PDA

View Full Version : HSH guitars... what am I missing?

MichaelSaulnier
09-12-2012, 06:22 PM
I've got several SSS strats, and a nice SSH one that plays and sounds great.

I've been seeing a number of HSH guitars, in fact even a new Fender production model configured this way... but it's the Suhr's I've seen that really have me wondering... what am I missing by not having a guitar configured like this?

If you've got one... can you share how it's worked out for you?

Anything you love about the H neck pup, or miss by not having a S there?

M

rjpilot
09-12-2012, 06:41 PM
Its a fantastic pup config. Its got the les paul (if you will) HxH tones but you can get the position 2 and 4 start tones with some auto-split wiring options. Some folks don't like the middle pup as it tends to get in the way of their picking hand. I love the HSH config. I also like the HSS setup as well.

MichaelSaulnier
09-12-2012, 06:44 PM
Thanks rjpilot.

The Fender strat I tried had a nice neck pup sound, but you couldn't split either of the H's... and I wonder if I'd miss that neck single coil sound.

It doesn't sound like you miss it much, or do you have the ability to split on your guitar?

M

dspellman
09-12-2012, 07:22 PM

Anything you love about the H neck pup, or miss by not having a S there?

I've got several HSH guitars, and honestly, it's probably my favorite setup.
Mine are neck-through and either 25" or 25.5". Probably the main reason for doing one of these is the sound of a side-by-side humbucker at the neck position compared to a stacked or single coil. No problems with picking where the single coil in the center is concerned.

I have the same basic control system (in part because it means that I don't have to remember which one I've got <G>) on most of them: a five-way switch, a master volume/master tone, a pair of coil taps for the humbuckers and a bridge pickup add-in switch.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b149/dspellman/DC145body.jpghttp://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b149/dspellman/DC145Controls.jpg

The cream coils are the ones left active when the coil taps are activated. With the bridge pickup add-in switch DEactivated, it works like a strat. Flip the coil taps off and you pretty much have an LP type guitar (this particular one is mahogany body/neck with a maple top) at the ends of the five-way (bridge only, neck only), and if you want the "both pickups selected", you flip on the bridge pickup add-in with the five-way in the all-the-way-forward neck only position.

Obviously there are a LOT more choices with this combination of controls. You need a fairly hot set of humbuckers to make the coil tapped pickups sound good, but this does all of that pretty well. It's not *quite* as good as a good strat, not *quite* as good as a good LP -- there are compromises everywhere. Then again, you can do things with this guitar that you can't do with either of them.

blong
09-12-2012, 07:44 PM
I have a EB Silhouette with HSH, but I put a push pull pot in the tone position but only wired it to split the neck humbucker, so I get HSH or HSS. It's a great setup. I prefer it this way.

Bob

MartinC
09-12-2012, 08:51 PM
I'd have the same pre-conception about the neck pickup on a Strat style guitar. A Strat's neck pickup tone is the defining Strat tone for me ... and if I had to have only one sound in a guitar for the rest of my life, that would be it. So I'd be really reluctant to not have a bona fide, good quality neck single coil pickup.

That said, I'm watching this thread keenly in case I'm missing out too ... I've never tried an HSH configuration in a good quality, vintage oriented guitar (which rules out a lot of HSH guitars from the start methinks).

I read a glowing report recently on the Suhr Rasmus GG, which was a tantalising read as I really like all mahogany guitars, and the sounds section included reference to a bridge humbucker tone reminiscent of an SG, and a split neck humbucker that sounded just like Jimi ... now if that were true, in one guitar ... yes please!

[Edit: in fact, here is the review: http://beta.musicradar.com/gear/all/guitars/electric/6-string-solid-body/guthrie-govan-530530/review]

kleydj13
09-12-2012, 09:52 PM
A Strat's neck pickup tone is the defining Strat tone for me ... and if I had to have only one sound in a guitar for the rest of my life, that would be it.

So much this. I even put a strat neck pickup in my tele.

shane88
09-12-2012, 10:15 PM
what ur missing is room to pick without hittin the pu - as for tone options all my guitars have 1 pu & i get plenty of different sounds from the way i play & the vol knob - "covering all the bases" isn't the way i play :p

memiller
09-12-2012, 10:40 PM
what ur missing is room to pick without hittin the pu - as for tone options all my guitars have 1 pu & i get plenty of different sounds from the way i play & the vol knob - "covering all the bases" isn't the way i play :p

Thank you for your irrelevant opinion.

You're coming at this the wrong way. Don't think of it like a Strat with a neck humbucker. Think of it like a Les Paul with an added middle single coil. Make more sense now? If you're a Strat guy then you really aren't going to like an HSH setup. It gives you none of the typical Strat tones, even with coil taps. If you're a Les Paul guy then you'll be right at home and have some extra sounds available.

I wouldn't recommend an HSH setup to anyone that isn't already a humbucker player, unless they're looking specifically to branch out.

shane88
09-12-2012, 10:49 PM
i answered ur question HSH guitars... what am I missing?- i guess i could add that while i don't care for the harmonic content of the neck position if i was to have a neck pickup it would be a S

gtraddict
09-12-2012, 11:05 PM
I have an G&L Invader and enjoy it sometimes, and sometimes it feels like it gets in the way sometimes and sometimes miss the single coil. I guess the reason to have more than one guitar

MartinC
09-12-2012, 11:22 PM

If finances ever permit (which is not in the foreseeable future) I would love to add a Suhr Classic T to my guitar collection. I already know the specs and the neck pickup would be a V60LP ... the same pickup that I have in the neck position of my Suhr Classic ;)

MartinC
09-12-2012, 11:36 PM
You're coming at this the wrong way. Don't think of it like a Strat with a neck humbucker. Think of it like a Les Paul with an added middle single coil. Make more sense now?

I think it's natural to think of it as a strat with a neck humbucker ... HSH seems to be used overwhelmingly in double cutaway guitars with 25.5 inch scale lengths and trem bridges. Trying to think of it as a Les Paul with an added middle single coil seems like a pretty huge step away from a Les Paul with all these other usual differences in the mix. Adding an extra coil to an essentially Strat-like guitar (I'm thinking of an HSS Strat) seems like a small, natural progression.

That said, your opinion does shed some light on why people get bothered by the middle pickup ... which is already present on the vast majority of Strats.

Hmmm.

Hamer95USA
09-13-2012, 12:16 AM
I love the pickup configuration of the HSH on a Strat style guitar. I have 2 Hamer guitars and a '98 Fender Floyd Rose Classic Strat with this configuration and it kicks ass for me! Even though I've got a Fender Japan Strat with the SSS pickup configuration, those HSH Strat style guitars are my go to guitars for my cover band gig.

Guitar George

memiller
09-13-2012, 12:34 AM
That said, your opinion does shed some light on why people get bothered by the middle pickup ... which as already present on the vast majority of Strats.

Hmmm.

:aok

That's what I'm saying. Just because you like a Strat shape doesn't mean you want Strat tones, or vice versa. If you're a traditional SSS Strat kind of player then there's a 99% chance an HSH setup will give you hives.

MartinC
09-13-2012, 01:48 AM
:aok

That's what I'm saying. Just because you like a Strat shape doesn't mean you want Strat tones, or vice versa. If you're a traditional SSS Strat kind of player then there's a 99% chance an HSH setup will give you hives.

Ahhh ... so what you meant was think of it tonally as a Les Paul with an added middle single coil. That makes more sense ... though I'm hearing the rumbling of many feet charging towards this thread to tell us that only a Les Paul sounds like a Les Paul ... but I understand your point.

All said and done ... I'm still sticking with a single coil neck pickup until I can actually try and hear a split humbucker that nails a neck strat tone.

Gandalf5150
09-13-2012, 01:49 AM
Its a fantastic pup config. Its got the les paul (if you will) HxH tones but you can get the position 2 and 4 start tones with some auto-split wiring options. Some folks don't like the middle pup as it tends to get in the way of their picking hand. I love the HSH config. I also like the HSS setup as well.

You're coming at this the wrong way. Don't think of it like a Strat with a neck humbucker. Think of it like a Les Paul with an added middle single coil. Make more sense now? If you're a Strat guy then you really aren't going to like an HSH setup. It gives you none of the typical Strat tones, even with coil taps. If you're a Les Paul guy then you'll be right at home and have some extra sounds available.

I wouldn't recommend an HSH setup to anyone that isn't already a humbucker player, unless they're looking specifically to branch out .

The above points are what do it for me. I'm a LP guy through and though, but my current gig requires me to get Strat and LP type tones. HSH is an easy option for me.

NB: 2 guitars on stage is just not an option, as I simply don't have time to switch guitars.:bonk

Eagle1
09-13-2012, 01:58 AM
Think of it like a HH option with a few cool single coil tones in the middle and it makes more sense

wilblee
09-13-2012, 02:16 AM
Here's my HSH Strat. The middle tone knob has been replaced with a Turnstyle (http://www.turnstyleswitch.com) switch, that allows me to split the coils, but I have to admit that the setting I use most on this guitar is the native HSH setting. I, too, love the sound of "traditional" Strat pickups. So I have a couple configured that way. This is a different, but gorgeous (sounding as well as looking) beast.

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz262/Omanarama/My%20Guitars/Grrengeniecu.jpg

Sancho
09-13-2012, 02:29 AM
I'm basically a two humbucker guy who could make do with just the one.
Middle pickups never made much sense to me. they just get in the way of my pick...

I've got a couple of HSS guitars, but they might just as well be HS for how I use them.
Although even I have to admit that the 2 and 4 positions, even with humbuckers, can offer up some sweet tones.

I currently have one HSH guitar, a Fender Dave Murray sig. It has a three way switch and I can't say I miss the inbetween positions.

MartinC
09-13-2012, 04:07 AM
Here's my HSH Strat. The middle tone knob has been replaced with a Turnstyle (http://www.turnstyleswitch.com) switch, that allows me to split the coils, but I have to admit that the setting I use most on this guitar is the native HSH setting. I, too, love the sound of "traditional" Strat pickups. So I have a couple configured that way. This is a different, but gorgeous (sounding as well as looking) beast.

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz262/Omanarama/My%20Guitars/Grrengeniecu.jpg

That is a beautiful looking guitar. I love pearl 'guards, and the pearl HBs work really well aesthetically ... two HBs look a bit overwhelming by themselves ... especially covered

AudioWonderland
09-13-2012, 06:37 AM
I built a few mahogany bolt-ons with a maple neck / rosewood board. I went that route for max flexibility with minimum wiring. The first pic is the Warmoth VW. I had 3 of these 10 years ago that were destroyed in a fire. I built this one as a replacement.

The other I built 4-5 years ago. Its currently a HSH although the pic predates that change. I always use the simplest circuit possible for the electronics

http://members.toast.net/dwyss/Pics/vh.JPG

http://members.toast.net/dwyss/Pics/strat1.JPG

http://members.toast.net/dwyss/Pics/strat2.JPG

snowblind56
09-13-2012, 08:07 AM
I've had H-S-H setup on dozens of guitars, mostly Ibanez RG's, but I've even had it on a few Fender Strats. 99% of the time, I don't use the middle pickup. The main reason I go H-S-H over H-H is that the 5 way switch operates much more smoothly than a 3 way blade switch. I find the 3 way blades to have too much throw and are too clunky.

drbob1
09-13-2012, 09:01 AM
I've owned a number, most of them marketed as hard rock versions of classic guitars (Jackson, PRS, Fender, Gibson at least) and only one of them really seemed to be worth the effort. That was the Gibson Studio Lite MIII. The M3 wiring included a coil tap with left the outer coils on in a humbucking configuration with the middle pickup AND when you clicked it to the non-coil tapped setting the middle coil was out of the picture. So you had essentially 4 choices in humbucking mode (bridge, b+n, neck, b+n in series) and 5 in single coil mode (standard strat). It was the most successful guitar I've owned at covering both Fender and Gibson sounds, and the series humbucking mode even touched Tele sounds a bit.

coolfeel
09-13-2012, 09:05 AM
Here is my HSH custom Hamer, I love the versatility of tones!!

http://i445.photobucket.com/albums/qq175/coolfeel/2011%20Chaparral%20Custom/IMAG0283.jpg

dspellman
09-13-2012, 09:31 AM

There WAS an LP with a three-pickup setup HSH or HSS setup and a five-way (or at least a slider three-way). I saw one a couple of years ago up in San Francisco and didn't have the presence of mind (or the speed) to simply grab it from the guy and sprint away down the street. Love to find another one.

I'm not sure that I agree that a superstrat body like the one in my photos will actually sound all that Les Paulish. I think the thick, dense body makes a difference, as does the short scale and the "mud" that a side-by-side-coil humbucker generates. My superstrats are generally lighter than most LPs and thinner and cover more real estate.

OTOH, I think mine DO do strat-alike things pretty well, particularly if you start with hot humbuckers before you coil tap. Again, part of the strat thing has to do with scale and that maple neck (I think).

What I haven't done is try swapping the Duncan P-Rails (one real, honest-to-god rail coil mated to one real honest-to-god P90 coil) into one of the HSH guitars yet. I think that might be a revelation. The two together make a pretty reasonable humbucker. I'm thinking that a real single coil rail coil would do the strat stuff very well:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b149/dspellman/p_rails.jpg

bluegrif
09-13-2012, 09:36 AM
A good many players are only comfortable playing a Fender style guitar. If that's you, but you'd like to have humbucker tones available, as well as some of the Strat flavor as well, HSH might be the right choice. As has been pointed out, it won't be the right choice if you'll miss the traditional Strat sounds. Nor will it be the right choice if you're really wanting your Strat to sound like a Gibson. IME, that doesn't happen. You really end up with a guitar that has it's own thing going, which is plenty cool in itself. As long as you're not chasing some classic recorded sound it could be the perfect guitar for you. Also, like any other guitar choice, it'll really come down to the tones you're getting from an individual guitar.

All of us have our own preferences and you simply need to try this config enough to see if it works for you. I'm not crazy about full sized buckers on Strats. I've tried it because for me, one of the best reasons for using buckers on a solid body is to kick the amp a little harder and produce a nice sustain without using a higher gain amp or pedal setting. But on a Strat I find it better to simply use hotter singles. Fralin's Steel Pole series do this nicely. But knowing what works for me or anyone else has no bearing on what will work for you. Try some HSH Strats at the volume you'll be playing and if it does it for you, you have your answer.

MichaelSaulnier
09-15-2012, 12:14 AM
There are certain types of music that are "typical" of certain guitars.

LP's are often "rock" guitars.

Tele's are often "country" guitars.

I kinda feel HSH strats are associated with "fusion" style playing.

I realize you can use almost any guitar for almost any style of playing, but do you agree that HSH is more fusion than say, blues?

M

MartinC
09-15-2012, 04:31 AM

I realize you can use almost any guitar for almost any style of playing, but do you agree that HSH is more fusion than say, blues?

M

I can't recall a single guitarist who is known predominantly for his/her blues playing who plays an HSH guitar ... and whilst I'm not heavily into fusion, I do agree that HSH seems to be more widespread in that genre.

I've never owned an HSH guitar, but I would think versatility is where they really excel. Maybe that's needed for fusion? My most versatile guitar is my PRS Mira, which is HH with a mini toggle to split both pickups and a three way toggle to get neck, neck+bridge and bridge. I can get stratty sounds (obviously not the position 2 and 4 strat sounds), tele like sounds and SG-like classic rock sounds, which covers an awful lot of scenarios ... without a middle pickup. Funny, I first was drawn to the strat because of the 2 and 4 position tones ... but after a few years I started tiring of them a bit, and I rarely use them now, so I've never wished my Mira had an S in between the HH.

I'm still intrigued by HSH.

Gandalf5150
09-15-2012, 07:45 AM
I've owned a number, most of them marketed as hard rock versions of classic guitars (Jackson, PRS, Fender, Gibson at least) and only one of them really seemed to be worth the effort. That was the Gibson Studio Lite MIII. The M3 wiring included a coil tap with left the outer coils on in a humbucking configuration with the middle pickup AND when you clicked it to the non-coil tapped setting the middle coil was out of the picture. So you had essentially 4 choices in humbucking mode (bridge, b+n, neck, b+n in series) and 5 in single coil mode (standard strat). It was the most successful guitar I've owned at covering both Fender and Gibson sounds, and the series humbucking mode even touched Tele sounds a bit.

Been chasin one of those since 93 (iirc). Never EVER seen one for sale.:cry:

AudioWonderland
09-15-2012, 11:03 AM

M

Not sure I agree with that. Most fusion guys are playing some variety of Gibson. Henderson uses a strat but uses to play 59's. Gambale uses a variety of instruments. I don;t really see an instrument "type" tied to a style necessarily.

kman42
05-14-2013, 07:43 PM
I built myself an HSH strat after owning an HH Ibanez and a HSS OLP. I don't think I'll ever go back, I LOVE the versatility. With clever wiring you can get plenty of pickup options. I'm using a strat pickguard which means 5 way switch and 3 pots. The switch selects Bridge HB, bridge coil tap + middle SC, middle SC, Middle SC + neck coil tap, Neck HB. I wired two of the pots for standard volume and tone, and wired the 3rd pot as a volume control for the middle pup. If I dial the middle pup all the way down, in positions 2 and 4 I'm left with bridge single coil and neck single coil. Effectively, I get all the tones of a strat and most of the tones of a LP! I love it.

http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x438/kman422/DSCN1118.jpg

frankencat
05-14-2013, 07:49 PM
My number one is an HSH Strat. Most versatile guitar ever.

smolder
05-14-2013, 09:45 PM
Slightly off topic... I'm in the process of building a SHH with the middle hum as a split coil. I want the strat neck but also the thickness of the humbuckers available.

Visualtic
05-14-2013, 09:53 PM
I love HH and HSH. Humbuckers are just deeper and meatier, and the HSH allows for out of phase positions that make strats favorable to some people.

Fu Schnickens
05-15-2013, 12:04 AM
You'll only be missing out on something if you're a user of the 2 & 4 position Strat sounds. If you don't use/ need those sounds, you won't miss the middle single.

robmarch
03-06-2014, 06:11 AM
I built myself an HSH strat after owning an HH Ibanez and a HSS OLP. I don't think I'll ever go back, I LOVE the versatility. With clever wiring you can get plenty of pickup options. I'm using a strat pickguard which means 5 way switch and 3 pots. The switch selects Bridge HB, bridge coil tap + middle SC, middle SC, Middle SC + neck coil tap, Neck HB. I wired two of the pots for standard volume and tone, and wired the 3rd pot as a volume control for the middle pup. If I dial the middle pup all the way down, in positions 2 and 4 I'm left with bridge single coil and neck single coil. Effectively, I get all the tones of a strat and most of the tones of a LP! I love it.

http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x438/kman422/DSCN1118.jpg

this sounds like a nice wiring option, although I would probably like to trade the middle SC switch position for a bridge single plus neck single. I haven't found that I like the "both humbuckers together" sound much, so I wouldn't be missing that.

deep bump as I was looking into everyone's interesting HSH wiring options through searching old threads.

S1Player
03-06-2014, 09:33 AM
There WAS an LP with a three-pickup setup HSH or HSS setup and a five-way (or at least a slider three-way). I saw one a couple of years ago up in San Francisco and didn't have the presence of mind (or the speed) to simply grab it from the guy and sprint away down the street. Love to find another one.

I'm not sure that I agree that a superstrat body like the one in my photos will actually sound all that Les Paulish. I think the thick, dense body makes a difference, as does the short scale and the "mud" that a side-by-side-coil humbucker generates. My superstrats are generally lighter than most LPs and thinner and cover more real estate.

OTOH, I think mine DO do strat-alike things pretty well, particularly if you start with hot humbuckers before you coil tap. Again, part of the strat thing has to do with scale and that maple neck (I think).

What I haven't done is try swapping the Duncan P-Rails (one real, honest-to-god rail coil mated to one real honest-to-god P90 coil) into one of the HSH guitars yet. I think that might be a revelation. The two together make a pretty reasonable humbucker. I'm thinking that a real single coil rail coil would do the strat stuff very well:

Have a MIM Cray Strat body with warmoth neck - that was routed for HSH. 2 P Rails and one Cool Rail middle. It is an awesome set up that gets an incredible number of pickup configurations. If you do it - make sure the humbuckers are configured for both series and parallel to get all the sounds.

Love the P Rails. Would probably go with Hot Rail in the middle - but the cool rail works well.

Actually - I have been thinking lately that a HHH with all P Rails would be cool. I think the middle position P90 would get some usable sounds - with the single and 2 H-bucker voicings being more tones to play with.

robertkoa
03-07-2014, 06:13 AM
NThank you for your irrelevant opinion.

I wouldn't recommend an HSH setup to anyone that isn't already a humbucker player, unless they're looking specifically to branch out.

Good point ; a good way to view the H-S-H Strat or Superstrat is not for Vintage Strat Purists.

Funny that you mentioned an H-S-H Les Paul because I have been thinking of
a Les Paul with an H-S-H and coil cut switches not to make it sound like a Strat
but to make it "stringier" twangier sounding in certain modes while keeping the
smoother attack, longer sustain character of a good LP and in this case, still getting
Classic LP tones.

I remember liking the neck position coil cut on a ES 347 I had years ago...

I do agree on missing the neck tone single coil on H-S-H, but am hoping for

Humbucker with asymmetric coils that coil cuts to a rod magnet Alnico.

Humbucker that coil cuts to an Area 61 .

Humbucker that coil cuts to a Kinman Blues.

In the above, even "off" the extra coil has some effect of widening the magnetic
field ( I've been told by Pickup Gurus ) but I think it's minimal and the slight warming
of the tone can be cool anyway.

I remember using a Stag Mag by Duncan which was two singles together as a Humbucker but the Humbucker tone was not as good so hopefully some
pickup Wizards will tackle this one especially Steve at DiMarzio ....

robertkoa
03-07-2014, 06:20 AM
Slightly off topic... I'm in the process of building a SHH with the middle hum as a split coil. I want the strat neck but also the thickness of the humbuckers available.

Another guy on TGP has done this and said it works great.

This is a good way to add versatility without losing the great neck single tones.

I never thought of this until a few weeks ago when he posted his H-H-S.

Please Post a thread with results and review, thanks.

TheClev
03-07-2014, 06:41 AM
On an HSH, having the middle pickup gives you the option of getting a Strat-like sound out of a double bucker guitar. It can come pretty close. But for me, I'd rather just take two guitars to a gig.

As for getting in the way, the Buckers are more powerful, so you have to raise that single middle pretty high to get significant sounds out of it, and it does get in the way. For me, anyway.

Be.eM
03-07-2014, 07:06 AM
As for getting in the way, the Buckers are more powerful, so you have to raise that single middle pretty high to get significant sounds out of it, and it does get in the way. For me, anyway.

I'm using an EMG 89 - SA - 89R combination on a couple of guitars. The 89 is a "true 2-pickups-in-one-housing" solution, combining an EMG 85 and SA. The 89R is the same, just reversed with the single coil portion placed directly at the neck. For adjusting the different output levels between HB and SC, I'm using a 22k resistor soldered to the "coil tapping switch", which doesn't noticeably change the sound, but adjusts the levels to avoid the (otherwise) drastic jumps when switching. This wiring was standard on most "7" type Steinbergers (GM-7, GL-7, GS-7).

Dale
03-07-2014, 07:17 AM
http://drpietrzak.com/music/warmoth1.jpg

I am constantly trying to figure out how to set this one up. I have tried stacked single in middle with splittable neck and bridge. Strat style 5 way switch. Currently I have a Seth Lover neck (not split) and C5 in bridge (split). The stacked middle is being replaced by a little 59 as soon as I get to it. It has a master volume and tone with pull for neck bridge blend pot (third knob). I really like the blend pot system. I never seem to find a use for the middle or split pickups (thus the Seth). When I put the Little 59 in I may set the toggle for a phase switch on the middle pickup.

bal704
03-07-2014, 07:17 AM
I've got a Warmoth HSH with Barden Two-Tone HB's and a SD noiseless SC in the middle. In SC mode, with a 5-way switch, it's a noiseless strat. In HB mode, it roars. I"ve got the middle switch position wired with all three pickups on.

lowyaw
03-07-2014, 07:32 AM
i don't like HSH config because I don't get along with the middle pickup too well. other than that, it's a very versatile setup, epecially the way it's being done in Suhr GG model:

RD1BreeMzGA

5-way + coil split on tone pot. you get a little more of the signle coil theme with this system

ScottOlson
03-07-2014, 09:30 AM

A Strat neck pickup on a Tele is really the best of both worlds. I've never owned an HSH, but have certainly played them. If I did, I'd wire it up for autosplit in the "4" position" so I could get plenty of "quack".

As for the P-Rails, I've been a big fan for about the last year, especially the P-90 tones - there are also other options like rails and single-coil sized humbuckers which sound like humbuckers, can be split and fit into a regular single-coil route.

rumbletone
03-07-2014, 09:42 AM

+1. I have an HSH Suhr modern, and the only downside is that, as an LP, Tele, Gretsch guy, sometimes the middle pup gets in the way of my picking - though probably just a symptom of my poor technique...

Tonally it's incredibly versatile - more than any other guitar I've owned/gigged.

grooveht
03-07-2014, 11:24 AM

I have a dual P-Rails setup in a Steinberger, and while it's not quite an apples to apples comparison, I'll give it a toss. The P-90 coil is great, in parallel and series modes, it sounds great, the rail in single coil mode is anemic. In my 24-fret steinberger, both of the rails are "inboard" and with the neck + middle, rail coils only, it sounds good. Also, these pickups are sensitive to positioning and which coil is facing towards the neck or bridge; as you can kinda guess by looking at the pickup, turning the pickup around won't change where the P-90 coil sits in relation to which part of the string it's "polling" for lack of a better word, but the positioning of the rail coil changes fairly drastically, relatively speaking. Bottom line, I think in a 22 fret guitar I'd want the rail coil on the outboard sides and with a middle pickup, and on a 24 fret guitar, I would want the rails inboard and wouldn't care so much about a middle pickup. Does any or all of that make sense?

robmarch
03-07-2014, 11:29 AM
+1. I have an HSH Suhr modern, and the only downside is that, as an LP, Tele, Gretsch guy, sometimes the middle pup gets in the way of my picking - though probably just a symptom of my poor technique...

Tonally it's incredibly versatile - more than any other guitar I've owned/gigged.

have you tried dropping the middle pickup as low as it goes?

kiwicanuck
03-07-2014, 12:09 PM
My HSH actually has a stacked HB in the middle. The versatility is what I like best - eg: being able to go from a fat neck HB jazz sound to a nice Strat middle/bridge sound quickly.

robertkoa
03-08-2014, 07:16 AM
Here is my HSH custom Hamer, I love the versatility of tones!!

http://i445.photobucket.com/albums/qq175/coolfeel/2011%20Chaparral%20Custom/IMAG0283.jpg

Wow !

Is this a 25.5" scale set neck ?

What are the woods used ?

Wow!

custom53
03-08-2014, 03:23 PM
Personally, I prefer the "H-S-S" set up...