PDA

View Full Version : Catalinbread Callisto - Due Nov. 13th

billfoma
10-29-2012, 05:36 PM
UPDATE 11-07-12
This was posted on Catalinbread's FB page last night:

100s of pedals out the door today! Callisto Analog Chorus/Vibrato should be arriving at your favorite retailers very soon! Street date Tuesday, November 13th!!!

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/223608_524685614227493_677750683_n.jpg

So this is sort of replacing the Nautilux. I was really excited to hear it, but I understand it was going to be really expensive, so I'm good with it not being out there tempting me. Also, whatever happened to the Sorcerer of Exmoor? What was that going to be?

What is the chance of a combination of the Echorec and Montavillian? Or maybe a Deluxe Montavillian of some sort with tap tempo, longer delay time, and all the usual extra stuff?

Mostly, this is just me saying BRAVO to Catalinbread for being IMO the BEST pedal manufacturer out there!

Signed,

Bill, happy owner of a DLS V2, WIIO V2, Galileo, SCOD, SCP, & Montavillian. Then, F#5, Tap Tempo Semaphore, RAH, CB30 all on the list next, AFTER the Callisto.

-AK
10-29-2012, 05:42 PM
I would like a vibrato.

I am interested in this.

MadFrank
10-29-2012, 05:47 PM
Sod the chorus - where's the vibe? :dunno

;)

billfoma
10-30-2012, 02:19 PM
This it for responses?

jgyn
11-02-2012, 05:33 PM
Is this named after the Xena villainess?

Richard P
11-02-2012, 05:35 PM
I love my Meistersinger.

Any chance that this is better?

I'll be monitoring TGP when this pedal hits the street…

billfoma
11-07-2012, 01:39 PM
Update bump

goodhonk
11-07-2012, 01:52 PM
looks great!

onwingsoflead
11-07-2012, 01:54 PM
Pray thee kind chaps, anyone see any demos of the vibrato sounds on this?
price?

billfoma
11-12-2012, 09:38 AM
According to Guitar Noize, the Callisto will be priced at $199.

Yonderwanderer
11-12-2012, 09:44 AM
There's a few already floating around on ebay from some dealers.

Richard P
11-23-2012, 05:01 PM
Sheesh. Hasn't anyone on TGP got one yet? I don't want to be the first.

But I might be if Catalinbread would put up some kind of demo…

Technical question: is the vibrato sine or triangle?

your name here
11-23-2012, 06:11 PM
This would've been cooler to me if the vibrato and chorus modes were footswitchable. They aren't, right? I think the Nautilx had that function... I should really try harder to keep up. Lol. The Echorec looks cool, though. Definitely thinking hard about getting that one...

Bloomfield fan
11-23-2012, 08:14 PM
I wish the price was a bit lower.

wundergussy
11-23-2012, 08:34 PM
So, this is capable of going totally dry to totally wet. It becomes a vibrato at 100% wet. Actually pretty cool as you can get almost vibrato but retain some dry signal. One thing that really impressed me was that it didn't really alter the overall tone; most choruses seem to get dark, but this one felt like your normal tone with chorusing. The price, to me, reflects that it is all-analog and has a lot going on for a 4-knob pedal.

Bloomfield fan
11-23-2012, 09:00 PM
Your right about the price. I had been thinking of going with the Möbius when the Natalux was (stopped?) but I really like the simplicity of just a few knobs versus what happens to me with units with presets is endless knob twisting.

AXXA
11-24-2012, 01:02 AM
I' also curious as to what type of vibrato this thing has. Would love a good demo.

NedZ
11-24-2012, 06:38 AM
If I'm not mistaken, the Callisto uses the same chip as the Malekko Vibrato (MN3007) with added delay time and mix knobs which makes it also a quite versatile chorus. Hope it sounds as organic and warm as the Malekko or Seppuku's Mind Warp.

Richard P
11-24-2012, 08:55 AM
So, this is capable of going totally dry to totally wet. It becomes a vibrato at 100% wet. Actually pretty cool as you can get almost vibrato but retain some dry signal. One thing that really impressed me was that it didn't really alter the overall tone; most choruses seem to get dark, but this one felt like your normal tone with chorusing. The price, to me, reflects that it is all-analog and has a lot going on for a 4-knob pedal.

So you've played one. How's the vibrato? Is it more like 'real' vibrato (Boss vibrato, etc.), or the typical chorus/vibrato? Hoping someone will do a demo.

hazmat33
11-26-2012, 04:41 PM
With all the Echorec talk this seems to have been pushed to the side.

Anyone have one or try one?

Mick_Braun
11-26-2012, 05:06 PM
Must. Hear. Clips. Soon!

hazmat33
11-27-2012, 09:16 AM
I picked one up from Fat Tone guitars using their Cyber Monday %15 off deal. I should have it soon and will post a review. Maybe even a clip if I can figure out how to do it with my iPad.

Bloomfield fan
12-03-2012, 05:06 PM
Anyone else buy one or try one out?

wundergussy
12-03-2012, 08:07 PM
So you've played one. How's the vibrato? Is it more like 'real' vibrato (Boss vibrato, etc.), or the typical chorus/vibrato? Hoping someone will do a demo.

More Chorus/Vibrato since vibrato is achieved by turning the Wet signal to 100%.

tzamosti
12-07-2012, 08:09 AM
In the market for a good chorus/vibrato for smaller board...anyone still thinking of this one? I see that they just came out...

EDIT: Ah screw it, had the $ in my paypal and went for it. We'll see how it goes!

Bloomfield fan
12-07-2012, 03:22 PM
I bit yesterday as well. Early next week I will report back.

Gary Ladd
12-07-2012, 04:46 PM
Where are the demo videos?

I'm assuming this is digital, would love to see it in a shoot-out with DLS' Chorus~Vibe and/or Versa~Vibe :aok

hollowhero
12-07-2012, 05:59 PM
Where are the demo videos?

I'm assuming this is digital...
Nope. It's analog and uses the mn3007 chips. I'm also wondering where all the demos are :mob

steelerboy329
12-07-2012, 06:02 PM
Nope. It's analog and uses the mn3007 chips. I'm also wondering where all the demos are :mob

Same here. Bring on the demos!!!

circusinthesky
12-07-2012, 06:40 PM
Same here. Bring on the demos!!!

All you guys need to calm down, and give PGS Andy a little time....

....to think of a few songs with chorus that aren't cheesy 1980's tunes.

:hide

jk. I expect I'll get one of these after the holidays.

wundergussy
12-09-2012, 02:38 PM
Just snagged one from the emporium! Really looking forward to a chorus that doesn't mess with my tone...

FWIW, I like that the Chorus/Vibe is controlled through the mix knob. I've been recently tempted by the Dr. Sci, but I don't want to spend time fiddling with a chorus.

circusinthesky
12-11-2012, 12:37 AM
Anyone receive theirs yet? Would sure like to hear some reviews/demos.

wundergussy
12-15-2012, 09:48 AM
Nick - was that the video you meant to put here? Or did you mean THIS one:

dUO_UNks6KI

justnick
12-15-2012, 09:54 AM
Oops, sorry, I'm slow. Thanks for fixing that!

wundergussy
12-15-2012, 09:56 AM
Great vid! I think you nailed it when you mentioned how it sits in the mix neutrally.

hollowhero
12-15-2012, 11:06 AM
Love those vibrato sounds

justnick
12-15-2012, 11:13 AM
Thanks all. Yep, it's voiced really well.

wundergussy
12-15-2012, 02:51 PM
Just spent a bunch of time with mine: what a great chorus! The subtle, behind the note feel of it beats out any others I've tried. Almost worth getting two, one for a stand-alone vibrato and one for chorus. Not cheesy at all.

Mick_Braun
12-15-2012, 05:17 PM
I'll chime in. Picked one up, not having heard any demos, but glad I did. At first, it came on a bit strong -- I'm a "subtle chorus" guy -- but learned quickly that there's great range to this thing. I've been keeping rate at 9:00 or so, width between 9:00 - noon, mix no higher than noon, density 9:00 - noon. I'll leg into the vibrato stuff but to date that hasn't really been my thing. Also, I discovered some pretty kick-ass flanger-y sounds by backing the rate knob down all the way and boosting the others.

erksin
12-15-2012, 05:24 PM
That 'flangery' sound just nails the Billy Gibbons 'Fool For Your Stockings' thing - first lick I played through the breadboard when I heard it. Love that setting!

Mick_Braun
12-15-2012, 05:41 PM
That 'flangery' sound just nails the Billy Gibbons 'Fool For Your Stockings' thing - first lick I played through the breadboard when I heard it. Love that setting!

In his demo, Nick said it could sub for various mod pedals -- methinks he's correct. It's a keeper.

scolfax
12-28-2012, 08:25 PM
You guys still digging yours? Thinking of picking one up.

justnick
12-28-2012, 08:29 PM
Yep, still digging.

The thing about this one is that it has enough texture to be as tasteful or tasteless (in a good way) as you want it to, but also has HUGE range. I love the flanger-like sounds in particular but it does the full range of chorus and vibe sounds too. It also has a wonderfully full freq. response that makes it work very well in a mix and with dirt.

Socrates
12-28-2012, 08:55 PM
Oops, sorry, I'm slow. Thanks for fixing that!

Great video there, man.

wundergussy
12-28-2012, 08:56 PM
You guys still digging yours? Thinking of picking one up.

Yes, for two reasons:

1) It does not mess with your EQ at all, unlike any other chorus I've had

2) It can be set VERY subtle and just create a feel of movement

I've been leaving it as a subtle vibrato mostly, but if I had the cash I would run two (one as dedicated vibrato, one as dedicated chorus).

justnick
01-04-2013, 11:14 AM
Great video there, man.

Thanks! Glad you like it!

willatkinson
01-09-2013, 12:37 PM
Bought one today, because I got tired of waiting for my Echorec to show up to my dealer; really excited... Nick's demo inspired to lose this hatred of chorus I was clinging to.

Tweeker
01-10-2013, 11:05 AM
Based on the two fine demos so far from JustNick and ProGuitarShop - and even though I'm a HUGH Catalinbread fan - the Callisto will not be knocking off my Retro-Sonic. I was hoping for a real challenge with a release of the Nautilux, but Nicholas said: "I designed the Callisto applying everything I learned and really wanted out of the Nautilux."

justnick
01-10-2013, 11:51 AM
Bought one today, because I got tired of waiting for my Echorec to show up to my dealer; really excited... Nick's demo inspired to lose this hatred of chorus I was clinging to.

I really like the pedal, but I'm not sure how I feel about being a chorus-enabler.

:)

willatkinson
01-10-2013, 12:24 PM
I'm sure I'll just use it for Purple Rain covers. I never meant to cause you any sorrow... O(+>

justnick
01-10-2013, 12:25 PM
Well in that case...

ScienceFriction
01-10-2013, 11:23 PM
I just grabbed one of these of ebay "like new" for $166 shipped, I can't wait to try it out. From your video and posts justnick it sounds like just the chorus pedal I've been looking for. Plus you can't beat the price.

Can you cop decent Smiths' tones with do you think?

justnick
01-11-2013, 10:23 AM
I just grabbed one of these of ebay "like new" for $166 shipped, I can't wait to try it out. From your video and posts justnick it sounds like just the chorus pedal I've been looking for. Plus you can't beat the price.

Can you cop decent Smiths' tones with do you think?

Yep, I think you can for sure!

ScienceFriction
01-11-2013, 11:16 AM
Yep, I think you can for sure!

Excellent! Thanks for the reply. :dude

mcnabbanov
01-11-2013, 11:53 AM
its no CE-1 or CE-2...

sounds nice though

Steve Hotra
01-14-2013, 02:48 PM
Yep, still digging.

The thing about this one is that it has enough texture to be as tasteful or tasteless (in a good way) as you want it to, but also has HUGE range. I love the flanger-like sounds in particular but it does the full range of chorus and vibe sounds too. It also has a wonderfully full freq. response that makes it work very well in a mix and with dirt.

Just watched your demo this morning.. Nice job!

ScienceFriction
01-14-2013, 03:26 PM
I got mine today and played it for a little while, I'm very pleased with it. In the past I've owned a lot of chorus pedals; Boss CE-1, Boss CE-2, Retrosonic Chorus (the early model!), and an Ibanze CS-9. So I have some experience with chorus, lol.

I think the Callisto is fantastic, certainly one of the best overall. The chorus sound is superb, you can get a lot of tones and it's never metallic or cheesy imo. I haven't explored it fully yet, but the pedal has great range. By turning a single knob a little bit you can hear a change, so it's very nicely dialed in. I think JustNick covered it all pretty much perfectly though. I can't see myself going back to any of the chorus pedals I mentioned, the Callisto is a keeper for me. It's a great sounding pedal, has all the modern improvements I like, and is a great price.

Steve Hotra
01-14-2013, 03:35 PM
I got mine today and played it for a little while, I'm very pleased with it. In the past I've owned a lot of chorus pedals; Boss CE-1, Boss CE-2, Retrosonic Chorus (the early model!), and an Ibanze CS-9. So I have some experience with chorus, lol.

I think the Callisto is fantastic, certainly one of the best overall. The chorus sound is superb, you can get a lot of tones and it's never metallic or cheesy imo. I haven't explored it fully yet, but the pedal has great range. By turning a single knob a little bit you can hear a change, so it's very nicely dialed in. I think JustNick covered it all pretty much perfectly though. I can't see myself going back to any of the chorus pedals I mentioned, the Callisto is a keeper for me. It's a great sounding pedal, has all the modern improvements I like, and is a great price.

Great comments.. And have a question. Define " modern improvements" . I own a CE 1 too. Would the Callisto be a copy of a chorus pedal that I already have? Thanks for the reply.

ScienceFriction
01-14-2013, 03:46 PM
Great comments.. And have a question. Define " modern improvements" . I own a CE 1 too. Would the Callisto be a copy of a chorus pedal that I already have? Thanks for the reply.

I just mean true bypass, LED, smaller size, more range in the controls; nothing tone related really.

The Callisto isn't a CE-1 copy, so no. I don't have a CE-1 to compare it to at the moment, and really, I'd say the Callisto is closer to the CE-2 than it is the CE-1. I think it would be better if someone else answered that. The Callisto uses the MN3007 like the CE-2.

The sound of the CE-1 is pretty elusive, even the Retrosonic isn't an exact CE-1 clone. I don't feel the need to chase down a CE-1 though, but that's just me. The great thing about the Callisto is how much control you have over the sound of the chorus and the mix. I wouldn't buy it to replace a CE-1, but I would give it a chance just to see if it's something you like. Maybe see if a local place has one you can try. Plus it's a chorus/vibe pedal, and the vibe has a good range too. It can get pretty crazy, lol.

justnick
01-14-2013, 03:53 PM
Just watched your demo this morning.. Nice job!

Thanks!

TJSmitty
01-14-2013, 04:45 PM
its no CE-1 or CE-2...

sounds nice though

I REAAALLY prefer the Callisto to either of those pedals, and own all three.

Squigglefunk
01-14-2013, 05:19 PM
this pedal sounds like you're nestled in a peaceful valley between two ominous mountains

Steve Hotra
01-14-2013, 08:37 PM
I just mean true bypass, LED, smaller size, more range in the controls; nothing tone related really.

The Callisto isn't a CE-1 copy, so no. I don't have a CE-1 to compare it to at the moment, and really, I'd say the Callisto is closer to the CE-2 than it is the CE-1. I think it would be better if someone else answered that. The Callisto uses the MN3007 like the CE-2.

The sound of the CE-1 is pretty elusive, even the Retrosonic isn't an exact CE-1 clone. I don't feel the need to chase down a CE-1 though, but that's just me. The great thing about the Callisto is how much control you have over the sound of the chorus and the mix. I wouldn't buy it to replace a CE-1, but I would give it a chance just to see if it's something you like. Maybe see if a local place has one you can try. Plus it's a chorus/vibe pedal, and the vibe has a good range too. It can get pretty crazy, lol.

Thanks for the detailed reply.

Boba7
08-06-2014, 07:16 PM
Hi everyone,

First post here, I hope it's fine to answer to an old thread.

So I've been thinking of buying a Callisto recently, and I'd have a couple of questions for those who have one about the vibrato.

I used to have a Malekko Vibrato which I loved, and sold it after buying a Stonefish by Greenhouse. Its chorus is really beautiful but I'm not completely satisfied with the vibrato mode. The waveform is odd, the rise is abrupt (kind of like a reverse sawtooth if that makes sense).

What I liked about the Malekko was its transparency (just a pure vibrato that didn't seem to affect my tone) and smooth waveform.

What do you guys think of the vibrato on the Callisto? Is it transparent enough? Or is it "chorusy"? Smooth enough? Has anyone played the Malekko Vibrato and the Callisto by any chance?

Also considering the Mid-fi Pitch Pirate but it doesn't seem to do the simple pitch vibrato well... looks and sounds amazing though...

Any help is welcome!

Cheers from France!

Boba7
08-07-2014, 05:25 AM
So actually Roy from Greenhouse effects just answered my email, and explained to me how to change the waveform in vibrato mode. It's simply the width control that can make it vary from triangle to square. So now with the width around 9 I've finally found an excellent vibrato setting!
This pedal (Greenhouse Stonefish) is definitely amazing... It's a keeper for me.
I'm sure the Callisto must be excellent too.

08-07-2014, 06:23 AM
Also considering the Mid-fi Pitch Pirate but it doesn't seem to do the simple pitch vibrato well... looks and sounds amazing though...

Any help is welcome!

Cheers from France!
The pitch pirate does do simple pitch vibrato. It does it well (my opinion).

Boba7
08-07-2014, 07:08 AM
oh, good to know. I read there was always a (very short) delay in full vibrato mode.

Still considering the pitch pirate deluxe actually, it looks so amazing!

08-07-2014, 07:42 AM
oh, good to know. I read there was always a (very short) delay in full vibrato mode.

Still considering the pitch pirate deluxe actually, it looks so amazing!
Yes there is a short delay ~30ms. Like all vibrato pedals (excluding univibe pedals). A modulated delay is what a chorus/vibrato pedal 10ms to 40ms is the general range of the delay time. Tje deluxe Pitch pirate is one my favorites. I did a lofi junky v DLX PP you can view here: Junky V Pirate (square wave pitch vibrato showdow: http://youtu.be/0DyhYdI4SfM

Boba7
08-07-2014, 07:54 AM
Yeah I saw this video a couple days ago, it was really interesting, good job!

I didn't notice any delay with the Malekko Vibrato, but maybe it's so short I couldn't hear it, or I didn't pay attention.

Hmmm... now I really wanna try the Pitch Pirate! :)

Boba7
08-07-2014, 08:17 AM
... though I can't imagine the Pitch Pirate would sound better than the Stonefish as a regular chorus! The stonefish is really beautiful.