PDA

View Full Version : Recording your band live, hand held alternatives to Zoom Q2, Q3

StompBoxBlues
10-08-2012, 07:31 AM
Forgetting about the Zoom Q-series for a moment (Q3, Q2),
ARE there any good alternatives for hand-held, built-in stereo mics, cam corder for recoring in conditions at live shows (low light, bright on stage, low everywhere, etc.)?

I know that the best is to run from the board, etc. to get the sound, but the desire here is
-easy to use (friends of the band, wives, etc.)
-good sound recording, stereo
-Video not behind audio...no latency
-files saveable to common format (mp4, etc.)

Main use, recording a bands gigs, for posting to Youtube and band web sites, with possibly some editing software bundled (not necessary but nice) so it isn't a huge project to get it over, cut up into songs...etc.

Are there any good alternatives?

Fran Guidry
10-08-2012, 10:42 AM
Forgetting about the Zoom Q-series for a moment (Q3, Q2),
ARE there any good alternatives for hand-held, built-in stereo mics, cam corder for recoring in conditions at live shows (low light, bright on stage, low everywhere, etc.)?

I know that the best is to run from the board, etc. to get the sound, but the desire here is
-easy to use (friends of the band, wives, etc.)
-good sound recording, stereo
-Video not behind audio...no latency
-files saveable to common format (mp4, etc.)

Main use, recording a bands gigs, for posting to Youtube and band web sites, with possibly some editing software bundled (not necessary but nice) so it isn't a huge project to get it over, cut up into songs...etc.

Are there any good alternatives?

The only one I know of with serious audio (no AGC, decent FR, noise, and distortion) is the Olympus LS20M. I haven't used one but there are plenty of comparos out there. One place to look for additional suggestions is the Taperssection Video subforum: http://taperssection.com/index.php?board=28.0

Fran

jrsmiles
10-08-2012, 11:07 AM
I had really, really good luck using a little Canon Vixia HD camcorder. I was floored a few times at how good it looked and sounded, totally wasn't expecting that kind of quality.

I think I had the V10, it was a couple of years old and I found it cheap on ebay.

StompBoxBlues
10-09-2012, 08:32 AM
Thanks guys!

sacakl
10-09-2012, 09:09 AM
I purchased both the Zoom Q3HD and the Olympus LS20M with the intention of keeping only one. I've only done demos on the fly and haven't recorded a full band. The sound quality of the Q3 was better with clear lows in it. The picture on the Olympus was a tad better. Also, the functionality of the Olympus can be strange since the camera is at the end if the device up by the mics -- haven't had a problem since it actually works okay with a tripod. The Q3 was pretty flimsy in comparison and I've unfortunately had reliability problems with their other products in the past, especially with fresh batteries not working, having to keep them plugged in all the time just to turn them on, needing a long enough mini USB extension cable for continuous power, etc. I was surprised to find that batteries and SD cards I had from an old Olympus camera were compatible with the LS20. Despite the better sound clarity of the Q3, I sent it back and kept the LS20.