PDA

View Full Version : Zinky Velveteen and Supro Sahara

WolfmansBrother
11-16-2012, 07:08 PM
http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff493/strattyblues/IMGP2314.jpg

I just wanted to share my thoughts on two outstanding amps. On the left is a [formerly] 50 watt Supro Sahara and on the right is a Zinky Velveteen (13 watts).

I bought the Velveteen about 2 months ago after looking for one for a long time. They are no longer made, and I believe the initial run was only about 100 or so. I saw this one on ebay and jumped on it, and I'm very glad I did. As Bruce puts it, this amp is "unapologetically" a performance amplifier. Even though it's pretty small, it is easily the loudest 13 watts I have ever heard, and the 12 inch speaker makes the amp sound huge. It has three controls: volume, gain, and tone, which are all I need on this amp. The cleans are nice and chimey, but the grind is what this amp is all about. It's definitely a crank it up and rock type of amplifier, and the one I go for when I just want to wail away and rip the paint off the walls. And I love the green velvet, too cool.

I've had the Sahara for about a year or so, but I recently sent it to Bruce for an upgrade to the circuit. He modified it to match the new 60 watt Supros that came out recently.

Here is a description:

The "60 Watt Sahara" has a SuproŽ power amp design that was used in vintage Supro amps from the 1940s to the 1960s, updated using our ultra high end transformers and higher than vintage voltages to achieve over 60 Watts, with ultra tight bass and low end extension unrivaled by any two output tube amplifier. Also, this design yields more glassy top end than other modern amplifiers. Overdriving the power tubes give you the classic rock sounds you know from hundreds of classic hits, with more crunch than their standard 50 Watt amps. With the versatile Treble, Bass and Midrange controls, the perfect amount of treble, bass and midrange can be dialed in at any volume for your perfect sound.

I really liked the amp before, but after the upgrade I am absolutely floored... My jaw was literally on the floor when I first plugged into it after the upgrade. It became a totally different amplifier. Everything is tighter and more "immediate;" unbelievable dynamics. The term "huge cleans" is definitely an apt description. Other than a Fromel Shape EQ, I plug straight in, and I want for nothing. Honestly, I can't play this amp enough. Bruce has something special with the new circuit design.

If you don't know about Zinkys or the new Supros, check 'em out. They rock.

Edit. I wanted to add a word about the quality of customer service that Bruce and Company provide. I have been a Zinky/Supro fan for a number of years now, and I have had nothing but great experiences with this company. Everyone that I have talked to through email and phone conversations (Bruce seems to answer the phone 9 times out of 10) have been incredibly nice, helpful, and obviously very knowledgable. Any problems or questions I've had are always taken care of in a "above and beyond" fashion. In an age of high priced boutique amplifiers, the Zinky/Supro line offers top of the line quality at a reasonable price, and, not to mention, lifetime warranties and great customer service.

chandlerman
11-16-2012, 11:23 PM
Love my Supro Sahara. Tell me more about this upgrade please.

WolfmansBrother
11-17-2012, 07:49 AM
Love my Supro Sahara. Tell me more about this upgrade please.

I don't know much about the technical aspects of the modification, other than it didn't involve replacing transformers and things of that nature, just the circuit. It was just something that Bruce mentioned he was using on the new Saharas and said that he could modify mine to match. His description of how it would change the sound/performance of the amplifier appealed to me (and was spot on, I found), so I decided to send the chassis in.

One thing to note, I believe that this circuit upgrade is limited to the 50 watt version only. Is your Sahara 25 or 50 watts (EL84 or 6L6)?

chandlerman
11-17-2012, 09:46 AM
Thanks for the info, I've got the 25 watt version. Wonderful amp. If anyone is interested there is one on eBay right now for only $625 (it's not mine).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160922919167?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

deeval
11-17-2012, 09:54 AM
Bruce Zinky Builds some outstanding tone amps I have a Tremolectric and it just rocks!
It should be listened to and played makes those expensive amps blush with envy
And Bruce,s customer service is next to the best he works with your amps to bring them up to new with just sending the amp to him:dude

coscos77
01-18-2013, 01:09 PM
WolfmansBrother is there any chance youd let go of the velveteen? I have been wanting to grab one for a while now and thought Id take the chance of asking you. Either way thanks for your time!