PDA

View Full Version : pompatus of love

nodepression
10-14-2012, 06:50 PM
Just what exactly is the pompatus of love ?

:dunno

blanche
10-14-2012, 06:55 PM
it comes from this record (go to 1:26)

4FROmZkD668

Flyin' Brian
10-14-2012, 06:55 PM
Just what exactly is the pompatus of love ?

:dunno

It's a word that Steve Miller made up because he couldn't come up with any. The same way he copped other peoples' licks and changed them slightly.

There's an old R&B song from the 50s that had this line in it:

the puppetutes of love Edit: I was slow typing ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

There are few people who don't "borrow" from other influences.

The Golden Boy
10-14-2012, 07:55 PM
"One song was "The Letter," Green's attempt to conjure up his dream woman. The mystery words, J.K. ascertained after talking with Green, were "puppetutes" and "pizmotality." (Green wasn't much for writing things down, so the spellings are approximate.)

"Pizmotality described words of such secrecy that they could only be spoken to the one you loved," Green told Cryer. And puppetutes? "A term I coined to mean a secret paper-doll fantasy figure [thus puppet], who would be my everything and bear my children." Not real PC, but look, it was 1954."

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/972/in-steve-millers-the-joker-what-is-the-pompatus-of-love

nodepression
10-14-2012, 08:59 PM
Interesting stuff. I was thinking it was connected to the word "pompous".

rwe333
10-14-2012, 09:40 PM
Interesting stuff. I was thinking it was connected to the word "pompous".

Me too...

xjojox
10-14-2012, 10:00 PM
Miller loved old blues and listened to a lot of obscure stuff. Not at all surprising he recycled, as of course did a long line of Brits and Yanks slinging guitars in the 60's and 70's.

Baminated
10-14-2012, 10:42 PM
THe key to understanding it is to know what "wrapped up like a deuce" means

Simon
10-14-2012, 11:20 PM
Revved up like a deuce (Car)

gaspedals.net
10-15-2012, 02:05 AM
I believe it is pronounced "douche" and it is in the bathroom on the right.

english_bob
10-15-2012, 03:24 AM
As with any other inexplicable rock lyrics, unless there's several really good reasons why it can't be, then it's probably a reference to the singer's dick.

I-IV-V
10-15-2012, 03:46 AM
I'm glad I'm not the only one who never knew what the word was.

As with any other inexplicable rock lyrics, unless there's several really good reasons why it can't be, then it's probably a reference to the singer's dick.

Huh?

'58Bassman
10-15-2012, 03:48 AM
"unless there's several really good reasons why it can't be, then it's probably a reference to the singer's dick."

Does that explain "Great googley-moogley"?

english_bob
10-15-2012, 05:29 AM
Huh?

Rock lyrics 101.

All incomprehensible rock lyrics are references to the singer's penis, or to an activity in which it has been, or might be employed, either in reality or in some imagined scenario. For female singers, substitute either the lady's front bottom, or the penis of a real or imagined male to which the lyric is addressed.

The only exceptions are those where the most basic rules of syntax, grammar or logic make such an interpretation impossible.

Does that explain "Great googley-moogley"?

In all likelihood, yes.

StompBoxBlues
10-15-2012, 06:29 AM
It's a word that Steve Miller made up because he couldn't come up with any. The same way he copped other peoples' licks and changed them slightly.

There's an old R&B song from the 50s that had this line in it:

the puppetutes of love Edit: I was slow typing ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

There are few people who don't "borrow" from other influences.

Not sure how to take this...seems like a dig at Miller at first, but then mentioning "few people who don't borrow"...

Still, honestly.. Miller had some derivitive things, but songs like "The Joker" and "Abracadabra" (if that was the name) as well as the arrangements and solos, etc. in my opinion are excellent, original, the lyrics work, extremely singable, sound good...

I'd agree, I can remember being really dissapointed around "Fly like an Eagle" (so trite, and I recall thinking is sounded way too much like a few other songs already out) and a number of other ones. Also Miller was a pretty offensive, cocky guy (saw him on "Chip Munks" interview show, back in the 70's where he was total no-class...bringing a six-pack in and bragging how he was the ONLY one that could play blues, and he learned from...etc. and then outragously hitting on Bonnie Raitt "you want a beer" "no, thank you" "COME ONNN,baby, take a beer" etc.) BUT...

Some of his music was pretty original, really well done, and still being played quite a bit 40 some years later.

teleman1
10-15-2012, 08:12 AM
The first time I ever heard a mention of the word groovy was in a talking children record by Steve Allen. He says groovy like it was a word in his vocabulary, naturally.1953

EricPeterson
10-15-2012, 08:15 AM
Revved up like a deuce (Car)

Yep, only one minor correction, I think a deuce is a motorcycle (2 cylinder engine).

jtm622
10-15-2012, 08:38 AM
H-m-m-m... or, a "duece" could be a hot-rodded 1932 Ford coupe (kind of like the one that "got rubber in all four gears" that The Beach Boys sang about...)

:)

EricPeterson
10-15-2012, 08:40 AM
H-m-m-m... or, a "duece" could be a hot-rodded 1932 Ford coupe (kind of like the one that "got rubber in all four gears" that The Beach Boys sang about...)

:)

Ah, good point. Well I will retract my statement then.

"pompatus deuce" would make a good band name.

stephenf
10-15-2012, 10:39 AM
I always thought Maurice spoke with the prophetess of love. I couldn't figure why they didn't just call him Steve.
But then again, her name was MaGill and she called herself Lill but everyone knew her as Nancy.

Betos
10-15-2012, 11:45 AM
Duece also refers to the early 60's Chevy II And isn't it the Hippopotamus of love? ;)

Tonelover
10-15-2012, 02:38 PM
I thought it was phlebotomist. :huh

Raygun Gothic
10-15-2012, 06:18 PM
THe key to understanding it is to know what "wrapped up like a deuce" means

I thought it was "Cut loose like a Deuce".

mudster
10-15-2012, 06:38 PM
a "deuce" was slang for a Buick in the 70's; dunno why. Also a Harley.

mikeylikesit
10-15-2012, 07:00 PM
a "deuce" was slang for a Buick in the 70's; dunno why. Also a Harley.
Buick Electra 225 "deuce" or "deuce an'a quarter"......pimp mobile in the 70's

nodepression
10-15-2012, 07:09 PM
Deuce is fairly common. "My little deuce coupe" "deuces wild" etc

Peavey Deuce

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTkwzJp7rzaO6oHCNBI9eaWJPG9ZumWT bHrutt-prCHHoR3Qqp42jbyiVyj

mojocaster.com
10-15-2012, 07:10 PM
I thought it was phlebotomist. :huh

Yeah, because who doesn't to cut veins when in love? :)

Betos
10-15-2012, 07:16 PM
The original "cut loose like a deuce" does seem to give it a different meaning....

Stardrake
10-15-2012, 08:05 PM
Steve Miller did once say (in an old Guitar Player or Guitar World interview, I believe) that he wanted "He spoke of the pompatus of love" inscribed on his headstone.

Guess he knew he had something there....

DarthElvis
10-15-2012, 08:42 PM
It's more fun as "wrapped up like a douche". If Steve Miller has a problem with that, then maybe he should have learned to E-NUN-CI-ATE.

EricPeterson
10-15-2012, 08:43 PM
It's more fun as "wrapped up like a douche". If Steve Miller has a problem with that, then maybe he should have learned to E-NUN-CI-ATE.

Blinded by the light was written by Bruce Springsteen and most famously recorded (and poorly enunciated) by Manfred Mann's Earth Band

xjojox
10-15-2012, 09:39 PM
REVVED UP LIKE A DEUCE: 1932 Ford coupe. As in Little Deuce Coupe. This is very old news. One of the most consistently mis-heard lyrics in history. Brooce does not approve.

I-IV-V
10-15-2012, 09:39 PM
And little Early-Pearly came by in his curly-wurly and asked me if I needed a ride

Rock lyrics 101.

All incomprehensible rock lyrics are references to the singer's penis, or to an activity in which it has been, or might be employed, either in reality or in some imagined scenario. For female singers, substitute either the lady's front bottom, or the penis of a real or imagined male to which the lyric is addressed.

The only exceptions are those where the most basic rules of syntax, grammar or logic make such an interpretation impossible.

In all likelihood, yes.

Yeah, I understand how lyrics work, but it doens't seem to fit here.

gmann
10-16-2012, 05:41 AM
I believe it is pronounced "douche" and it is in the bathroom on the right.

It's douche in Manfred Mann's version for some reason but Bruce wrote revved up like a duece, another runner in the night, it's a car reference. Bruce talks about this song in The Story Tellers video. Says he doesn't know what they're talkin' about but he's glad they covered it as it was the 1st time someone covered one of his songs.

gmann
10-16-2012, 05:46 AM
Ah, good point. Well I will retract my statement then.

"pompatus deuce" would make a good band name.

That would be a good name!

gaspedals.net
10-16-2012, 05:29 PM
So much misinformation on the internet. It is widely known that Bruce was writing about his girlfriends feminine hygiene.

Also widely known that Hendrix was gay which is why he wrote the lyric
"excuse me while I kiss this guy".

The Golden Boy
10-16-2012, 06:16 PM
How about 'dropped a deuce in the deuce..."

Betos
10-16-2012, 06:18 PM
Now you guys are just being silly. Seriously? No one remembers the story of Maurice who went on an adventure to seeking the Hippopotamus of Love? I always thought maybe Steve Miller was just into BBW? How about 'dropped a deuce in the deuce..." There's a Bathroom on the Right!

jekylmeister
10-16-2012, 07:09 PM
Love the Zappa reference..

Simon
10-22-2012, 10:53 PM
We wouldnt be talking about it today if not poorly enunciated by Manfred Mann.
Ina goda davida was written as in the garden of eden. the producer liked it when the singer miss enunciated and told him to sing it that way. Ripleys believe it or not?

Lution
10-23-2012, 10:51 AM
Rock lyrics 101.

makes sense to me. ;)

This explains many an incomprehensible.
NcwD7kh28M0

aliensporebomb
10-23-2012, 10:55 AM
I often thought the intro of this song was referencing the pompatus of love:

6J0DOQZC97s

Caution: a more pretentious and pompous intro to a song could not be created.

jerrycampbell
10-23-2012, 01:19 PM
I always interpreted it as 'the properties of love'.

Flogger59
10-23-2012, 01:23 PM
We wouldnt be talking about it today if not poorly enunciated by Manfred Mann.
Ina goda davida was written as in the garden of eden. the producer liked it when the singer miss enunciated and told him to sing it that way. Ripleys believe it or not?

Actually, even more prosaic than that. Two bottles of red wine were consumed by the author during the writing of the song. When his roommate came back that night, Inna Gadda Da Vida was what came out instead of In The Garden Of Eden.

DarthElvis
10-23-2012, 02:42 PM
Blinded by the light was written by Bruce Springsteen and most famously recorded (and poorly enunciated) by Manfred Mann's Earth Band

Doh, huge derp.:bonk