PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting WRHB Pickup Pole Pieces

FenderGuy53
10-26-2012, 06:54 PM
The Fender owner's manual for the '72 Telecaster Thinline explains pickup height adjustment as follows:

"... the 1st and 6th string pole piece screws should not extend above the pickup cover."

The heads of the pole piece screws are shaped like a mushroom cap, so which part of the "mushroom" should not extend above the pickup cover, the rounded, top of the mushroom or the flat bottom?

Also, the same manual recommends a starting pickup height of 1/16" on the treble and bass sides, for both pickups. Is this still the case?

Thanks, guys.

JohnK24
10-26-2012, 07:19 PM
Oh pal...hold on, everyone will be here shortly to tell you those stock WRHB pups suck, are toneless, are muddy...

Personally, they've sounded good in all the 72 thinlines I've played...good luck with the new guitar.

FenderGuy53
10-26-2012, 07:37 PM
Oh pal...hold on, everyone will be here shortly to tell you those stock WRHB pups suck, are toneless, are muddy...

Personally, they've sounded good in all the 72 thinlines I've played...good luck with the new guitar.

Thanks, John.

I set it up last week and played it at rehearsal and at church last Sunday. While I set the pickup heights and pole pieces, in my former 2008 and in my new 2011 ('72 Tele Thinline's), EXACTLY the same, the 2011 is crisp and sparkly, while the 2008 was warm and woody.

I kinda liked the "warm and woody"...

sunburst79
10-26-2012, 07:45 PM
I'm going to say the flat bottom if these are the WRHB reissue pickups with standard philister head machine screws as the pole pieces.

FenderGuy53
10-26-2012, 07:48 PM
I'm going to say the flat bottom if these are the WRHB reissue pickups with standard philister head machine screws as the pole pieces.

Yes, these are the WRHB reissue p'ups. Thanks.