first-timer, but I would recommend something else as a first build.

SirGilmour
09-10-2012, 09:26 AM
You guys are making me want to order a BYOC today! I think I'm going with the royal phaser. The instructions were very detailed and I think I can follow them. Any brand of solder you guys would recommend?

cj_wattage
09-10-2012, 09:34 AM
I've been using Kester solder for the last couple years. It's awesome. But that's the least of your concerns at the moment.

If you don't already have most of the tools on hand, I'd highly recommend BYOC's "beginner's tookit" (at least the basic one). It's an exceptional value and will set up you to start building.
http://www.buildyourownclone.com/tools.html

You'll spend way more buying that stuff individually (especially if you go to Radio Shack).

Dred/Fryer
09-10-2012, 09:36 AM
I actually have a byoc large beaver on the way, looking forward to building it!

El Degas
09-10-2012, 09:40 AM
Excellent advice. I love this forum.

SirGilmour
09-10-2012, 09:43 AM
I've been using Kester solder for the last couple years. It's awesome. But that's the least of your concerns at the moment.

If you don't already have most of the tools on hand, I'd highly recommend BYOC's "beginner's tookit" (at least the basic one). It's an exceptional value and will set up you to start building.
http://www.buildyourownclone.com/tools.html

You'll spend way more buying that stuff individually (especially if you go to Radio Shack).

I have some of the tools but after looking at their kit and that badass soldering iron I think I'm going to get their kit. Thanks for all the info guys. I honestly can't wait to start building my own stuff!

timhulio
09-10-2012, 10:36 AM
I don't know about 'best' kits. All the decent kit companies use professionally fabricated PCBs, quality resistors and caps and mostly easy-peasy 'paint by numbers' instructions.

Madbean and BYOC have already been mentioned. If you're in the EU, look into Musikding and Poodle's Pedal Parts too.

78deluxe
09-10-2012, 10:42 AM
In my opinion, the BYOC analog delay is their most challenging build. It's got a ton of parts and requires adjustment at several bias points. Not impossible for a first-timer, but I would recommend something else as a first build.

Actually I'd say it is pretty much impossible to do right for a 1st timer. Its not just about populating the board, you have to tweak it....and if you don't have an oscilloscope, you honestly can't do it right.

I realize they have instructions on how to set it up by ear, but that is really just for people that don't have the tools to do it the way it should be done.

Even many experienced BYOC's don't have an "ideal" version of the pedal, IMO.

SirGilmour
09-10-2012, 10:52 AM
I was never planning on doing the analog delay but thanks for the warning.