PDA

View Full Version : Why hide the serial number ?

SteelerFan88
10-30-2012, 06:10 PM
I never understood why most people go out of their way to hide/distort/blur the serial number on their guitar when posting pics. They act like it's some big top secret information that could potentially ruin their lives if that number becomes public....LOL ! I could understand maybe if the poster knows the guitar is "hot" and is simply trying to avoid prosecution but that simply can not be the case as almost everyone does it. I have been buying/selling/trading guitars for over 25 years and never once has the serial number on my guitars destroyed my life or secretly unlocked the gates of hell. I have nothing better to do so I was just wondering ........WHY ? :huh

ixnay
10-30-2012, 06:13 PM
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1152429&

SteelerFan88
10-30-2012, 06:17 PM
I see I am not alone in my observations

lkft
10-30-2012, 06:31 PM
I know for a fact that some ppl have had their guitars stolen and spend twenty years scouring ebay to hopefully run across it and low and behold they did. They have the SN, paperwork, receipt, police report, etc. and the unknowing owner of the guitar has to forfeit it to the authorities and those guys are screwed b/c it was stolen goods to begin with. Scammers have been known to pick up on this so it's not a bad idea.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1060520&highlight=recovered+stolen+guitar

cutaway
10-30-2012, 06:44 PM
it's hilarious when someone does it to a $250 guitar

AudioEcstasy
10-30-2012, 06:53 PM
as someone who's dealt musical gear for years now...it's just easier to blur some of the numbers. EVERYONE in e-commerce land is trying to rip you off now-a-days. it's a total SELLER BEWARE market for sure

stevieboy
10-30-2012, 07:04 PM
Why not?

the_boogie_man
10-30-2012, 07:12 PM
Its like, uh..... it's a conspiracy man!!:bonk:bonk:bonk

old goat
10-30-2012, 07:28 PM
In my case its not the SN on the neck plate--it's the SSN I engraved on the neck plate, back when that was thought to be a good way to track down stolen goods. Now I suppose the SSN is worth more than the guitar--a 64 strat.

Smakutus
10-30-2012, 07:43 PM
I do it just to **** with the looney tune people that hate the serial numbers being blurred outt..

Jeff

SteelerFan88
10-31-2012, 02:13 PM
as someone who's dealt musical gear for years now...it's just easier to blur some of the numbers. EVERYONE in e-commerce land is trying to rip you off now-a-days. it's a total SELLER BEWARE market for sure

This is true.......I would tell people to prove it and try and take it from me or get the F%^& out of my face. Short and to the point.

stevieboy
10-31-2012, 02:41 PM
What if it's Chuck Norris?

BKL71
10-31-2012, 03:46 PM
Chinese counterfeiters troll the web all the time to get serial numbers to put on their fakes to make them look legit. Most of these scammers probably won't take the time to e-mail you for your serial number if they see your guitar in an ebay auction. It's much easier for them to grab the numbers they can see posted in a listing.

SteelerFan88
10-31-2012, 04:40 PM
What if it's Chuck Norris?

I would have to give it up.....NOBODY says no to chuck....NOBODY !

otis12
10-31-2012, 05:19 PM
I,ve always assumed there were people very good at making copies and using vintage numbers to sell them for much more than they're worth.Counterfeits,I guess.That's the only reason I can think of.My homeowners Ins guy took detailed pics of all my gear and I get fair vintage market value if they're ripped off or the house burns down or something.

Stinky Kitty
10-31-2012, 11:17 PM
My .02

Considering how easy it is for the "counter" crowd to use it (if it's clearly visible), I say the five seconds it takes to blur it out is more than worth the effort if it can prevent even ONE more additional scammer from using a pulled serial to sell their fakes.

Alton
11-01-2012, 10:12 AM
Long ago in an America far, far away there really wasn't much trouble with posting pictures with serial numbers. Cops were generally more willing to explore the facts of any given situation. People paid in cash for the things they bought and receipts were hand written or printed on machines using durable inks.

Not so today. There ARE scammers "out there". Cops are not so interested in exploring facts. People use various types of cards to pay for things and any receipts issued are not so durable. Then it must be asked, who keeps receipts?

The scammers can and will report your guitar as being stolen, provide the serial number and description according to your posted photo, the police will come and take your guitar away and most likely haul you off to the hoosegow too where you will be booked and given time to cool your heels before an arraignment at which time you will enter a plea and be given a court date. You will most likely have to post bail which will tie up some of your funds and then you will have to deal with the stigma of being thought of as a thief.

When you finally get to court you will hopefully have proof of ownership of the guitar, like the receipt you kept, hopefully. Then you will have to wait for all kinds of paperwork to be done before you get your guitar back....if you get your guitar back since cops are good at "losing" things they find personally interesting or damaging things through the usual carelessness.

But, y'all go on believing that this is the old America. After all, this kind of insanity has never happened to you or to anyone you know. These are just the musings of the anal retentive and folks who have their tinfoil hats on a little too tight. You realize that from time to time mistakes happen and that when they do everything will eventually get sorted out...or will it?

AprioriMark
11-01-2012, 02:44 PM
I wish I could say that the above post was tin foil hat nonsense, but I've personally experienced the utter laziness and criminal nature of modern police departments in multiple cities recently. I was told by the police in one case that they "had an agreement" with local pawn shops so that people who discovered stolen goods at said pawn shops could "recover them for a minimal fee" above what the pawn shop paid the thief. As in the thief that was reported, with serial numbers that were reported and not run. For items that pawn slips were found, that the police did nothing with.

Yes, I was told that I could buy my instruments back out of pawn... when they were stolen by someone else, I had pictures, serial numbers and receipts (which had been provided to the police, who were annoyed that I "wanted to come in and waste everyone's time; these things are never recovered"). After I confirmed with the pawn shop owner (who did NOT want to talk to me) that my instruments were indeed in his possession, and that they were on the list of stolen good provided by the police, the police contacted me and told me to just pay for them because it would take months to get them back, even after the person who stole them was prosecuted.

So yeah, I'll be blurring any serial numbers that I post. No one is trustworthy anymore. No one.

-Mark